Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,787 members, 7,810,051 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:29 PM

How To Launch A Film Production Company - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / How To Launch A Film Production Company (12511 Views)

Poll: Is This Thread Useful To You?

Yes: 100% (1 vote)
No: 0% (0 votes)
Still learning.: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

800,000 Youths Trained In Film Production In Katsina State - NFC / New film production crew, care to join? / The Figurine 'araromire' (a Film By Kunle Afolayan) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Launch A Film Production Company by Ogaga4Luv(m): 2:19pm On Oct 14, 2011
[size=13pt]Decide carefully before attending film school. Film school is very expensive. Some people argue that using that same money to make a film is more valuable. Others insist that the lessons they learn at film school are invaluable and couldn't have been learned just by making their own films. If you decide to sink your money into making your own film, look at it as an alternative to film school, by which I mean don't expect your first film to be "theater ready", but expect to learn from your mistakes.Film school also can help you meet people in the right places. You will also have a degree which could help you if you have to go to a back up plan or down size your dream and become a teacher of film in high school. Please , for the sake of dabblers around this Nairaland i have decide to drop a word of encouragement for the ones that are interested in the '' MOVIE BUSINESS ''~ like i do and currently working on some projects as of now -- erm , dunno ask me boring questions . If you need to know anything about legend in making in the Movie Industry worldwide do feel free to follow up my threads on this section . I need serious people with useful conversation. . . Nairaland forum is one best online Community in the World today and i have seen so many serious members of this forum who have achieved so much by reading helpful tips in life and meeting up their need and goals in life .

Film Production Companies Make Profitable Small Business . . . .

As a started http://www.brighthub.com/office/entrepreneurs/articles/49158.aspx business, film production companies have to be considered one  of the best . For example , did you know that film is a nationally subsidized business in so many Countries in the World Today? most especially in Nigeria  and in the United State of America .Many States offer large cash rebates that re Many states offer large cash rebates that return a percentage of the money spent in the state to the production companies who film there. Michigan currently offers a 40-42% tax rebate, New Mexico offers 25%, and Georgia offers a 30% rebate. Film is an attractive industry to have in a state because it provides high paying jobs, lots of tax revenues, produces little in the way of toxic waste, and its the kind of industry that can grow and prosper very quickly in the right environment.

Armed with this knowledge, you can create a film business plan that makes it much easier to find funding for your production.http://www.brighthub.com/office/entrepreneurs/articles/40035.aspx

Another nice thing about film is that it provides many possible revenue streams. Before production, a production company may be able to receive payment for integrating products into a film. After production it may be able to receive ticket revenues from theatrical releases, revenues from PPV and cable rights sales, overseas rights sales, broadcast television rights sales and DVD rights sales. These are just a few of the revenue streams a good, high quality film, can exploit. smiley

Finally, films are very fast turnaround businesses. Unilke an Internet startup which might take five years to turn a profit, or a manufacturing company which might take a decade, film production companies can develop a project, produce it, get it into theatrical release, and sell off its rights in a matter of three years. In some cases, films generate revenues for decades.

The intrepid souls that launch small businesses usually follow their heart in the businesses they choose. That's actually an important thing to do. Every small business requires endless twelve hour days and lots of hard work to launch. If you have a passion for film, a very solid understanding of small business management skills, the ability to identify commercially viable projects, and an absolute determination to produce the best films anyone has ever seen, starting a film production company may be the right decision for you. Taking this route is definitely a very viable career option for someone with a communications degree. http://www.brighthub.com/office/career-planning/articles/76546.aspx

Is a Film Production Company Really a Small Business?

Feature films and television shows rarely show you the truth about film production companies. That is because film production companies don't look all that exciting until the cameras start to roll. The truth is, most film production companies are composed of two to five people who work to put one or more films together. They may or may not have an office for most of the time they are working. They may not even have a dental plan. What they do have is a film they want to make and a blueprint for how it will be done.

A film production company is absolutely a small business all the way up until it is funded and it has moved into production. Then, for a period of weeks, it is a big business. It often has more than 100 employees, union contracts, large insurance policies, millions of dollars in its bank accounts and lots of people looking over its shoulder.

After that, the production company goes back to being small again. The footage shot by the production company is edited, music is added, special effects are put in, and the whole package is sold a few rights at a time to folks around the world.

What Does It Take to Launch a Film Production Company?

The first step in launching a film production company is to start an LLC or Corporation.http://www.brighthub.com/office/entrepreneurs/articles/39948.aspx  In most cases you will start an LLC because it protects your personal assets against being taken away if your production company is sued. Starting an LLC takes about two hours, requires two forms, and may obligate you to pay taxes in your state even in years you don't make money. It is something you may want to talk to a lawyer about.

The next step is finding, or writing, a great script that you want to produce and then building a business plan around it. There is a very clear and straight-forward path to creating a fundable feature film business plan. It requires hiring a line producer, getting a shooting schedule and budgets done, identifying key cast and crew, creating financial projections, developing a marketing plan, and creating a distribution plan.

Once the business plan is developed, you present it to business professionals as you would any other revenue opportunity. http://www.brighthub.com/office/finance/articles/16345.aspx There are several ways to structure the money you get to make a film. Some film productions are funded through loans. Some are funded through active investors. Some go to the expense of setting up a Private Placement which allows them to sell shares to investors. How you decide to structure funding has everything to do with the size of the film you want to make and the funders you are working with.

Once you have funding you produce the film as specified in the plan and start realizing the revenue streams it specifies.

Having produced one film, most production companies roll on to producing others. It is something that people get better at with practice.

Is It Really Feasible to Launch a Film Production Company?

Every start up business is good for one kind of person and not another. The guys that launch Google in their dorm room are not the folks that launch Estee Lauder in their kitchen.

Film production, as a business, requires that you be hard working, intelligent, practical, pragmatic, insightful and creative. You need exceptional verbal communication skills, great writing skills, a clean business history, and the ability to work in a fast changing business environment. It helps to have industry contacts so you can quickly find good line producers, key crew and great talent but these are things you can also acquire over time. It is very nice to start with $50K-$100K to develop your first project, but people have managed with less.

It is definitely possible to launch a successful film production company. For the right people it is the best business on earth. cool
[/size]

1 Like

Re: How To Launch A Film Production Company by iice(f): 3:43pm On Oct 14, 2011
Hmmm maybe one day. If being a bum doesn't work out grin
Re: How To Launch A Film Production Company by Ogaga4Luv(m): 4:31pm On Oct 14, 2011
[size=13pt]Seriuously u are a bum? lol  grin u funny sometimes . . . dude , berra know that time must be invested on important things or projects not wasted on nothingness. . .  like u've rightly said , If been a bum doesn't work out - that i partially agree with u .  one must not do only one job at a time in life , that is too risky and endanger any progress in earnings or saving . like me , i have learn how to do multiple jobs and , generate wealth improving skills and it has really help me for the years now . I won't start mentioning because this is a public house where u see different type of people that are serious and the ones that are not serious--- but just to dabble with the mind of the matured .

initiating into multiple profession or jobs is very important. . . that is , in case one fail u handle the rest and there would still be road to make your $$$ Us Dollars .

before i start this thread certainly i have already make the necessary arrangement and almost meet up with the requirement to have my own Co-operative Movie Industry. . . The Gods of Duat!! are my strng witness and my fellow partners out here .

iice dear seem like u are also interested in making Movies , or something just a movie buff? smiley
[/size]

iice:

Hmmm maybe one day.  If being a bum doesn't work out grin
Re: How To Launch A Film Production Company by iice(f): 4:40pm On Oct 14, 2011
Wetin be this? undecided
What's my own with monetary wealth?   I like being a bum.  The best job for me cheesy
No i'm not a movie buff.  I have been in this section for so long because i just like to post. . .seriously undecided
Re: How To Launch A Film Production Company by Ogaga4Luv(m): 5:32pm On Oct 14, 2011
[size=13pt]Well , if u say nothing concern u with monetary wealth i keep my comment~~ grin . but , i believe u have not always take me serious as i need it , no bad feelings though , let's just keep the going -smooth and safe . wink[/size]
Re: How To Launch A Film Production Company by Gluckdude(m): 10:12am On Oct 16, 2011
Can someone please help me on how to make a post on NL? been trying frantically to post a disturbing topic on air.
Thanks in advance
Re: How To Launch A Film Production Company by iice(f): 12:01pm On Oct 16, 2011
^^And this thing you just did is what?
Re: How To Launch A Film Production Company by Ogaga4Luv(m): 12:29pm On Oct 16, 2011
[size=13pt]When it comes to the film business you want to have a reliable business plan in place, and to understand why each segment of that plan is important to your day to day film production success. This example is a good place to get started.

If you are an emerging filmmaker you want to put your best foot forward when it comes to not only producing memorable films but also having a business that will survive the competitive movie market. We will examine an outline of a business plan for a film production company http://www.brighthub.com/multimedia/video/articles/93108.aspx and proceed to briefly highlight why each segment of the outline is important to your day to day business activity and ultimately your survival as a film company.

The executive summary is usually done towards the end. It summarizes who you are and what activities you are presently engaged in. It also goes on to highlight what the production goals are. The executive summary allows you to see clearly both the anatomy and vision for your company. We will look at a line from a mock film production company, Imagine Studios.
[/size]
Re: How To Launch A Film Production Company by LoveKing(m): 3:32pm On Oct 16, 2011
good one ogagaluv.i'll be following every post
Re: How To Launch A Film Production Company by godspeed: 9:22pm On Oct 16, 2011
Thanks for the post

Personally i'll like to be involved in the film industry i've got the passion for films and i want to be involved.

i've studied the lives of revolutionaries in the industry like bruce lee and james cameron these pple have really inspired me

i think the film industry in nigeria is a goldmine which pple have not really exploited.it has the potentials of taking over the whole of Africa and the black world

But first things first.i want to get the training cos i believe in training over talent

which  standard film schoolis in the US?

What is the duration of the training period?

what is the cost?

what courses are on offer?

and how abt getting apprenticeship in a good film company like columbia pictures?

pls can u help me with these
Re: How To Launch A Film Production Company by VillageBoi(m): 10:56pm On Dec 29, 2011
@ Godspeed - Google is your friend, doing the research is now a little bit easier but I'm sure you already know that from 'studying the lives of revolutionaries in the industry'.
Re: How To Launch A Film Production Company by Daxbiz(m): 6:58pm On Jan 03, 2012
@poster
I sense from your post that you are actually so "GREEN" in the business of film-making.

Your optimism reminds me of a "JAMBITE" on campus full of hopes and dreams.

You made good examples of states in North America offering rebates, of cinemas and of sponsors' branding, all bringing in addtional revenue.

My brother do you even live in Nigeria? have you been here?
How many cinemas exists? Does our government care about your business?

How much do you even have to create your "Grade A" movie?

REBATE Thats laughable!!! Tell that to Uncle Jonathan!

Forget Movie school. COME TO ALABA AND IDUMOTA TO LEARN HOW ITS DONE. That is if you want returns on investment!!!

Spoken by one who knows. Trust Me, I do.

1 Like

Re: How To Launch A Film Production Company by Ogaga4Luv(m): 2:59pm On Jan 05, 2012
[size=13pt]You are most Welcome my dear -- i believe that u can make it big from the Movie business if you really mean it . though , in the beginning it may seem so complicated that's why training is needed and very important to make up that side of the film production business you've always dreamed of .

godspeed dear u can get a mentor (a working film professional) in a high end film production company in your city or town . You work side by side with this professional making films, TV shows, and/or commercials. But wait, you will also take their structured course curriculum under your mentor's direct supervision. With them , you learn two ways. On the job on read film projects, and from our curriculum in private tutoring sessions.

I hope this would be the starting point -- i would also like your present location so that I'll give u the necessary requirements u need to be that Movie lord of your widest dream .
[/size]

godspeed:

Thanks for the post

Personally i'll like to be involved in the film industry i've got the passion for films and i want to be involved.

i've studied the lives of revolutionaries in the industry like bruce lee and james cameron these pple have really inspired me

i think the film industry in nigeria is a goldmine which pple have not really exploited.it has the potentials of taking over the whole of Africa and the black world

But first things first.i want to get the training cos i believe in training over talent

which  standard film schoolis in the US?

What is the duration of the training period?

what is the cost?

what courses are on offer?

and how abt getting apprenticeship in a good film company like columbia pictures?

pls can u help me with these
Re: How To Launch A Film Production Company by laralopez: 9:18am On Jan 06, 2012
It is a very tough job to launch a film production company.For this it has an experience.
Re: How To Launch A Film Production Company by Ogaga4Luv(m): 10:39pm On Jan 07, 2012
[size=13pt]laralopez my dear it is always touch when you are a beginner but not always touch when getting to know the things u need to know on owning a movie production company --

You've got to make your company legal. Usually when you want to shoot at a location or rent some location you need to have insurance. To get insurance you have to have a company or organization. This way in case people get hurt you don't get sued. wink
[/size]
laralopez:

It is a very tough job to launch a film production company.For this it has an experience.
Re: How To Launch A Film Production Company by Amyr: 8:20pm On Jan 09, 2012
I do feel let out in this discusion because film mentors, alaba market and many issues involved dont seem to apply to my immediate enviroment here in lafia. How much learning curve do i need for a low budget beginning where i cannot rely on rebates and so on?
Re: How To Launch A Film Production Company by Ogaga4Luv(m): 5:55pm On Mar 24, 2012
I dont even know about that alaba international market that much either....but , i have learnt so much about making successful movies from various sources. wink
Re: How To Launch A Film Production Company by Beachqueen59(f): 5:21pm On Feb 05, 2015
I've got interest in the movie industry, bt i feel like i have to learn this by working side by side with sumone who alrdy has his own company, anyway i'll learn which eva way i can thru theory, hypothesis or practical, bt am scared...

1 Like

Re: How To Launch A Film Production Company by Safari29: 3:06pm On May 13, 2015
Beachqueen59:
I've got interest in the movie industry, bt i feel like i have to learn this by working side by side with sumone who alrdy has his own company, anyway i'll learn which eva way i can thru theory, hypothesis or practical, bt am scared...

dont be scared dear. we are in the same shoe and i believe it is something i will enjoy doing. am quiting my job soon because to face the industry out of passion. May god be with me (amen)

1 Like

Re: How To Launch A Film Production Company by businessguide: 4:01am On Jul 19, 2018
visit www.businessguide.com.ng to view a comprehensive guide.
Re: How To Launch A Film Production Company by projectandpages: 1:52am On Sep 17, 2021
Starting a cinema business in Nigeria or anywhere across Africa is now easier and cheaper.

Consider Viewmax Entertainment as your partner in your journey of running a successful cinema business.

Viewmax is an entertainment technology company that operates a network of partner cinemas across Africa. The company will provide you with access to premium movies using their equipment installed in your cinema to show movies.

Viewmax also has an app that makes it easier for customers to buy tickets and locate your cinema easily.

Save your self the huge cost of buying cinema equipment that costs thousands of dollars. Kick off your cinema in just a couple of days!

In addition, Viewmax is particularly interested in community cinemas close to where potential customers live (housing estates, schools, and residential communities). Preferably with a seating capacity of at least 50 seats and a maximum of 80seats.

Get started: viewmax.com.ng

(1) (Reply)

A Game Of Thrones, New Series On Hbo/sky Atlantic / Please Where Can I Download Acrimony Movie... / Your Favourite Int'l Channels And Your Favourite Programmes There?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.