Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,969 members, 7,817,842 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:02 PM

After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million (48940 Views)

Points To Consider Before And After Japa Expedition / Japa: How They Rob People During Day Time In South Africa / JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by yusfaith78(m): 11:25am On Sep 09, 2023
The way in people in Nigeria talk about japa by making it looks like everybody that left Nigeria moved just to go and make money. A lot of people like me moved just because we want peace of mind and also have a good environment where our children grow to be whatever they so wish to become. Before I left Nigeria, I was making good money and I was also travelling to Europe atleast once a year. So it was about money for me and so many others. I think we just got tired of the fact that nothing is working in Nigeria. The poor healthcare system, bad roads that turns journeys of 30mins to hours, the air and noise pollution, the education system, the reckless way of driving that usually results deaths of innocent citizens and the most annoying of all, the criminals that call themselves POLICE who are always out to extort hardworking citizens but fails to go after the real criminals (God knows they are Nigerians’ worst enemy even worst than politicians).

I was rich in Nigeria but don’t have peace of mind and stress wanted to kill me. But here I’m comfortable financially and I also have peace of peace of mind. I can walk at anytime of the day with thinking of been hit by a car that’s not roadworthy or Okada neither are there any police looking to harass or extort me.

We cannot all live in abroad neither can we all live in Nigeria. I just feel it wrong to always assume people are leaving Nigeria just because of money.

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Nobody: 11:25am On Sep 09, 2023
100million? Which kind of Playing is this. With the high cost of living and food products.

You didn't even say, 30/50M. Ahh
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by AllBlack: 11:26am On Sep 09, 2023
Kenn55:
After you make the first 100m what next? Make another 100m?

the pleasure, adventure and carefree side of life has been stolen from Nigerians. it is a cruel cycle of chasing money and more money and the thing is, many will live and die without ever knowing they have been robbed.

8 Likes

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Backpedal: 11:27am On Sep 09, 2023
Kenn55:
@Raydos, this is what I was trying to talk about in your thread. Every talk or argument about Nigerians is about money, more money, more more money and it ends with money.
Nobody seems to give a damn about any other thing apart from the money they make.
This thread will degenerate into an argument on who makes more money, the stage is set. This is all we care about as a people.

Lmaooo
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Backpedal: 11:28am On Sep 09, 2023
AllBlack:

the pleasure, adventure and carefree side of life has been stolen from Nigerians. it is a cruel cycle of chasing money and more money and the thing is, many will live and die without ever knowing they have been robbed.
Facts
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by buJu234: 11:30am On Sep 09, 2023
@Op,

I think you are still living in the age, where success is defined based on the higher dollar note you have in the bank instead of the quality of life?

Success in this 21st century is not the billions you have in your account but the quality of life that it can fetched you.

That's why the average European with minimum wage live longer, healthier and better than a millionaire in most African countries

13 Likes

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Procashtips(m): 11:30am On Sep 09, 2023
juliuscaesar:
I moved to America more than a decade ago, and I can tell you that it is almost impossible to make 100m naira at once abroad. At least l, not from just your salary alone.

When I got to America, I got into tech after working a few years as an office manager for a rehab Healthcare clinic. When I got into tech, my first salary was $125k with a sign on bonus of $20k.

I was not married then, so I was able to save more. A friend then advised me to trade stocks instead of letting my money sit in the bank and get only 1.5% interest in return for a year. I decided to trade stocks on the side while working full time. I got married and was making a decent amount on the side. One day, I fortunately caught on the GameStop boom a couple of years ago and made over $900k in one day as the stock skyrocket from just above $3 to $600 in 24hrs. The SEC had to put a hold on trading, but I had quickly sold.

I took that money and invested it in real estate.

Not many people are that fortunate. So, again , I say, if it is just salary, over time, you might be able to save up 100m naira, but you can NEVER do it at once.

You didnt make this money from your salary, rather from investment which anyone can do from anywhere.

And yes, the skill and industry you find yourself matters alot.

Thank you for your honest response.

1 Like

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Backpedal: 11:30am On Sep 09, 2023
ajimo54:

Do not be pained! You can afford a better life for yourself in Nigeria if u truly earn like the OP! What life is abroad? One of ur people living abroad duped me of $ 6,000 in 2018. You all talk of future? What is future without money? Europe looks so bleak! I actually don't see future there. Future is in Nigeria!

Future is in Nigeria with Bulaba leading it?

You are tripping

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Backpedal: 11:32am On Sep 09, 2023
BreconHills:

As some one who works from three countries - let me ask a question re bolded - for how long? Few people want to grow old abroad. I advise everyone working outside Nigeria to have a plan for their old age. Uk, US, Canada is not it and time moves very first.

Play the game from the end not from the beginning.
Well
I beg to disagree with your assertion Sha
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by StJasper(m): 11:34am On Sep 09, 2023
etrange:
I've lived in 4 countries, so let me offer my two cents.

First, if you're looking at it from a financial standpoint, those who live in Nigeria and work for organizations in Europe or the Americas are far more gainfully employed than those living in these places (even though those living abroad are more paid than thier offshore counterparts). Even if you spend mindlessly, you'd still likely be very rich cause of exchange rate. If you're single, you'd probably be spending between 5% to 10% of your salary (depending on your level) and the remaining part (which could be more than a million depending on your level) could go to savings and investment. Meanwhile, your counterparts in the Western world will be spending in the currency of the resident countries. Some of them might even be struggling to save after paying monthly house rent of about $2,300 in NY and bills like electricity, water, gas, internet, phone, cable etc. as well as other expenses like transportation, groceries, wears, haircut and entertainment. There's simply no comparison here.

That said, like someone has already mentioned, living abroad isn't all about money for some people. Other factors like amenities, safety, passport (freedom of movement), exposure to diversity and, most importantly, the future of your offspring all come into play. Now, to your question, it all depends on the individual's field, level, the country where they are and the exchange rare at the time. Some countries pay more than others. Some fields pay more than others and advanced/senior professionals earn more than mid level and entry level professionals. So it's not very practical to give a figure. Moreover, people aren't dumb enough to keep compounding money in the bank like that. That's a poor man's mindset. Buying assets that appreciate with time or investing in financial instruments that counters inflation is the only way to secure the value of your money. Finally, whether you move or not is up to you. You might save less (even though you get paid more when you're there), live in a much smaller apartment and deal with the cold weather and racism, but there are benefits like thes ones I mentioned above. It's an individual thing. So take a moment to understand your priorities. And if you're still not so sure, secure a visitors' visa and go see for yourself first (bearing in mind visiting/vacationing in a place is far more fun than actually living there).

Good luck!

Highly analytical and reasonable.

I have a question for you. Which countries pay more for middle class jobs?

1 Like

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Inspirer1: 11:35am On Sep 09, 2023
Zyxsc:
I'm a software engineer working remotely from Nigeria. I earn a 7-figure monthly salary.
With my salary only (at an average exchange rate of 850/$), it would take me about 6.6 years to save up 100 million, provided I have zero dependents and had to cater only for myself throughout those years. It's quite a naive way to project this though because a lot of things can happen along those years. But it still gives an idealistic comparison base.

So my question goes to Nigerians currently living or have lived abroad. Can you tell us the country, the job title, and how long it would take to save up to NGN100 milliion, assuming you have zero dependents and have to cater for only yourself. Do remember to factor in taxes if any and other living expenses for yourself alone

The reason for my question is not far-fetched. I'm just wondering if it's worth it to sell ones' properties worth milliions just to JAPA and go start over again. Please, refrain from dragging the country's situation into your answer or any other reason to JAPA. Kindly focus on answering the question as best as possible.

Thanks.

Average salary of software engineer in UK is £68,314 (google)
Tax 40% of 68,314 is 27,325.6
So, 68,314 - 27,325.6 = 40,988.4
Rent for a single person plus bills plus feeding ~ 1000/month
Therefore, for 12 months, it will be = 12,000

So, 40,988.4 - 12,000 = £28, 988.4

If £1 ~ #1,085

Then £28,988.4 ~ = #31,452,414

1 year savings = #31,452,414

So, to save #100,000 000, it will take you #100,000,000/#31,452,414
= 3.18 years
= 3 years 2 months approximately.

9 Likes

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Greenfusion: 11:38am On Sep 09, 2023
MuMuOnBail:
Na wa oooo

90% of Japarians can't even buy some Bungalows in my own street here in Abuja. I said it with my whole heart.

When I returned back to Naija from Sweden, I couldn't boast of what I am having now.

My wifey is in shock how I did it (Blow like Satan II). But her lucrative job can't let her leave the country. If not she for find her way too

JAPA is not meant for everyone, if you JAPA and it favor you, thank God. If you JAPA and it does not favor you, please keep shame aside and return back like me.

My wife was literally feeding me in Sweden. I felt so useless that when I look at my naked self on the mirror in the bathroom. I see myself having a P*ssy not a Dick.

Some JAPAnarians will not even see 10million in Naira till they die talkless of 100million

I appreciate you been factual, many of us think it's all rossy the moment you japa money starts rolling in...the good thing about it is the exchange rate.
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Edusouls(m): 11:38am On Sep 09, 2023
Kenn55:
@Raydos, this is what I was trying to talk about in your thread. Every talk or argument about Nigerians is about money, more money, more more money and it ends with money.
Nobody seems to give a damn about any other thing apart from the money they make.
This thread will degenerate into an argument on who makes more money, the stage is set. This is all we care about as a people.
and u think God is a fool for keeping the black man impoverished, because our hearts is all about wealth and materialism, the things God value in the heart of man, love, kindness, compassion, mercy, selflessness, is lacking inside our hearts

3 Likes

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by NoNaw: 11:48am On Sep 09, 2023
tensazangetsu20:
I think the better question will be to ask what the value of 100 million will be in six years time and what would happen if you lose your job while in Nigeria and how easy it would be to get another one. 1800 USD isnt a lot or a mind blowing salary

Youre quite dumb trying to sound so smart. He asked a simple question, its either you answer or scroll, you rather twist his question to your own views.

Secondly, you sounded so dammn jealous. 1800 usd is a good monthly salary that ur sister would suck a dick to earn if u have one. Thats about1.6 million

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by walesho(m): 11:48am On Sep 09, 2023
Kenn55:

Tell them, it’s all about good standard of living

1 Like

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by AskNgige2: 11:49am On Sep 09, 2023
etrange:
I've lived in 4 countries, so let me offer my two cents.

First, if you're looking at it from a financial standpoint, those who live in Nigeria and work for organizations in Europe or the Americas are far more gainfully employed than those living in these places (even though those living abroad are more paid than thier offshore counterparts). Even if you spend mindlessly, you'd still likely be very rich cause of exchange rate. If you're single, you'd probably be spending between 5% to 10% of your salary (depending on your level) and the remaining part (which could be more than a million depending on your level) could go to savings and investment. Meanwhile, your counterparts in the Western world will be spending in the currency of the resident countries. Some of them might even be struggling to save after paying monthly house rent of about $2,300 in NY and bills like electricity, water, gas, internet, phone, cable etc. as well as other expenses like transportation, groceries, wears, haircut and entertainment. There's simply no comparison here.

That said, like someone has already mentioned, living abroad isn't all about money for some people. Other factors like amenities, safety, passport (freedom of movement), exposure to diversity and, most importantly, the future of your offspring all come into play. Now, to your question, it all depends on the individual's field, level, the country where they are and the exchange rare at the time. Some countries pay more than others. Some fields pay more than others and advanced/senior professionals earn more than mid level and entry level professionals. So it's not very practical to give a figure. Moreover, people aren't dumb enough to keep compounding money in the bank like that. That's a poor man's mindset. Buying assets that appreciate with time or investing in financial instruments that counters inflation is the only way to secure the value of your money. Finally, whether you move or not is up to you. You might save less (even though you get paid more when you're there), live in a much smaller apartment and deal with the cold weather and racism, but there are benefits like thes ones I mentioned above. It's an individual thing. So take a moment to understand your priorities. And if you're still not so sure, secure a visitors' visa and go see for yourself first (bearing in mind visiting/vacationing in a place is far more fun than actually living there).

Good luck!

U have nailed it all
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by acorntree(m): 11:53am On Sep 09, 2023
Magabush1:
It means you earn 1.26m monthly. Bro, you are a big man

How sure are you that he is earning this. Anyone can be anything on social media. His life may even be worse than those beggars across your street.

3 Likes

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by tjones007: 11:57am On Sep 09, 2023
hmm

1 Like

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by AzendaDior: 11:57am On Sep 09, 2023
Back !
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by yoged(m): 11:58am On Sep 09, 2023
With the amount you Dey make. If den born your papa and mama well, try travel by road across Nigeria especially the Northern part and let’s see if you can come back safely. . You guys always think it’s about the money. SMH

5 Likes

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by StrikeBack(m): 11:58am On Sep 09, 2023
erico2k2:

If anyone abroad weather US,UK Canada German, any western top countries tell you guys back home that they are struggling or life is hard, just know that Life is only hard when it comes to you not to them DO NOT BE FOOLED. If they say they are broke, just know they are broke for you not for themselves.
I agree with this completely. Until you come here people will keep telling you they are struggling
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by acorntree(m): 11:59am On Sep 09, 2023
NoNaw:

Youre quite dumb trying to sound so smart. He asked a simple question, its either you answer or scroll, you rather twist his question to your own views.

Secondly, you sounded so dammn jealous. 1800 usd is a good monthly salary that ur sister would suck a dick to earn if u have one. Thats about1.6 million

If he earn such, he won't be on nairaland asking stupid question. Everything is not about money but sanity, which we lack here. I know your kind are always after money, money and money, and that's why your type can do anything to get money, ritual, yahoo, organ harvesting, fraud etc. Keep glorifying your useless way of life and let those who seek for sanity enjoy their life in any saner country whether they can accumulate ,1m or 100m

1 Like

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by phemmyfour: 12:05pm On Sep 09, 2023
Procashtips:

Thank you for the honest answer.

So if he also include shift, maybe it would take him less than 4yrs then.
Exactly, but then your tax goes higher. Its not worth the stress in the long run but if you're pursuing a target, you don't have a choice than to take those extra shift
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by NoNaw: 12:07pm On Sep 09, 2023
acorntree:

If he earn such, he won't be on nairaland asking stupid question. Everything is not about money but sanity, which we lack here. I know your kind are always after money, money and money, and that's why your type can do anything to get money, ritual, yahoo, organ harvesting, fraud etc. Keep glorifying your useless way of life and let those who seek for sanity enjoy their life in any saner country whether they can accumulate ,1m or 100m

The jealousy perfume youre wearing is so strong.

Okay no problem then. Ive heard you

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by acorntree(m): 12:10pm On Sep 09, 2023
MuMuOnBail:
Na wa oooo

90% of Japarians can't even buy some Bungalows in my own street here in Abuja. I said it with my whole heart.

When I returned back to Naija from Sweden, I couldn't boast of what I am having now.

My wifey is in shock how I did it (Blow like Satan II). But her lucrative job can't let her leave the country. If not she for find her way too

JAPA is not meant for everyone, if you JAPA and it favor you, thank God. If you JAPA and it does not favor you, please keep shame aside and return back like me.

My wife was literally feeding me in Sweden. I felt so useless that when I look at my naked self on the mirror in the bathroom. I see myself having a P*ssy not a Dick.

Some JAPAnarians will not even see 10million in Naira till they die talkless of 100million

If your wife is the one feeding you when you're there in Sweden, it means you're one of these completely useless and lazy man who decided not to work. You must have traveled out thinking you will continue with lazy lifestyle you developed in Nigeria, looking for short cut, engaging in yahoo etc . So in saner country you won't find it easy since youre not hard working type.

3 Likes

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Kingozymandias(m): 12:12pm On Sep 09, 2023
Zyxsc:
I'm a software engineer working remotely from Nigeria. I earn a 7-figure monthly salary.
With my salary only (at an average exchange rate of 850/$), it would take me about 6.6 years to save up 100 million, provided I have zero dependents and had to cater only for myself throughout those years. It's quite a naive way to project this though because a lot of things can happen along those years. But it still gives an idealistic comparison base.

So my question goes to Nigerians currently living or have lived abroad. Can you tell us the country, the job title, and how long it would take to save up to NGN100 milliion, assuming you have zero dependents and have to cater for only yourself. Do remember to factor in taxes if any and other living expenses for yourself alone

The reason for my question is not far-fetched. I'm just wondering if it's worth it to sell ones' properties worth milliions just to JAPA and go start over again. Please, refrain from dragging the country's situation into your answer or any other reason to JAPA. Kindly focus on answering the question as best as possible.

Thanks.

So naive 🤣
So only money is what those abroad benefit by relocation? 🤣
In Nigeria you may die by any means , even bad road can cause accident or kidnapper's get you or the police just take you somewhere and kill you to snatch your car.

See what off power supply expenses for generator ? Or feeding which is mad expensive in Nigeria . I could go on and on. But this shows you really dont understand what you are talking about . You think like a toddler 🤣🤣🤣🤣

4 Likes

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by assholemods: 12:16pm On Sep 09, 2023
nepapole:
This is a very silly thread though.
Honestly NL moderators are too incompetent.

1 Like

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by pacespot(m): 12:17pm On Sep 09, 2023
Zyxsc:

Thanks.

Thief, wombia, olojukokoro, greed, everything that is wrong with Nigerians is insinuated in this post.

You want to Japa out of poverty in Nigeria that you cannot even afford a quality 3 square meal per day, but you are not thinking of making the best out of it by giving yourself and unborn a better future, but you want to suddenly become N100 millions richer without having any special skills or talents that can fetch you that sum in a short while.

Maybe you can join the armed robbery squad then or yahoo. He didn't even start from 5 million to 10 million, this fool just jumped to 100 millions Naira

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Juanmike(m): 12:18pm On Sep 09, 2023
MuMuOnBail:
Na wa oooo

You still have pussy though
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by ConfidentialDoc: 12:19pm On Sep 09, 2023
Morbeta11:

Lol.....I recently made $150k from insurance cos of road accident....that's all I have to say. Location Niagara.

I know some ppl who plan these accidents like bank robbery. Just to cash out. Canada especially.

Do you know anyone like that ?
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by VULCAN(m): 12:20pm On Sep 09, 2023
I was rather disappointed reading your write up because it's one of the worst cases of projection I have read about in a while.

You are earning seven figures and have no dependants and you are comparing yourself to those earning seven or six figures but have 3 kids to cater for.

If you were paying out N2-3m every term for school fees and it's ancillaries, coupled with regular contributions to parents and relatives, I'm sure you wouldn't be asking us such a question.

The people that earn 7 figures in Nigeria and live in highbrow areas don't send their kids to cheap schools.

But it's your complete inability to see beyond your own nose that's saddening.

In UK, US and Canada, parents pay next to nothing for school fees unless they chose to- by sending their kids to certain types of schools.

Having a second passport from some selected countries is worth much more than staying here and earning N5m a month, especially when you have dependents.

It's an unquantifiable advantage.

That you boil down Japa to just a money led goal tells me you have a rather narrow view of life.

Zyxsc:

Thanks.

4 Likes

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by erico2k2(m): 12:23pm On Sep 09, 2023
TheFacelessMan:

Talk about yourself. Don't generalize onto others.

"fooling" doesn't apply to me. I don't beg like you. wink

Simply gave my experience of those doing really well in the US.
Are you sure you read what i wrote?it might be a good idea to re-read it, I'm sure your comments will defer?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Osogbo, Capital City Of Osun State In Pictures / Air Peace Plane Overshoots Runway In Port Harcourt / Body Parts Of A Dead Woman At Oshodi Railway (Graphic Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.