Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,087 members, 7,821,756 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:55 PM

Nigeria Immigration Are Now Holding People Hostage - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigeria Immigration Are Now Holding People Hostage (585 Views)

Drama As Unruly Max Air Pilot Holds Passengers Hostage For 4 Hours After Boardin / Nigeria Immigration Arrests Nine Illegal Immigrants Heading To Libya From Kano8 / Woman From Switzerland Blasts Nigeria Immigration "They Tried To Scam Me" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Immigration Are Now Holding People Hostage by Babaken(m): 11:17am On Aug 25, 2023
Nigeria immigration along seme border has turne to what I don't know demanding intentional passport for Nigerians going to badagry if you don't have you ask to 50k, some 30, 20k Even 100k 80k. Once they stop you first they will seize your phone ask you to open it if any bank on it they will call POS to do transfer these happening at the immigration checking point along badagry expressway opposite palatable food. They drop me, my wife our 1yr and 4 months baby asking me to provide our passport or pay 150k, 50k for each person I explained to them even should them my NIN they said that's not they concern that I should provide international passport I was they start having with one woman that she tell them she's from Lagos state on the process one of the immigration use stick to flog the woman injure her heavy blood start rushing out the area boy's over there get angry start having issues with them.
The immigration at that point are on the run before we left the worst they remove they tag bearing their names they harass people if you have money they will ask you to call your people there's why I said they are now holding people hostage demanding for ransom these has been going on . There's serious fight going on there now before I left they collect 15k from me 5k for each of us before giving me my phone.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Immigration Are Now Holding People Hostage by BigDawsNet: 12:02pm On Aug 25, 2023
Babaken:
Nigeria immigration along seme border has turne to what I don't know demanding intentional passport for Nigerians going to badagry if you don't have you ask to 50k, some 30, 20k Even 100k 80k. Once they stop you first they will seize your phone ask you to open it if any bank on it they will call POS to do transfer these happening at the immigration checking point along badagry expressway opposite palatable food. They drop me, my wife our 1yr and 4 months baby asking me to provide our passport or pay 150k, 50k for each person I explained to them even should them my NIN they said that's not they concern that I should provide international passport I was they start having with one woman that she tell them she's from Lagos state on the process one of the immigration use stick to flog the woman injure her heavy blood start rushing out the area boy's over there get angry start having issues with them.
The immigration at that point are on the run before we left the worst they remove they tag bearing their names they harass people if you have money they will ask you to call your people there's why I said they are now holding people hostage demanding for ransom these has been going on . There's serious fight going on there now before I left they collect 15k from me 5k for each of us before giving me my phone.

Im not sure why this is happening in our land border.. but I'm going to suggest you report to the appropriate authorities for further investigation...

I travelled near our borders some years back and hav seen how our Immigration officers stop bus and screen out the illegals... I believe these new rules or behaviour is based on the federal government directive to the Immigration officers to secure tight our land borders... with the war saga going on

For others prospective travellers... pls travel with your passport... atleast that's number one assurance you are a Nigerian... any foreigner can easily hav access to NIN dis days...

The security at the border is tight now... and the office will go any length to prove your nationality..even tho it's wrong to use force..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Immigration Are Now Holding People Hostage by carvic(m): 12:03pm On Aug 25, 2023
Nigeria is becoming something. Extortion on the rise due to hunger
Re: Nigeria Immigration Are Now Holding People Hostage by flowers4me(f): 3:02pm On Aug 25, 2023
BigDawsNet:

Im not sure why this is happening in our land border.. but I'm going to suggest you report to the appropriate authorities for further investigation...

I travelled near our borders some years back and hav seen how our Immigration officers stop bus and screen out the illegals... I believe these new rules or behaviour is based on the federal government directive to the Immigration officers to secure tight our land borders... with the war saga going on

For others prospective travellers... pls travel with your passport... atleast that's number one assurance you are a Nigerian... any foreigner can easily hav access to NIN dis days...

The security at the border is tight now... and the office will go any length to prove your nationality..even tho it's wrong to use force..

Sorry, but how are the immigration securing the border when they extorted those without passport, and still allow them in?
Re: Nigeria Immigration Are Now Holding People Hostage by BigDawsNet: 3:14pm On Aug 25, 2023
flowers4me:

Sorry, but how are the immigration securing the border when they extorted those without passport, and still allow them in?

Welcome to Nigeria!

FG: Don't allow people without psssport get it..

.Nobody: "oga give us money and enter...

FG: close the border..

Nobody: My rice came in last night tru border...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Immigration Are Now Holding People Hostage by veneza(f): 4:44pm On Aug 25, 2023
flowers4me:

If you hear my story ehhh,those immigration are dey light criminals and they are thieves the funniest thing Dem no even dey border Dem dey badagry road before border four different check points. how can someone be asking you to proof your identity that you a Nigerian and when you do dey will say na only passport Dem one see or you pay through your nose or go inside one dirty wooden kiosk.
Nigeria is not far from useless if alot of things are not put in check.
My experience with them while traveling with my family is just a week old am still in shock and I weep for my country.
Re: Nigeria Immigration Are Now Holding People Hostage by flowers4me(f): 5:07pm On Aug 25, 2023
BigDawsNet:

Welcome to Nigeria!

FG: Don't allow people without psssport get it..

.Nobody: "oga give us money and enter...

FG: close the border..

Nobody: My rice came in last night tru border...

I'm actually asking you how such anomaly of allowing entry after extortion equates to securing the border, because you said: " I believe they are acting on the directive of the government to secure borders due to ........"
Re: Nigeria Immigration Are Now Holding People Hostage by flowers4me(f): 5:16pm On Aug 25, 2023
veneza:

If you hear my story ehhh,those immigration are dey light criminals and they are thieves the funniest thing Dem no even dey border Dem dey badagry road before border four different check points. how can someone be asking you to proof your identity that you a Nigerian and when you do dey will say na only passport Dem one see or you pay through your nose or go inside one dirty wooden kiosk.
Nigeria is not far from useless if alot of things are not put in check.
My experience with them while traveling with my family is just a week old am still in shock and I weep for my country.

There is so much work to be done in setting things straight and right, but I'm sorry to say, our bandwagon attitude in doing the wrong things and disunity caused by tribalism and religion will keep taking us many steps backwards.

So sorry about your experience sister.
Re: Nigeria Immigration Are Now Holding People Hostage by Babaken(m): 8:22pm On Aug 25, 2023
BigDawsNet:

I understand your point very well it has been going on for years now because that's what people staying around there saying but is now getting worse. You mean NIN is not means of identification for Nigerians if foreigners can get NIN you know they will get the passport as well so you are telling me if someone if moving from LASU to badagry he/she should carrying his passport along even when you have NIN when you know you are not crossing border we are now a Foreigner im our own land.
Re: Nigeria Immigration Are Now Holding People Hostage by BigDawsNet: 9:14pm On Aug 25, 2023
Babaken:
I understand your point very well it has been going on for years now because that's what people staying around there saying but is now getting worse. You mean NIN is not means of identification for Nigerians if foreigners can get NIN you know they will get the passport as well so you are telling me if someone if moving from LASU to badagry he/she should carrying his passport along even when you have NIN when you know you are not crossing border we are now a Foreigner im our own land.

NIN is a means of Identification but I think it has its own limitations... hav seen people registering for NIN and I can tell you... inadequate background check is associated with this NIN registering thing... so it's very easy for a foreigner to actually get one...

But a foreigner that hav access to NIN somehow can never think of visiting the Nigerian Immigration passport office to request for a Passport... you can try it... because I can assure the foreigner will really hav him or herself to be blamed... the background check at the passport office ain't joke...

So as a Nigeria... to avoid story and story.. if you hav a Passport... carry it along when crossing land border..
If you don't hav a passport... carry Your NIN and other supporting national ID like drivers licence or state ID
Re: Nigeria Immigration Are Now Holding People Hostage by veneza(f): 9:57pm On Aug 25, 2023
BigDawsNet:

NIN is a means of Identification but I think it has its own limitations... hav seen people registering for NIN and I can tell you... inadequate background check is associated with this NIN registering thing... so it's very easy for a foreigner to actually get one...

But a foreigner that hav access to NIN somehow can never think of visiting the Nigerian Immigration passport office to request for a Passport... you can try it... because I can assure the foreigner will really hav him or herself to be blamed... the background check at the passport office ain't joke...

So as a Nigeria... to avoid story and story.. if you hav a Passport... carry it along when crossing land border..
If you don't hav a passport... carry Your NIN and other supporting national ID like drivers licence or state ID
Oga is either your passport or your money nothing else those guys no agree to even check wetin we carry just the money and they are in the road before you get to the border, crossing the border no get issues at all the okada man dey settle Dem accept you enter the wrong bike dem go go summit you give immigration.
This is same road I was taking regularly 4years back without obstacles.

(1) (Reply)

Re: Help! / Summer Ticket / I Need Someone That Can Give Details Of New Zealand And How To Get There

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.