Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,325 members, 7,860,784 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 04:19 PM

Landlord And Tenant Wahala!!! Advice Needed - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Landlord And Tenant Wahala!!! Advice Needed (235 Views)

Landlord And Tenant Relation On Recovery Of Premises / Landlord Festus Shares Bags Of Rice In Cambodia (Photos) / Benin Landlord Kills Huge Python At The Back Of His House (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Landlord And Tenant Wahala!!! Advice Needed by GhostRider1991: 12:52am On Sep 12, 2023
Good day NL, my landlord served me 7days quit notice today been 11/09/2023, i paid for one year, my rent started counting from Ist of May 2023, I have stayed for just four months.

The issue now is does my landlord have the right to serve me 7days quit notice since I paid for one year and there was no tenancy agreement between I and the landlord.

The lawyer said the reason for the quit notice was because I refused to come and sign the agreement form, which is not true, the day I made payment for the apartment, the lawyer said the agreement form was not readily available that I will be called to come for it once the agreement is ready.

After months of staying in the apartment the lawyer never reached out to me to come for the agreement not until recently when I had an altercation with the landlord because of a missing generator, then the lawyer reached out to me to come for the agreement but I didn't go because the altercation resulted to police case, at the police station I insisted that the landlord should refund me so I can leave but the landlord said there is no money to refund because I was not asked to leave or vacate the house. So the police Incharge asked I forget about the issue and continue staying peacefully in the house.

After two weeks of settling the whole issue, I got the 7days quit notice, so Please, lawyers in the house I need your advice, thank you.
Re: Landlord And Tenant Wahala!!! Advice Needed by SUPERPACK: 1:19am On Sep 12, 2023
I hope he refunded you for the unused rent. If yes, I will advise you start house hunting as your safety is at stake.
Re: Landlord And Tenant Wahala!!! Advice Needed by GhostRider1991: 1:23am On Sep 12, 2023
SUPERPACK:
I hope he refunded you for the unused rent. If yes, I will advise you start house hunting as your safety is at stake.

The landlord has not yet refunded me, I got the letter yesterday evening.
Re: Landlord And Tenant Wahala!!! Advice Needed by SUPERPACK: 1:49am On Sep 12, 2023
GhostRider1991:

The landlord has not yet refunded me, I got the letter yesterday evening.
Which kind wahala be dis. Try to see him and hear why, it looks strange
Re: Landlord And Tenant Wahala!!! Advice Needed by AllBlack: 4:13am On Sep 12, 2023
GhostRider1991:
the day I made payment for the apartment, the lawyer said the agreement form was not readily available that I will be called to come for it once the agreement is ready.

They are supposed to present the agreement letter to you before collecting a kobo from you. if the letter carries a date that comes after the date on your rent receipt, then the landlord and lawyer have no case.

7 days? They are just trying their luck with you. You better start documenting every verbal/written conversation with your landlord/lawyer to build your case. Carefuly record your calls with the lawyer. Do not make any threats or talk carelessly too.

You are not bound by any agreement & Your rent balance must be given to you if they want you to leave and the first quit notice should not be 7 days. no let them whyne you.
Re: Landlord And Tenant Wahala!!! Advice Needed by GhostRider1991: 5:46am On Sep 12, 2023
SUPERPACK:
Which kind wahala be dis. Try to see him and hear why, it looks strange
Alright, thank you
Re: Landlord And Tenant Wahala!!! Advice Needed by GhostRider1991: 5:57am On Sep 12, 2023
AllBlack:

They are supposed to present the agreement letter to you before collecting a kobo from you. if the letter carries a date that comes after the date on your rent receipt, then the landlord and lawyer have no case.

7 days? They are just trying their luck with you. You better start documenting every verbal/written conversation with your landlord/lawyer to build your case. Carefuly record your calls with the lawyer. Do not make any threats or talk carelessly too.

You are not bound by any agreement & Your rent balance must be given to you if they want you to leave and the first quit notice should not be 7 days. no let them whyne you.

I wasn't issued any receipt, the only thing available is the transfer receipt I did.
Re: Landlord And Tenant Wahala!!! Advice Needed by AllBlack: 6:34am On Sep 12, 2023
GhostRider1991:

I wasn't issued any receipt, the only thing available is the transfer receipt I did.
Ahhh! I suspect that this is what is giving him confidence. How you seff go pay rent (or pay for anything valuable) without receipt?
You better keep that transfer copy oh. I don comot hand.
Re: Landlord And Tenant Wahala!!! Advice Needed by GhostRider1991: 7:04am On Sep 12, 2023
AllBlack:

Ahhh! I suspect that this is what is giving him confidence. How you seff go pay rent (or pay for anything valuable) without receipt?
You better keep that transfer copy oh. I don comot hand.
Lol, thank you for your input.
Re: Landlord And Tenant Wahala!!! Advice Needed by Skillsnigeria: 9:12am On Sep 12, 2023
Don't mind your landlord, you can leave when your rent expired
Re: Landlord And Tenant Wahala!!! Advice Needed by lifenajeje(m): 9:26am On Sep 12, 2023
Do u have the reciept if yes no problem ..

Get ur camera ready ...

Cos if he makes the mistake of coming to throw ur load out with thugs just record him make sure u get his fave and that of his lawyer on camera ..

Most prefarably do a live video Incase things turn violent and they destroy ur phone ..

With the evidence go back to police station ..it's against the law to throw out a tenants property ..

U can also charge him to court

Ur sure plug for PEP PrEP HIV self testing kit

Call or chat
Re: Landlord And Tenant Wahala!!! Advice Needed by GhostRider1991: 9:22pm On Sep 12, 2023
lifenajeje:
Do u have the reciept if yes no problem ..

Get ur camera ready ...

Cos if he makes the mistake of coming to throw ur load out with thugs just record him make sure u get his fave and that of his lawyer on camera ..

Most prefarably do a live video Incase things turn violent and they destroy ur phone ..

With the evidence go back to police station ..it's against the law to throw out a tenants property ..

U can also charge him to court

Ur sure plug for PEP PrEP HIV self testing kit

Call or chat
I wasn't issued any receipt, I only have the receipt of transfer I did directly to the landlord.
Re: Landlord And Tenant Wahala!!! Advice Needed by lifenajeje(m): 9:45pm On Sep 12, 2023
GhostRider1991:

I wasn't issued any receipt, I only have the receipt of transfer I did directly to the landlord.

That is enough proof
Re: Landlord And Tenant Wahala!!! Advice Needed by hakeemhakeem(m): 11:20pm On Sep 12, 2023
Make sure you collect your money lock the room for some time while searching for another house and stay with away for some time,he will be the one begging you

(1) (Reply)

Does Anyone Know Why Gas Cylinders Comes With A Net? / Help!!! I'm To Stingy / Opay Is Temporarily Down

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.