Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,145 members, 7,811,221 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:57 AM

The Plight Of A Nigeria Employee Working At Kiara Rice Mill Part One - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Plight Of A Nigeria Employee Working At Kiara Rice Mill Part One (533 Views)

BOSCH Trains Innoson Kiara Academy Personnel On Machine Installation / Dangote's 2.6million Rice Mill In Kebbi State (Photos) / Fire Outbreak At Abakaliki Rice Mill Company (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Plight Of A Nigeria Employee Working At Kiara Rice Mill Part One by Delejumi(m): 9:43am On Sep 20, 2023
Once upon a time, a young boy quit his job in search for a greener pasture in a far way Kpatsuwa village, Niger State Nigeria, with seemingly better offer, the new company convinced him to join the organization and he decided to join after many discussions.
Kiara Rice Mill Ltd is the name of the organization and they are on course to be the largest rice mill in Nigeria with billion-naira investment but it is appalling that the company in so many ways are capitalizing on the corrupt system we have in Nigeria to justify their poor staff welfare.
Firstly, it took many staffs (either direct or indirect staff) to sustain life threatening injuries and infact a loss of life before the company could be serious about discussing safety measures for all her factory workers, in the same way, it is mouth watering that a Rice milling company with a capacity of 400MT per day at the time did not have a working clinic for emergency purpose and the closest hospital to the factory is about 20 minutes’ drive which had proven costly for victims.
As an evidence of bad welfarism from the company, the company care very less about the health of her staff to the extent that after working for 6 days in a row and in some instances seven days (when required), if any staff after those stress could break down, he or she will be fully responsible for his or her medical bills except such staff will take a loan to pay for her medical bills while all the Indian staffs are all on paid medical insurance but not for Nigerian staffs.
As though this is not enough, the work environment is bad to the extent that flies is easy to come by in the factory premises and offices and untreated water from the parboiler is what we are used to as the staffs generally. Toilets are either handless or not in good shape and the offices built are without ventilation except their own (Indian) offices who are management staffs.
Talking about qualification and skill, Kiara Rice Mill Ltd have many expatriates who are not qualified and made them boss over a more qualified and experienced Nigerian staffs. With proofs, many of the list they gave the Immigration services and their portfolio are totally different from their basic function and I currently have evidence to corroborate the point. While they pay their fellow Indian staff millions of naira and local allowances for the month which is different from (salary), and also provide accommodation and their breakfast, lunch and dinner every day they are content in paying local staffs forty-thousand naira (#40,000) without any allowance. There is no way of appreciating commitment of+ employee and they pride themselves in threatening anyone who tends to ask question with termination of appointment.
Re: The Plight Of A Nigeria Employee Working At Kiara Rice Mill Part One by banjicom(m): 10:32am On Sep 20, 2023
I don't understand Nigerians sometimes!! You guys keeping complaining of bad working conditions, and been treated like slaves but you refuse to leave. No one is holding a gun to your heads to work, imagine what will happen if all the workers refused to work and protests for bad working conditions I am sure the company will be forced to review their working and payment.

I don't blame the company I blame the workers

1 Like

Re: The Plight Of A Nigeria Employee Working At Kiara Rice Mill Part One by Delejumi(m): 9:49am On Sep 21, 2023
banjicom:
I don't understand Nigerians sometimes!! You guys keeping complaining of bad working conditions, and been treated like slaves but you refuse to leave. No one is holding a gun to your heads to work, imagine what will happen if all the workers refused to work and protests for bad working conditions I am sure the company will be forced to review their working and payment.

I don't blame the company I blame the workers

The problem is when majority of the workers agreed to protest, many backed off and they fired the people that they thought fronted it.
Re: The Plight Of A Nigeria Employee Working At Kiara Rice Mill Part One by banjicom(m): 9:55am On Sep 21, 2023
Delejumi:

The problem is when majority of the workers agreed to protest, many backed off and they fired the people that they thought fronted it.

You see what I am saying now, why are they backing off most of the people are not worth fighting for because they actually deserve what they get. Judas and backbiters everywhere, and that is what is destroying our country right now.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

700 Million Linkedin Database Records Available For Grab. / Ornament Designs,monograming Ang General Printing / What Do U Think About Advertising Business In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.