Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,986 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:46 AM

At Least 52 Die In Johannesburg Building Fire - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / At Least 52 Die In Johannesburg Building Fire (11691 Views)

Two Children Die In Lagos Building Collapse / Inside N72,000,000 Johannesburg South African Mansion (video, Photos) / 7 People Die, 28 Others Injured In Paris Building Fire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

At Least 52 Die In Johannesburg Building Fire by TMKsouth: 7:45am On Aug 31, 2023
At least 63 people have died in a fire in a multi-storey building in Johannesburg, South Africa’s biggest city, emergency services have said. A toddler is among those killed.

Emergency Management Services said another 43 people were injured in the blaze, which broke out early on Thursday.

The building has been evacuated, and spokesperson Robert Mulaudzi said a search and recovery operation was under way. It was likely the death toll would rise, he said, and it was not immediately clear what caused the blaze.

Inside the five-storey building was “an informal settlement”, Mulaudzi said. “So there [are] a lot of informal structures inside the building. There is a lot of debris which we have to remove.”

Authorities said the fire had been largely extinguished, but smoke still seeped out of the blackened building in downtown Johannesburg.

Television footage showed fire trucks and ambulances outside the red and white building with burned-out windows, which had been cordoned off by police.

The building was the fourth “older building” to catch alight in the city in recent months, local news organisation Times Live reported. Earlier in August, the top floor of a building in the suburb of Yeoville, near the central business district, caught alight, while in June, two children were killed in a fire in Hilbrow and in July, a fire broke out after an underground gas explosion.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thenationalnews.com/world/africa/2023/08/31/dozens-of-people-killed-in-johannesburg-apartment-blaze/%3foutputType=amp

1 Share

Re: At Least 52 Die In Johannesburg Building Fire by TemplarLandry: 7:45am On Aug 31, 2023

1 Like 1 Share

Re: At Least 52 Die In Johannesburg Building Fire by Alchemy528: 7:46am On Aug 31, 2023
At least... Suggestions for death
Re: At Least 52 Die In Johannesburg Building Fire by TMKsouth: 7:49am On Aug 31, 2023
VIDEO:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=iGkACEhf1nk&si=CqaknD-MDXJJHWil

Death toll has risen to 63 with 43 others injured.

Re: At Least 52 Die In Johannesburg Building Fire by nairalanda1(m): 7:51am On Aug 31, 2023
Sometimes, governments should just strictly enforce rules, and damm the consequences.

Anytime anyone of them informal settlements is demolished, there would be a long story about how we are letting the poor suffer and all that.

Well, this one was allowed to stand, with all the fire hazard inside.

8 Likes

Re: At Least 52 Die In Johannesburg Building Fire by Sektor101(m): 7:53am On Aug 31, 2023
What a lost

Re: At Least 52 Die In Johannesburg Building Fire by Racoon(m): 7:53am On Aug 31, 2023
shocked How can the world be sure this was not an arsonist attack? SA and jealously for other African brother is legendary

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: At Least 52 Die In Johannesburg Building Fire by jeff1993: 7:53am On Aug 31, 2023
May At Least 52 Die In Johannesburg Building Firefavor me and my family

1 Like

Re: At Least 52 Die In Johannesburg Building Fire by Akfrenzy(m): 7:54am On Aug 31, 2023
angry
Re: At Least 52 Die In Johannesburg Building Fire by Winters23: 7:54am On Aug 31, 2023
shocked

How can Africans be called illegal immigrants in another African country?

16 Likes

Re: At Least 52 Die In Johannesburg Building Fire by ecolime(m): 7:54am On Aug 31, 2023
At least 52?

This is really sad. RIP to the dead cry

1 Like

Re: At Least 52 Die In Johannesburg Building Fire by Anitatunde(f): 7:54am On Aug 31, 2023
Sad

I have been trapped in a burning building once. I know how terrible this can be

6 Likes

Re: At Least 52 Die In Johannesburg Building Fire by finallybusy: 7:55am On Aug 31, 2023
Let's hope arson didn't play a part. I don't trust those Thebogo people.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: At Least 52 Die In Johannesburg Building Fire by ATEAMS: 7:55am On Aug 31, 2023
High grade ritual?
Re: At Least 52 Die In Johannesburg Building Fire by kennyz247(m): 7:56am On Aug 31, 2023
see people lives been perished ..
God have mercy and forgive their sins
Re: At Least 52 Die In Johannesburg Building Fire by Vokallond1(m): 7:56am On Aug 31, 2023
According to the Nairaland Classification model i built, this news is correctly placed in the PROPERTIES category.
This predictive model is based on the training data i used which is hundreds of thousand of nairaland frontpage articles collected over the years. The model have so far achieved an accuracy of 90.1%

I plan will create a thread describing in detail the method i used to build this A.I model, plus other tutorial threads. Give me a follow and stay tuned.

4 Likes

Re: At Least 52 Die In Johannesburg Building Fire by Opexzy: 7:56am On Aug 31, 2023
This is so sad...
Not the kind of news I want to start my morning with.
I hope the government investigate the cause of this tragedy.

RIP to the departed.
Re: At Least 52 Die In Johannesburg Building Fire by money121(m): 7:57am On Aug 31, 2023
shocked shocked
Re: At Least 52 Die In Johannesburg Building Fire by TerneDesign: 7:57am On Aug 31, 2023

Re: At Least 52 Die In Johannesburg Building Fire by wink2015(m): 7:58am On Aug 31, 2023
finallybusy:
Let's hope arson didn't play a part. I don't trust those Thebogo people.

Who are the Thebogo people ?

A tribe in South Africa ?

Tell us !
Re: At Least 52 Die In Johannesburg Building Fire by wink2015(m): 7:58am On Aug 31, 2023
May the Souls of all the Victims of this Fire incident rest in peace.

My deepest condolence to the families of the Victims and to the people and government of South Africa.

I feel your pain right from Nigeria.

May Almighty save us from lives tradegy.

This I pray in Jesus Mighty Name.

Amen.

2 Likes

Re: At Least 52 Die In Johannesburg Building Fire by Timoleon(m): 7:58am On Aug 31, 2023
Ring... ring...

(J’burg fire department)

Hello this is the Johannesburg fire department, what’s your emergency?

(Voice on phone)

There’s a fire going in a large residential building here. Hundreds of immigrants are trapped in the fire.

(J’burg fire department)

Did I hear you say immigrants?

(Voice on phone)

Yes. Zimbabweans and lots of other Africans.

(J’burg Fire department)

That’s not a fire emergency, that’s a barbecue going on. In any case the fire service is currently busy. We are here picking beans🙄

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: At Least 52 Die In Johannesburg Building Fire by Pimola: 7:58am On Aug 31, 2023
R.I.P to them

1 Like

Re: At Least 52 Die In Johannesburg Building Fire by jjcena(m): 7:59am On Aug 31, 2023
That fire was probably started by someone connected to the owner of the building in order to flush out the so called Zimbabweans com illegal immigrants hijacking the building.

1 Like

Re: At Least 52 Die In Johannesburg Building Fire by finallybusy: 7:59am On Aug 31, 2023
wink2015:

Who are the Thebogo people ?

A tribe in South Africa ?

Tell us !
The sky is blue. Do you want any more facts?

1 Like

Re: At Least 52 Die In Johannesburg Building Fire by Unperturbedpota: 7:59am On Aug 31, 2023
Osanobua!!!!

cry cry

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Housing: 32yrs After, FG Flags Off Federal Sites At Umunya, Awkuzu / / Updated Urgent Sales: Lands, Houses @ Lagos & Ogun State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.