Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,103 members, 7,818,299 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:12 PM

N500K Electricity Bill Debt On Newly Purchased House. - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / N500K Electricity Bill Debt On Newly Purchased House. (28414 Views)

300 Investors Purchased House With C Of O Last Week Through Ogechi-join Them / How I Inherited N350,000 NEPA Bill Debt In My New Lagos Apartment / I Rented An Apartment With Nepa Bill Debt What Do I Do Please (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: N500K Electricity Bill Debt On Newly Purchased House. by MichaelSokoto(m): 3:05pm On Aug 23, 2023
have u heard of "AS IS?"

na dat kyne mkt dem sell 4 u so.
swallow ur liver & pay up!
cool
Re: N500K Electricity Bill Debt On Newly Purchased House. by livebyday(m): 3:05pm On Aug 23, 2023
Hello

Same thing happened to me, I bought 5 houses early last year ,within an estate they each had the old meters and I made the mistake of checking everything but that

So combined the estate was owing over 2 million.

To cut a long story short I met a Nepa official working with my disco settled and they did some magic

I got new accounts with new prepaid meters and paid a percentage to the staff to share with his or her colleagues

Reach out if you need tips bro

2 Likes

Re: N500K Electricity Bill Debt On Newly Purchased House. by b0rn2fuck(m): 3:05pm On Aug 23, 2023
NLchief:
I made a terrible oversight of not checking electricity bills before purchasing a house. It just completely escaped my mind till after purchase.

I just found out there's electricity debts of 500k unpaid to IBEDC.

How do I handle this?

I know it will be difficult getting such a negligent
previous owner to pay such bills. sad
maybe you should go into seller and option for new solution, with solar 1 m should guarantee you free electricity later
Re: N500K Electricity Bill Debt On Newly Purchased House. by scoobyblogspot(m): 3:06pm On Aug 23, 2023
NLchief:
I made a terrible oversight of not checking electricity bills before purchasing a house. It just completely escaped my mind till after purchase.

How do I handle this?

Make una seat down man to man at NEPA office and negotiate. We did it at my current place. We wey owning one million naira in a sub account we aint even aware of
Re: N500K Electricity Bill Debt On Newly Purchased House. by Djuggernaut(m): 3:06pm On Aug 23, 2023
G
Re: N500K Electricity Bill Debt On Newly Purchased House. by walexyll(m): 3:07pm On Aug 23, 2023
That is why it is standard to have a retention fee for any purchase like this to take care of expenses which was not apparent at the point of purchase. It is a standard practice

1 Like 1 Share

Re: N500K Electricity Bill Debt On Newly Purchased House. by callmevirus(m): 3:07pm On Aug 23, 2023
Since you've the money to buy a house just pay the bills
Re: N500K Electricity Bill Debt On Newly Purchased House. by advanceDNA: 3:07pm On Aug 23, 2023
NLchief:

How do I handle this?

Call electrician....remove the meter and the wire......tell phcn u ddnt meet any meter there that u want ur own meter..... shebí everybody dey craze for this country....

6 Likes

Re: N500K Electricity Bill Debt On Newly Purchased House. by eteba(m): 3:08pm On Aug 23, 2023
NLchief:

How do I handle this?

It's basically estimated bill, go to their office and negotiate, u may pay about 150k or less and they'll zero the account.
Re: N500K Electricity Bill Debt On Newly Purchased House. by TINO123(m): 3:08pm On Aug 23, 2023
Request for Prepaid Meter the 500k Dept Will be programmed into the Meter
You won't know when you finish paying the dept.
Re: N500K Electricity Bill Debt On Newly Purchased House. by R2bees2: 3:09pm On Aug 23, 2023
theamazonguru:
This is really interesting.

You can actually negotiate with IBEBC.

Approach the zonal office in your area, ask to speak with the zonal manager.
Show proof of change of ownership, let him/her know that you just purchased the house.

It's not automatic that they will clear your debt oh.
Just pleas to his/her human conscience, you might be asked to pay something even if it's 100k-150k, it's fine.

Go and try your luck.

This is what I would do if I was in your shoes.
OP take this advice.

1 Like

Re: N500K Electricity Bill Debt On Newly Purchased House. by oyeb15: 3:09pm On Aug 23, 2023
Disconnect and do solar
Re: N500K Electricity Bill Debt On Newly Purchased House. by Nairas2dollars: 3:10pm On Aug 23, 2023
b0rn2fuck:
maybe you should go into seller and option for new solution, with solar 1 m should guarantee you free electricity later
I would love to put this in my house..just a 3 bedroom duplex. With 1m solar, would I have light 247?
Re: N500K Electricity Bill Debt On Newly Purchased House. by sleekybaba: 3:10pm On Aug 23, 2023
NLchief:

How do I handle this?

They did same to me. I quickly ported to Prepaid Meter
Re: N500K Electricity Bill Debt On Newly Purchased House. by b0rn2fuck(m): 3:12pm On Aug 23, 2023
Nairas2dollars:

I would love to put this in my house..just a 3 bedroom duplex. With 1m solar, would I have light 247?
it's all depends on your loads with 1 million solar should give 2.5 kva or 3 kva. Paying 500k for nepa that will still be giving more than 100k monthly isn't Worthy
Re: N500K Electricity Bill Debt On Newly Purchased House. by free2ryhme: 3:12pm On Aug 23, 2023
NLchief:

How do I handle this?

location of house
Re: N500K Electricity Bill Debt On Newly Purchased House. by FireUpNow(m): 3:12pm On Aug 23, 2023
Go to their office and negotiate. You never put into cognisance of the word "caveat emptor"
Re: N500K Electricity Bill Debt On Newly Purchased House. by Blitzking: 3:12pm On Aug 23, 2023
Lol..op is a learner..they don run op street. Just ready to dey drop 100k every 6months in 2 and half years e go complete shapaly install prepaid Meter.
Re: N500K Electricity Bill Debt On Newly Purchased House. by Mazzkenny: 3:13pm On Aug 23, 2023
You are not supposed to pay anything because it was their fault but nothing is normal in this country

2 Likes

Re: N500K Electricity Bill Debt On Newly Purchased House. by Ferdinandu(m): 3:13pm On Aug 23, 2023
NLchief:

How do I handle this?

Someone has actually sued NEPA for this kind of case and won them. The court ruled that you can't inherit NEPA bill in the house you bought or rented. If you have strength make case with them you are not supposed to pay a dime of that bill.

2 Likes

Re: N500K Electricity Bill Debt On Newly Purchased House. by yemmit90: 3:14pm On Aug 23, 2023
NLchief:

How do I handle this?

This is what you will do, go to their office and ask for the bills guys in charge of that area. When you see the person, tell him you just bought the house, and you will need him to issue a new bill to you in your own name. Say you will give him 70k before he even open his mouth to talk about the old bill. He will definitely find a way to open a new bill for you in your own name. Use that new bill immediately to collect pre-paid meter.

Don't use the old bill to process prepaid meter o, because the debt would be transfer on ìt, and you will be force to pay a certain percentage whenever your recharge until the debt is cleared.
Re: N500K Electricity Bill Debt On Newly Purchased House. by ismaog4u(m): 3:14pm On Aug 23, 2023
go and pay fast fast
Re: N500K Electricity Bill Debt On Newly Purchased House. by Brendaniel: 3:14pm On Aug 23, 2023
NLchief:

How do I handle this?

Oga, your own is even a bit fair because you own the house, the house I rented had over 400k bill which If I get a prepaid meter they will be deducting from my monthly recharge till I clear the entire bill and bad part is I won't even take the prepaid meter when going after paying like 50k to get it, that's why I'm still on estimated billing paying only current charges, at least till I pack out of the house.

Go to their office and apply for prepaid meter then beg them to reduce the previous bill to like half that you don't want to settle it with court case with them or if they would prefer court case, you will spend the money there.....

I won't pay for what I didn't use and I wont buy meter for the another person

1 Like

Re: N500K Electricity Bill Debt On Newly Purchased House. by Dyfynezz12(m): 3:15pm On Aug 23, 2023
There is nothing u can do
If it's prepaid metre there will be deducting 50% on every recharge u made.
That is; if u recharge light of 10k u will be credited with 5k till u finish paying dy debt
Re: N500K Electricity Bill Debt On Newly Purchased House. by shonepet: 3:15pm On Aug 23, 2023
Is the house a personal house for you and your family? if yes, I will advice you negotiate with NEPA for a one -off clearance OR you add money to that 500k and install a 5KVA inverter, with solar panels on your roof. It will last you for 5years, then you can change batteries.
I know someone who is enjoying same now. the cost difference might not be too much but it will give you your sanity and make you feel like you live abroad since you have light whenever you want. Remember, no more generator for you.

2 Likes

Re: N500K Electricity Bill Debt On Newly Purchased House. by Nairas2dollars: 3:15pm On Aug 23, 2023
b0rn2fuck:
it's all depends on your loads with 1 million solar should give 2.5 kva or 3 kva. Paying 500k for nepa that will still be giving more than 100k monthly isn't Worthy
if you are into solar, then am interested in the service. I stay at lekki Chevron estate, are you at Lagos?
Re: N500K Electricity Bill Debt On Newly Purchased House. by samtoles: 3:16pm On Aug 23, 2023
theamazonguru:
This is really interesting.

You can actually negotiate with IBEBC.

Approach the zonal office in your area, ask to speak with the zonal manager.
Show proof of change of ownership, let him/her know that you just purchased the house.

It's not automatic that they will clear your debt oh.
Just pleas to his/her human conscience, you might be asked to pay something even if it's 100k-150k, it's fine.

Go and try your luck.

This is what I would do if I was in your shoes.

This will work 100%
Re: N500K Electricity Bill Debt On Newly Purchased House. by dannykares: 3:18pm On Aug 23, 2023
If you visit power holding 4 dialog and nothing come out kindly remove the meter and purchase your own meter cos that will carry yr own name simple
Re: N500K Electricity Bill Debt On Newly Purchased House. by Lexusgs430: 3:19pm On Aug 23, 2023
NLchief:

How do I handle this?

Take the seller/agent to court.......
Re: N500K Electricity Bill Debt On Newly Purchased House. by NLchief: 3:21pm On Aug 23, 2023
livebyday:
Hello

Same thing happened to me, I bought a 5 houses early last year ,within an estate they each had the old meters and I made the mistake of checking everything but that

So combined the estate was owing over 2 million.

To cut a long story short I met a Nepal official working with my disco settled and they did some magic

I got new accounts with new prepaid meters and paid a percentage to the staff to share with his or her colleagues

Reach out if you need tips bro
I will send a DM asap boss.
Re: N500K Electricity Bill Debt On Newly Purchased House. by BibleStudyForum: 3:22pm On Aug 23, 2023
This is real interesting. I just learn something from this shocked grin

Very interesting.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Fire Disaster At Rumuokoro In Port Harcourt. Properties Destroyed (Pictures) / BUILD YOUR DREAM HOUSE AT GARDEN OF EDEN ESTATE WITH EASE / Bungalow Design At Affordable Price Call Or Whatsap 08096365063

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.