Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,520 members, 7,819,867 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:10 AM

Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies (56419 Views)

Femi Kuti, Alek Wek And John Dumelo To Open 'the Sandra Appiah Show' On Sunday / Femi Kuti With Supermodel Alek Wek And Other Stars On The Gold Carpet In America / Alek Wek & Abiola Abrams Hit The Sand! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Nobody: 5:23pm On Oct 14, 2011
[size=20pt]She's a super model.
She has fame and fortune.
She's highly successful.
But i don't know where it all comes from.

Just take a look and see.
Someone please enlighten me.
[/size]

Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by sync(f): 5:38pm On Oct 14, 2011
modelling aint all about beauty.she got the shoulders,height and statistics

1 Like

Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Nobody: 5:41pm On Oct 14, 2011
oh please,  Forbes put up this pic on her profile and the resemblance between her and the early man is striking. How came she became so successful as a model.
I always wondered ever since the first day i saw her on a walk way.

The difference is clear enough. I believe it's not just about the shoulders or legs. There's something more to it.

Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Salmoneus(m): 5:55pm On Oct 14, 2011
Beauty first comes from the heart, it's sad that society has managed to produce shallow individuals like you.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by OgaMadam(f): 6:07pm On Oct 14, 2011
In the modelling world  -  I am talking about High Fashion and not Girl-Next-Door beauty

The idealised figure for designers is tall and lean - only because clothes drape or fall well on such figures

or "walking clothes hangers"

At 5.11 she carries off gowns in such a way that Geneviev could never try as she might.

Strolling down the catwalk is a walk in the park for her type.

This grace, and yes, this beauty - is what makes Alek Wek a millionaire.

(I know cause i was a model too  wink)
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by BABE3: 6:20pm On Oct 14, 2011
OP, don't let me catch you comparing Alek Wek's modelling abilities/skills to Genevieve's. If you're caught doing that, I'll be forced to flog you!  angry

Smh @ your ignorance. It's almost embarrassing.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by emofine(f): 7:21pm On Oct 14, 2011
Her beauty lies ahead of yours.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by anonymous6(f): 7:43pm On Oct 14, 2011
OgaMadam:

In the modelling world  -  I am talking about High Fashion and not Girl-Next-Door beauty

The idealised figure for designers is tall and lean - only because clothes drape or fall well on such figures

or "walking clothes hangers"

At 5.11 she carries off gowns in such a way that Geneviev could never try as she might.

Strolling down the catwalk is a walk in the park for her type.

This grace, and yes, this beauty - is what makes Alek Wek a millionaire.

(I know cause i was a model too  wink)

I agree, I wanted to also say that as well in the modeling world(high fashion world) they like the slim, thin, tall females don't care much for the facial beauty(at least in the traditional modeling world, especially in Europe but In America she is considered ugly) and it makes sense because Kate moss is also the same weight, height and she isn't all pretty facially in the traditional sense either but they have a unique beauty though in a way, in a artistic sort of way

Kate Moss

Alek Wek

@OP
The modeling world especially in Europe which is the godfather or the head of the modeling world internationally, they look at beauty artistically not the standard view of beauty.

People can complain about alek wek but her body and artistic image is what the European designers like about her; and almost all top designers in the world are hiring her for that in runway shows, and etc. As much as people may have their views about her beauty, she is going to be the one remembered in the future vs. the sea of blond white women models she is always among because Alek wek is a rarity and as a result is unique and people remember the unique then the common
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Nobody: 8:17pm On Oct 14, 2011
Hey pals, forgive my ignorance. Though i'm not shallow minded. Yet i'm not mr know all. It still beats my imagination that some people call her a beauty. I never knew i'd talk about this publicly.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by tpia5: 9:28pm On Oct 14, 2011
^That is not your problem.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by mikron(m): 1:42am On Oct 15, 2011
The girl ugly die.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by tpia5: 1:47am On Oct 15, 2011
ok, poster

there are better pictures than the first two you posted. undecided

you didnt make any case at all.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Nobody: 7:19am On Oct 15, 2011
@tipia Why don't you tell forbes that is not the best pic of her. I have a feeling this white people are misrepresenting what African beauty is. The otheq dude is right. That girl is ugly in the purest form. I wonder why they use her on the runway if not that they are trying to rub it in our face that all Africans look like that. Just look at Nigerias Oluchi and tell me why she's not as successful. I'll you what, the whole of Europes fashion industries big wigs have a warped sense of African beauty. Trust me i've seen it. That's why someone like her will hit the runway sometimes as the only African in a fashion show.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by babyboy3(m): 7:50am On Oct 15, 2011
@tipia Why don't you tell forbes that is not the best pic of her. I have a feeling this white people are misrepresenting what African beauty is. The otheq dude is right. That girl is ugly in the purest form.

A supermodel is not about facial beauty ITS THE WHOLE PACKAGE!!!!!!!!! height, weight, upright shoulder, walk, confidence, no skin toning and finally she doesnt have sleep with who is who to get to the top, And one other thing is that she is unique in a way because of her complexion which is perfect to model certain type of colours of fabric,

A white or bright coloured dress would easily stand out on Alex than someone like Kate Moss
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by KnowAll(m): 2:21pm On Oct 15, 2011
I think in modelling, the model is not to meant to be seen ideally rather the cloth is the centre of attention. if someone like omo sexy wears a costume people would be looking at her big hips rather than the cloth. Hence why models are extremely thin, the clothes they are modelling just hangs off their bodies. Someone mentioned walking hanger, that person is right, that is what models are 'walking hanger'.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Outstrip(f): 4:57pm On Oct 15, 2011
The picture of her is not a fair picture. She gets dolled up just like all the other models when they work. She was not there. The idea was to play up her features. She looks african just like a million and one other Africans. To you it is not beautiful though to someone else it is.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by zolzlolz(f): 5:12pm On Oct 15, 2011
John Peters said he found Barbra Streisand beautiful because she wasn't look like the standard beauty. She looked unique. Also many supermodels such as Kate Moss as mentioned above and Giselle Bundchen were not viewed as beautiful. Giselle was bullied at school, even Tyra Banks was bullied at school. Now they are coverted by many men. And Alek doesn't need men like you to think she's beautiful. She already has one.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by zolzlolz(f): 5:17pm On Oct 15, 2011
Very few African women look like Beyoncè. Sorry
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Nobody: 6:13pm On Oct 15, 2011
It still beats my imagination that she managed to do so well on the run way. I believe there's a conspiracy to wrongry depict what the beauty of an African is. Perhaps, maybe models are not supposed to look pretty. Like the other guy said, maybe they're only meant to be hangers. The fact still remains that most models at least have a pretty looking face eventhough they're skinny. Alek Wek just does not look that good and sometimes she happens to be the only black model featured in some of the A list designer's shows. That baffles me and that's why i think there's something wrong.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by zolzlolz(f): 6:33pm On Oct 15, 2011
^^^before colonisation i bet Alek would've given you a bone(r) wink
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by tpia5: 6:42pm On Oct 15, 2011
Chipmunkey

please stop comparing alek wek to igbo actresses and models.

You're simply inviting people to start attacking them, which in turn will be interpreted as igbo bashing.

Its up to designers who they want to showcase their work- that's not really your business.

If there were no alek wek in the fashion business there'd be no oluchi there either.

Learn to live and let live, and be more tolerant of others. Your idea of beauty doesnt have to match everyone else's.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by tpia5: 6:44pm On Oct 15, 2011
Tyra baks herself has said many times that she's surprised she made it that far in modelling because initially her type wasnt featured there.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Nobody: 8:44pm On Oct 15, 2011
She's ugly, no offense.

Her unique ugliness made her this far, and that her cousin abi na sister, ugly x10.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Nobody: 8:44pm On Oct 15, 2011
Even Oluchi sef looks like the bottom of my boot.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Nobody: 8:46pm On Oct 15, 2011
IMHO , she looks like an APE! No disrespect and chipmunk is right! A model should have a pretty face also! end of story. HOMOE ERECTUS.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Nobody: 8:47pm On Oct 15, 2011
engineerd:

IMHO , she looks like an APE! No disrespect and chipmunk is right! A model should have a pretty face also! end of story.

Because she's black?
Awon boys yii razist sha.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Nobody: 8:48pm On Oct 15, 2011
Nope! not cause she is black, look at the first picture, girl yen jo OBO now!
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Nobody: 8:52pm On Oct 15, 2011
Obo ko l'ewa, iya re feran e tongue
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by freecocoa(f): 8:54pm On Oct 15, 2011
Beauty is skin deep,to me she is not ugly,she is okay,she got height and the statistics for a model,the cloth fits so what again?many of you talking should shave your hairs gorimapa like her,make we see wetin una go resemble. Besides most models are not that fine facially.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by moremi2008(m): 8:55pm On Oct 15, 2011
Most Nigerians have a pretty primitive understanding of beauty. It's no surprise that they think Alek is ugly. I bet you if she was yellow or white, they would all be hailing her.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Nobody: 8:58pm On Oct 15, 2011
moremi2008:

Most Nigerians have a pretty primitive understanding of beauty. It's no surprise that they think Alek is ugly. I bet you if she was yellow or white, they would all be hailing her.

whats ur definition of "primitive understanding of beauty" Fact is she is Ugly facially, i am not talking about height or body stats or what not. And actually, she would look uglier if she were Yellow or white or purple.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Nobody: 9:05pm On Oct 15, 2011
engineerd:

whats your definition of "primitive understanding of beauty" Fact is she is Ugly facially, i am not talking about height or body stats or what not. And actually, she would look uglier if she were Yellow or white or purple.

I think she's right tho. Most Nigerians think light skin is beautiful.

But even if alek was light, she'd still be ugly. Just picture it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Yinka Ayefeles Fresh FM Is Currently Being Demolished / Checkout Timaya's Dope Church Outfit (Photo) / Timaya's Manager And Childhood Friend Dead, Prince Oluzor Shot Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.