Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,370 members, 7,836,500 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:55 AM

How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest (25666 Views)

How Private School Owners Are Dubiously Cheating Their Teachers / Burial Of 22 Students & Teachers Of Government Day Secondary School Misau Bauchi / Iyanuoluwa Osewa & Kolawole Bello Win Cowbellpedia Mathematics Teachers Of Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Fatbam005: 9:07am On Aug 30, 2023
zicoraads:
The problem with some of you, and I see a lot on this thread, is that you don't have what it takes to be at the top of the food chain. These daily topics have becoming nauseating to be honest.

Granted, there are lots of schools that pay peanuts, but there are also lots that pay very good, and give their teachers breaks all the time.

A friend got a job in one and the starting salary was 300k, with 400k annual rent. I know a lot where starting salary is 100k, with annual rent of 200k. This is in addition to staff trainings, breakfasts, medical subsidy, leave, etc. It may not be like tech and other industries, but I think it's an OK salary.

The truth is almost every profession has those who are at the top, and those at the bottom. But some of you are either too lazy, or not good enough to be at the top of the food chain. Instead of these constant complaints, do your research, build yourself and apply to these good schools.

After all, na human beings like una dey still work for there.
top of food chain.. U no see masters holder way dey collect 30k for private schools. Will you call him lazy or not good enough.

2 Likes

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Jewessgratitud3: 9:19am On Aug 30, 2023
Selfless1:

What subject do you teach? I teach English. Do you think I can also go Into part time teaching, considering the nature of the subject I teach?

I teach diction and phonics.

Well... It depends on how well you're able to package yourself and convince schools to accept you on part-time basis but schools hardly take part-time English teachers.

The most commonly sought-after part-time subject teachers are
French, Yoruba, Maths, phonics and computer teachers. If you're good in any of the above, you can start hitting schools with your proposal for part-time services.

I only worked once as a full timer a looooong time ago and it was draining with very poor pay. I had to stop and go do this phonetics and diction courses so I can be free from their wahala and God helped me.

2 Likes

Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Nazgul: 9:19am On Aug 30, 2023
placeofallure:
I know of one actually where there are people who have worked for 35 years, 28, 30, 25 etc. They have a pension scheme too, leave allowances and bonuses, several on-the-job trainings and a cooperative society that has survived decades. You are not exactly overworked but every other thing wrong with a private school is wrong with them.
This one isn't a private school anymore. It's more like a civil service job.
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by zicoraads: 9:29am On Aug 30, 2023
Fatbam005:
top of food chain.. U no see masters holder way dey collect 30k for private schools. Will you call him lazy or not good enough.
Yes, he is very lazy. Very very.
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Tayorshd87: 9:32am On Aug 30, 2023
israelmao:
Working with some private schools in Nigeria is like signing in for private slavery and exploitation.You can imagine a graduate on salary of N30,000 or far less with hard labour inspite of millions in naira being made by the school owners.

They ain't making the millions the way you see it ..

The only income the school have is school fees and which some students will still fail to pay and consider the day to day school running cost 🤔

don't forget school fees are once in a term and salaries and school financial stuffs will run daily including monthly salaries 🤔

So it's not easy the way people see it as if they make millions
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by zicoraads: 9:32am On Aug 30, 2023
And if you're a teacher, try and acquire Cambridge IGCSE certification. Buy SAT study materials and learn them.

In most big schools, a Cambridge certification gets you quicker through the door than any other thing. These are the schools where you can start your salary negotiation from 200 or 300k. From there, the opportunities become limitless.
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Jewessgratitud3: 9:58am On Aug 30, 2023
Opamercy10:

Yes, You will enjoy but little impact. While I understand that bills must be paid, Teaching isn't just to come and do. The students should be a priority and how will they reach out to you when they need you when you only come at your convenience and hurriedly leave once your time is up.
We all are slaves to this government. If governance is good, there wouldn't be kwe kwe private schools who request for 5k for school fees which spoils the business for other school owners who are striving to stay afloat after spending millions for accreditations and subsequent approvals.
It's a very deep and sad situation if you look into it well.

Who told you part-time has little impact?

Look, it depends on the tutor and sometimes our once in a week produces more results than some full timers who sit all day doing nothing because they feel theyre always there and can always do it the next day until the term runs out and they end up doing nothing.

Last term, one of my schools withheld the teachers salary for not covering the scheme for that term but I was able to cover my scheme and the children were greatly impacted that even the slowest learners among them scored above average and you're here telling me about part-time not having impact on pupils.

My method of teaching can make the dullest student understand very easily. That once a week I go there, I put my all in it to make sure they gain a lot and the schools and even parents commend me for their performance.

This same last term, a boy submitted his homework the following week and showed me a short note his Aunt scribbled in his texts book for me. She said Miss J, thank you so much. I see and appreciate your handwork. This is a woman I don't even know but she acknowledged my effort.

I do what I'm being paid for and other schools even go to my schools to ask who's their phonics/diction instructor and they recommend me. So, it's not just business as usual for me but the passion I have that drives me. Stop saying what you don't know cos my basic 5 and secondary students can confidently take you on phonetics. Not phonics o, the IPAs of English and you go open mouth waaaa...
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by sallazlee(m): 10:26am On Aug 30, 2023
money121:
With peanut salary

I dey tell you, most of them her wicked as devil
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by sallazlee(m): 10:27am On Aug 30, 2023
OKUCHI11:
70- 80k as salary... Where the school dey...

80k salary for private school, that person go dey work like slave
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by ultra100(f): 10:37am On Aug 30, 2023
Some of them would even be angry if they refuse to pay you on time and you dare ask for your salary. They believe that the teachers are ganging up against them if that should happen and even, some of them would want to turn you to a slave by expecting you to wash plates for them after a school party. Thank God I left such a slave trade!
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Nobody: 10:41am On Aug 30, 2023
fobiflex:

I quote you o, abeg give me 2odds biko

Join my thread and get daily codes ,share and like 👍
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Dom123(m): 12:06pm On Aug 30, 2023
True talk. I had the experience too before. I had to resigned for another job offer. Most owners of private schools are capitalist. They will like to exploit and drained u for the little token dey pay u at the month end. As a young man or lady no work for too long in mushrooms private schools.
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Love800(m): 12:53pm On Aug 30, 2023
In what states are these kind schools located?
zicoraads:
The problem with some of you, and I see a lot on this thread, is that you don't have what it takes to be at the top of the food chain. These daily topics have becoming nauseating to be honest.

Granted, there are lots of schools that pay peanuts, but there are also lots that pay very good, and give their teachers breaks all the time.

A friend got a job in one and the starting salary was 300k, with 400k annual rent. I know a lot where starting salary is 100k, with annual rent of 200k. This is in addition to staff trainings, breakfasts, medical subsidy, leave, etc. It may not be like tech and other industries, but I think it's an OK salary.

The truth is almost every profession has those who are at the top, and those at the bottom. But some of you are either too lazy, or not good enough to be at the top of the food chain. Instead of these constant complaints, do your research, build yourself and apply to these good schools.

After all, na human beings like una dey still work for there.
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Love800(m): 12:55pm On Aug 30, 2023
So what states should one find these good schools?
brainhgeek:
The story is not the same everywhere. I am into the academics. My pay is in hundreds of thousands, I had a summer break from 29th of June till yesterday, 28th of August and I have been put on the list of staff to go for a training outside Nigeria. All expense paid. I can say I make a decent living from teaching, however , I understand that it is a nightmare for most teachers in Nigeria, ran by Nigerian owners.
My sincerest pray is that God makes a better way for everyone who is labouring on other people's children and not getting a fair treatment for the labour. There is no sweeter payback than ditching 'slave-making' employers for those who are ready to pay for every worth of your sweat.
I also advise that teachers should upgrade their skills. There are free online courses you can take and webinars where you can get certificate of participation for.
Lastly, no matter what you do, let Abuja schools be the least on your list. My experience with them is horrible. Those guys are capitalists and will lay claim on every breath, every second and everything called freedom that comes to you. Just a few of them are really international and have staff welfare at the back of their minds.
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Love800(m): 12:59pm On Aug 30, 2023
Hw do one find and apply in this kind of schools?
Kaka77:
Though you are partially correct, but there are some schools that pay 120k to 200k to their teachers. I currently work in a British School as a Teacher in Abuja, I earn 140k, if i add lesons and other online engagement, it sum up to 300k monthly. As a Teacher one need to upgrade and get the required certificates to Teach in top schools.
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Love800(m): 1:08pm On Aug 30, 2023
Hw can a sch cert be paid dis amount?

I dont believe u.
youngdabold19:

Talking about career growth and payment depends on where you work.

My salary has been increased twice since I joined my place of work 16 months ago. From 70k, I now earn 110k plus I'm a school cert holder running a part time university program. In some schools, participation in summer lesson is optional. Like I said, it depends on where one works
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Love800(m): 1:12pm On Aug 30, 2023
Hw can one achieve this?
I teach english though.
Ann4impact:
Part-time teaching pays more than being a full time teacher.
I'm into part-time teaching, I handle 3 schools, Mon- Weds (2hrly). Thurs & Fri I run my private business & by the end of the month, I receive 60k (20k respectively) apart from that, I also engage on weekend lessons.

Suffice to say, it's all about being wise & smart.
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Love800(m): 1:15pm On Aug 30, 2023
Pls can u connect me with this sch?
sprints1:
Private school na scam. Was working for chrisland they sucked the life out of me had to resign was earning over 100+ but a bit less than 150k. But still dey struggle with time and life. Had to resign becos dem no care about my health. When I left I also discovered people left too. Because dem no want people leave they have turned most of dem to supervisors . Just to make people stay.
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Love800(m): 1:20pm On Aug 30, 2023
What schs can one start his/her negotiations?
zicoraads:
And if you're a teacher, try and acquire Cambridge IGCSE certification. Buy SAT study materials and learn them.

In most big schools, a Cambridge certification gets you quicker through the door than any other thing. These are the schools where you can start your salary negotiation from 200 or 300k. From there, the opportunities become limitless.
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Nten: 1:22pm On Aug 30, 2023
laidima88:

I don't know why u people keep quoting me, I've just said the bitter truth, it is those same category of people that badmouth education at any giving chance.

I'm sure 80% of those saying jaggons about education here don't study it and they are the main cause of this problems they are lamenting about.

U have no point cause what u are saying occur in all fields, there is no way u can do better than someone who did education course from part 1 to 4 even if u do PG unless the person does not know what he is doing. And also everybody cannot be good no matter the field.

The truth is always bitter but you have said it all.
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by zicoraads: 1:31pm On Aug 30, 2023
Love800:
In what states are these kind schools located?
Lagos, Abuja, Kano, Kaduna, Niger, etc.
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Omoolaissagoal: 1:37pm On Aug 30, 2023
Hmmmm, this is the best I have learned today
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by brainhgeek(m): 1:41pm On Aug 30, 2023
Love800:
So what states should one find these good schools?
I don't claim a knowledge of a perfect directory and I can't speak for all international schools but I know good schools in Abuja, Lagos, Ibadan, Port Harcourt etc. You have to search diligently. Most, if not all, are international schools.
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Love800(m): 2:03pm On Aug 30, 2023
Ok.
But can u define international school for me?

What does it really mean?
brainhgeek:
I don't claim a knowledge of a perfect directory and I can't speak for all international schools but I know good schools in Abuja, Lagos, Ibadan, Port Harcourt etc. You have to search diligently. Most, if not all, are international schools.
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Love800(m): 2:04pm On Aug 30, 2023
Ok. Tankz so much
zicoraads:

Lagos, Abuja, Kano, Kaduna, Niger, etc.
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Tonniext(m): 2:43pm On Aug 30, 2023
Fact.
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Plight21(f): 2:46pm On Aug 30, 2023
Wizuman:

Those places are covers. The longer u stay with them the farther good jobs run from u.

Leave ASAP. I am sorry to tell u this

Hmmm!
You're right to some extent.
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by sprints1: 3:00pm On Aug 30, 2023
Love800:
Pls can u connect me with this sch?
send your CV to Bradfield consulting limited ask of Mr ayotunde when you get there 1 Alhaji Jimoh Street, Adeniyi Jones, Ikeja.
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Omoolaissagoal: 3:39pm On Aug 30, 2023
Tayorshd87:

They ain't making the millions the way you see it ..

The only income the school have is school fees and which some students will still fail to pay and consider the day to day school running cost 🤔

don't forget school fees are once in a term and salaries and school financial stuffs will run daily including monthly salaries 🤔

So it's not easy the way people see it as if they make millions
This is. not true
Most make millions but act as. not, as the school bursar . I was once a bursar , we make cool money daily but oga will still say no money come dey look my face . It was horrible
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by brainhgeek(m): 4:15pm On Aug 30, 2023
Love800:
Ok.
But can u define international school for me?

What does it really mean?
Make Google useful sir/ma.
An international school adopts international curricular fully or together with an indigenous curriculum.
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Love800(m): 4:46pm On Aug 30, 2023
I will send the CV online or offline?
sprints1:
send your CV to Bradfield consulting limited ask of Mr ayotunde when you get there 1 Alhaji Jimoh Street, Adeniyi Jones, Ikeja.
Re: How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest by Love800(m): 4:47pm On Aug 30, 2023
Ok. Tank u
brainhgeek:

Make Google useful sir/ma.
An international school adopts international curricular fully or together with an indigenous curriculum.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

BREAKING: Resumption Date For Pry, Sec Schools Changed / Reasons Why Students Fail In Their First Year / Adult Education: I Am Still Proud Of My Department Despite The Negative Comments

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.