Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,095 members, 7,811,070 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:26 PM

Flood Sweeps Away Motorcyclist, Displaces Hundreds Of Residents In Lagos - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Flood Sweeps Away Motorcyclist, Displaces Hundreds Of Residents In Lagos (20330 Views)

Gully Erosion Destroys Over 30 Buildings,Displaces Over 50,000 People In Anambra / Flood Sweeps Man Away In Trademore Estate, Abuja / Heavy Flood Sweeps Away 12-Year-old Girl In Delta (Viewers Discretion) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Flood Sweeps Away Motorcyclist, Displaces Hundreds Of Residents In Lagos by TajuDEENaMao: 8:31am On Sep 17, 2023
Several communities in Lagos State have been ravaged by floods, which resulted from heavy downpours that swept away a commercial motorcyclist, more commonly called Okada rider and displaced hundreds of residents.

SaharaReporters gathered that the motorcycle rider simply identified as Mr Abe, was swept away on Saturday after he reportedly failed to listen warnings from his colleagues not to ride along the Ile Epo Bus stop canals in the Alimosho Local Government Area of the state.

It was gathered that the heavy rainfall which started at about 2am on Saturday continued till about 2pm, leading to torrential flood that wreaked havoc in several communities in the state including Papa Ashafa and Fashola communities in the Orile-Agege Local Government Area in Alimosho.

The flood has submerged several houses, offices, business premises and roads.

It was also gathered that residents of Ago-Palace in the Isolo area of the state which has become a regular flood prone area, were battling flood waters in their homes after the Saturday downpour.

Sources from the affected areas said that the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) along with the Disaster Management Unit of the Nigeria Police, team of the Nigeria Police Force from the Dopemu Divisional Police Station, Lagos State Neighbourhood Security Corp in conjunction with the Community Development Associations of Papa Ashafa, Fashola and others have distributed emergency relief aid to the flood impacted communities.

Also reacting to the incident, the South West Zonal Coordinator of NEMA, Mr Ibrahim Farinloye, appealed to Lagos residents to take utmost precautions.

Farinloye said, “The National Emergency Management Agency, NEMA, and other emergency agencies are on assessment exercise at some flashpoints, discussing with affected populations and proffering immediate solutions in handling the situations.

“Officials of NEMA along with the Disaster Management Unit of the Nigeria Police, Lagos State Neighbourhood Security Corps in conjunction with the Community Development Associations of Papa Ashafa, Fashola and others have distributed emergency relief aid to the flood-impacted communities.

“Some vulnerable groups have been moved to temporary safe facilities, while the adults are salvaging their water-impacted properties.

“NEMA is assisting the owner of a building where the fence collapsed. There is the need to salvage the building by reconstructing the fence to solidify the base to prevent it from collapsing on the next bungalow.

“In addition, we are sending children's clothes, women's clothes, mattresses, antiseptic and other immediate assistance to the impacted population at Orile Agege Local Government Area to provide immediate succour to about 200 people this afternoon.”

Similarly, the Director General of NEMA, Alhaji Mustapha Ahmed, has ordered the immediate release of relief materials to the people who have taken refuge in four churches in the areas.

https://saharareporters.com/2023/09/16/flood-sweeps-away-motorcyclist-displaces-hundreds-residents-lagos?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Flood Sweeps Away Motorcyclist, Displaces Hundreds Of Residents In Lagos by Typicool8(m): 8:43am On Sep 17, 2023
Wahala

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Flood Sweeps Away Motorcyclist, Displaces Hundreds Of Residents In Lagos by lazkizz(m): 8:49am On Sep 17, 2023
why can't the relevant authorities makes plans and arrangement to curtail this natural disaster , since it a yearly occurance

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Flood Sweeps Away Motorcyclist, Displaces Hundreds Of Residents In Lagos by EmekaA125(m): 9:13am On Sep 17, 2023
Same Lagos that Tinupoo built. More of this to come until una get sense.

60 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Flood Sweeps Away Motorcyclist, Displaces Hundreds Of Residents In Lagos by EmekaA125(m): 9:14am On Sep 17, 2023
Wetin I go talk now grin grin

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Flood Sweeps Away Motorcyclist, Displaces Hundreds Of Residents In Lagos by dondodo: 9:33am On Sep 17, 2023
Obi is coming to reclaim our mandate

5 Likes

Re: Flood Sweeps Away Motorcyclist, Displaces Hundreds Of Residents In Lagos by iamtardey: 9:34am On Sep 17, 2023
Too much rain for the last two days man

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Flood Sweeps Away Motorcyclist, Displaces Hundreds Of Residents In Lagos by MatrixReloaded: 9:34am On Sep 17, 2023
Everywhere is flood... I wonder what will happen when the Atlantic ocean grows to feed on inhabitants of lagosians. Do they think the stone age that was dropped along ozumba madiwe abi alpha beach and bar beach axis will prevent it. I still look at lebanese pearls garden in the heart of sea with loquacious side eye.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flood Sweeps Away Motorcyclist, Displaces Hundreds Of Residents In Lagos by EngrchidiG25(m): 9:34am On Sep 17, 2023
Who build lagos abeg

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Flood Sweeps Away Motorcyclist, Displaces Hundreds Of Residents In Lagos by Henry22(m): 9:35am On Sep 17, 2023
Tinubu Lagos

15 Likes

Re: Flood Sweeps Away Motorcyclist, Displaces Hundreds Of Residents In Lagos by Henry22(m): 9:35am On Sep 17, 2023
EngrchidiG25:
Who build lagos abeg

Them say na Obama o grin

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Flood Sweeps Away Motorcyclist, Displaces Hundreds Of Residents In Lagos by Chibuzoripob: 9:35am On Sep 17, 2023
sad

3 Likes

EmekaA125:
Wetin I go talk now grin grin

Just laugh 😂

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flood Sweeps Away Motorcyclist, Displaces Hundreds Of Residents In Lagos by iamtardey: 9:35am On Sep 17, 2023
EmekaA125:
they should go back to dia village

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flood Sweeps Away Motorcyclist, Displaces Hundreds Of Residents In Lagos by TriCee: 9:36am On Sep 17, 2023
Ago palace sha, flood prone area. Epileptic power supply. But a very high rent!!!

I still don't understand why that area is so expensive to reside in.

10 Likes

Re: Flood Sweeps Away Motorcyclist, Displaces Hundreds Of Residents In Lagos by azeezboi(m): 9:36am On Sep 17, 2023
EmekaA125:

Emeka the son of hatred must wail

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Flood Sweeps Away Motorcyclist, Displaces Hundreds Of Residents In Lagos by CJStarz: 9:37am On Sep 17, 2023
The motorcyclist lost his life due to stubbornness. Some deaths are quite avoidable.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flood Sweeps Away Motorcyclist, Displaces Hundreds Of Residents In Lagos by Kemadealadire(f): 9:37am On Sep 17, 2023
Stop dropping your waste without disposing it properly. A lot of Nigerians are fond of this, I correct when I can.

You are in a bus or on the street, someone eats packaged food, snacks, soda, water etc. and drops the wrapper on the floor, the rain comes and sweeps it inside the gutter, then the drainage is blocked and water can't flow easily with exceptions to areas that are naturally waterlogged and those without proper drainages. Where will the water go

The average Nigerian is the problem

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Flood Sweeps Away Motorcyclist, Displaces Hundreds Of Residents In Lagos by iamtardey: 9:37am On Sep 17, 2023
Henry22:

Just laugh 😂
I’m laughing 😂😂 someone bout to spill some more shit

5 Likes

Re: Flood Sweeps Away Motorcyclist, Displaces Hundreds Of Residents In Lagos by Daniel058(m): 9:38am On Sep 17, 2023
Lagos
Re: Flood Sweeps Away Motorcyclist, Displaces Hundreds Of Residents In Lagos by othermen: 9:38am On Sep 17, 2023
Terrible indeed. May Libya not happen. If it rains heavily, ten days non-stop, do we have any infrastructure for such emergencies? I hope government is proactive.

3 Likes

Re: Flood Sweeps Away Motorcyclist, Displaces Hundreds Of Residents In Lagos by iamtardey: 9:38am On Sep 17, 2023
Kemadealadire:
Stop dropping your waste without disposing it properly.
the matter go far mama
Re: Flood Sweeps Away Motorcyclist, Displaces Hundreds Of Residents In Lagos by AntiChristian: 9:38am On Sep 17, 2023
The indiscriminate waste disposal by Lagosians is the main cause of the mess Lagos found itself in.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flood Sweeps Away Motorcyclist, Displaces Hundreds Of Residents In Lagos by MrsTwrite(f): 9:38am On Sep 17, 2023
Una sorry o.

3 Likes

Re: Flood Sweeps Away Motorcyclist, Displaces Hundreds Of Residents In Lagos by Passionate888: 9:38am On Sep 17, 2023
Lagos and Anambra with natural disasters is like 5 and 6

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flood Sweeps Away Motorcyclist, Displaces Hundreds Of Residents In Lagos by Moufan40: 9:39am On Sep 17, 2023
sad.

Please I really need your help, I had to change to a new moniker to plead for help. I'm in a financial difficulty at the moment. any help will be deeply appreciated. I need help to feed my family. thanks and GOD bless

bank account: 2 2 5 3 3 4 1 3 5 8 zenith bank

1 Like

Re: Flood Sweeps Away Motorcyclist, Displaces Hundreds Of Residents In Lagos by iamtardey: 9:39am On Sep 17, 2023
Village boys will not let this comment session rest 😂 my mind is telling me they are Obi kekerenke village bois

3 Likes

Re: Flood Sweeps Away Motorcyclist, Displaces Hundreds Of Residents In Lagos by VinnyBaba: 9:40am On Sep 17, 2023
Imagine this happened in Anambra!.🤔

Some of our Jobless NL Agbadorians will start masturbating and calling their Papa name. 😏😕

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Flood Sweeps Away Motorcyclist, Displaces Hundreds Of Residents In Lagos by Lanretoye(m): 9:40am On Sep 17, 2023
lazkizz:
why can't the relevant authorities makes plans and arrangement to curtail this natural disaster , since it a yearly occurance
curtail flood?,now this madness is getting serious.
EmekaA125:
gully erosion wan kill people you left back home sir,don't forget that your mama,papa,brothers and sisters are there.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerians, Lets Go On A Vacation / Abeokuta Railway: FG Relocates Abeokuta Train Station Again / Container Trailer Kills An Okada Rider In Mushin (Graphic Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.