Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,975 members, 7,821,414 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:39 PM

I'm Older Than Nollywood - Pete Edochie - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / I'm Older Than Nollywood - Pete Edochie (262 Views)

Pete Edochie, Chiwetalu Agu, Others Feature In The Rising Sun / Fatal Arrogance: Pete Edochie Threatened Over 'Shiites' Movie As Terrorists / Praise' Wife Is Older Than Him, She's 60 Something - Brighto (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'm Older Than Nollywood - Pete Edochie by Noneroone(m): 9:52am On Sep 21, 2023
In an interview with Afia TV, Edochie said the concept of Nollywood — as known today — did not exist when he made his acting debut in the 1985 adaptation of Chinua Achebe’s best-selling novel, ‘Things Fall Apart’.

The 76-year-old film star said Nollywood began seven years later with ‘Living In Bondage’ in 1992.

Edochie said he started to gain global recognition following his performance in ‘Things Fall Apart’.
Advertisement

“I am senior in the movie industry. I mean, when I did ‘Things Fall Apart’ in 1985, there was nothing like Nollywood. By then, Nollywood was slumbering sonorously in the womb of time,” he said.

“It was seven years after that Nollywood came on board with ‘Living In Bondage.’ I went round the world before Nollywood came. By the special grace of God, after I did ‘Things Fall Apart,’ I was celebrated internationally.

“The BBC flew in here to interview me and flew into America to interview Chinua Achebe. And Achebe said, ‘Pete Edochie gave that role an interpretation after my heart.’ Before he died, he was calling me Okonkwo.
Advertisement

“Seven years after Nollywood came and when I retired from broadcasting, I joined Nollywood.”

Edochie began his career as a radio broadcaster in 1967.

He had starred in ‘Things Fall Apart’ before he formally left radio broadcasting.

In 1995, Edochie was featured in ‘Ikuku (Hurricane) 1’, his first movie since his performance in ‘Things Fall Apart’.

He has starred in over 200 movies and is considered one of the most influential and respected actors in Nigeria.

He has also received several awards and recognitions for his outstanding performances and craft.

NOLLYWOOD

The Nigerian film industry, known as Nollywood, was founded in the 1990s. But the term ‘Nollywood’ was coined by the New York Times journalist Norimitsu Onishi in 2002 when he observed film-making activity in Lagos, Nigeria

https://lifestyle.thecable.ng/pete-edochie-reflects-on-4-decade-acting-career/
Re: I'm Older Than Nollywood - Pete Edochie by TemplarLandry: 9:52am On Sep 21, 2023
This man I respect a lot is lying too.
Nawa o.
Re: I'm Older Than Nollywood - Pete Edochie by Authoreety: 9:53am On Sep 21, 2023
Even me
Re: I'm Older Than Nollywood - Pete Edochie by Armaggedon: 9:54am On Sep 21, 2023
interesting
Re: I'm Older Than Nollywood - Pete Edochie by Nobody: 9:56am On Sep 21, 2023
Your son is rubbishing all your labour in Nollywood
Re: I'm Older Than Nollywood - Pete Edochie by Urheadmaster(m): 9:59am On Sep 21, 2023
There was nothing like nollywood before things fall apart.

Edochie is telling the truth tongue
TemplarLandry:
Nawa o.
Re: I'm Older Than Nollywood - Pete Edochie by Bulldozer90: 9:59am On Sep 21, 2023
Very true
Re: I'm Older Than Nollywood - Pete Edochie by smileyoo: 10:12am On Sep 21, 2023
TemplarLandry:
Nawa o.
lol. how will you know if he is telling the truth, especially if you are one of these indomie generations.
but check the records you will realize that he is actually telling you the truth.
Re: I'm Older Than Nollywood - Pete Edochie by TemplarLandry: 10:15am On Sep 21, 2023
Baba Edochie should retract that fallacious statement.
Re: I'm Older Than Nollywood - Pete Edochie by swanpiccolo: 11:22am On Sep 21, 2023
Hmmm makes you wonder...

(1) (Reply)

Did You Know This Secret To Get Free Access To Xtreme Hd Iptv Channels? / Media Personnel Needed For Corporative Projects / 9 Months Injury (lafplus Comedy)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.