Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,129 members, 7,849,539 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 11:38 PM

When The Epic Cartoon, Voltron Made Its Debut (Throwback) - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / When The Epic Cartoon, Voltron Made Its Debut (Throwback) (23245 Views)

‘Coming 2 America’: Davido Invited To View His Hollywood Debut Movie / Fate Of Alakada: Mercy Eke Makes Acting Debut With Broda Shaggi, Toyin Abraham / #bbnaija: The Epic Moment Cee-c Returned To The House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

When The Epic Cartoon, Voltron Made Its Debut (Throwback) by Racoon(m): 2:06pm On Sep 14, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HgWCp79nzI?feature=shared
39 years ago, September 10, 1984, Voltron: Defender of the Universe debuted on Television. This is where the journey began for a super force of Space Explorers. Whether it's Vehicle Force or Lion Force, it's all #Voltron - Happy 39th! #Happy39Voltron
https://fb.watch/n2KFKfMC-A/?mibextid=Nif5oz
https://fb.watch/n2KhG-DXSR/?mibextid=2Rb1fB

Television series
Voltron is an animated television series franchise that features a team of space explorers who pilot a giant super robot known as "Voltron". Produced by Peter Keefe (executive producer) and Ted Koplar through his production company World Events Productions, Voltron was an adaptation of several Japanese anime television series from Toei Animation.

The original television series aired in syndication from September 10, 1984, to November 18, 1985. The first season of Voltron, featuring the "Lion Force Voltron", was adapted from the series Beast King GoLion. The second season, featuring the "Vehicle Team Voltron", was adapted from the unrelated series Armored Fleet Dairugger XV.

Voltron: Defender of the Universe was the top-rated syndicated children's show for two years during its original run,[2] and it spawned three follow-up series, several comic books, and a line of toys

Lion Force Voltron ("Voltron of the Far Universe"; Voltron III)
The first series was primarily edited from Beast King GoLion (Hyakujū-ō Goraion), and it features a team of five young pilots commanding five robot lions which can be combined to form Voltron. In this undefined future era, the Voltron Force is in charge of protecting the planet Arus (ruled by Princess Allura) from the evil King Zarkon (from planet Doom), his son Lotor, and the witch Haggar, who creates huge "ro-beasts" to terrorize the Arusian people.

Despite being the first of the two robots to appear on American television, the "GoLion" version of Voltron was regarded as "Voltron III" within the storyline because, within the original planned three-Voltron continuity, Arus was the furthest setting from Earth's side of the universe ("Voltron I" being intended for the Near Universe, and "Voltron II" being intended for the Middle Universe).

Vehicle Team Voltron ("Voltron of the Near Universe"; Voltron I)
The second series was primarily edited from Armored Fleet Dairugger XV (Kikō Kantai Dairugger XV), with the storyline considerably changed. In this iteration of Voltron, the Galaxy Alliance's home planets are now overcrowded, and a fleet of explorers is sent to search for new planets to colonize.

Along the way, they attract the attention of the evil Drule Empire, long engaged in an ongoing war against the Alliance, and the Drule proceed to interfere with the mission of the explorers and the colonists. Since the Arusian Voltron is too far away to help these explorers, a totally new Voltron has to be constructed to battle the Drule threat.

This Voltron Force consists of fifteen members, divided into three teams of five, known respectively as the Land, Sea, and Air Teams.  Each team is specialized in gathering data or fighting in their area of expertise. Each team can combine their vehicles into a bigger machine. When necessary, all fifteen vehicles combine to form the mighty Voltron. However, the Vehicle Team Voltron only had enough stored energy to operate for five minutes at a time. In the toy line, this Voltron was referred to as Voltron I because it was set closest to Earth.

Gladiator Voltron ("Voltron of the Middle Universe"; Voltron II)
The proposed third season was to have been based on Lightspeed Electroid Albegas (Kōsoku Denjin Albegas). The series would have centered around three teenage geniuses who each created a humanoid robot that were then modified for battle to combat an alien threat.

Unlike the Lion Force Voltron or the Vehicle Force Voltron, both of whom were composed of machines that combined to form them, Gladiator Voltron's three components actually disassembled and reassembled into one large robot. This allowed for multiple different combinations with different functions and skills depending on the situation.

There were also three jets that the team members would fly into hatches on the backs of their robots to pilot them that could also combine into one large jet, which were later replaced with other jets that could transform into smaller bipedal robots and could also combine to form a larger robot.

Although Matchbox did produce and market toy versions of the three robots (Black Alpha, Blue Beta, Red Gamma) under the "Voltron II" name, the series never actually aired. Due to the extreme popularity of the Lion Force Voltron and the lack of popularity of the Vehicle Team Voltron series, World Events Productions eventually elected against another alternate Voltron, and plans to adapt Albegas were aborted.

Voltron: Fleet of Doom (1986)
In 1986, World Events hired Toei Animation to produce the one-off crossover television special Voltron: Fleet of Doom, which mixed in GoLion and Dairugger XV footage with new animation. The special was made for the international market and, as of the middle of September 2016, it had not been released in Japan.

Voltron: The Third Dimension (1998–2000)
The computer-generated series Voltron: The Third Dimension was released in 1998, set five years after the end of the original Lion Voltron series. The series was met with a mixed response, due to various changes, such as the revamped looks of the Lion Voltron, King Zarkon, and Prince Lotor.

The series served as a sequel to the Lion Force Voltron series; among the tools used to bridge the gap between the two series was an official starmap as designed by Shannon Muir and finalized in partnership with World Events Productions. After Voltron: The Third Dimension, World Events Productions went back to the drawing board to develop a more traditionally animated series in an attempt to recapture the spirit of the original.

Voltron Force (2011–2012)
The animated series Voltron Force premiered on Nicktoons in June 2011. The series follows the exploits of a group of three young cadets brought together by the original members of the Voltron Force to defend the galaxy against a resurrected Lotor, now ruling the planet Drule after a military coup d'état. Voltron Force is a World Events Production in conjunction with Kick Start Productions and Classic Media.

Voltron: Legendary Defender (2016–2018)
The Netflix exclusive series Voltron: Legendary Defender, produced by DreamWorks Animation, is a reboot of the Voltron story. The series premiered on June 10, 2016, with Joaquim Dos Santos and Lauren Montgomery serving as showrunners. On January 5, 2016, Netflix announced that Voltron would debut in 2016 as an original animated Netflix series in partnership with DreamWorks Animation (DWA), part of an expanded multi-year agreement between the two groups.

In February, teasers revealed the title of the new series to be Voltron: Legendary Defender.On March 25, 2016, a teaser trailer was released, announcing that the first season, consisting of 13 episodes, would premiere June 10, 2016. A second season premiered on Netflix on January 20, 2017.

The third season premiered on Netflix on August 4, 2017, and consisted of 7 episodes while the fourth season premiered on October 13, 2017, and consisted of 6 episodes. The fifth season premiered on March 2, 2018, and consists of six episodes.The sixth season premiered on June 15, 2018, and consists of seven episodes. The seventh season premiered August 10, 2018 and consists of 13 episodes. The eighth and final season premiered on December 14, 2018, and consists of 13 episodes. The series' success has spawned several comics, action figures, and other toys.

Continued @
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltron

25 Likes 6 Shares

Re: When The Epic Cartoon, Voltron Made Its Debut (Throwback) by Racoon(m): 2:06pm On Sep 14, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn79FMqPkig?feature=shared

Like and share if this cartoon really made your day as a kid till date. Indomie generation watch us do our things o.

195 Likes 37 Shares

Re: When The Epic Cartoon, Voltron Made Its Debut (Throwback) by Racoon(m): 2:06pm On Sep 14, 2023

Shares: Transformers.

188 Likes 18 Shares

Re: When The Epic Cartoon, Voltron Made Its Debut (Throwback) by Racoon(m): 7:28pm On Sep 15, 2023
The original television series aired in syndication from September 10, 1984, to November 18, 1985. The first season of Voltron, featuring the "Lion Force Voltron", was adapted from the series Beast King GoLion. The second season, featuring the "Vehicle Team Voltron", was adapted from the unrelated series Armored Fleet Dairugger XV.

cc: Briareos UiSizzle

6 Likes

Re: When The Epic Cartoon, Voltron Made Its Debut (Throwback) by Racoon(m): 10:13am On Oct 14, 2023
Another fascinating cartoon has gone into extinction. Bring back our Voltron

26 Likes

Re: When The Epic Cartoon, Voltron Made Its Debut (Throwback) by Iamgrey5(m): 11:18am On May 15
Old men plenty for Nairaland oh

I first stumbled upon the cartoon in the early 2000s.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: When The Epic Cartoon, Voltron Made Its Debut (Throwback) by Ballzproblem2: 11:19am On May 15
can't relate

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: When The Epic Cartoon, Voltron Made Its Debut (Throwback) by SlavaUkraini: 11:19am On May 15
So many cartoon fans on Nairaland...

Most of them even watch the latest cartoon characters with their kids

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: When The Epic Cartoon, Voltron Made Its Debut (Throwback) by Kobicove(m): 11:19am On May 15
Voltron - Defender of the universe.

See my profile for a full length pic of Voltron grin

12 Likes 6 Shares

Re: When The Epic Cartoon, Voltron Made Its Debut (Throwback) by Emma09(m): 11:19am On May 15
No episode of Voltron I didn't watch. Good old days!

18 Likes

Re: When The Epic Cartoon, Voltron Made Its Debut (Throwback) by kerry57: 11:20am On May 15
Hmmm, what a cartoon. Those days when Naija was Naija.

Voltron, superted, DRWHO, PSI love you, the rich also cry, secret of the sand were some of the tv episodes at that time.

I really missed the safety in this county then

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: When The Epic Cartoon, Voltron Made Its Debut (Throwback) by Kobicove(m): 11:21am On May 15
This cartoon was a smash hit in the 80s.

There's even a Voltron fan page on Facebook which I'm a member of grin

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: When The Epic Cartoon, Voltron Made Its Debut (Throwback) by Damilola97(m): 11:21am On May 15
Peter Cullen the voice actor of Optimus Prime in Transformers voiced the intro of Voltron

6 Likes

Re: When The Epic Cartoon, Voltron Made Its Debut (Throwback) by Kasalagoburst: 11:22am On May 15
Racoon:

I hasn’t gone into extinction. There have been several remakes over the years including a series of it on Netflix.

1 Like

Re: When The Epic Cartoon, Voltron Made Its Debut (Throwback) by spartachico(m): 11:23am On May 15
You could have wait till tomorrow to resurrect this post be cause Sept 14th 2023 was on Thursday and that was the date this post was made
Re: When The Epic Cartoon, Voltron Made Its Debut (Throwback) by ositadima1(m): 11:23am On May 15
What about Voltes 5?

1 Like

Re: When The Epic Cartoon, Voltron Made Its Debut (Throwback) by StagethemTVee: 11:23am On May 15
Prince Lotor…my guy.
His crush on the princess no be here.

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: When The Epic Cartoon, Voltron Made Its Debut (Throwback) by kroger: 11:23am On May 15
My Favorite cartoon back in the days.. I shed tears watching the intro now. How I became an adult in a twinkle of an eye is still a mystery to me embarassed

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: When The Epic Cartoon, Voltron Made Its Debut (Throwback) by grandstar(m): 11:23am On May 15
Voltron did not debut on Nigerian TV in 1984. I was in form 1 then

It came out around my form 3 in 1986 .r 87. My fellow boarders couldn't stop talking about it when they came back from holiday.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: When The Epic Cartoon, Voltron Made Its Debut (Throwback) by keymatt(m): 11:23am On May 15
Good old days when APC did not exist. grin grin grin

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: When The Epic Cartoon, Voltron Made Its Debut (Throwback) by Kobicove(m): 11:24am On May 15
StagethemTVee:
Prince Loton…my guy

Prince Lothar, so na the bad guy you been dey support? grin

14 Likes

Re: When The Epic Cartoon, Voltron Made Its Debut (Throwback) by Nahunger(m): 11:24am On May 15

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: When The Epic Cartoon, Voltron Made Its Debut (Throwback) by IamTo3i(m): 11:24am On May 15
Racoon:
It didn't go into extinction, it actually came back again in 2016 as Voltron legendary defender and it was glorious it really reminded of how i felt as a child watching the original Voltron force...

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: When The Epic Cartoon, Voltron Made Its Debut (Throwback) by PerfectJUSTICE: 11:24am On May 15
Good old days

6 Likes

Re: When The Epic Cartoon, Voltron Made Its Debut (Throwback) by TTPAAR(m): 11:25am On May 15
Myself and my brother will sit in front of our old TV waiting for 4:00pm when NTA will start. First multiple colors will display on the TV. We always get excited when we saw that, then comes the national anthem and then a break down of all that will happen for the day.

Good old days!

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: When The Epic Cartoon, Voltron Made Its Debut (Throwback) by BluntCrazeMan: 11:26am On May 15
Hahahaahahaa
Re: When The Epic Cartoon, Voltron Made Its Debut (Throwback) by blowjohn(m): 11:26am On May 15
NTA ibadan was the bomb.

Frm these kind of cartoons to Mexican soap operas.

No one but you
The rich also cry
Marian los Angeles
Santa Barbara
Egoli place of gold

Etc

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: When The Epic Cartoon, Voltron Made Its Debut (Throwback) by zombieHUNTER: 11:27am On May 15
I loved this
NTA Enugu
ETV channel 5.0

couldn't wait for those opening curtains cheesy

memories cheesy

8 Likes

Re: When The Epic Cartoon, Voltron Made Its Debut (Throwback) by Beremx(f): 11:28am On May 15
One of my best cartoons grin

Voltron
Super Ted
Fraggle Rock
Jimbo
Terrahawk
Scooby Doo
Pinky and the Brain
Ovide

So many I can't remember

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: When The Epic Cartoon, Voltron Made Its Debut (Throwback) by Afonja007: 11:29am On May 15
This Voltron cartoon series was written by tinubu when he was in Chicago university

8 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Curtailing The Excess Of Prank Videos / LionHeart: Ugezu J Ugezi Reacts To Reviews Of Genevieve Nnaji‘s Movie / Bbnaija 2019:- Spoiler Alerts Ahead Of Bbnaija 4 Kick Off

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.