Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,923 members, 7,828,206 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:15 AM

How Can I Recover My Funds Back? - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / How Can I Recover My Funds Back? (524 Views)

Help! Nairalanders. How Do I Retrieve My Funds? / How Do I Recover My Stolen Certificates Found With A Smuggler In Lagos? / Who Can Help Me Retrieve My Funds From These Scammers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Recover My Funds Back? by GYBABA(m): 9:17am On Sep 22, 2023
Hi good morning. I write this with heavy pains in my heart. I swear to God and everything I live for that this is true. Criminals are everywhere and at the slightest opportunity, you'll be defrauded till your last dime. Beware!

I just got my school fees for my final year programme yesterday night Thursday (21st). It was a total of #135,000 into my Opay account. My mom sent #15,000 while my uncle sent #120,000.

This morning Friday (22nd) I decided to make a withdrawal and head out to an Access Bank ATM, Ojoo, Ibadan as it was the closest to me around 6am. I went early because that ATM is always crowded when day breaks. It's much easy when I go early & I quickly get cash. I tried collecting from one of the ATMs that wasn't out of service but some of the buttons were not working and it normally works. I tried removing it and trying again then some other people started coming around to withdraw at the other free ATMs.

Then there was a man who approached me and he acted like a security officer because of the way he tried helping me out because I obviously had issues with the ATM. This was something the security guards normally do to help Incase you had issues. So I thought he was one. He was calm. He exhibited behaviour that the security personnels did. He acted like a good Samaritan. Any time I got stuck, I'll remove the card & insert again until he offered to help. I was watching it. He removed it, tried cleaning it then inserted it too. There was no foul play. Did this for about two more times before I realized that another ATM was free. Then before removing the card myself, I saw another security officer I recognize and I asked that one from a distance to also come help out but he told me the one I was working on was not dispensing. The Samaritan was still around then though he was on a call.

So the security man I recognize pointed to another ATM dispensing money so I moved there. It was when I tried withdrawing, it was saying the ATM pin was incorrect. I was shocked. I tried the second time, same thing. I didn't want to try third time so my card won't be swallowed so I let it be. The other ATMs available weren't working. I decided to walk to another ATM a short distance to the access ATM ie FCMB. I tried but these ones for FCMB we're even dispensing at all. All of them were also out of service so I decided to go home. Maybe I would come back later when they've been loaded or collect at POS terminal.

When I got home, I checked my phone. I didn't go out with my phone. I intentionally leave my phone at home when going out to withdraw money that early Incase I'm attacked and the assailant wants to collect my phone for evil motives so I'll be safe. After checking my phone, I saw notifications from Opay letting me know that card transaction failed due to exceeding daily limit. I was shocked because I didn't collect anything and I had my card. Everything that was needed was with me. There were notifications already sent when I checked my phone. Infact more notifications poured down almost immediately. This had happened before I got home. I saw 50k debit, 10k debit, 10k debit. That was 70k successfully debited. I freaked out. I didn't collect anything but then I thought it was a system error. I decided to login to my Opay app and confirm. Lo & behold, #135,000 I saw with my own eyes yesterday night has become 65,000. 😩😭. I checked the transaction list and saw that first 50k was debited from a POS terminal before the POS limit kicked in. The 20k was from an ATM terminal. Then I saw it wasn't an error, immediately I tried to block my card. While in the process of blocking it, another 10k was deducted. I didn't even know when I shouted. It was early.

Eighty thousand naira from my school fees had gone. Tears started falling despite the fact that I wasn't in the mood yet because my mind was still trying to figure out what happened. I blocked it immediately. Then I started thinking. I have everything with me. My sim is here. I didn't give anyone my OTP. I had my card here with me. I could see it. Then I decided to check the card well because the transaction was from card. Lo and behold, the card wasn't mine. It was another card. That is when I understood what was happening.

The good Samaritan who I thought was a security personnel in the bank wasn't who I thought he was but i was there when he tried helping me out. It must have been during the time he tried cleaning the card that he swapped them. Gave me a defunct card and took mine. I also realized since he was behind me, he must have saw my pin when I was trying to withdraw. From his position, I did not think he could see my pin. I blocked it ooo. How did he still see it? And did he swap it? How? The card never fell. Nothing! It was like a magic trick because I was watching him. I lowered my guard and he struck. He looked so decent, responsible and helpful. Beware of people offering help ooo especially strangers.

I went back to the bank immediately. Even while running back there, I could still see notifications that the person was still trying to withdraw more but I have blocked the card already. I went around and saw another different third man who I didn't recognize but was obviously a security personnel too because that early, he had access to a part of the compound that others wouldn't have access too. I met the man and asked if he was working there & he acknowledged it was true. I explained my situation to him and asked if the CCTV cameras at the ATM were working. He told me they're working and he tried calling someone. Afterwards he told me that they've been looking for that person too. Some days ago, this same person paraded as a security man offering to help others at the ATM and defrauded them.

Re: How Can I Recover My Funds Back? by dominique(f): 9:31am On Sep 22, 2023
Sorry, this was clearly negligence from you not fault from the bank. You can't get your funds back unless you're able to find the man. Good thing you've blocked the card before he used the rest of the money to purchase something online

1 Like

Re: How Can I Recover My Funds Back? by GYBABA(m): 9:34am On Sep 22, 2023
Continuation...

The security man told me the last time, it was a woman much older than me that was affected. She has 48k in her account and 41k was withdrawn leaving her with 7k. My description matched the other victim's own. The same way he tried cleaning other people's card was also what he did for them too. It was very fast and unbelievable. It was swapped but how, when? I don't understand. I was watching. The man said the person he called to report to was saying if it were Access Bank too, they could have done something but they won't take it seriously since it wasn't their bank. I was using Opay but he collected my number and said he'll call me when he sees anyone that matches that description so I'll come identify the person.

The annoying thing is that all the time I had way less than that amount, I this never happened. Not once. Just when I had this much more this happened. My final year school fees. Please help me. How can I get back this money & also bring the person to book? I can't forgo this money. I called my uncle to explain because I don't have a dad. He died since 2002. My uncle just decided to help my mum out by sponsoring me. When I told him, he insulted me. He was very angry. The money wasn't easy for him to get & he also has his family &business but after sending & things happens like this, he wasn't happy at all. After scolding me, he cut the call. I guess he doesn't want to have anything to do with it. I don't blame him. I blame myself for trusting a fellow Nigerian like me.

Called my mum too. She was shocked and disappointed. She said she doesn't know what to do. There's nothing she can do. She also cut the call. I have messed up. I'm in big trouble. No one wants to help me again.

Just guide me right. How should I get back the money? What should I do? I need your advice, help anything. I'm depressed. I can't think straight. I can't even stop these tears. I didn't know I could cry like this. I'm hurt really bad.

Beware! Some people are evil. They come offering help meanwhile they have sinister motives. I wish I could go back in time. I wish I have resources to track down the thief and even the bank saying they can't help much since I'm not their customer is not encouraging. I can't go to the Police because they will also want to be settled with money before they agree to help. What do I do? Deadline for school fees payment is approaching. 😭🤲. I need to retrieve it before then.
Re: How Can I Recover My Funds Back? by GYBABA(m): 9:43am On Sep 22, 2023
dominique:
Sorry, this was clearly negligence from you not fault from the bank. You can't get your funds back unless you're able to find the man. Good thing you've blocked the card before he used the rest of the money to purchase something online

Yes I know. Right now I just want corrective measures.
Re: How Can I Recover My Funds Back? by garriAndsugar: 9:44am On Sep 22, 2023
if they mistakenly get that guy and call you, make sure you carry coke bottle along.
You gats burst that guy head before any explanation or retrieving of money for the pains he made you pass through.

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Recover My Funds Back? by GYBABA(m): 9:55am On Sep 22, 2023
garriAndsugar:
if they mistakenly get that guy and call you, make sure you carry coke bottle along.
You gats burst that guy head before any explanation or retrieving of money for the pains he made you pass through.

I just hope I find him first. I just hope so then it can be verified with the CCTV footage. If only he'll come around
Re: How Can I Recover My Funds Back? by Aaaaarghmed(m): 4:39am On Nov 26, 2023
Hmm..saddening.Please next time to allow anyone help you at the ATM.by now you should know this.why did you loose guard like this undecided

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

TB Joshua Raped, Tortured Worshippers, Faked Miracles – BBC Report / Unknown Numbers!......do Anyone Know? / Hired Hitman To Kill Husband, Plot Caught On Camera

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.