Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,932 members, 7,835,111 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:45 AM

Was Edo Land Conquered By Yoruba? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Was Edo Land Conquered By Yoruba? (338 Views)

“Igbos Have Conquered The World In Terms Of Sports, Business & Professionalism" / Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British / Akiolu: Benin Monarch Came To Lagos Territories, Fought And Conquered (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Was Edo Land Conquered By Yoruba? by Akobe777: 3:38pm On Aug 30, 2023
Sorry if this question upsets some people, it is not my intention.

I have been researching where my parents come from and to be honest I'm not convinced of the general concensus is around the so called "Benin Empire"
It honestly feels like people are making it up or hiding the facts.

1) Benin comes from the name ile binu

2) this is a yoruba name/word

3) it was named by a yoruba royal whom the benin people asked to be their king? (wtf)

4)oba is a yoruba word

5) apparently yoruba was the language spoken in the palace until recently

6) yoruba bronzes stopped being made the time Benin bronzes started

7) there are numerous stories of various tribes running away from Benin - I'm going it assume it was due to human sacrifice and slavery. Some people even ended up in Ghana. (strange)

cool the head of the oba is taken to ile ife

I mean there's a lot more, but when I look at the facts plainly. It looks as is the "edo" people were conquered and this story of asking someone of ife to be their king is a cover up.

Its hard to imagine a people with their own language and traditions would seeks an outsider who would bring their own language to the thrown, put them of for human sacrifice, sell them into slavery so much that various tribes have stories of having to escape undecided

How on earth is this normal?
I can't be the only person who thinks it's bs
Re: Was Edo Land Conquered By Yoruba? by AutomaticMotors: 1:12am On Aug 31, 2023
Olu get a life!!! An old man like you still making a fool of himself for 12yrs straight it's getting pathetic!!
Re: Was Edo Land Conquered By Yoruba? by Akobe777: 2:49am On Aug 31, 2023
?
Re: Was Edo Land Conquered By Yoruba? by UMUAZEE: 3:25am On Aug 31, 2023
Akobe777:
Sorry if this question upsets some people, it is not my intention.

I have been researching where my parents come from and to be honest I'm not convinced of the general concensus is around the so called "Benin Empire"
It honestly feels like people are making it up or hiding the facts.

1) Benin comes from the name ile binu

2) this is a yoruba name/word

3) it was named by a yoruba royal whom the benin people asked to be their king? (wtf)

4)oba is a yoruba word

5) apparently yoruba was the language spoken in the palace until recently

6) yoruba bronzes stopped being made the time Benin bronzes started

7) there are numerous stories of various tribes running away from Benin - I'm going it assume it was due to human sacrifice and slavery. Some people even ended up in Ghana. (strange)

cool the head of the oba is taken to ile ife

I mean there's a lot more, but when I look at the facts plainly. It looks as is the "edo" people were conquered and this story of asking someone of ife to be their king is a cover up.

Its hard to imagine a people with their own language and traditions would seeks an outsider who would bring their own language to the thrown, put them of for human sacrifice, sell them into slavery so much that various tribes have stories of having to escape undecided

How on earth is this normal?
I can't be the only person who thinks it's bs

If you believe everything you wrote here then you also believe Oduduwa fell from the sky!
Re: Was Edo Land Conquered By Yoruba? by Akobe777: 4:45pm On Aug 31, 2023
Why would I think that?
Am I supposed to prostrate before asking questions?
I would have loved to post this on reddit for a real response. Jesus
Thanks for nothing

(1) (Reply)

Lomé Vs Cotonou: West African Cities That Will Take Your Breath Away / Records Of Performance Are Often Kept / The Pioneers Of The New Era, Please Come Close To Lifechanyuan!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.