Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,275 members, 7,836,238 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:13 AM

CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board (23914 Views)

CBN May Not Clear FOREX Backlog — Report / New Note Crisis: CBN May Print Naira Abroad To Ease Cash Crunch / CBN May Devalue Naira Steeply After 2023 Elections - Bloomberg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by Eriokanmi: 1:30pm On Aug 14, 2023
joyandfaith:
Floating of naira is a bad idea. Forever restriction on 43 items doesn't make sense.
A very bad idea. Even those hailing the move at start are now wailing . They were thinking naira would never exceed 650 naira at the I&E window. Those who gave tinubu that idea simpy wanted him to fail. Now, they've succeeded.

There's no way both cost-push and demand-pull inflation won't keep rising. How can the local industry grow with this bad policy? Local industries too dey buy materials for abroad nah. No be everything dem dey get locally. Every cost incurred would be incorporated into the cost of product per unit. Its a very bad move by tinubu. We're beginning to spend like those in the west, when the standard of living isn't relative.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by Chucks13: 1:31pm On Aug 14, 2023
Meaning what? Loose control kwa?

Guys stop disturbing us with all these depressing news it make no sense.

Since some idiots have said they won't put politics aside, make Nigeria existence as their priority and refused to join hands to build our country then let's carry on with the doom no one should complain.

We all Artikulated in 2019 clearly Atiku won but court thrashed it out and we moved on but surprisingly some cursed demons who are number enemy of Nigeria their candidate was beaten blue black to 3rd position but vowed to destroy Nigeria, no wahala let's enjoys it together "A stubborn man is the boss of a strong man". (Alagidi loga alagbara) wallahi Tinubu will rule for 8 years unshaken so if your choice is to pull down the country through all means due to personal hatred for Tinubu and the Yorubas oya pull it down it will fall on all regardless region or tribe.

Pls if Naira like let it hit $1=N3,000 I don't care some countries worst than that heaven didn't fall.

CBN biko loss control okwa ya? Everyone will pay the prize but to think using all means to frustrate this country to pave way for that idiot called Obi I will never work bitch obi will never rule Nigeria in his lifetime it is a promise.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by yesloaded: 1:32pm On Aug 14, 2023
leokid866:
who told you they are the only power supplier? I live in Ogun and I have near 21 hours light.....I also have a bakery and light is the least of our problems

It's not the same across Ogun state and oyo state

Say what you know

Go to IBEDC Facebook page to confirm my claims

I can tell you areas enjoying steady power supply in Ibadan and some areas that enjoy less than cummulative of 1hr power supply in a month
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by me69: 1:36pm On Aug 14, 2023
The man started his presidency settling personal beefs with public office holders how is he going to succeed? They said Emiefele didn't know what he was doing buy in 3 months they have done worst than emefiele in 8 years. The anti corruption agencies will not work for Tinubu because of the way he has treated those institutions since becoming president. THIS IS JUAT THE BEGINNING, THE WORST MIGHT BE BE ON IT'S WAY

2 Likes

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by fx45(m): 1:37pm On Aug 14, 2023
Bovis:
CBN created the problems through Emefiele Naira redesign policy. Most of the naira he confiscated were not destroyed and have now found their way back into the system through corrupt CBN staff.

What is this illiterate rambling about? Like seriously? What has redesign got to do with the tanking value of the Naira?

2 Likes

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by VEHINTOLAR: 1:37pm On Aug 14, 2023
fx45:
Who voted for him? Maybe you and your likes... Because of Igbophobia

What's Igbophobia ? Mtcheww,that nonsense exists only in your head ! Why on earth do I need to fear any Igbo ? Igbo my foot ! You're not even in the equation as far as Nigeria is concerned ! Only mumus actually believed Peter Obi would win the last election. Believe it or not,it will be easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for any Igbo man or woman to become President of Nigeria !

I voted for Tinubu and I will do that 20 times over against any Igbo presidential candidate !

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by Panda7(m): 1:37pm On Aug 14, 2023
Tinubu is already a top flop.
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by Kingpowerful: 1:37pm On Aug 14, 2023
Now I have come to believe that Lagos developments are autopiloted and not any of Tinubu fallacy legacy.

1 Like

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by fx45(m): 1:39pm On Aug 14, 2023
VEHINTOLAR:

What's Igbophobia ? Mtcheww,that nonsense exists only in your head ! Why on earth do I need to fear any Igbo ? Igbo my foot ! You're not even in the equation as far as Nigeria is concerned ! Only mumus actually believed Peter Obi would win the last election. Believe it or not,it will be easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for any Igbo man or woman to become President of Nigeria !

I voted for Tinubu and I will do that 20 times over against any Igbo presidential candidate !
You didn't wait for me to finish before showing your true colour. Stop complaining. Relax we will enjoy the Tulumbu misgovernance together. It will favour you and your family.

Asiwaju lokan!
4x4 - 2031 lokan!

2 Likes

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by lizko(m): 1:41pm On Aug 14, 2023
Nigerians always have ways of rubishing it's laws. Buhari went sex months without appointing cabinet. Lows are made for new president to appoint his carbinet within 60days, next thing was sending nominee's in die minutes and in baches without profolio. Next is creating law again for nominating all at once with profolio, screening within 60days.
bjdon:
Almost 3 months since he was sworn in and Tinubu still not have his cabinet in place. People have been screened, how hard is it to at least get the ministers of finance, energy and industry in place?
Can you imagine a country like the US or UK going for almost 3 months without a Treasury Sec or Chancellor of the Exchequer?

We play too much in this country

1 Like

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by fx45(m): 1:42pm On Aug 14, 2023
Kingpowerful:
Now I have come to believe that Lagos developments are autopiloted and not any of Tinubu fallacy legacy.
What development? What single infrastructure did Tulumbu build in Lagos? Mention just one and I'll credit your account with N50k this afternoon.

1 Like

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by badoh(m): 1:43pm On Aug 14, 2023
obyno82:

Please are you for real? Don't you know that even Dangote himself is in dire need of FX, his refinery is not even 55% complete, forget all the paparazzi being played by Buhari and his 40 thieves.
Why would Buhari even commission a refinery that has not been completed let alone start operation? I know this decision was sold to him by some bad elements within his administration. Same things go to other Nigerian governors commissioning uncompleted projects few days to them leaving office.
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by worksmart(m): 1:54pm On Aug 14, 2023
Nigeria has a viral infection

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by discusant: 1:54pm On Aug 14, 2023
There is nothing Tinubu can do to stop the downward spiral of the Naira value against the other currencies in the world. The unprecedented rate at which the Naira depreciates every day since the beginning of Tinubu presidency is a clear message that Nigeria shall become a Pariah state with a president Tinubu; and that Tinubu is a wrong president for Nigeria
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by leokid866: 1:58pm On Aug 14, 2023
yesloaded:

It's not the same across Ogun state and oyo state

Say what you know

Go to IBEDC Facebook page to confirm my claims

I can tell you areas enjoying steady power supply in Ibadan and some areas that enjoy less than cummulative of 1hr power supply in a month

Oga I'm not arguing with you on IBEDC....and I said in "pockets" not all over the state....if you like move yourself and business closer to the pockets or stay and be fighting the BEDC....it will cost more but at least you have peace of mind on electricity supply.....
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by leokid866: 2:00pm On Aug 14, 2023
obyno82:

haaaa!! Fear God oooo you can lie for Africa
lol.....because you don't know it exists doesn't mean it doesn't exist......try and take a look at the electricity market and see all of its players.........
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by gannod(m): 2:00pm On Aug 14, 2023
EconomistXplain:
tinubu's major problem in the economy management is dangote who has refused to begin operation of his long awaited refinery project....

if he (dangote) does, then petrol import will stop... foreign exchange will b saved..huge demand for FX will decline...supply of FX will begin by major private firm....then naira and everything else will stabilize

grin grin grin
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by leokid866: 2:01pm On Aug 14, 2023
obyno82:

you are smoking dried cow dung.
okay....stay in your struggle then.....😁
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by CodeTemplar: 2:01pm On Aug 14, 2023
joyandfaith:
Floating of naira is a bad idea. Forever restriction on 43 items doesn't make sense.
it wasn't really a bad idea but was done hastily and wrongly.
If refineries were working and no dollar was needed for import of petrol, diesel and kerosene or gas, that would have gone a very long way in reducing the current demand of dollar and kept Naira much stronger.

Even petrol subsidy could have been maintained had the leakages they alleged was confronted for what it was - corruption - but they were only after cosmetics measures that will swing indices briefly. Economics is 99% production centered, we missed that part in black Africa.

1 Like

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by SIRTee15: 2:03pm On Aug 14, 2023
Cc nairalanda1

Nairaland number one armchair liberalisation economy champion.

So the question is when should govt intervene in their free fall economic agenda called liberalisation.
When fuel becomes 2000 naira per litre or when one dollar is 2000 naira.

God bless u as u answer.
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by Cromagnon: 2:04pm On Aug 14, 2023
joyandfaith:
so making cbn governor round tripping God is a good idea?
Has naira ever sold at noon float price? Or black market

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by obyno82: 2:06pm On Aug 14, 2023
leokid866:
lol.....because you don't know it exists doesn't mean it doesn't exist......try and take a look at the electricity market and see all of its players.........
Oga just have shame and stop lying abeg
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by Cromagnon: 2:07pm On Aug 14, 2023
yesloaded:

You need 247 stable power supply

He has privatized electricity
Unfortunately this is coming 50yrs late so cannot happen overnight

Adequate security

Good government policy
meantime a good govt policy

To achieve what you suggested
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by Cromagnon: 2:09pm On Aug 14, 2023
SmartPolician:

Do you know what it takes to produce something in this country?

How will you power your machines? With diesel or petrol that's very expensive?

In fact, many people would prefer to import things than produce in Nigeria because importing from China is cheaper than producing in Nigeria.

Nigeria has no enabling infrastructure for driving businesses like steady power supply. If you run on diesel, you will incur huge losses.
but how are the multi nationals doing it
Brewries
Coke
Levee Brothers etc
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by Kukutente23: 2:10pm On Aug 14, 2023
9jatriot:
Hmmm, would this not give victory to the so called cabal who need us to continue the regime of subsidy.

Is it possible they are the ones fighting back and fighting dirty? Many of the things you have suggested look like things we have been trying since God knows when. Take the issue of repairing the refineries. Remember Kachukwu (former minister of petroleum) staked his reputation then that the refinery under his watch will start working in 2 years also.

With all news coming from CBN, can we really afford to continue with trying to defend the naira? As a matter of fact, if we even get the dollar component right, the subsidy removal will resolve itself. If the dollar takes a consistent value for about 1 year, then industries can plan better but when today it is 800, tomorrow it jumps straight to 850 and now even 805 then all the permutations goes out of the window.

For me, it is the dollar part that worries me the most.

You guys will not stop deceiving yourselves. Who are the subsidy cabal? Can you give us their names? There's no cabal anywhere other than govt inefficiency and corruption which they just codenamed cabal to divorce themselves from culpability.
Now that subsidy has been removed, who has been able to import petrol? Why not? Is it the cabal that's stopping the importation by private bodies? Nigeria's systems have been bastardised by our ruling elite and they are still not contrite enough to stop. They only need useful idiots among the populace to provide cover for them.

3 Likes

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by Basicend: 2:11pm On Aug 14, 2023
They have already lost it.

Terrible planning by Tinubu and his govt over this naira policy.

1 Like

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by Coronavirus1: 2:11pm On Aug 14, 2023
SmartPolician:
For floating the naira knowing that Nigeria runs an import-dependent economy, Ebola no just get sense. $1 may reach #1k before December 2023.
Which December next weekend?

1 Like

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by worksmart(m): 2:13pm On Aug 14, 2023
There could is no benefit or Nigeria in devaluation since we do not export much and oil that we do export is traded in dollars and has it price set by OPEC
Even then Japan or no reponsible country allows it's currency to go into free fall.
AsomughaChuks05:
This is an opportunity for Nigerian entrepreneurs to start local manufacturing of most of the things Nigeria imports. It is the only panacea to reverse high rate of joblessness in the economy. It is an apt response to the current situation of the economy. Check out Japan. They became the second largest economy in the world until recently by heavily devaluing their currency against the dollar. Tinubu is on the right path.
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by themanderon: 2:16pm On Aug 14, 2023
This naira I am seeing will soon go the way of the defunct Zimbabwean dollar. It only goes up and doesn't come down. If they truly want the value to rise they should ban all politicians from maintaining bank accounts out of the shores of Nigeria. Naira will return to it's default value but will they ever do this? Naaa.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by joyandfaith: 2:19pm On Aug 14, 2023
Cromagnon:
so making cbn governor round tripping God is a good idea?
Has naira ever sold at noon float price? Or black market

Why should poor people suffer from few corrupt government officials? Subsidy was also removed on petrol because NCS cannot stop smuggling .
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by joyandfaith: 2:19pm On Aug 14, 2023
CodeTemplar:
it wasn't really a bad idea but was done hastily and wrongly.
If refineries were working and no dollar was needed for import of petrol, diesel and kerosene or gas, that would have gone a very long way in reducing the current demand of dollar and kept Naira much stronger.

Even petrol subsidy could have been maintained had the leakages they alleged was confronted for what it was - corruption - but they were only after cosmetics measures that will swing indices briefly. Economics is 99% production centered, we missed that part in black Africa.

Exactly
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by Neoteny7: 2:29pm On Aug 14, 2023
SalamRushdie:
I called this first many weeks ago and I never call Anything wrong ..like I said then Tinubu had lost control of of the economy because of his poorly implemented fuel and Naira deregulation and remember I predicted that that naira will get to 1200 to a dollar and Petro 1050 per litre abd Tinubu will be forced to start regulating them again other to save his govt from a popular uprising....Nigerians will be the ultimate losers

All these armchair economists with their agricultural IQ are sprouting all over the place claiming some kind of economic expertise when they're likely jobless trolls misusing the token 10mb MTN gives away to the needy and destitute.

Imagine the nerve thinking you know more than the seasoned experts.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How To Register A Business In Nigeria / Landmark Reopens After FG Demolished Beach Front Facilities / Flutterwave Shuts Down Barter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.