Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,746 members, 7,817,059 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:04 AM

Court Sends 15 Internet Fraudsters To Prison In Benin - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Court Sends 15 Internet Fraudsters To Prison In Benin (12886 Views)

Abuja Court Sends 15 Internet Fraudsters To Jail / Protest In Osogbo As SARS Officers Chase 3 Suspected Fraudsters To Death (pix) / New Trick Used By Kidnappers And Fraudsters To Implicate Unsuspecting People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Sends 15 Internet Fraudsters To Prison In Benin by GuruboiNaija: 6:23pm On Sep 15, 2023
Fifteen internet fraudsters have been jailed by an Edo State High Court sitting in Benin City.

The court, presided by Justice M. Itsueli, sentenced the fraudsters after convicting them of offences bordering on internet fraud and obtaining under false pretences.

The convicts are Seth Chukwumah, Hart James Okoh, Berta Aghogho Akpoveta, Obinna Okoh Patrick, Ugwoke Chinecherem Johnson and Akpovona –Momoh Malcolm Oghenekome.

Others include Frank Efe Okeoghene, Okpidi Oghenerukevwe, Prince Tamunotonye Obinna, Jeffrey Nwose, Louis Victory Emuerhime, Isoso Precious, Tsebi Princewill, Dafinone Osuma and Oyinkepreye Anderson.

The convicts were arraigned on separate one-count charges of fraudulent representation and unlawful possession of fraudulent documents by the Benin Zonal Command of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, .ng reports.

Chukwumah, Okoh, Patrick and Akpoveta were arraigned on September 12 while others were arraigned on September 11 and 13, 2023.

One of the charges reads: “tmRhat you, Tsebi Princewill sometimes between 2022 to 2023 in Benin City, Edo State within the jurisdiction of this Honourable Court did with intent to defraud represent yourself to be Tony Richards, a white man and thereby committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 484 of the Criminal Code Law Cap 48, Laws of Bendel State (as applicable in Edo State) 1976.”

Upon arraignment, all the defendants pleaded guilty to their respective charges, prompting prosecution counsel – F.A.Jirbo, I.M. Elodi, Ibrahim Faisal, Salihu Ahmed and T.Y Bello – to ask the court to convict and sentence them accordingly.

However, counsel to the defendants pleaded with the court to temper justice with mercy.

Justice Itsueli convicted and sentenced Johnson and Obinna to six months imprisonment or a fine of N500,000, each.

Chukwumah bagged two years imprisonment with an option of a fine of N500,000.

Osuma and Anderson were convicted and sentenced to two years imprisonment each or a fine of N300,000.

Okoh, Akpoveta, Patrick, Oghenekome, Oghenerukevwe, Emuerhime, Precious, Nwose, and Princewill were each sentenced to three years imprisonment or a fine of N500, 000.

Okeoghene bagged three years imprisonment or a fine of N1 million.

The judge ordered the convicts to forfeit one blue Lexus RX 350; one Mercedes Benz GLK 430, 2017 model; one Red Mercedes Benz GLK 2014 model; one black Lexus NX 300, 2020 model; one Silver Lexus RX 350 2011 model, as well as mobile phones and laptops, being proceeds of crime, to the Federal Government through the EFCC.

In addition, the judge ruled that the convicts’ bank accounts domiciled in Keystone Bank, UBA, GT Bank, Zenith Bank, Unity Bank, Opay Digital Services Limited, Fair Money Microfinance Bank and Rolez Microfinance Bank used in receiving proceeds of crime, be permanently frozen and monies found therein forfeited to the Federal Government.
https://.ng/2023/09/15/court-sends-15-internet-fraudsters-to-prison-in-benin/

1 Like

Re: Court Sends 15 Internet Fraudsters To Prison In Benin by Acekidc4(m): 6:24pm On Sep 15, 2023
If you can do the Crime, then you can also do the Time!!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Sends 15 Internet Fraudsters To Prison In Benin by 96ACE: 8:35pm On Sep 15, 2023
Money answereth all, pay your fines and move on grin

The artifact is an original Nok terracotta that’s over a thousand years old

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Sends 15 Internet Fraudsters To Prison In Benin by inoki247: 8:36pm On Sep 15, 2023
Another batch....
Re: Court Sends 15 Internet Fraudsters To Prison In Benin by ponlear(m): 8:36pm On Sep 15, 2023
How about politicians who have been found guilty of looting? Court will keep adjourning the case till forever. I know long before now that the Nigerian law is not for the powerful.

Note: I DO NOT SUPPORT INTERNET FRAUD

Work legit, stay crime free and live jiggy

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Sends 15 Internet Fraudsters To Prison In Benin by Chinjo2: 8:36pm On Sep 15, 2023
I commend the EFCC for securing this prosecutions. They should also use same energy to go after the real Yahoo men that have brought the economy of this country to it's knees.

10 Likes

Re: Court Sends 15 Internet Fraudsters To Prison In Benin by 22o62021: 8:37pm On Sep 15, 2023
Hahhahaha

This thing dey sweet oo
Re: Court Sends 15 Internet Fraudsters To Prison In Benin by emee701(m): 8:37pm On Sep 15, 2023
Efcc on para mode
Re: Court Sends 15 Internet Fraudsters To Prison In Benin by MSesan: 8:37pm On Sep 15, 2023
Stop doing yahoo they won't listen, karma has caught up to you..... sad sad
Re: Court Sends 15 Internet Fraudsters To Prison In Benin by abdeefggh: 8:38pm On Sep 15, 2023
grin
Re: Court Sends 15 Internet Fraudsters To Prison In Benin by Igboslayer: 8:39pm On Sep 15, 2023
Edo and Igbo on the MIC this time around… The most criminally people in Nigeria.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Sends 15 Internet Fraudsters To Prison In Benin by Evestar200(f): 8:39pm On Sep 15, 2023
Most of their parents buy laptops for them to commit fraud and they are proud of it

1 Like

Re: Court Sends 15 Internet Fraudsters To Prison In Benin by Iliveforever(m): 8:41pm On Sep 15, 2023
Nice one.

Would’ve been sweet if past politicians are the victims of these fraudsters

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Sends 15 Internet Fraudsters To Prison In Benin by obinna58(m): 8:41pm On Sep 15, 2023
grin
They’ll pay the fine and continue from where they stopped
Re: Court Sends 15 Internet Fraudsters To Prison In Benin by John4B: 8:42pm On Sep 15, 2023
ponlear:
How about politicians who have been found guilty of looting? Court will keep adjourning the case till forever. I know long before now that the Nigerian law is not for the powerful.

Note: I DO NOT SUPPORT INTERNET FRAUD

Work legit, stay crime free and live jiggy

Don't just mind them. Even though I don't support Internet fraud.
Re: Court Sends 15 Internet Fraudsters To Prison In Benin by oluseyiforjesus(m): 8:51pm On Sep 15, 2023
Ah
Re: Court Sends 15 Internet Fraudsters To Prison In Benin by vivalavida(m): 8:53pm On Sep 15, 2023
Just send them to prison. That option of fine is not needed.
Re: Court Sends 15 Internet Fraudsters To Prison In Benin by Exceed15: 9:00pm On Sep 15, 2023
With option of fine?
Re: Court Sends 15 Internet Fraudsters To Prison In Benin by Emma1Oj(m): 9:02pm On Sep 15, 2023
I really don't understand the system of judgment in Nigeria innocent citizens that are busy Hussling to survive this hardship politician throw at the masses are been sentence to jail. Why the real 419, yahoo and the criminals politicians are walking free the street.

When are going to get things right?

1 Like

Re: Court Sends 15 Internet Fraudsters To Prison In Benin by Bigseven(m): 9:08pm On Sep 15, 2023
We are loosing men to crime and prisons lately. We the remaining should try and date more ladies so that hook up will not take them far. Better still, ladies you can share your man with your friends to help them this economy downturn. 😂 meanwhile this’s coming from a friend not me. Those who are for his opinion like, those who are against share. Let’s go. I’ll start by sharing

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Sends 15 Internet Fraudsters To Prison In Benin by obembet(f): 9:10pm On Sep 15, 2023
Criminals
Re: Court Sends 15 Internet Fraudsters To Prison In Benin by Tunagy: 9:18pm On Sep 15, 2023
i don't have problem with gboys, but they shouldn't be oppressing other people. At times e con be like say person life no get meaning
Re: Court Sends 15 Internet Fraudsters To Prison In Benin by oluwaseyi0: 9:26pm On Sep 15, 2023
Actually Nigeria encourage cyber and political crime

What's fine of 300k or 500k to a Yahoo boy it's more of an encouragement than a deterrent

Most of them won't spend a day in prison

Even the jail time is nothing to write home about

3 Likes

Re: Court Sends 15 Internet Fraudsters To Prison In Benin by Starships4u(m): 9:32pm On Sep 15, 2023
Na only 15 dey Edo?
Ahbi na the small boys wey nor get money settle them?
Re: Court Sends 15 Internet Fraudsters To Prison In Benin by izicooo(f): 9:34pm On Sep 15, 2023
A very useless country, yahoo boys don suffer pick money from whitey, govt go come collect the money from yahoo boys, govt is the main yahoo

1 Like

Re: Court Sends 15 Internet Fraudsters To Prison In Benin by jimmyvic(m): 9:35pm On Sep 15, 2023
I say make I come check whether the yahoo boy wey snatch my ex follow grin
Re: Court Sends 15 Internet Fraudsters To Prison In Benin by slimhomiequan(m): 9:35pm On Sep 15, 2023
Abobi, wetin dey sup!

Make una use that pressure go arrest all those politicians wey dey loot this nation

Make una free Elon Musk boys
Re: Court Sends 15 Internet Fraudsters To Prison In Benin by Kelvin30286063(m): 9:37pm On Sep 15, 2023
Their crypto wallets nko? If they didn't check those ones, then they have done nothing handful to them with those forfeitures. If you know then you know.

2 Likes

Re: Court Sends 15 Internet Fraudsters To Prison In Benin by FitCorper: 9:54pm On Sep 15, 2023
Street is rough. But Benin boys them too do. I am not in a position to condemn yahoo, cos I’ve once been a beneficiary to this ugly game. Sad. But truth is whenever I think of the harm I caused innocent people I just most times make donations to old people’s home and orphanages and I keep praying everyday that God in His infinite mercy forgives me. Man condition make crayfish bend. But yahoo from my own personal experience is very very very bad. Youths should engage themselves in something meaningful and learn the virtues of patience. With time God will bless the works of your hand and everything will fall in place for you.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Police Accused Of Demanding ₦250k Bribe From Kidnapped Victims’ Family In Abuja / Suspicious Deaths At A Chinese Company In Lagos / Two Nigerian Women Battle In Ireland Court Over Threat To Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.