Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,156 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:15 AM

Dele Bolade Samson Babaola, Others Arrested Over Fake $1bn Bound For Africa - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Dele Bolade Samson Babaola, Others Arrested Over Fake $1bn Bound For Africa (17644 Views)

After $1bn Drop, Nigeria May Suffer Further Decline In FX Inflows – PWC / Tribunal sacks Kano House of Reps member, Yerima over fake certificate / Eniola Adenuga To Be Arrested Over Child, Anthena & Mother, Damilola, Saga (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dele Bolade Samson Babaola, Others Arrested Over Fake $1bn Bound For Africa by Islie: 9:42am On Sep 01, 2023
CBN Alerts Banks on Arrest of Nigerian, Others Over Seizure of Fake $1bn Bound for Africa

James Emejo in Abuja

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has alerted banks and other financial institutions of the arrest of a Nigerian and four others over their alleged involvement in currency counterfeiting amounting to $1 billion, which was bound for African countries. T

herefore, the central bank, pursuant to Regulation 4 of the CBN Anti-Money Laundering, Combating the Financing of Terrorism and Countering Proliferation Financing of Weapons of Mass Destruction in Financial Institutions) Regulations, 2022, (CBN AML/CFT/CPF Regulations), directed financial institutions to conduct searches on their database to determine any information related to the identified individuals. The apex bank stated this in an administrative letter to banks and Other Financial Institutions (OFIs), dated August 23, 2023, which was signed by the CBN Director, Financial Policy and Regulations Department, Chibuzo Efobi.

The CBN also asked them to check whether they maintain any accounts or hold any funds or economic resources for the persons involved. The banks were further requested to identify and file suspicious transactions reports to the Nigerian Financial Intelligence Unit (NFIU) and render NIL reports to the unit where no such records exist. The CBN also directed the banks to comply with the directive immediately.

The arrested persons were identified as Dele Bolade Samson Babaola, who holds both Nigerian and Swedish citizenship. Others were Kean Kwasi Arhin from Ghana; Netanel Jacob Weiss, from the United Kingdom; BO Nils Olof Forsanker and Peter Willi Herbert Schick both from Sweden.

The central bank has stepped up its vigilance against money laundering activities to further protect the financial system. On July 6, the CBN urged banks and other financial institutions (OFIs) to be vigilant and alert to possible emerging risks resulting from the circumvention of measures taken to protect the international financial system. The central bank in an administrative circular issued following the outcome of the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) plenary held between June 21-23, 2023, had further alerted the banks on the addition of Cameroon, Croatia, and Vietnam to the list of jurisdictions under increased monitoring by FATF. The apex bank further stressed that the Democratic Peoples Republic of Korea, Iran, and Myanmar remained on the list of high-risk jurisdictions subject to “Call for Action”, urging that enhanced due diligence should be applied, and in severe cases, countermeasures may need to be implemented to safeguard the international financial system.

The bank had emphasised that the suspension of the Russian Federation’s membership in the FATF remained in effect. In light of the development, the central bank had further directed financial institutions to note all additions to jurisdictions under “Increased Monitoring” as well as high-risk jurisdictions subject to a “Call for Action” and take necessary measures to mitigate these risks effectively. The FATF is the global money laundering and terrorist financing watchdog that sets international standards that aim to prevent illegal activities and the harm they cause to society. THISDAY however, gathered that the jurisdictions under increased monitoring are actively working with the FATF to address strategic deficiencies in their regimes to counter money laundering, terrorist financing, and proliferation financing.

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2023/09/01/cbn-alerts-banks-on-arrest-of-nigerian-others-over-seizure-of-fake-1bn-bound-for-africa

3 Likes

Re: Dele Bolade Samson Babaola, Others Arrested Over Fake $1bn Bound For Africa by Righthussle: 9:44am On Sep 01, 2023
Congratulations CBN. I woke up this morning to read that our dear naira is the worst performing currency in Africa.

Please "my sons" help us Arrest Maxwell Odum of MBA Forex

and Chinmark CEO

48 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Dele Bolade Samson Babaola, Others Arrested Over Fake $1bn Bound For Africa by Alchemy528: 9:51am On Sep 01, 2023
Alright theirs no problem About it
Re: Dele Bolade Samson Babaola, Others Arrested Over Fake $1bn Bound For Africa by seandurse(m): 9:59am On Sep 01, 2023
Naira will never forgive you, CBN

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dele Bolade Samson Babaola, Others Arrested Over Fake $1bn Bound For Africa by loosecanon50(m): 9:59am On Sep 01, 2023
If I say what is in my mind, I fit chop ban for 100years..so I won't say it.

No, I won't.

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Dele Bolade Samson Babaola, Others Arrested Over Fake $1bn Bound For Africa by Wealthoptulent(m): 10:00am On Sep 01, 2023
Great job
Re: Dele Bolade Samson Babaola, Others Arrested Over Fake $1bn Bound For Africa by GeneralPula: 10:00am On Sep 01, 2023
Going digital has helped hackers a lot..

USA lost more than 500B to scam during corona benefit..

Be careful with the way you make payment online with your bank!

13 Likes

Re: Dele Bolade Samson Babaola, Others Arrested Over Fake $1bn Bound For Africa by MosayA: 10:00am On Sep 01, 2023
Crime everywhere
Re: Dele Bolade Samson Babaola, Others Arrested Over Fake $1bn Bound For Africa by Benwallt(m): 10:01am On Sep 01, 2023
In the words of 2pac "will there ever be peace?"

Africa is painful.

2 Likes

Re: Dele Bolade Samson Babaola, Others Arrested Over Fake $1bn Bound For Africa by Risingblue008(m): 10:02am On Sep 01, 2023
Fhe
Re: Dele Bolade Samson Babaola, Others Arrested Over Fake $1bn Bound For Africa by Beverlyjean(f): 10:02am On Sep 01, 2023
Na dem dem.... lazy people ...always decieving and thinking and living fraud

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dele Bolade Samson Babaola, Others Arrested Over Fake $1bn Bound For Africa by 9jabox(m): 10:02am On Sep 01, 2023
Shey them fit give us some prt of the money make we keep for them?

Naso I hear the other day say them carry plane load of fake gold enter Zimbabwe.
People get mind for this world ò.
Re: Dele Bolade Samson Babaola, Others Arrested Over Fake $1bn Bound For Africa by Manny21: 10:03am On Sep 01, 2023
Are you sure this is not in collusion with CBN officials?

2 Likes

Re: Dele Bolade Samson Babaola, Others Arrested Over Fake $1bn Bound For Africa by Weedhustler: 10:03am On Sep 01, 2023
Get rich! Or die hard in tryin!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dele Bolade Samson Babaola, Others Arrested Over Fake $1bn Bound For Africa by Risingblue008(m): 10:04am On Sep 01, 2023
Fraud started from the west,

But
Dominated in Nigeria

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dele Bolade Samson Babaola, Others Arrested Over Fake $1bn Bound For Africa by Akaegwu(m): 10:04am On Sep 01, 2023
Igbo people spoiling Nigeria's name everywhere. Dele bolade

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Dele Bolade Samson Babaola, Others Arrested Over Fake $1bn Bound For Africa by Nobody: 10:04am On Sep 01, 2023
grin
Re: Dele Bolade Samson Babaola, Others Arrested Over Fake $1bn Bound For Africa by Boyooosa(m): 10:05am On Sep 01, 2023
Ah
Re: Dele Bolade Samson Babaola, Others Arrested Over Fake $1bn Bound For Africa by Mopolchi: 10:06am On Sep 01, 2023
I will hit the ground running. Then you look and notice that a mechanic is acting as cbn governor. I now shake my head and spit.

2 Likes

Re: Dele Bolade Samson Babaola, Others Arrested Over Fake $1bn Bound For Africa by datola: 10:07am On Sep 01, 2023
1 billion what!
Re: Dele Bolade Samson Babaola, Others Arrested Over Fake $1bn Bound For Africa by UcheKingsley1: 10:08am On Sep 01, 2023
No fakes.

I have Facebook Groups for sales (1M & 221K) and 1K+ YouTube subscribers from r sales, if you are interested reachout to me on my profile
Re: Dele Bolade Samson Babaola, Others Arrested Over Fake $1bn Bound For Africa by SmartPolician: 10:08am On Sep 01, 2023
$1 billion? Most Nigerian states don't even have that money!

What were those fools thinking? You want to move that money without alerting the authorities? Jokers!

2 Likes

Re: Dele Bolade Samson Babaola, Others Arrested Over Fake $1bn Bound For Africa by julaion: 10:08am On Sep 01, 2023
Akaegwu:
Igbo people spoiling Nigeria's name everywhere. Dele bolade
Mumu idiot like you,no be ur Yoruba brother them catch some,about Igbo don dey answer bolade

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dele Bolade Samson Babaola, Others Arrested Over Fake $1bn Bound For Africa by whytediamond(m): 10:08am On Sep 01, 2023
cheesy
Re: Dele Bolade Samson Babaola, Others Arrested Over Fake $1bn Bound For Africa by YoungLionken(m): 10:09am On Sep 01, 2023
Damn! It's like we now have more scammers in suits than the ones in ripped jeans and dreadlocks...

1 Like

Re: Dele Bolade Samson Babaola, Others Arrested Over Fake $1bn Bound For Africa by Benwallt(m): 10:09am On Sep 01, 2023
Righthussle:
Congratulations CBN. I woke up this morning to hear that our dear naira is the worst performing currency in Africa.

Please help us Arrest Maxwell Odum of MBA Forex

and Chinmark CEO

The kind of destruction and rot brought about by Emefiele cannot be remedied in ten years.
Re: Dele Bolade Samson Babaola, Others Arrested Over Fake $1bn Bound For Africa by theophorus(m): 10:09am On Sep 01, 2023
Fraud and the wahala it brings.

Well, Mr. Dele you don enter the gbege wen you dey look for. All the Best ooo.

To those who do Crypto, I hope una dey learn gradually.

1 Like

Re: Dele Bolade Samson Babaola, Others Arrested Over Fake $1bn Bound For Africa by Nature33: 10:09am On Sep 01, 2023
APC is looking for non-existing excuses.
FG if u are broke again, contact abacha' s spirit. that's our new ATM nah!!
Re: Dele Bolade Samson Babaola, Others Arrested Over Fake $1bn Bound For Africa by Zxcvbnmghtr: 10:10am On Sep 01, 2023
Mopolchi:
I will hit the ground running. Then you look and notice that a mechanic is acting as cbn governor. I now shake my head and spits.

grin Emefiele is not a Mechanic. cheesy
Re: Dele Bolade Samson Babaola, Others Arrested Over Fake $1bn Bound For Africa by SmartPolician: 10:10am On Sep 01, 2023
julaion:
Mumu idiot like you,no be ur Yoruba brother them catch some,about Igbo don dey answer bolade

Na sarcasm. Grow up!

22 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Dangote/black Rhino Group To Construct $10bn Power Plants In Kano / Tranos Officially Opens Its End To End Factory In Lagos / How To Start A Registered Lotto Company

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.