Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,436 members, 7,815,986 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:49 PM

Do Not Sell What You Don’t Have - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Do Not Sell What You Don’t Have (14393 Views)

10 Things You Are Missing If You Don’t Understand The Quran / You Don’t Know How To Love (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Not Sell What You Don’t Have by akinsmail51: 7:24am On Aug 17, 2023
And from the forbidden types of business transactions is: When a man sells something that he doesn’t own.

For example, a man goes to a businessman looking for a specific product, but this businessman doesn’t have this specific product. Yet they both agree to a contract (for the sale of the product) and agree on the extent of the price (on the item) presently or in the future. And all the while, the product is not found in the possession of the businessman or the buyer.

Then the businessman goes and buys this product and hands it over to the buyer after they already agreed to a price and they made a contract and determined the value as it relates to present terms or in the future.

So this kind of business transaction is haraam. Why?

Because he sold something he didn’t own and he sold something before gaining possession of it, if the product was specified.

As for if the product was not specified and its price was delayed, he actually sold a debt on credit. The Messenger of Allaah (sallAllaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) forbade us from doing that, as was the case when Hakeem bin Hazaam (radyAllaahu ‘anhu) came to him, saying:

“O Messenger of Allaah, what if a man comes to me wanting to buy something from me, but I don’t have it. Then I go to the marketplace and buy it for him?”

The Prophet (sallAllaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said:

“Do not sell what you don’t have.”

This is a clear cut forbiddance, therefore it is not permissible for a person to sell some specified commodity unless he is in possession of it before making a contract on it, whether he will sell it right there or in the future.

It is not permissible to take this matter lightly.

So whoever wants to sell something to the people, then he should store the products in his store or in his shop or in a warehouse or in the trunk of his car or in his office, so that he can have the products ready with him.

Then if some people who want to buy the products come to him, he can sell it to them directly or at a later time.

Posted from: Forbidden Business Transactions– by Shaikh Saalih al-Fawzaan

7 Likes

Re: Do Not Sell What You Don’t Have by Incognito403: 12:20pm On Sep 01, 2023
Experience and common sense confirm that this is perfect. Unfortunately, human covetousness and greed won't let many agree.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Not Sell What You Don’t Have by Amumaigwe: 12:23pm On Sep 01, 2023
akinsmail51:
And from the forbidden types of business transactions is: When a man sells something that he doesn’t own.

For example, a man goes to a businessman looking for a specific product, but this businessman doesn’t have this specific product. Yet they both agree to a contract (for the sale of the product) and agree on the extent of the price (on the item) presently or in the future. And all the while, the product is not found in the possession of the businessman or the buyer.

Then the businessman goes and buys this product and hands it over to the buyer after they already agreed to a price and they made a contract and determined the value as it relates to present terms or in the future.

Because he sold something he didn’t own and he sold something before gaining possession of it, if the product was specified.

As for if the product was not specified and its price was delayed, he actually sold a debt on credit. The Messenger of Allaah (sallAllaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) forbade us from doing that, as was the case when Hakeem bin Hazaam (radyAllaahu ‘anhu) came to him, saying:

“O Messenger of Allaah, what if a man comes to me wanting to buy something from me, but I don’t have it. Then I go to the marketplace and buy it for him?”

This is a clear cut forbiddance, therefore it is not permissible for a person to sell some specified commodity unless he is in possession of it before making a contract on it, whether he will sell it right there or in the future.

So whoever wants to sell something to the people, then he should store the products in his store or in his shop or in a warehouse or in the trunk of his car or in his office, so that he can have the products ready with him.

Then if some people who want to buy the products come to him, he can sell it to them directly or at a later time.

Everything is haram including your phones you used to post this. We have heard you.
BTW, tell us the right way to poo to avoid haram.

50 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Do Not Sell What You Don’t Have by Incognito403: 12:24pm On Sep 01, 2023
Amumaigwe:

Everything is haram including your phones you used to post this. We have heard you.
BTW, tell us the right way to poo to avoid haram.
Hypertension loading...

2 Likes

Re: Do Not Sell What You Don’t Have by Waqes900: 12:24pm On Sep 01, 2023
What of my pussy

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Not Sell What You Don’t Have by Padipadi(m): 12:35pm On Sep 01, 2023
Peace is what some muslims sell but they don't have it. It's a disgrace!
There are subtle ways to win Ilorin Traditional Religion Worshipers to Islam but it was taken in a wrong way. That's why one Alfa talked like he has weed by threatening people in a land that's not controlled by sharia law but the constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria. If it's a fulani agenda to covert Ilorin as part of the north, let the world know. And if it's Yoruba muslims in Ilorin that thinks they prefer to embrace Islam more, let's know. It's better to know your enemy than having snakes as family members. However there's a constitution of Nigeria that still exist and said anyone can practice what they like anywhere. So if people should not think they v laws in their religion or land let the world know so that we ll know how to deal with each other. You give me food I give you food. You served me stone I serve you stone, shikena!
My advise to muslims. Live and let live. Hunt others and you ll be hunted too. No let this verse for Ishmael in (Genesis 16:12) affect una cos even Jabez prayed for a better life after his mom gave birth to him in sorrow and named him a sorrowful name 1 Chronicles 4:9.

Now, overzealousness is making one of you to be dragged? It's a disgrace to islam cos you guys have awaken aluta in Isese people: https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/isese-police-arrest-wanted-kwara-islamic-cleric/%3famp

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do Not Sell What You Don’t Have by aktolly54(m): 12:48pm On Sep 01, 2023
To start with, am christian and Jesus is lord and my savior.

My question is what if he sell the products and is out of stock then the buyer pay in advance for the seller, is it not harram or what? Just want to know.

PS: I come in peace, aterall Muslim comments on christian post without swearing or something.

21 Likes

Re: Do Not Sell What You Don’t Have by amstamon: 12:58pm On Sep 01, 2023
Nemo dat quod non habet grin grin grin
It's called a Nemo dat rule!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do Not Sell What You Don’t Have by 900warriorz: 1:20pm On Sep 01, 2023
Very True...I borrowed money to do Ponzi recently and lost the money. Now, I am in debt....see wetin greed cause me
Re: Do Not Sell What You Don’t Have by U09ce: 1:26pm On Sep 01, 2023
Very relevant for our times. Many times what people post on their WhatsApp statuses are not readily available. You'll pay for a particular item but they will come to you saying that "it is finished" "the quantity can't fulfil your order" "it will be available in 2 months time because it's on on transit from China"! This damages relationships. That's why I prefer physical stores or online stores. Islam is a guidance for mankind

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do Not Sell What You Don’t Have by Ibkhaleel001: 1:53pm On Sep 01, 2023
aktolly54:
To start with, am christian and Jesus is lord and my savior.

My question is what if he sell the products and is out of stock then the buyer pay in advance for the seller, is it not harram or what? Just want to know.

PS: I come in peace, aterall Muslim comments on christian post without swearing or something.
First of all Jesus is not the lord , Jesus is only a servant of God...a peophet sent to the jews act 3:13, and mathew proves that!

Secondly Islam is very clear in bussiness rullings

It discourages deceit nd lies....u only sell what you have, but u dnt have it nd want to sell..den u shuld be clear to the buyer nd b truthful that u wl get it from elsewhere..hop ds answers ur question

Allah knows best

3 Likes

Re: Do Not Sell What You Don’t Have by Ibkhaleel001: 1:56pm On Sep 01, 2023
Padipadi:
Peace is what some muslims sell but they don't have it.
There are subtle ways to win Ilorin Traditional Religion Worshipers to Islam but it was taken in a wrong way. That's why one Alfa can a t like he has weed to threaten people in a land that's not controlled by sharia law but the constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria.
My advise to muslims. Live and let live. Hunt others and you ll be hunted too. No let this verse affect una!
See as overzealousness is making one of you to be dragged? It's a disgrace. https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/isese-police-arrest-wanted-kwara-islamic-cleric/%3famp
muslims are d most peaceful people on earth...we r tolerant because islam teaches us to be...if we r not peaceful then no Christian wil breath in Nigeria! We r d majority nd we act silently nd allow u control a lot..

So next tym u open ur gutter mouth to speak against Muslims know that we r only tolerant because of Islam

1 Like

Re: Do Not Sell What You Don’t Have by aktolly54(m): 1:58pm On Sep 01, 2023
Ibkhaleel001:
First of all Jesus is not the lord , Jesus is only a servant of God...a peophet sent to the jews act 3:13, and mathew proves that!

Secondly Islam is very clear in bussiness rullings

It discourages deceit nd lies....u only sell what you have, but u dnt have it nd want to sell..den u shuld be clear to the buyer nd b truthful that u wl get it from elsewhere..hop ds answers ur question

Allah knows best
thank you, may peace be unto you.
Re: Do Not Sell What You Don’t Have by LordReed(m): 2:06pm On Sep 01, 2023
akinsmail51:

This is primitive reasoning from an age where all production could be done and stored in a singular facility. These days production is done in such scales that some products cannot be produced or stored in a single location. Take the production of microchips for instance, the fabricators need to sign contracts years in advance because production capacity is limited and there is high demand for that capacity. The principle trying to be expressed here would effectively cripple the production of microchips and all the products that rely on them.

I dunno why people continue to think that an idea is good simply because it has age or some religious slant. Bad ideas are bad no matter whose is giving it.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Not Sell What You Don’t Have by OlalekanMultiD(m): 2:13pm On Sep 01, 2023
MashaAllah
Re: Do Not Sell What You Don’t Have by Padipadi(m): 3:58pm On Sep 01, 2023
Ibkhaleel001:
muslims are d most peaceful people on earth...we r tolerant because islam teaches us to be...if we r not peaceful then no Christian wil breath in Nigeria! We r d majority nd we act silently nd allow u control a lot..

So next tym u open ur gutter mouth to speak against Muslims know that we r only tolerant because of Islam
Really?
Who gave you the statistics?
Point of correction, no religion is known to be the most populous. Whether you are here to catch cruise or you are a serious janjaweêd you can do your worst Ibkhaleel aka boy with the real gutter mouth! Seems your Yoruba name is Ibukun. Are you the opposite of it? As in your name means the cursed one?
To hell with you!
A religion that's tolerant doesn't need advert!

3 Likes

Re: Do Not Sell What You Don’t Have by YakubuA: 5:02pm On Sep 01, 2023
LordReed:

This is primitive reasoning from an age where all production could be done and stored in a singular facility. These days production is done in such scales that some products cannot be produced or stored in a single location. Take the production of microchips for instance, the fabricators need to sign contracts years in advance because production capacity is limited and there is high demand for that capacity. The principle trying to be expressed here would effectively cripple the production of microchips and all the products that rely on them.

I dunno why people continue to think that an idea is good simply because it has age or some religious slant. Bad ideas are bad no matter whose is giving it.

No it is not. The example you give here is placing order for production which is allowed in Islam and has its own different rules. You need to read The Economic System of Islam to fully comprehend what he said and where it apply.
Re: Do Not Sell What You Don’t Have by LordReed(m): 7:25pm On Sep 01, 2023
YakubuA:

No it is not. The example you give here is placing order for production which is allowed in Islam and has its own different rules. You need to read The Economic System of Islam to fully comprehend what he said and where it apply.

In what way is the principle expressed in the OP different from creating contracts for goods and services that are not yet in possession of any of the parties to the contract?

(1) (Reply)

Saudi-Arabia To Reduce Nigeria’s Hajj Slots / Translating 'Allah' As 'God' / The Land Of Karbala In The Words Of The Prophet Muhammad (sa)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.