Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,259 members, 7,839,311 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 04:43 PM

Medical Doctor Slumps And D!es At FMC While Working Extra Calls As Punishment - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Medical Doctor Slumps And D!es At FMC While Working Extra Calls As Punishment (2359 Views)

People Without Face-Masks In Indonesia Dig Grave As Punishment / Doctor Slumps On Duty In Kogi Hospital (photo) / Conjoined Twins Separated At FMC Yola: New Look (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Medical Doctor Slumps And D!es At FMC While Working Extra Calls As Punishment by Starseed(m): 12:57am On Aug 19, 2023
A Registrar who was working at Federal university Teaching hospital (FMC), Owerri has slumped and d!ed after working extra call duty as punishment. A reliable source claimed that the hardworking doctor identified as Dr Eric Nwosu, who was a a graduate of Uniport and Registrar in the department of Pediatrics FMC Owerri, was given extra 1 week call duty as a punishment because a patient died in his unit when he was off duty. Report has it that after clinical meeting (Mortality review) was held, an extra 1 week call duty punishment (making it 2 weeks) in Emergency pediatric unit (EPU) was given to everyone in his unit due to the death of the patient that died in his unit.

However, Dr Eric who was a known hypertensive finished the 2weeks punishment and went for an event in Lagos to join a choir. While performing with the choir, he slumped. He was quickly taken to the hospital where it was found out that he had haemorrhagic stroke (bleeding in the brain) via Brain CT scan.

He later had craniotomy (piercing through the skull and removing the blood in the brain) and was placed in the ICU. He had first cardiac arrest which he was resuscitated but had another cardiac arrest with multiple organ failure on Friday,18 August, 2023. But unfortunately, he wasn't resuscitated after all measures failed and he d!ed.

This is a big loss to the Medical body as a vibrant and hardworking doctor was lost due to apparently work overload in the medical practice.

May God grant his family, FECAMDS, NMA, ARD and Uniport alumni Grace to bear the irreparable loss.

RIP Dr Eric Chima Nwosu cry

Re: Medical Doctor Slumps And D!es At FMC While Working Extra Calls As Punishment by Decolonel(m): 1:06am On Aug 19, 2023
Cheeii... Nigeria has happened to this handsome Doctor. But while punish doctor that was not on duty when a patient died.? This is a hidden modern day slavery.

No wonder doctors and nurses are traveling abroad on daily basis because of this kind of news.

RIP to the dead. My condolences to the family

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Medical Doctor Slumps And D!es At FMC While Working Extra Calls As Punishment by wrongman665(m): 1:33am On Aug 19, 2023
Even doctors are dyin, no one is save. O God' deliver me and my family from untimely death, Amen
Re: Medical Doctor Slumps And D!es At FMC While Working Extra Calls As Punishment by Nwodosis(m): 1:34am On Aug 19, 2023
It is just his time to die, the extra one week call punishment is not the cause.
Re: Medical Doctor Slumps And D!es At FMC While Working Extra Calls As Punishment by FreeStuffsNG: 1:59am On Aug 19, 2023
wrongman665:
Even doctors are dyin, no one is save. O God' deliver me and my family from untimely death, Amen
I am sure you did not read the report. He finished his job and came down to Lagos for a choir event.
Even the FMC , Owerri itself must be investigated. Most jobs are demanding and when you work long hours, it's better to rest. He didn't rest and that's so sad. May God console his family and associates.

1 Like

Re: Medical Doctor Slumps And D!es At FMC While Working Extra Calls As Punishment by Visocrate(m): 2:13am On Aug 19, 2023
It’s not easy anywhere, may perpetual light shine on his soul as he Rests In Peace
Re: Medical Doctor Slumps And D!es At FMC While Working Extra Calls As Punishment by Nobody: 4:41am On Aug 19, 2023
😭
Re: Medical Doctor Slumps And D!es At FMC While Working Extra Calls As Punishment by layzie: 5:00am On Aug 19, 2023
This topic is misleading abeg. Op do the needful.
He didn't die "while working extra calls as punishment". Put things in proper perspective.

3 Likes

Re: Medical Doctor Slumps And D!es At FMC While Working Extra Calls As Punishment by franchasofficia: 5:03am On Aug 19, 2023
cry angry
Re: Medical Doctor Slumps And D!es At FMC While Working Extra Calls As Punishment by Jbleenk: 5:26am On Aug 19, 2023
Those in Nigerian medical profession are over stretched. My encounter at OAUTH Ife makes me appreciate these guys. I spent close to a month there tending to a sick family member. I had to call on doc Gedion and ask if he ever gets to rest at all. I always see him at the ward morning afternoon and night. His bless you guys o

2 Likes

Re: Medical Doctor Slumps And D!es At FMC While Working Extra Calls As Punishment by Asquare84(m): 7:27am On Aug 19, 2023
Fake report he did not die of any work overload. The hospital did not even give him enough punishment, go to our government hospital and see how people died of negligence from our doctor and nurse. The funny thing is as you abandon your patience due to negligence is how you will land in hospital one day
Re: Medical Doctor Slumps And D!es At FMC While Working Extra Calls As Punishment by Asquare84(m): 7:28am On Aug 19, 2023
Nwodosis:
It is just his time to die, the extra one week call punishment is not the cause.

Just imagine the way the colour his death as if he died in the hospital.
Re: Medical Doctor Slumps And D!es At FMC While Working Extra Calls As Punishment by SavageMaster: 9:12am On Aug 19, 2023
Nwodosis:

Just listen to yourself.

We're here justifying untimely death

1 Like

Re: Medical Doctor Slumps And D!es At FMC While Working Extra Calls As Punishment by slam7000(m): 9:23am On Aug 19, 2023
He died while performing with a choir at an event in Lagos.
He didn’t die while working extra shift.

4 Likes

Re: Medical Doctor Slumps And D!es At FMC While Working Extra Calls As Punishment by APOPTOSIS: 9:30am On Aug 19, 2023
This is one of the worst Hospitals to work as a House Officer or Resident doctor.
The workload and Doctor to Patient ratio is so poor that no one could imagine such a disaster.
It was already worse many years ago even before the Japa syndrome was envisaged not to talk of now the whole matter has climaxed.
Who knows what has become of that place now that Japa phenomenon is the deal of the day.

This is a hospital that is centrally located in Owerri and has got almost 5 Federal roads gravitating towards it with the hospital as their meeting point.
One can deduce that so much manpower would be needed there.
Nonsense as Usual!

1 Like

Re: Medical Doctor Slumps And D!es At FMC While Working Extra Calls As Punishment by Greystone: 10:12am On Aug 19, 2023
Rest in Peace doc.
This is why maximum work hours are enforced abroad. The system failed you.
This is sad and annoying.
Re: Medical Doctor Slumps And D!es At FMC While Working Extra Calls As Punishment by spiceadole: 2:48pm On Aug 19, 2023
Eric was my classmate and good friend.
Really saddened at his demise.
May his soul RIP
Re: Medical Doctor Slumps And D!es At FMC While Working Extra Calls As Punishment by doctorjohn(m): 3:38pm On Aug 19, 2023
At poster , i dont know were you got your malicious and unfounded story from or what you hope to achieve.
Dr eric is my friend and a colleague .we work in the same paediatrics department in FMC owerri. He took his annual leave and travel to Lagos were he wanted to spend his annual leave. Eric is an ardent chorister who loves to sing,praise and worship hence joined the nearest church choir there in lagos. On the 4th week of his leave while in choir practice he slumped and was rushed to the hospital were he was diagnosed to have a hemorrhagic stroke. We eventually died 2 weeks later. No body at least in the department knew he was hypertensive ,neither do i know if he really knows if he is because he hasnt told anyone before now.
I dont know what the poster of this outlandish and insensitive post hopes to achieve by posting this despicable narrative. I belief Dr Erics familt deserves to mourn this irreplaceable gem of a doctor in peace without someone drawing traffic to his/her page at the expense of other peoples pain.

4 Likes

Re: Medical Doctor Slumps And D!es At FMC While Working Extra Calls As Punishment by ghettochild(m): 4:53pm On Aug 19, 2023
Even doctors are not healthy...Chai!
Majority of them don't even check their blood pressure
Re: Medical Doctor Slumps And D!es At FMC While Working Extra Calls As Punishment by Bulletproofgt: 5:45pm On Aug 19, 2023
spiceadole:
Eric was my classmate and good friend.
Really saddened at his demise.
May his soul RIP

Sorry for the loss bro. GOD continue to keep all health workers
Re: Medical Doctor Slumps And D!es At FMC While Working Extra Calls As Punishment by MrOkenwa(m): 6:46pm On Aug 19, 2023
doctorjohn:
At poster , i dont know were you got your malicious and unfounded story from or what you hope to achieve.
Dr eric is my friend and a colleague .we work in the same paediatrics department in FMC owerri. He took his annual leave and travel to Lagos were he wanted to spend his annual leave. Eric is an ardent chorister who loves to sing,praise and worship hence joined the nearest church choir there in lagos. On the 4th week of his leave while in choir practice he slumped and was rushed to the hospital were he was diagnosed to have a hemorrhagic stroke. We eventually died 2 weeks later. No body at least in the department knew he was hypertensive ,neither do i know if he really knows if he is because he hasnt told anyone before now.
I dont know what the poster of this outlandish and insensitive post hopes to achieve by posting this despicable narrative. I belief Dr Erics familt deserves to mourn this irreplaceable gem of a doctor in peace without someone drawing traffic to his/her page at the expense of other peoples pain.
Thank you for this.
Re: Medical Doctor Slumps And D!es At FMC While Working Extra Calls As Punishment by Nwodosis(m): 7:29pm On Aug 22, 2023
SavageMaster:

Just listen to yourself.

We're here justifying untimely death
Is there timely death?
Re: Medical Doctor Slumps And D!es At FMC While Working Extra Calls As Punishment by DrFunmisticGlow: 9:45pm On Aug 22, 2023
Asquare84:

Just imagine the way the colour his death as if he died in the hospital.
The hospital contributed to it. They are responsible

Call is 24 hours straight work.
He worked for 2 weeks straight.
Try doing that kind of work and see if it won't affect you.
Re: Medical Doctor Slumps And D!es At FMC While Working Extra Calls As Punishment by DrFunmisticGlow: 9:47pm On Aug 22, 2023
doctorjohn:
ok.
My condolences.

But you see, things like punishing residents with extra call should be stopped. It's a bad and evil practice.

This is why doctors don't even want to go for residency in Nigeria again.
Re: Medical Doctor Slumps And D!es At FMC While Working Extra Calls As Punishment by Uyi168: 6:41am On Aug 23, 2023
DrFunmisticGlow:
The hospital contributed to it. They are responsible

Call is 24 hours straight work.
He worked for 2 weeks straight.
Try doing that kind of work and see if it won't affect you.

get the full gist.
the op is lying..
Re: Medical Doctor Slumps And D!es At FMC While Working Extra Calls As Punishment by MrOkenwa(m): 5:26am On Aug 25, 2023
DrFunmisticGlow:
ok.
My condolences.

But you see, things like punishing residents with extra call should be stopped. It's a bad and evil practice.

This is why doctors don't even want to go for residency in Nigeria again.
RIP to him.
Sadly, he failed to look after himself. We talk about stress and we counsel patients in that regard in our daily consultations to the patients but we ourselves don’t even do what we preach. Doctors are one of the most stressed professionals out there.
It will costs him nothing to cancel the program and duly apologize.
As per what the seniors make the residents go through during training. It’s being an old practice. I heard that things are now getting better lately and many of those hospitals are now becoming less hostile to the residents. It’ll keep getting better as long as those old folks keep witnessing the high level of brain drain in the country. No resident deserves to be subjected to any inhumane treatment because of training. It’s pointless.
Re: Medical Doctor Slumps And D!es At FMC While Working Extra Calls As Punishment by juman(m): 3:11am On Aug 28, 2023
Hard work is a perquisite to success.
But your little off time rest well.

(1) (Reply)

10 Top Exercises To Increase Your Height / Israeli Researchers Announce Breakthrough On Coronavirus Vaccine / Your One Stop Black Seed Oil Shop!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.