Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,149 members, 7,818,451 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:07 PM

Govs. Amaechi And Oshiomhole Condem FG's Economic Policy - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Govs. Amaechi And Oshiomhole Condem FG's Economic Policy (3903 Views)

Forex Policy: Iberia Withdraws Services From Nigeria / CBN Forex Policy: Local Manufacturers Happy As Production And Sales Leap By 50% / States’ Fortunes Dip As Govs Abandon Natural Resources For Abuja Cake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Govs. Amaechi And Oshiomhole Condem FG's Economic Policy by Ovularia: 3:07am On Oct 20, 2011
Amaechi, Oshiomhole rubbish FG economic policy
Written by  Ifeanyi Onuba and Sunday Ojeme

The governors of Rivers and Edo states, Rotimi Amaechi and Adams Oshiomhole, on Tuesday, severely criticised the economic policy of the Goodluck Jonathan administration, calling for a total overhaul.

The governors picked holes in some Federal Government’s economic initiatives, including the 2012 budget, revenue allocation, fuel subsidy management and the Sovereign Wealth Fund.

Amaechi belongs to President Jonathan’s Peoples Democratic Party while Oshiomhole is of the Action Congress of Nigeria.

Oshiomhole, on the other hand, berated the government for the parlous state of the nation’s infrastructure, and called for a "revolution" in the power sector.

He also specifically accused the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation and the Petroleum Product Pricing and Regulating Agency of arbitrarily deducting N100b and N131bn respectively from the Federation Account.

He challenged the Federal Government to publish beneficiaries of the fuel subsidy, on which the government claimed it spent N1.5trn.

The state chief executives spoke while reacting to a paper presented by the Accountant-General of the Federation, Mr. John Otunla, at the 41st conference of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria in Abuja.

The theme of the conference was, "The dawn of transformation: embracing change and seizing opportunities."

Amaechi, who questioned what he described as the "arbitrariness" in the management of fuel subsidy, stressed the need for government to adopt a different approach to the management of the economy in order for the country to attain its developmental objectives.

He said, "The Federal Government said its recurrent expenditure was 73 per cent. But how do we transform with 25 per cent capital (expenditure)? When I took over in Rivers State, our recurrent expenditure was 20 per cent, with capital at 80 per cent. That is why we are asking for an amendment to the 1999 constitution.

"The Federal Government increased salaries without consulting us, (so) we are currently doing recurrent expenditure at 35 per cent, but our capital is 65 per cent. The Federal Government needs to do something and in doing that they must prioritise."

He also questioned why the country had not been able to fix its refineries despite its enormous oil resources.

Amaechi said, "I want to talk about the issue of subsidy, not more than 100 Nigerians are being paid this subsidy of about N1.4tn.

"I question the arbitrariness in the payment of this subsidy. Why can’t we set up refineries? Why must we continue to import fuel when we have oil in abundance in Rivers State?

"I want Nigerians to challenge the government and hold them accountable because it is only when we do this that we will start seeing the building of refineries in Nigeria."

Amaechi, who urged the Federal Government to address the challenges in the power, health and education sectors in order to boost investment in the country, also faulted the proposed SWF.

"The country does not need a law for the state to make savings for developmental purposes," he said.

In his remarks, Oshiomhole said the decay in the country’s infrastructure had made it imperative for a revolution to be carried out in the power sector.

He lamented the epileptic supply of electricity in the country in spite of the huge investment in the power sector within the past 12 years.

Oshiomhole had barely commenced his presentation when a power outage occurred.

Upon restoration of power, the governor said, "On the recurrent and capital expenditure, it is an open secret that it is impossible for us to revise the situation.

"When I took over in Edo State, the recurrent was like 70 per cent and capital 30 per cent. Even with the new minimum wage, our recurrent is 40 per cent while capital is 60 per cent.

"We had to cut down on unnecessary expenses. Since the Minister of Finance (Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) is new she needs to start on a clean sheet. I think the starting point is to revisit the way the Federation Account is being managed.

[b]"How much do we even make from oil? How many barrels of crude oil do we export daily? The situation has become so complex. Just yesterday (Monday), my Accountant-General told me that during the pre-Federation Account Allocation Committee meeting, the NNPC deducted N100bn for subsidy.

"The PPPRA even did worse than that, he told me they deducted N131bn and these figures are over and above what was in the budget and we all know that in a democracy, no one has the right to spend what has not been appropriated.

"The NNPC takes money from source, no one is complaining, PPPRA also takes money from source and nobody is asking questions."

The governor said what the government needed in the area of infrastructure was not "reforms" but a "revolution."

He said, "We need to go beyond transformation, what we need is a complete revolution in the infrastructure of this country.

"Between 1999 and now, a huge amount had been invested in the power sector and I have thought about the problem of the power sector and have come to a conclusion that the public sector cannot give us power because I haven’t seen new tools and approach to solving the problems in the power sector."

Oshiomhole also said that what he described as the inconsistencies in government policies" had led to a huge loss in revenue.

"We are losing hundreds of billions in revenue through waivers. For me, waivers mean distortions in the system and it doesn’t bring a level playing field," he submitted.[/b]

Efforts to get the NNPC to react on Tuesday yielded no result as calls to mobile phone of the corporation’s spokesman, Dr. Levi Ajuonuma, did not go though. Also text message sent to his phone by one of our correspondents on the allegation against the NNPC was not replied to.

In the case of the PPPRA, an official of the agency who answered our correspondent’s phone call declined comment on the matter and that he would need to consult some documents before he could respond to the allegation against the agency.

http://news.punchng.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=1808:amaechi-oshiomhole-rubbish-fg-economic-policy&Itemid=542
Re: Govs. Amaechi And Oshiomhole Condem FG's Economic Policy by Pukkah: 8:00am On Oct 20, 2011
Good questions from Mr Oshiomhole and Mr Amechi! These are the questions we've been asking. They just to 'lazily' remove the subsidy without digging deep and addressing the issues.
Re: Govs. Amaechi And Oshiomhole Condem FG's Economic Policy by Bawss1(m): 8:17am On Oct 20, 2011
The questions are well deserved, it is good that these governors are the ones pushing this issue.
Re: Govs. Amaechi And Oshiomhole Condem FG's Economic Policy by Beaf: 8:21am On Oct 20, 2011
All that these lazy governors are doing is angling for more free oil money from Abuja. I find it truly despicable, they need to get their states moving and developing. Don't they feel embarrassed to have to go bowl in hand to Abuja month in, month out? They even want to shut down Nigeria's shiny new investment vehicle, the SWF so that more money can go to their pockets states. Talk about selling the futures of the unborn!

Nigeria is phucked with this lot. I only support them about the removal of the subsidy.
Re: Govs. Amaechi And Oshiomhole Condem FG's Economic Policy by Nobody: 8:35am On Oct 20, 2011
gbawe save this for future cheesy

beaf just called amaechi and oshiomole lazy governors
Re: Govs. Amaechi And Oshiomhole Condem FG's Economic Policy by Bawss1(m): 8:37am On Oct 20, 2011
^ I was just going to comment on that. So Amaechi and Oshiomole are lazy governors now? shocked shocked shocked
Re: Govs. Amaechi And Oshiomhole Condem FG's Economic Policy by Beaf: 8:43am On Oct 20, 2011
^
Is your governor not lazy as well? If not, what does your state produce outside begging for oil money?
Quit the small-mindedness if you have zero intellect to contribute to the topic.

Buncha market women.
Re: Govs. Amaechi And Oshiomhole Condem FG's Economic Policy by Gbawe2: 8:43am On Oct 20, 2011
oyb:

gbawe save this for future  cheesy

beaf just called amaechi and oshiomole lazy governors

My brother, his two-faced nature, duplicitous tongue and flip-flopping style is well known to the entire forum. The thing is that Beaf is a simpleton. His modus operandi is to attack anyone that dare criticises his paymaster (GEJ) never mind that he ostensibly held those folks in high esteem yesterday.
Re: Govs. Amaechi And Oshiomhole Condem FG's Economic Policy by Beaf: 8:44am On Oct 20, 2011
Gbawe.:

My brother, his two-faced nature, duplicitous tongue and flip-flopping style is well known to the entire forum. The thing is that Beaf is a simpleton. His modus operandi is to attack anyone that dare criticises his paymaster (GEJ) never mind that he ostensibly held those folks in high esteem yesterday.

No quotes from Osun Defender and Ovation today? grin
Shallow minded twerp.
Re: Govs. Amaechi And Oshiomhole Condem FG's Economic Policy by isuomo: 8:48am On Oct 20, 2011
Beaf, you are the one who is messed up in your brain, because if you were able to comprehend what both governors said, you will see how they have made sure that just like in every economy around the world that strives for development, they made sure Capital expenditure far outweighs re-current unlike what happens in Abuja where close to 80% is now being spent on recurrent!!! i am sure the white fibres in your farted brain also makes it impossible for you to understand that in a true Federal structure, the bulk of the collective patrimony of the nation belongs to the people and not the FG, hence the states that in the real sense have territorial integrity, should be the ones that get a lion share of the revenue in conjunction with the Local Governments.

You allude to states going cap in hand to Abuja to beg for money, if only your convoluted brain has not resulted in warped thinking, you will perfectly understand that it is indeed the FG that has appropriated all the monies that ought to have remained in the states under a true Federal structure, taken it to Abuja and start sharing it the way they like, do you know that 65% of vat collection in Nigeria comes from the Southwest? yet the money is ferreted to Abuja when in an ideal Fedral structure the collecting states will remit a percentage to the FG. Do you know how many billions comes out of Lagos ports to the FG on a yearly basis? no you dont because your head is so deeply buried in GEJ's you know what, if that money largely stays in Lagos will Fashola be going to Abuja to meet GEJ for money, do you know the amount of vat that comes out of Oyo-State on a monthly basis? no you wouldn't ke? for your information vat alone from Oyo-state is nearly two and half times the allocation she gets from the federal purse.

The federal government has no business sitting on 54% of the country's revenue, it is illogical, brainless and a product of the much maligned military rule that set us on the road to perdition and that golgotha we must eventually reach because things can no longer continue the way they are now, it is stupid for someone sitting in Abuja, negotiating for states how much they should pay their workers, it is daft for a police commissioner waiting for orders from Abuja before security can be maintained in Sepeteri or Lanlate, it is tantamount to madness for an arm of government that has no territory in the real sense and has the least responsibilities, sit on 54% of our collective patrimony. angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Govs. Amaechi And Oshiomhole Condem FG's Economic Policy by Beaf: 8:52am On Oct 20, 2011
^
Get your phucked up governor to get your state functioning and actually working for its bread. Your state is a mere parasite. No?
In the developed World mere LGA's make more money than the whole of Nigeria, because they actually try to do some work, not wait like fools for free oil money.

Keep on waiting bruv and be the same to abuse almajiri's for begging, when you are no better. Keep blaming others for Nigeria's lack of development when you are a lazy phucker.

If the states were making money would they be concerned about expenditure patterns which are written into the constitution, something fools like you are not aware of? Why should the FG be feeding the states?

Dunce.
Re: Govs. Amaechi And Oshiomhole Condem FG's Economic Policy by ektbear: 8:54am On Oct 20, 2011
Of what relevance is this tirade?

Either the economic policy is good, or it is bad.

End of story.
Re: Govs. Amaechi And Oshiomhole Condem FG's Economic Policy by Bawss1(m): 8:57am On Oct 20, 2011
^
Abi o
Re: Govs. Amaechi And Oshiomhole Condem FG's Economic Policy by Gbawe2: 9:04am On Oct 20, 2011
Beaf:

No quotes from Osun Defender and Ovation today? grin
Shallow minded twerp.

What a dullard. Extremely sad to see what you have now become. You don't even make any attempt to inspect what folks are saying anymore in your paranoid delusions that leads you to automatically make an enemy of anyone who criticises your totally clueless messiah now leading Nigeria towards the abyss. By 2015, and according to the pathetic projection and target of Okonjo Iweala, FG recurrent expenditure will be 70% i.e 4% down from 74%   What the hell is that in the most expensive and unproductively bloated democracy on earth? Yet they want to remove fuel subsidy ? Talk about senseless 'Cart before the Horse' leadership.

Read below to note why the likes of Oshiomhole have earned the right to criticise GEJ even as your attack dog mentality only predisposes you to seeing him as  a "lazy governor angling for more oil money".

"When I took over in Edo State, the recurrent was like 70 per cent and capital 30 per cent. Even with the new minimum wage, our recurrent is 40 per cent while capital is 60 per cent.

"We had to cut down on unnecessary expenses. Since the Minister of Finance (Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) is new she needs to start on a clean sheet. I think the starting point is to revisit the way the Federation Account is being managed.
Re: Govs. Amaechi And Oshiomhole Condem FG's Economic Policy by Beaf: 9:12am On Oct 20, 2011
^
When your state starts functioning and not begging for free oil money, you will shut your stinking gob.
GEJ has asked you phuckers to accept true federalism, make the local govts the primary unit of govt and do away with states; but no, you parasites can't do without your free oil money fix, then you turn around to blame GEJ for the foolish things you did when in power in 50 years of brainless mismanagement. Now there is somebody fighting to do the right things, you shameless vultures throw in all sorts of obstacles so no new changes can come in. You have failed.

Losers.

If you have ever been abroad, you will know that the LGA is the primary govt unit, not your phucking lazy state and its addiction to money it doesn't produce. Na swear dem swear for una?

This power station is owned by LG's in the UK, but over here you phucking fools keep battling to be fed day-in, day-out by the FG. Ain't you ashamed? Fool.

Re: Govs. Amaechi And Oshiomhole Condem FG's Economic Policy by Nobody: 9:29am On Oct 20, 2011
When your state starts functioning and not begging for free oil money, you will shut your stinking gob.

is this Arrow talking about the same lagos that baba gej (ota remote letter) with held funds from for years?

typical drunken fisherman - all he knows is oil , oil oil, lazy, empty headed brainless dolt who can only blather about entitlement.

thats why the Arrow has such  hard on for aregbesola - and tinubu - they are slowly and surely weaning the sw off the govt teat.

what will beaf have to say then?

shameless dolt - with all your noise about oil money, whta is it being used to do in your state other than billion naira school renovations?   

anyway, enough of your attempts to steer the topic - which is simple - gej's intellectual and moral betters thrash his ridiculous proposal
Re: Govs. Amaechi And Oshiomhole Condem FG's Economic Policy by Beaf: 9:37am On Oct 20, 2011
oyb:

is this Arrow talking about the same lagos that baba gej (ota remote letter) with held funds from for years?

typical drunken fisherman - all he knows is oil , oil oil, lazy, empty headed brainless dolt who can only blather about entitlement.

thats why the Arrow has such  hard on for aregbesola - and tinubu - they are slowly and surely weaning the sw off the govt teat.

what will beaf have to say then?

shameless dolt - with all your noise about oil money, whta is it being used to do in your state other than billion naira school renovations?   

anyway, enough of your attempts to steer the topic - which is simple - gej's intellectual and moral betters thrash his ridiculous proposal

Its funny how Nigeria has produced so many fools in this generation. embarassed
The baboons you voted into the NASS are creating yet more beggar states that will complain about being starved off funds by the FG too, cos they are phucking lazy, braindead and can't even produce money to flush shiit. FG has to give them money for that, and when the FG starts putting in processes to save money and invest for development and future generations with the SWF, they start jibber-jabbering like the malformed cretins they are.

All hail parasitism and effortless backwardness! Its the new cool!

Animals.
Re: Govs. Amaechi And Oshiomhole Condem FG's Economic Policy by otokx(m): 12:42pm On Oct 20, 2011
AMAECHI has always been a blunt speaker; FG should have consulted with the governors in order to maintain one house.
Re: Govs. Amaechi And Oshiomhole Condem FG's Economic Policy by pitoski(m): 2:05pm On Oct 20, 2011
one hole I can clearly picked in GEJ administration is "Taking/implementing Decisions without exlusively discussing with the large part of the government". I just our Luck does not turn around.
Re: Govs. Amaechi And Oshiomhole Condem FG's Economic Policy by holahabib: 2:18pm On Oct 20, 2011
Beaf - You're just a Foolish  Idi*t and you and your kind(your boss and cohorts) shall know not to take citizens for granted. Take a cue from Libya in the last one hour.

Do you think you have the capacity to argue in public the way you do behind your keyboard?

A**hole
Re: Govs. Amaechi And Oshiomhole Condem FG's Economic Policy by Frendys(m): 3:13pm On Oct 20, 2011
Rt. Hon Amaechi has demostrated to me in his first three years in office that money is really not our problem in this nation but leadership.

The number of projects he executed in those three years 'speak' louder than all the eight years that Odili was in the saddle of the state. Many people may not agree but as a non indegene who attended Uniport and served here and has been working here for over a decade, I can attest to the fact that we have never had it so good in PH.

Yes, many things are still far from ideal such as the state of roads in the Garden City, virtual blackout, among others but I believe he will sort these things out before his tenue ends. He should guide against distractions and distractors who do sub-standard contracts and sycomphants.

As more fund is made available to govt at all levels there will be more propensity for corruption because of leadership crisis. Let all arms of govt begin to demostrate what they can do with what is available to them like Gov Amaechi is doing in Rivers state. Subsidy removal will only compound the problem of the nation because only a few are actully benefitting from it as Gov Amaechi put it!

Even though am not so happy with the state of things in Port Harcourt now, am optimistic that better days are coming if the Governor stays focussed and priortise!
Re: Govs. Amaechi And Oshiomhole Condem FG's Economic Policy by mbulela: 3:16pm On Oct 20, 2011
related to the issue of SWF is the subsidy removal.
Ordinarily the fed govt has a case and would be supported by any sane person but there are a few issues that unless addressed will make the govs look like geniuses.

1. how do you talk of saving (SWF) without addressing the present waste? GEJ seems oblivious to the waste his govt is indulging in and how contradictory it is to the whole subsidy removal and SWF talk.

2. subsidy removal is all good but who is going to hold the savings gotten from subsidy removal? The same fed govt that has its hands permanently in the cookie jar?

3. Why is it so impossible to name and shame these cartel that has impoverished us via the fuel subsidy? i have a nagging feeling that it may be same powers behind the throne of Aso rock.

4. the public are unwilling to believe grammar of how our lives will be bettered with removal of subsidy because this govt and previous ones have never matched their words with action.Why will it be any different now?

5. As long as NNPC remains arguably the most corrupt govt agency and the fed govt remains powerless in addressing the endemic corruption in that place, all these talk subsidy removal and SWF will be akin to treating cancer with ring worm medication.
the fed govt needs to grow balls, balls that have been so far absent.
As long as these balls remain absent, these govs will continually find an audience.
Re: Govs. Amaechi And Oshiomhole Condem FG's Economic Policy by mbulela: 3:18pm On Oct 20, 2011
Frendys:

Rt. Hon Amaechi has demostrated to me in his first three years in office that money is really not our problem in this nation but leadership.

what exactly is the meaning of this title?
i find it nauseating and outrightly egotistical.
Re: Govs. Amaechi And Oshiomhole Condem FG's Economic Policy by AZeD1(m): 4:44pm On Oct 20, 2011
Beaf:

^
GEJ has asked you phuckers to accept true federalism, make the local govts the primary unit of govt and do away with states; but no, you parasites can't do without your free oil money fix, then you turn around to blame GEJ for the foolish things you did when in power in 50 years of brainless mismanagement. Now there is somebody fighting to do the right things, you shameless vultures throw in all sorts of obstacles so no new changes can come in. You have failed.

Losers.

If you have ever been abroad, you will know that the LGA is the primary govt unit, not your phucking lazy state and its addiction to money it doesn't produce. Na swear dem swear for una?

This power station is owned by LG's in the UK, but over here you phucking fools keep battling to be fed day-in, day-out by the FG. Ain't you ashamed? Fool.

Dude incase you dont know, the oil money should be controlled by the two Governors and not GEJ?
Question to you Beaf
If GEJ was as intelligent,bright and is the messiah you proclaim him to be, why has he not cut the cost of Government?? Capital 30% and recurrent(payment of salaries etc)70%??
Re: Govs. Amaechi And Oshiomhole Condem FG's Economic Policy by Pukkah: 5:11pm On Oct 20, 2011
Oil money, or any other revenue from the states for that matter, belongs to the states and not to the Federal Government. In a true federation, it is the states that should remit money to the centre for common or joint activities like central banking, defence, foreign affairs, justice (Supreme Court), etc. A percentage can be agreed for this purpose.

The Federal Government should exist at the behest of the federating states and not the other way round as we have in Nigeria. In essence, it is the states that should fund themselves and then the federal government.

With this, the attraction at the centre will lessen and weak or poor states will merge with others or drop out. There will be emphasis on viability of states and not a case where everyone wants more states like we have now.

Power belongs to the people and not to the federal government.
Re: Govs. Amaechi And Oshiomhole Condem FG's Economic Policy by proudly9ja(m): 5:14pm On Oct 20, 2011
While I totally support what the governors said, they should not forget that they are part of government too. Amaechi said

"I want Nigerians to challenge the government and hold them accountable because it is only when we do this that we will start seeing the building of refineries in Nigeria."

Who are the 'they' and 'we' he's referring to?
Re: Govs. Amaechi And Oshiomhole Condem FG's Economic Policy by Nobody: 5:36pm On Oct 20, 2011
Nigeria Government and there wa ya ooo policy
Re: Govs. Amaechi And Oshiomhole Condem FG's Economic Policy by dayokanu(m): 5:43pm On Oct 20, 2011
So the fellow South South leaders too are seeing how Retardeed Odechukwu retardeen is.

Drunken fisherman
Re: Govs. Amaechi And Oshiomhole Condem FG's Economic Policy by Kilode1: 7:11pm On Oct 20, 2011
proudly9ja:

While I totally support what the governors said, they should not forget that they are part of government too. Amaechi said

Who are the 'they' and 'we' he's referring to?

He's simply telling us he can't police himself. If you leave your cocoyam with a goat, you shouldn't expect to find it intact when you return.

Every politician is a potential looter. Everywhere on planet earth. You make them stay in line by removing the incentive to loot. In Nigeria, we increase the incentive.

Incentive = Immunity, Security vote, Centrally controlled police with no independence, automatic monthly oil revenue, Citizens.

More:

Fake disjointed federalism,

Faux sense of nationhood,

Incoherent national ideology.

Subservient and submissive national mentality promoted via Religion, Schools and a rigid application of culture.

BTW, this system will not correct itself, it has to be radically forced to change.

These people are indirectly crying out for your help to curb their kleptomania, they can't change themselves.
Re: Govs. Amaechi And Oshiomhole Condem FG's Economic Policy by MeGaStReEt: 7:42pm On Oct 20, 2011
Oshiomole should shuttt his mouth until he fulfils the promise he made to Edo people
Re: Govs. Amaechi And Oshiomhole Condem FG's Economic Policy by Pukkah: 7:45pm On Oct 20, 2011
^^^You mean he should not express himself? That's queer.

Would you have said the same thing if he had commended Jonathan?
Re: Govs. Amaechi And Oshiomhole Condem FG's Economic Policy by moreprof: 8:13pm On Oct 20, 2011
birds of a feather!

(1) (2) (Reply)

NSE Foreign Investment Inflows Drop To N16.10bn / Online Verification Service With US Number / Promote Your Cpa Offers To Over 10m Usa Only Leads,earn $250 Weekly On Autopilot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.