Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,743 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:52 PM

Automation Mentorship Class - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Automation Mentorship Class (4161 Views)

Work With Google & Earn In Dollars With Gopays Mentorship Program / Join a 3-Days Online Seminar On Fast Selling Products plus E-commerce Mentorship / Hire An Instrumentation And Automation Engineer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Automation Mentorship Class by ytdivine(m): 9:40am On Aug 16, 2023
In modern engineering practice, every other aspect of engineering be it mechanical, electrical, chemical, civil etc is electronically controlled.
Pastor wanted to address a large congregation but his voice cannot be heard, he needs an electronic system( speaker) to raise his voice. His voice is a physical quantity not an electrical signal. Here we need to convert his voice to electrical signal. We have discussed two forms of electrical signal before I.e. Digital and analog signals.
Anything that must be controlled electronically MUST be converted to electrical signal discussed above. For example, you may need to control flow of liquid may be in a refinery, movement of object or weight, other examples include temperature , pressure, and humidity control etc.
Whatever physical quantities you want to control, examples of such physical quantities:
Temperature
Pressure
Voice
Weigh
Height
Flow etc
Must be converted to electrical signal.
Here comes the man Transducer.
Transducer is an electronics device that converts physical quantities to an electrical signal.
Hope I have not confuse anybody

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Automation Mentorship Class by ytdivine(m): 10:15am On Aug 16, 2023
Signal we are talking about is just small values of voltage and current.
Let's refresh a bit.
In Electricity, we have three brothers(variables), their names are:
a. Voltage
b. Current
c. Resistance ( according to Ohms law)
To understand how each brother play a role in the field of electricity, let use this illustration.
I want to kill a bird perched on a tree. I want to use a small stone(variant) to execute the job. This stone is as useless as anything if force is not applied to it. I need another variant(force) to make the stone useful. Applying force on the stone using catapult has energized the stone (Kinetic energy) to hit the bird. One of the laws of physics says energy cannot be created or destroyed but can be converted from one form to the other.
Here, the kinetic energy from the stone is absorb by the bird, this energy now killed the bird
In summary
The stone is the CURRENT
The force on the stone is VOLTAGE
The bird is the LOAD (RESISTANCE (
These are variables meaning their values can be changed any time not constant.
For our domestic use, the
Voltage value is 220V ( fairly constant)
The current depends on the appliance (Load)
Remember, the stone that killed a bird may not kill a dog, higher animal require higher or bigger stone. The bigger the load(appliance), the more current it will draw from the NEPA system.
Hope by now, you know what current, voltage, and load stands for.
Hit the Likes button if this point is clear to you

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Automation Mentorship Class by Southboy(m): 10:41am On Aug 16, 2023
This makes sense
ytdivine:
In modern engineering practice, every other aspect of engineering be it mechanical, electrical, chemical, civil etc is electronically controlled.
Pastor wanted to address a large congregation but his voice cannot be heard, he needs an electronic system( speaker) to raise his voice. His voice is a physical quantity not an electrical signal. Here we need to convert his voice to electrical signal. We have discussed two forms of electrical signal before I.e. Digital and analog signals.
Anything that must be controlled electronically MUST be converted to electrical signal discussed above. For example, you may need to control flow of liquid may be in a refinery, movement of object or weight, other examples include temperature , pressure, and humidity control etc.
Whatever physical quantities you want to control, examples of such physical quantities:
Temperature
Pressure
Voice
Weigh
Height
Flow etc
Must be converted to electrical signal.
Here comes the man Transducer.
Transducer is an electronics device that converts physical quantities to an electrical signal.
Hope I have not confuse anybody

1 Like

Re: Automation Mentorship Class by Southboy(m): 10:55am On Aug 16, 2023
I had A1 in Physics in secondary school, but this is the first time I am grasping the concept of IVR.
Thank you very much
ytdivine:
Signal we are talking about is just small values of voltage and current.
Let's refresh a bit.
In Electricity, we have three brothers(variables), they names are:
a. Voltage
b. Current
c. Resistance ( according to Ohms law)
To understand how each brother play a role in the field of electricity, let use this illustration.
I want to kill a bird perched on a tree. I want to use a small stone(variant) to execute the job. This stone is as useless as anything if force is not applied to it. I need another variant(force) to make the stone useful. Applying force on the stone using catapult has energized the stone (Kinetic energy) to hit the bird. One of the laws of physics says energy cannot be created or destroyed but can be converted from one form to the other.
Here, the kinetic energy from the stone is absorb by the bird, this energy now killed the bird
In summary
The stone is the CURRENT
The force on the stone is VOLTAGE
The bird is the LOAD (RESISTANCE (
These are variables meaning their values can be changed any time not constant.
For our domestic use, the
Voltage value is 220V ( fairly constant)
The current depends on the appliance (Load)
Remember, the stone that killed a bird may not kill a dog, higher animal require higher or bigger stone. The bigger the load(appliance), the more current it will draw from the NEPA system.
Hope by now, you know what current, voltage, and load stands for.
Hit the Likes button if this point is clear to you

1 Like

Re: Automation Mentorship Class by ytdivine(m): 11:05am On Aug 16, 2023
Southboy:
I had A1 in Physics in secondary school, but this is the first time I am grasping the concept of IVR.
Thank you very much

Having A1 in physics make you over qualified in this Automaton class. One of my top boys doing well in this field studied physics.
Re: Automation Mentorship Class by Southboy(m): 11:08am On Aug 16, 2023
Interesting, can't wait to get started
ytdivine:

Having A1 in physics make you over qualified in this Automaton class. One of my top boys doing well in this field studied physics.

1 Like

Re: Automation Mentorship Class by Kingslaw(m): 1:31pm On Aug 16, 2023
ytdivine:

Have been looking for you. Where you hid all these while.
Good answer
thanks, Sir. I have been following and liking your posts Sir.
Re: Automation Mentorship Class by ytdivine(m): 6:08pm On Aug 16, 2023
If you have followed up to this level, I say congratulations.
We have established electrical signals and how they are being produced using transducers.
We shall move to another level but before that, let's do little exercise.

Name 3 examples of a Transducer. I want very active participation

2 Likes

Re: Automation Mentorship Class by Southboy(m): 7:21pm On Aug 16, 2023
1. Pressure sensor
2. Microphone
3. Thermocouple
ytdivine:
We have established electrical signals and how they are being produced using transducers.

2 Likes

Re: Automation Mentorship Class by Kingslaw(m): 7:25pm On Aug 16, 2023
ytdivine:

microphones, loudspeakers,
thermometers
Re: Automation Mentorship Class by bestbiz17: 7:41pm On Aug 16, 2023
Antenna
Thermometer
Pressure sensors
ytdivine:

Re: Automation Mentorship Class by bestbiz17: 7:42pm On Aug 16, 2023
Sir, like suggestion, let's have a WhatsApp or telegram class. And a structured timetable where we can interact. This will make this training more educative and impactful
ytdivine:

Re: Automation Mentorship Class by ytdivine(m): 8:06pm On Aug 16, 2023
bestbiz17:
Sir, like suggestion, let's have a WhatsApp or telegram class. And a structured timetable where we can interact. This will make this training more educative and impactful

WhatsApp or telegram limits the training to few people hence defeating the aim. This training is free and open to as many interested Nigerian youth as possible.
Grouping can come latter when I split the training into modules. After laying the foundation, we can go into modular forms. There are some aspect of the training that require strong brains, if I start something like PID control ( proportional integral differential), a lot will back out.
Let just keep going small small.
So far happy with available response

3 Likes

Re: Automation Mentorship Class by ytdivine(m): 8:23pm On Aug 16, 2023
Kingslaw:
microphones, loudspeakers,
thermometers

Speaker does opposite of Transducer. It converts electrical signal to sound wave. Speaker fall under what is called Inverse Transducer.
Good attempt

3 Likes

Re: Automation Mentorship Class by ytdivine(m): 8:49pm On Aug 16, 2023
Let's take a step further, these signals are used in control functions. Very soon, we shall look at control.
Electrical or electronics systems are built or designed to allow various electrical signals to pass through them. In electronics, there are small small components that makes up the electronics units. Each components behaves differently when these signals pass through them.
Let's take this illustration.
Consider three men
Mr A
Mr B
Mr C
Let's simulate them with a slap (Signal)
You will find out that each of them react differently.
Reactions
Mr A : May God bless you
Mr B: a doubled returned slap
Mr C: collapsed
You can see from this illustration that the responses are different even though there were all subjected to the same input signal ( slap)
In engineering, we call it transfer function.
This is another foundation, if we get this point very clear, we will not have problem understanding relay logic which will eventually transform to Ladder Logic.
We shall consider two energy storing electronics components and see how they respond to electrical signal
a. Capacitor
b. Inductor
Re: Automation Mentorship Class by ytdivine(m): 9:00pm On Aug 16, 2023
As we go on in this lesson, I will be tracking down some practicals to be performed
Number 1
How to measure
a. 24vdc
b. 0 - 10 v
c. 4 - 20mA
This is one of the job interview practicals.

1 Like

Re: Automation Mentorship Class by bestbiz17: 9:15pm On Aug 16, 2023
Alright sir, I am following your lead. And I want to ask that is there any option for internship for a undergraduate since schools are on holiday?

ytdivine:

WhatsApp or telegram limits the training to few people hence defeating the aim. This training is free and open to as many interested Nigerian youth as possible.
Grouping can come latter when I split the training into modules. After laying the foundation, we can go into modular forms. There are some aspect of the training that require strong brains, if I start something like PID control ( proportional integral differential), a lot will back out.
Let just keep going small small.
So far happy with available response
Re: Automation Mentorship Class by ytdivine(m): 7:15am On Aug 17, 2023
bestbiz17:
Alright sir, I am following your lead. And I want to ask that is there any option for internship for a undergraduate since schools are on holiday?

Not yet
Re: Automation Mentorship Class by ytdivine(m): 7:17am On Aug 17, 2023
To continue, let's do little exercise,
What do you understand about a capacitor?
Re: Automation Mentorship Class by Southboy(m): 9:30am On Aug 17, 2023
Capacitors are used to store charge. That's the secondary school definition I learnt
ytdivine:

1 Like

Re: Automation Mentorship Class by ytdivine(m): 4:16pm On Aug 17, 2023
I need more response. Others should respond as well

1 Like

Re: Automation Mentorship Class by Southboy(m): 6:53pm On Aug 17, 2023
Today is dull ooooo
Re: Automation Mentorship Class by zealousayo(m): 6:59pm On Aug 17, 2023
bestbiz17:
We should not be selfish. I have learnt many things from threads made as far back as 2008. The forum should be information and knowledge bank. That even in many years to come, people can still benefit from it.
Re: Automation Mentorship Class by ytdivine(m): 7:17pm On Aug 17, 2023
Southboy:
Today is dull ooooo

Yes, not my fault. When people respond to my question, it shows am not dealing with ghost hence more energy for me to dish out information.
I have made myself available, people should draw as much knowledge as possible from my over 15years hand on the job industrial experience

1 Like

Re: Automation Mentorship Class by ytdivine(m): 7:19pm On Aug 17, 2023
zealousayo:

We should not be selfish. I have learnt many things from threads made as far back as 2008. The forum should be information and knowledge bank. That even in many years to come, people can still benefit from it.

The suggestion was made because people were not responding. We want a very active class
Re: Automation Mentorship Class by ytdivine(m): 7:31pm On Aug 17, 2023
Let's move ahead.
Many of us live in a flat were borehole or well water supply is available to everyone via good water supply network courtesy of Plumber.
Let's consider two scenario
1. Situation where there is no overhead tank, water flows directly from the pump to about 4 block flats
2. Overhead tank is mounted and water is distributed to each flat via the tank.

Let's discuss again, I want an active participation.
Want happen in each of the scenario?
How does each flat enjoy or receive water?
Re: Automation Mentorship Class by Southboy(m): 7:45pm On Aug 17, 2023
ytdivine:
Let's move ahead.
Many of us live in a flat were borehole or well water supply is available to everyone via good water supply network courtesy of Plumber.
Let's consider two scenario
1. Situation where there is no overhead tank, water flows directly from the pump to about 4 block flatsonce the pumping machine stops working, water will stop running in all the flats
2. Overhead tank is mounted and water is distributed to each flat via the tank.Water will keep flowing after the pumping machine stop running

Let's discuss again, I want an active participation.
Want happen in each of the scenario?
How does each flat enjoy or receive water?
Re: Automation Mentorship Class by ytdivine(m): 8:00pm On Aug 17, 2023
I want to make it clear here to young graduates, you have to pursue knowledge with your strength. Don't Wait for it to be served to you.
In 2008 when I was doing my Master in control Engineering, University of Ilorin, our HOD then prof. Ibiyemi will issue you course outline and ask you to provide the materials by yourself. He may have two or three contacts with you if you're lucky before the exam.

My major mentor in this field, a polish man, Mr Arik, does not speak English very well, cut and join English, whenever I ask him certain questions, he will refer me to machine manual. These are things that you may never understand even when read several time except knowledgeable person explains it to you.
Do you know what my mentor will ask me?
He will ask, what language is the book written? I will answer English. Then, the next thing, you understand English more than me. Eventually, I will be the one that provided answer to my question.
Friends, don't be lazy, work out your salvation with fear and trembling. That's the Bible for you

1 Like

Re: Automation Mentorship Class by Southboy(m): 8:27pm On Aug 17, 2023
Following bumper to bumper
Re: Automation Mentorship Class by Kingslaw(m): 8:03am On Aug 18, 2023
ytdivine:
two-terminal electrical device that can store energy in the form of an electric charge. It consists of two electrical conductors that are separated by a distance
Re: Automation Mentorship Class by Kingslaw(m): 8:05am On Aug 18, 2023
ytdivine:
I want to make it clear here to young graduates, you have to pursue knowledge with your strength. Don't Wait for it to be served to you.
In 2008 when I was doing my Master in control Engineering, University of Ilorin, our HOD then prof. Ibiyemi will issue you course outline and ask you to provide the materials by yourself. He may have two or three contacts with you if you're lucky before the exam.

My major mentor in this field, a polish man, Mr Arik, does not speak English very well, cut and join English, whenever I ask him certain questions, he will refer me to machine manual. These are things that you may never understand even when read several time except knowledgeable person explains it to you.
Do you know what my mentor will ask me?
He will ask, what language is the book written? I will answer English. Then, the next thing, you understand English more than me. Eventually, I will be the one that provided answer to my question.
Friends, don't be lazy, work out your salvation with fear and trembling. That's the Bible for you
good morning Sir, been busy with my clearance so that I can go for service next month. I will be checking on every morning.
Re: Automation Mentorship Class by ytdivine(m): 10:25am On Aug 18, 2023
As a punishment for not doing my assignment, the following students should come to the front of the class and kneel down
Zealousayo, bestbiz17, eddyboy, new username, micros
You can stand up and get to your seat once you do your assignment.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Sterling Bank Cv Colection / Internet Assessor/ Web Evaluator/ Quality Rater With Google (freelance) / Baby Diapers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.