Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,036 members, 7,810,844 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:48 PM

Nigerian Parents Need To Allow Their Daughters Leave Toxic Marriages - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nigerian Parents Need To Allow Their Daughters Leave Toxic Marriages (13958 Views)

Lady Advises Nigerian Women To Allow Their Husbands Cheat, Have Sex Outside / How Akwa Ibom Makes Their Daughters Unmarried Via Marriage List / Dads That Don’t Want To See You Dating Their Daughters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Parents Need To Allow Their Daughters Leave Toxic Marriages by Nobody: 10:27pm On Aug 18, 2023
Why is it that even when it is so clear from all indications that your daughter is married to an irresponsible man who is toxic. Nigerian parents will still say endure and stay there.

A lot of married young ladies are down with depression and even high BP because of marital stress. But they have to remain there. It's just so sad

52 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Parents Need To Allow Their Daughters Leave Toxic Marriages by MrsTwrite(f): 10:31pm On Aug 18, 2023
Those parents must be toxic.

33 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents Need To Allow Their Daughters Leave Toxic Marriages by Puss360(f): 10:37pm On Aug 18, 2023
The duty of a parent is to train their daughters to know themselves...
If you know yourself, you will know that from 20 yrs is now an adult and at that age any of your actions has to be taken with care....
From that age You should know when you feel you are ready for marriage, nobody should coerce you ..
You should also know the kind of man you are getting married to, nobody should know the man more than you....
If along the lane of marriage, you discover some toxic behaviour, decision to leave should rest on your shoulder Nd not your parents...

Remember, it's your marriage, it's your husband...
Not theirs...

101 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerian Parents Need To Allow Their Daughters Leave Toxic Marriages by JaneYave(f): 10:39pm On Aug 18, 2023
An adult should know what is good for them. Save yourself before you expect others to save you! I think the church is a strong factor as well, Thank God a few are gaining understanding

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Parents Need To Allow Their Daughters Leave Toxic Marriages by Nobody: 10:48pm On Aug 18, 2023
BrighterThanDay:
Why is it that even when it is so clear from all indications that your daughter is married to an irresponsible man who is toxic. Nigerian parents will still say endure and stay there.

A lot of married young ladies are down with depression and even high BP because of marital stress. But they have to remain there. It's just so sad

My dear, it's painful because at the end of the day, you are leaving a toxic marriage but you don't have your family to fall back on because they wanted you to remain there. That can be a very lonely place. I feel after a breakup, this is the time for your parents and siblings to shower you with the most love, but this is not always the case, certain parents even see it as you bringing shame to the family, just because you put your emotional and physical well-being first.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Parents Need To Allow Their Daughters Leave Toxic Marriages by judatech: 10:48pm On Aug 18, 2023
This thing called marriage especially in 9ja is one big scam!
Don't ask me how...
The relationship itself is boring and I can't stand boredom...
Everybody is acting a script...from the parents, pastor or wherever...

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Parents Need To Allow Their Daughters Leave Toxic Marriages by Nobody: 11:03pm On Aug 18, 2023
judatech:
Don't ask me how...

So true! And no one says anything until you enter and then you are like some body should have told me grin but it's too late cry
The ladies who leave or manage to speak up are tagged bad and you shouldn't be like them. It's when you enter that you realize that may be there weren't that bad after all, they just got tired of the whole bullshit!

16 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents Need To Allow Their Daughters Leave Toxic Marriages by frozen70(f): 4:57am On Aug 19, 2023
BrighterThanDay:

I blame them for staying in that abusive and toxic marriages not their parents

She is the one feeling the pains not her parents

So if she has determined to get out of it, she knows where the door is

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents Need To Allow Their Daughters Leave Toxic Marriages by DenreleDave(m): 7:20am On Aug 19, 2023
JaneYave:
An adult should know what is good for them. Save yourself before you expect others to save you! I think the church is a strong factor as well, Thank e few are gaining understanding

A lady that values her life won't look at parents and church concerns before quitting the death relationship

If a lady is not worthless without her husband money, she will not look her parents or church before leaving an abusive marriage

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Parents Need To Allow Their Daughters Leave Toxic Marriages by DenreleDave(m): 7:21am On Aug 19, 2023
frozen70:

I blame them for staying in that abusive and toxic marriages not their parents

She is the one feeling the pains not her parents

So if she has determined to get out of it, she knows where the door is

You think it is so easy?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents Need To Allow Their Daughters Leave Toxic Marriages by DenreleDave(m): 7:22am On Aug 19, 2023
judatech:
Don't ask me how...

Marriage is not scam.. Na scammers dey enter marriage

Marriage is not a scam.. I have seen few people that I wish to have sumtin like them.. Not that they are perfect but they did well with their marriage...

26 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents Need To Allow Their Daughters Leave Toxic Marriages by frozen70(f): 7:56am On Aug 19, 2023
DenreleDave:

You think it is so easy?

So which one is easy

For a married woman to walk out of abusive marriage alive with her children

Or for a married woman's corpse to be carried out of that house and her children becoming motherless with a loveless father

9 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents Need To Allow Their Daughters Leave Toxic Marriages by DenreleDave(m): 8:31am On Aug 19, 2023
frozen70:

So which one is easy

For a married woman to walk out of abusive marriage alive with her children

Or for a married woman's corpse to be carried out of that house and her children becoming motherless with a loveless father

Many endure bcox of their kids... They don't have the power to cater for them, so they stay with their abusive partner and endure as long as their kids are "fine"

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents Need To Allow Their Daughters Leave Toxic Marriages by Nobody: 8:52am On Aug 19, 2023
DenreleDave:

Many endure bcox of their kids... They don't have the power to cater for them, so they stay with their abusive partner and endure as long as their kids are "fine"

So are you saying as long as a woman can care for your kids and herself, then it's best she leaves.
I thought according to our tradition the children belong to the man?
Can a woman leave with her kids? Except for the obvious running away? I need a sincere and informed answer to this.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents Need To Allow Their Daughters Leave Toxic Marriages by DenreleDave(m): 9:02am On Aug 19, 2023
BrighterThanDay:

So are you saying as long as a woman can care for your kids and herself, then it's best she leaves.
I thought according to our tradition the children belong to the man?
Can a woman leave with her kids? Except for the obvious running away? I need a sincere and informed answer to this.

1. I didn't say the bolded

2a. In a case where a woman can take care of her kids, if she is able to provide for them without the help of the abusive man, it is necessary she leaves with them especially for young ones. An abusive man is not safe with kids.

2b. If na the woman dey toxic, then the kids are not safe with her. It should be left to the husband.

3. The kids staying wth their mother doesn't mean they don't belong to their father be it abusive or not. They are their father's kid.

4. Whether running a way or not, the moment she feels she & her kids are not safe with her husband, then she do whatever she can do to secure their lives.

5. Tradition doesn't cover marital abuse

I hope we are clear on this

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Parents Need To Allow Their Daughters Leave Toxic Marriages by oluwaseyi0: 3:27pm On Aug 19, 2023
Because those parents sold their daughter

Abolish dowry and expensive marriage list and you will see a wonderful turnaround in women happiness in marriage

You can't eat your cake and have it back

A white lady can easily walk out of marriage because even in marriage she is a free human no one bought her same can't be said of most African ladies

Their is a case of my friend sister who dowry is 300k after marriage this young lady of barely 25 is seeing renew shege in her husband house, this husband is so 'cunning' that he will never beat the wife but the shege the wife is seeing is worse than been beaten

When wife was pregnant she told wife to go leave with her family so they could take care of her proper throughout pregnancy man never visit wife in her family house, wife gave birth through CS and husband never show up for 4 days, child dedication husband no show

So so many unspeakable attitude and behavior because he bought the lady at a premium price

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Parents Need To Allow Their Daughters Leave Toxic Marriages by sofeo(m): 3:38pm On Aug 19, 2023
Of course, it's necessary.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Parents Need To Allow Their Daughters Leave Toxic Marriages by id4sho(m): 3:39pm On Aug 19, 2023
tongue
Re: Nigerian Parents Need To Allow Their Daughters Leave Toxic Marriages by wittywriter: 3:39pm On Aug 19, 2023
Spot On.

Wittyness

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Parents Need To Allow Their Daughters Leave Toxic Marriages by ecolime(m): 3:39pm On Aug 19, 2023
As usual, Naija women are always the saints while the men are the devil.

The guys no kuku dey marry again, make the saints dey marry themselves.

Yeye dey smell

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Parents Need To Allow Their Daughters Leave Toxic Marriages by Nobody: 3:40pm On Aug 19, 2023
Do you need you need anyone to tell you to leave a toxic marriage?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents Need To Allow Their Daughters Leave Toxic Marriages by Brownville007: 3:40pm On Aug 19, 2023
If you remain in an abusive relationship because of financial gains or cos of the mentality that you can't start afresh , it's a choice.

That does not make you a survivor or a victim. You chose to stay for Personal reasons

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents Need To Allow Their Daughters Leave Toxic Marriages by Savedday2: 3:40pm On Aug 19, 2023
Really? Between 9ja men and women who is more toxic?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Parents Need To Allow Their Daughters Leave Toxic Marriages by sammirano: 3:41pm On Aug 19, 2023
grin
Re: Nigerian Parents Need To Allow Their Daughters Leave Toxic Marriages by ahnie: 3:41pm On Aug 19, 2023
oluwaseyi0:
Because those parents sold their daughter

Abolish dowry and expensive marriage list and you will see a wonderful turnaround in women happiness in marriage

You can't eat your cake and have it back

A white lady can easily walk out of marriage because even in marriage she is a free human no one bought her same can't be said of most African ladies

Their is a case of my friend sister who dowry is 300k after marriage this young lady of barely 25 is seeing renew shege in her husband house, this husband is so 'cunning' that he will never beat the wife but the shege the wife is seeing is worse than been beaten

When wife was pregnant she told wife to go leave with her family so they could take care of her proper throughout pregnancy man never visit wife in her family house, wife gave birth through CS and husband never show up for 4 days, child dedication husband no show

So so many unspeakable attitude and behavior because he bought the lady at a premium price
I watched a video on TikTok this morning where a man slapped n brush the mother of his son in the presence of the content creator.i wept.
If it the content creator was to be untouchable comedies swears he would have beaten the woman's Husband blue n black.
Re: Nigerian Parents Need To Allow Their Daughters Leave Toxic Marriages by Righteousness2(m): 3:41pm On Aug 19, 2023
Leaving your home is not the answer.

Marriages fail today because many build their marriages on false foundations.
When you build your home on false or faulty foundation, there are consequences.

If you follow God's will and way, no matter what happens, your home will stand.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents Need To Allow Their Daughters Leave Toxic Marriages by Nazgul: 3:42pm On Aug 19, 2023
It boils down to religion. A lot of parents believe that divorce is a sign that the devil has destroyed your home, that's why they'll encourage their daughters to pray, fast attend programs...etc so that their irresponsible husbands can change rather than leave that abusive marriage.

Pastors too are not helping matters, rather than advise these women who are victims of abusive marriages to call it quits, they'll keep using prayers to extort them until either they die or the husband throws them out of his house, or he just decides to change on his own. If the latter is the case, the pastor would take all the credit and the woman would become his subject for life.

This is why I do advise women not to go into marriage empty handed. A broke woman is a valueless woman. Your husband would treat you like trash cos he knows that you can't survive on your own without him.

But that same man would respect you if you he meets you as independent woman. Cos there's nothing he can use to hold you back.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Parents Need To Allow Their Daughters Leave Toxic Marriages by pongwa(m): 3:42pm On Aug 19, 2023
BrighterThanDay:

you are talking in the rubbish. Give the full story or stfu

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Parents Need To Allow Their Daughters Leave Toxic Marriages by Sultty(m): 3:42pm On Aug 19, 2023
Ask parents what they are teaching their children before and after the marriage. What ideas are they impacting into them; then u will be shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Court Dissolves 30-day-old Marriage, Asks Woman To Refund Dowry / Strict Parents Raise The Best Children. / My Visit To Agodi gardens Located at Ibadan,Nigeria (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.