Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,764 members, 7,820,668 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:09 PM

Fetch Data From An API And Display In Flatlist In React Native - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Fetch Data From An API And Display In Flatlist In React Native (631 Views)

Fetch Data From An API In React Using Functional Components / React Native Show Message For Empty Flatlist / React Native Simple Flatlist Component Android Example (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fetch Data From An API And Display In Flatlist In React Native by kemi72: 4:19am On Sep 09, 2023
The FlatList component is an effective way to display items in a scrollable list view. We can fetch data from an API and display in FlatList in React Native. It is a useful alternative to ScrollViews, especially when dealing with large data sets.

Flat lists, has the following features:

Fully cross-platform.
Optional horizontal mode.
Configurable viewability callbacks.
Header support.
Footer support.
Separator support.
Pull to Refresh.
Scroll loading.
ScrollToIndex support.
Multiple column support.
In this article, we shall see how we can fetch data from an endpoint and display the data using FlatList in React Native.

So, I will assume that you already know how to create a new React Native application. If you’re just getting started, you can check out the article on creating a new React Native project here.

Here’s what a new React Native application should look like:

We are going to be fetching data from the Cat Facts API. So we will write our React Native code as follows:

fetchItem() {
requestAnimationFrame(() =>
fetch(`https://catfact.ninja/breeds`, {
method: 'GET',
})
.then(response => response.json())
.then(responseJson => {
console.warn(responseJson);
})
.catch(error => {
{
alert(error)
}
}),
);
}

componentDidMount(){
this.fetchItem()
}
Let’s explain what’s happening here.

Here, we’re calling the endpoint https://catfact.ninja/breeds and logging the response to at least confirm that we’re even getting a response. We’re then calling that method in our componentDidMount()

Here’s the response from the call
Read more https://codeflarelimited.com/blog/fetch-data-from-an-api-and-display-in-flatlist-in-react-native/

Re: Fetch Data From An API And Display In Flatlist In React Native by Frontend: 10:30am On Sep 23, 2023
Nice one but why are you using class component instead of functional component

1 Like

Re: Fetch Data From An API And Display In Flatlist In React Native by kemi72: 10:55pm On Sep 24, 2023
Frontend:
Nice one but why are you using class component instead of functional component
No particular reason. I Just I just like class components. You can still replace the class components with functional components. instead of componentDidMount(), You can use useEffect and useState, then change the class part to function, you're good to go.
Re: Fetch Data From An API And Display In Flatlist In React Native by stankelz: 10:48am On Oct 19, 2023
kemi72:
The FlatList component is an effective way to display items in a scrollable list view. We can fetch data from an API and display in FlatList in React Native. It is a useful alternative to ScrollViews, especially when dealing with large data sets.

Flat lists, has the following features:

Fully cross-platform.
Optional horizontal mode.
Configurable viewability callbacks.
Header support.
Footer support.
Separator support.
Pull to Refresh.
Scroll loading.
ScrollToIndex support.
Multiple column support.
In this article, we shall see how we can fetch data from an endpoint and display the data using FlatList in React Native.

So, I will assume that you already know how to create a new React Native application. If you’re just getting started, you can check out the article on creating a new React Native project here.

Here’s what a new React Native application should look like:

We are going to be fetching data from the Cat Facts API. So we will write our React Native code as follows:

fetchItem() {
requestAnimationFrame(() =>
fetch(`https://catfact.ninja/breeds`, {
method: 'GET',
})
.then(response => response.json())
.then(responseJson => {
console.warn(responseJson);
})
.catch(error => {
{
alert(error)
}
}),
);
}

componentDidMount(){
this.fetchItem()
}
Let’s explain what’s happening here.

Here, we’re calling the endpoint https://catfact.ninja/breeds and logging the response to at least confirm that we’re even getting a response. We’re then calling that method in our componentDidMount()

Here’s the response from the call
Read more https://codeflarelimited.com/blog/fetch-data-from-an-api-and-display-in-flatlist-in-react-native/
greetings bro, do you work with react-native ? I'm having having trouble setting up Android studio for simulation. I've been on this for more than 3 days now. Any tips that can help me ?
Re: Fetch Data From An API And Display In Flatlist In React Native by niel63(m): 7:46pm On Oct 19, 2023
stankelz:
greetings bro, do you work with react-native ? I'm having having trouble setting up Android studio for simulation. I've been on this for more than 3 days now. Any tips that can help me ?

Having trouble... what trouble exactly. Be descriptive and post your log if possible.
Re: Fetch Data From An API And Display In Flatlist In React Native by kemi72: 6:02pm On Nov 11, 2023
stankelz:
Hello bro. How is it going. Have you been able to resolve this.
Sorry I'm not always online
Re: Fetch Data From An API And Display In Flatlist In React Native by stankelz: 8:40am On Nov 20, 2023
kemi72:

Hello bro. How is it going. Have you been able to resolve this.
Sorry I'm not always online
hey bro sorry I've been working on a clients project so I've not been online as much myself. No, I haven't resolved this. To completely install Android studio is a problem, I gave up. I tried using Expo Go app to for development ,when I try to scan the QR code it crashes. Like this is really frustrating and hindering my learning process. I set a specific timeframe to learn React-native because I want to Learn and start creating AR experience for mobile

Please can you guide me on how to install Android Studio 🙏
Re: Fetch Data From An API And Display In Flatlist In React Native by kemi72: 4:00am On Dec 15, 2023
stankelz:
hey bro sorry I've been working on a clients project so I've not been online as much myself. No, I haven't resolved this. To completely install Android studio is a problem, I gave up. I tried using Expo Go app to for development ,when I try to scan the QR code it crashes. Like this is really frustrating and hindering my learning process. I set a specific timeframe to learn React-native because I want to Learn and start creating AR experience for mobile

Please can you guide me on how to install Android Studio 🙏
Yeah, I get. I'm not always online myself. If you can send your email so I can send instructions on how to set it up.
Re: Fetch Data From An API And Display In Flatlist In React Native by stankelz: 8:55pm On Dec 15, 2023
kemi72:

Yeah, I get. I'm not always online myself. If you can send your email so I can send instructions on how to set it up.
stannz88@gmail.com

(1) (Reply)

Has AI finally come for our jobs? / Why Did Paypal Wait To Enter Nigeria? / Create Window Phone Application Without Coding Skill

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.