Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,797 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:08 AM

Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. (2606 Views)

The Origin Of Freemasonry Is North Africa Sex Worship And Human Sacrifice / Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? / Does The Bible Endorse Human Sacrifice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by TheMadame(f): 7:37pm On Sep 01, 2023
The story of the tragedy of Judge Jephthah and his unnamed daughter occurs in the book of Judges chapter 11. I have always been disturbed by this story in the Bible. This passage comes across as a hard passage to take. when we juxtapose this story with the story of Abraham and Isaac in Genesis chapter 22. I wonder why God does not intervene and stop Jephthah from sacrificing his daughter? My research in the Bible took me to Leviticus chapter 5,which talks about restitution sacrifices to replace rash Leviticus makes a provision for substitution's of animal sacrifice for rash vows and I wonder if Jephthah as a judge in Israel was not aware of this law and instead chose to go ahead and make a human sacrifice of his daughter to God.
May God give us enlightenment to understand his word.

Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by TheMadame(f): 7:41pm On Sep 01, 2023
Judges Chapter 11,verse 33-40.

33 And he smote them from Aroer, even till thou come to Minnith, even twenty cities, and unto the plain of the vineyards, with a very great slaughter. Thus the children of Ammon were subdued before the children of Israel.

34 And Jephthah came to Mizpeh unto his house, and, behold, his daughter came out to meet him with timbrels and with dances: and she was his only child; beside her he had neither son nor daughter.

35 And it came to pass, when he saw her, that he rent his clothes, and said, Alas, my daughter! thou hast brought me very low, and thou art one of them that trouble me: for I have opened my mouth unto the Lord, and I cannot go back.

36 And she said unto him, My father, if thou hast opened thy mouth unto the Lord, do to me according to that which hath proceeded out of thy mouth; forasmuch as the Lord hath taken vengeance for thee of thine enemies, even of the children of Ammon.

37 And she said unto her father, Let this thing be done for me: let me alone two months, that I may go up and down upon the mountains, and bewail my virginity, I and my fellows.

38 And he said, Go. And he sent her away for two months: and she went with her companions, and bewailed her virginity upon the mountains.

39 And it came to pass at the end of two months, that she returned unto her father, who did with her according to his vow which he had vowed: and she knew no man. And it was a custom in Israel,

40 That the daughters of Israel went yearly to lament the daughter of Jephthah the Gileadite four days in a year
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by confusedlady: 8:04pm On Sep 01, 2023
TheMadame:
The story of the tragedy of Judge Jephthah and his unnamed daughter occurs in the book of Judges chapter 11. I have always been disturbed by this story in the Bible. This passage comes across as a hard passage to take. when we juxtapose this story with the story of Abraham and Isaac in Genesis chapter 22. I wonder why God does not intervene and stop Jephthah from sacrificing his daughter? My research in the Bible took me to Leviticus chapter 5,which talks about restitution sacrifices to replace rash Leviticus makes a provision for substitution's of animal sacrifice for rash vows and I wonder if Jephthah as a judge in Israel was not aware of this law and instead chose to go ahead and make a human sacrifice of his daughter to God.
May God give us enlightenment to understand his word.

There was no human sacrifice. The daughter became a virgin dedicated to the work of God. There is nowhere human sacrifice is mentioned at the end of the chapter.
Pray for God to open your mind to understand and digest his words.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Bestbrain123(m): 9:17pm On Sep 01, 2023
I wonder where you got such bullshit from
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by TheMadame(f): 5:05am On Sep 02, 2023
confusedlady:

There was no human sacrifice. The daughter became a virgin dedicated to the work of God. There is nowhere human sacrifice is mentioned at the end of the chapter.
Pray for God to open your mind to understand and digest his words.

How anyone can read the Judges chapter 11 story and come to this conclusion baffles me completely.
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Dtruthspeaker: 5:23am On Sep 02, 2023
TheMadame:

How anyone can read the Judges chapter 11 story and come to this conclusion baffles me completely.

I was shocked too but then I remembered that Buhari/Tinubu have been making people go mad daily as they live in delusions.
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by confusedlady: 10:35am On Sep 02, 2023
TheMadame:

Can you point to which portion of the story says the unnamed daughter of Jephthah was sacrificed to God.
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by TheMadame(f): 11:23am On Sep 02, 2023
confusedlady:

Can you point to which portion of the story says the unnamed daughter of Jephthah was sacrificed to God.

Here you are

Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by confusedlady: 11:28am On Sep 02, 2023
TheMadame:

Here you are

Where is sacrifice mentioned in what you quoted?
So vow now equals to sacrifice?

Know this today that in Deuteronomy 12:31. God specifically forbids human sacrifice. Human sacrifice is a direct violation of Mosaic law.
The way that passage is written makes it obvious that the daughter was dedicated to the Lord as a perpetual virgin and not a human sacrifice. Judges 11:39

1 Like

Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Dantedasz(m): 1:07pm On Sep 02, 2023
Christians never cease to amaze and twist things written in their holy books. The Christian god pretends not to love human sacrifice but encourages it throughout the book. from Abraham and Isaac to Jephthah and his daughter to even his own begotten son Jesus Christ. Pastors in churches seldom or ever preach on the Jephthah conundrum because it puts their god in a bad light. Christians always avoid threads like this one because they have no answers to the questions raised on the morality of human sacrifice of an innocent girl on a bon fire to please a god. the brave Christians will come her and argue in an illogical manner that the girl was not sacrificed but consecrated as a virgin to god.

1 Like

Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by SIRTee15: 2:25pm On Sep 02, 2023
Dantedasz:
Christians never cease to amaze and twist things written in their holy books. The Christian god pretends not to love human sacrifice but encourages it throughout the book. from Abraham and Isaac to Jephthah and his daughter to even his own begotten son Jesus Christ. Pastors in churches seldom or ever preach on the Jephthah conundrum because it puts their god in a bad light. Christians always avoid threads like this one because they have no answers to the questions raised on the morality of human sacrifice of an innocent girl on a bon fire to please a god. the brave Christians will come her and argue in an illogical manner that the girl was not sacrificed but consecrated as a virgin to god.

Show us where the girl was used as sacrifice or shut up.
As per TheMadame, I stopped taking her serious when she couldn't answer my simple question of logic in her previous thread.
If I bounce on u too now, u go gentle. Bunch of fake wannabe atheist or whatever Una call yourself.
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by SIRTee15: 2:27pm On Sep 02, 2023
TheMadame:

Here you are

How many women went to the tomb of jesus according to gospel of John account.
Pls answer the question with logic.

Once u done we will thrash your new post.
Unless u understand logic, it's pointless debating u.
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Dantedasz(m): 2:43pm On Sep 02, 2023
SIRTee15:

Show us where the girl was used as sacrifice or shut up.
As per TheMadame, I stopped taking her serious when she couldn't answer my simple question of logic in her previous thread.
If I bounce on u too now, u go gentle. Bunch of fake wannabe atheist or whatever Una call yourself.

The joke is on you and your fellow Christians.
This rubbish is in your religious book.
Your god supports and enables human sacrifice to hself. Examples abound in your book. Abraham and Isaac,Jephthah and his nameless daughter and above all the sacrifice of his only begotten son on a stake.
The jokes on you son.
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by TheMadame(f): 2:59pm On Sep 02, 2023
confusedlady:

Where is sacrifice mentioned in what you quoted?
So vow now equals to sacrifice?

Know this today that in Deuteronomy 12:31. God specifically forbids human sacrifice. Human sacrifice is a direct violation of Mosaic law.
The way that passage is written makes it obvious that the daughter was dedicated to the Lord as a perpetual virgin and not a human sacrifice. Judges 11:39

While I agree with you that God forbids human sacrifice as per mosaic laws, Jephthah for reasons best known to himself apparently decided to go against all Mosaic laws and made a sacrifice of his daughter. it was a rash vow but only a person with comprehension problems would go ahead and say the girl was not sacrificed.
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by SIRTee15: 3:39pm On Sep 02, 2023
Dantedasz:

Your god supports and enables human sacrifice to hself. Examples abound in your book. Abraham and Isaac,Jephthah and his nameless daughter and above all the sacrifice of his only begotten son on a stake.
The jokes on you son.

🥱🥱🥱

Show me your shallow knowledge of the bible without telling me.
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Dtruthspeaker: 4:02pm On Sep 02, 2023
Dantedasz:

Why must you atheists be evil? If you read the bible, you would see that no where did God issue such a command, but that japhtheh raised it suo moto.

And when you read it where you not surprised that someone would make such a vow?

If you had any form of morality then you would have appreciated that God Judged him and made him be the one to reap what he sowed instead of another person's child, as you shall reap all that you sow!
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Dtruthspeaker: 4:13pm On Sep 02, 2023
Dantedasz:

The jokes on you son.

You are the one talking rubbish for every reasonable person sees that Abraham's own was a Test, Japhtheh was on a frolic of his own, Jesus offered His Life like Leonardo di Caprio did in the movie Titanic to save Elizabeth's life or (leave movie) those people who died protecting their loved ones in the cinema in the US when one devil came to kill them.

All within normal human relations. So you are just talking absolute nonsense.
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Dantedasz(m): 4:14pm On Sep 02, 2023
SIRTee15:

🥱🥱🥱

Show me your shallow knowledge of the bible without telling me.

Is human sacrifice condoned by your supreme deity in your religious book or not?
Abraham.
Jephthah
Jesus .
Argue with your story book mate.
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Dantedasz(m): 4:15pm On Sep 02, 2023
Dtruthspeaker:

Why must you atheists be evil? If you read the bible, you would see that no where did God issue such a command, but that japhtheh raised it suo moto.

And when you read it where you not surprised that someone would make such a vow?

If you had any form of morality then you would have appreciated that God Judged him and made him be the one to reap what he sowed instead of another person's child, as you shall reap all that you sow!

At the emboldened,
Is that how a moral God should act in your opinion?
A moral benevolent god?? If such an entity loves burnt human flesh so much why not sacrifice Jephthah himself instead of the innocent girl? Or better still give him a ram or goat🐐 to sacrifice??
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Dantedasz(m): 4:20pm On Sep 02, 2023
Dtruthspeaker:

You are the one talking rubbish for every reasonable person sees that Abraham's own was a Test, Japhtheh was on a frolic of his own, Jesus offered His Life like Leonardo di Caprio did in the movie Titanic to save Elizabeth's life or (leave movie) those people who died protecting their loved ones in the cinema in the US when one devil came to kill them.

All within normal human relations. So you are just talking absolute nonsense.

At emboldened,
1. Your god being omniscient(if he really is omniscient) should have known he did not need to test Abraham.
2. Jephthah is now on his own no longer carrying out the sacrifice to please and worship his God?
3. Comparing a god son(Iesus Chrestus) to a movie character)di Caprio) is apt. The whole Bible comes across as a badly written comic book or movie script.

Just argue with your story book please.
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by SIRTee15: 4:21pm On Sep 02, 2023
Dantedasz:

Is human sacrifice condoned by your supreme deity in your religious book or not?
Abraham.
Jephthah
Jesus .

Start attending bible study classes and thank me later.
U are too weak for me to spend time on.
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Dantedasz(m): 4:32pm On Sep 02, 2023
SIRTee15:

Start attending bible study classes and thank me later.
U are too weak for me to spend time on.

Look son,I am only going to say this once so pay close attention.

WHERE YOUR BIBLE KNOWLEDGE ENDS IS WHERE MY OWN KNOWLEDGE OF THE BIBLE BEGINS.

Argue with your poorly written story book.

1 Like

Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Dtruthspeaker: 4:34pm On Sep 02, 2023
Dantedasz:

At the emboldened,
Is that how a moral God should act in your opinion?
A moral benevolent god?? If such an entity loves burnt human flesh so much why not sacrifice Jephthah himself instead of the innocent girl? Or better still give him a ram or goat🐐 to sacrifice??

You shall surely reap the evil you sow.

Every normal person has called it just that the witch who seeks the death of another person's child, her own child must die. And so shall it be unto you. You shall harvest the evil that you plant.
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Dantedasz(m): 4:39pm On Sep 02, 2023
Dtruthspeaker:

You shall surely reap the evil you sow.

Every normal person has called it just that the witch who seeks the death of another person's child, her own child must die. And so shall it be unto you. You shall harvest the evil that you plant.

I bet you see atheists, witches evil and curses in your sleep. You must live a sad,convoluted and tortured life.

Argue with your poorly written story book son.I am done with you.

1 Like

Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Dtruthspeaker: 4:52pm On Sep 02, 2023
Dantedasz:

At emboldened,
1. Your god being omniscient(if he really is omniscient) should have known he did not need to test Abraham.
2. Jephthah is now on his own no longer carrying out the sacrifice to please and worship his God?
3. Comparing a god son(Iesus Chrestus) to a movie character)di Caprio) is apt. The whole Bible comes across as a badly written comic book or movie script.

Just argue with your story book please.

Now you have moved post from japhtheh to ominscientness and other stupid issues running through your evil mind looking for endless argument in derailment of this thread.
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Dtruthspeaker: 4:58pm On Sep 02, 2023
Dantedasz:

I bet you see atheists, witches evil and curses in your sleep. You must live a sad,convoluted and tortured life.

Argue with your poorly written story book son.I am done with you.

See ad hominem fallacy because he can't answer.

All these because you can't eat or sleep, wailing upadan hyperventilating here because of the torments the bible gives him.
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by SIRTee15: 5:13pm On Sep 02, 2023
Dantedasz:

Look son,I am only going to say this once so pay close attention.

WHERE YOUR BIBLE KNOWLEDGE ENDS IS WHERE MY OWN KNOWLEDGE OF THE BIBLE BEGINS.

Argue with your poorly written story book.

So loud from someone that said the father sacrificed his begotten on the stake.

Well let me leave u with this...

Deuteronomy 18:10
There shall not be found among you anyone who burns his son or his daughter as an offering, anyone who practices divination or tells fortunes or interprets omens, or a sorcerer

Deuteronomy 12:31
You shall not worship the Lord your God in that way, for every abominable thing that the Lord hates they have done for their gods, for they even burn their sons and their daughters in the fire to their gods.
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by Dantedasz(m): 5:28pm On Sep 02, 2023
SIRTee15:

So loud from someone that said the father sacrificed his begotten on the stake.

Well let me leave u with this...

Deuteronomy 18:10
There shall not be found among you anyone who burns his son or his daughter as an offering, anyone who practices divination or tells fortunes or interprets omens, or a sorcerer

Deuteronomy 12:31
You shall not worship the Lord your God in that way, for every abominable thing that the Lord hates they have done for their gods, for they even burn their sons and their daughters in the fire to their gods.

Keep shooting yourself in the foot. I know your target is to derail this lovely thread because it exposes the double standard of your god Yahweh.

Did Yahweh sacrifice his son on a stake/tree or not?
Does Yahweh love the smell of burning flesh from sacrifice or not? Exodus 29: 25
Remember is in your poorly written book.
Argue with your book,son.
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by SIRTee15: 9:59pm On Sep 02, 2023
Now let's see if this pseudo biblical critics can apply sound reasoning and logic to the topic of discourse.

So when Jephthah daughter was told about the vow by her father, she asked for permission to go to the mountain and weep because she would never marry.

But grant me this one request,” she said. “Give me two months to roam the hills and weep with my friends, because I will never marry.”

According to TheMadame, the main worry of someone who's about to be killed is that she would never find husband to marry, she cried because she would never have sex.
Of all the things to cry about, it's her virginity that's her priority. She didn't cry about being killed at her prime, she didn't cry about her loved ones she would leave behind, her family, her friends, her life. Na marriage and sex be her problem.

Ok let's agree sex was her problem and really distraught about the fact she will never have a taste of that pleasure.

What about her friends? They too were upset that their friend would die without tasting the forbidden fruit?

She and her friends went into the hills and wept because she would never marry. Judges 11.38

So they followed a person about to die to the mountains to cry about her virginity?

According to TheMadame and Dantedasz, a teenage girl that's about to die will gather her friends around her to weep with her because she would never have sex.
Na so the thing dey shack them for ancient Israel.

Some people are very terrible human beings with lack of sound reasoning as a result of seared soul.
To them, a girl who's about to die would call her friends to join her to weep over her virginity.

All I see in TheMadame and Dantedasz is the influence of a sexually and morally bankrupt country like Nigeria on their thought process. They can't think straight anymore.
Sex is such a big deal to them that they think someone about to be killed would be weeping over it.
What a shame!!!
Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by MaxInDHouse(m): 3:49am On Sep 03, 2023
She is to remain a virgin throughout her life in service to the God of Israel.

That is what the story is all about! smiley

2 Likes

Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by TheMadame(f): 4:52am On Sep 03, 2023
BURNT OFFERING IS THE IMPORTANT POINT OF THE VOW.

Re: Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. by TheMadame(f): 4:55am On Sep 03, 2023
FOLLOWED BY

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Is Offering In The Church Compulsory? / Gambling Is Not A Sin / Man, Know Thyself

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.