Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,521 members, 7,826,959 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:54 AM

Why Do Most Wealthy Nigerians Prefer To Live In Nigeria Than To Relocate Abroad? - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do Most Wealthy Nigerians Prefer To Live In Nigeria Than To Relocate Abroad? (44446 Views)

Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded / How Do I Relocate Abroad. HELP!!! / A Single Mum Wants To Relocate Abroad, Needs Ideas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Most Wealthy Nigerians Prefer To Live In Nigeria Than To Relocate Abroad? by NovusHomo(m): 2:47pm On Oct 03, 2023
essentialone:
Why do most wealthy Nigerians prefer to live in Nigeria than to relocate abroad permanently?

They can pay for the tightest security for themselves and their families.
Re: Why Do Most Wealthy Nigerians Prefer To Live In Nigeria Than To Relocate Abroad? by TOPCRUISE(m): 2:50pm On Oct 03, 2023
As long as $1=N1000 or €1= N1200, the rich will prefer to stay in Nigeria and will feel like kings

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Wealthy Nigerians Prefer To Live In Nigeria Than To Relocate Abroad? by DeepSight(m): 2:52pm On Oct 03, 2023
Kenn55:
The answer is simple. They can't get the level of respect and worship they get in Nigeria when they reside abroad. Secondly, their source of wealth will be questioned.

Abroad is a leveler of men, nobody send anybody. No special interest or recognition, no police or army following you around carrying your bag and umbrella for you cos you are a big man,everybody has 24/7 light, everybody has water rushing in their homes, everybody enjoys good roads, everybody can afford to travel to other countries because of their passport if they can afford a flight ticket not because they have billions in the bank to show the embassy etc.

So at the end, the gap between the rich and poor is narrow so nobody is going to become a slave to another person because they are rich in abroad.

So if you are a Nigerian big man, you don't want to live in a place where you become an ordinary person, you will rather want to live in a place where your wealth can make you a "god" in the eyes of the people and you can use them and the system to your advantage. In Nigeria, if you are rich, the police, judiciary,pastors etc will do your bidding, in abroad, nobody cares.

But then, don't forget that despite that, most still have properties abroad and their children also have one leg abroad through citizenship or residency incase of incasity grin Don't let them fool you, they are WISE

My only problem with your write up is your improper use of English. You keep saying "in abroad" whereas the proper thing is "in the abroad."
Re: Why Do Most Wealthy Nigerians Prefer To Live In Nigeria Than To Relocate Abroad? by Aguogba(m): 2:52pm On Oct 03, 2023
essentialone:
Why do most wealthy Nigerians prefer to live in Nigeria than to relocate abroad permanently?
Most of these people Africans see as wealthy are criminals and thieves with unexplainable sources of wealth. They can only survive in the UK and Switzerland. Unfortunately, life in these countries is hell for the "wealthy", so they have no place to go. They can only visit the EU and north America, and have their purchased Caribbean passports as doomsday backup plans.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Wealthy Nigerians Prefer To Live In Nigeria Than To Relocate Abroad? by KaptainAfrika: 2:53pm On Oct 03, 2023
You can impregnate any woman and not pay child support.
Re: Why Do Most Wealthy Nigerians Prefer To Live In Nigeria Than To Relocate Abroad? by oakenfold: 2:54pm On Oct 03, 2023
It's not just Nigeria. Billionaires are barely paying any tax in the US. They have written all the laws to favor themselves.
Re: Why Do Most Wealthy Nigerians Prefer To Live In Nigeria Than To Relocate Abroad? by justwise(m): 2:57pm On Oct 03, 2023
Chetas81:
Kindly mention the one you remember

Mention what?
Re: Why Do Most Wealthy Nigerians Prefer To Live In Nigeria Than To Relocate Abroad? by maasoap(m): 2:59pm On Oct 03, 2023
justwise:
[/b]

Say that to Diezani Alison-Madueke or Abacha family, how are they enjoying it?
You are naive again to think that Abacha's family or Diezani are not enjoy their loot.
Re: Why Do Most Wealthy Nigerians Prefer To Live In Nigeria Than To Relocate Abroad? by AlphaHakimi: 3:03pm On Oct 03, 2023
Nobody actually wants to travel abroad. Na condition make us dey Japa. If a dollar or pounds exchanges at 50kobo today, you will discover that most Nigerians will just return home.

All these people going abroad for masters is just a route to make money for themselves.

Have you every heard the US citizens are leaving their country to go and work in the UK?? Infact most citizens of the US live and die in the same city they were born. That's why they think that Africa is a country.

Shalom.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Wealthy Nigerians Prefer To Live In Nigeria Than To Relocate Abroad? by Bfly: 3:05pm On Oct 03, 2023
The rich relocate, inshort many reach people are there. But the superich can't relocate because they have their businesses here.
Re: Why Do Most Wealthy Nigerians Prefer To Live In Nigeria Than To Relocate Abroad? by Chidozianu(m): 3:11pm On Oct 03, 2023
SmartyPants:

Really? Lol.

The rich barely pay tax abroad...they hide their money in all sorts of legal vehicles.

The truth is that Nigeria is a wonderfuul place to live for the rich.
Sure. They put their money in corporations that they control and is taxed less.
Re: Why Do Most Wealthy Nigerians Prefer To Live In Nigeria Than To Relocate Abroad? by gforce5: 3:13pm On Oct 03, 2023
Gerrard, I respect you a lot but that is not true. Have you ever heard of Mo Ibrahim? He's the richest black man in the UK from Sudan. As of last year, he was worth $1billion. He was the owner of CELTEL. He also has a popular foundation in Africa called the Mo Ibrahim foundation. Dude is not that famous due to the fact that he is low key. The man was in the Sunday Times Rich list for years (that should tell you that i have lived in the system for a while and cannot lie). Google him.

Gerrard59:
Using Forbes and Bloomberg, no black billionaire in all of Europe. Adebayo Ogunlesi could have been one, but he is not a dollar billionaire. Meanwhile, there are substantial British-Indians and British-Pakistanis who are dollar billionaires. If a black billionaire is to emerge from Europe, the UK is the most likeliest of places. I don't see France or Italy producing such. I for Impossicant.

BTW, which kind entrepreneurship una wey dey UK dey do sef? E get why I talk say Nigerians are not entrepreneurial. Close to or more than 300K British-Nigerians in the UK, no billionaire. God bless the US sha. If capitalism didn't dey, e didn't dey.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Wealthy Nigerians Prefer To Live In Nigeria Than To Relocate Abroad? by Chidozianu(m): 3:17pm On Oct 03, 2023
Nigeria is a haven to them where they could do certain things and go scot free while in Europe or America, they could be jailed. Besides, if I was incredibly Powerful and Wealthy, I would build my paradise in Nigeria and enjoy the place with absolute freedom due to being immensely feared and respected than relocate to a foreign land. It is better to be a king in the jungle than to be a dog in the city.
Re: Why Do Most Wealthy Nigerians Prefer To Live In Nigeria Than To Relocate Abroad? by Chidozianu(m): 3:24pm On Oct 03, 2023
creativehubb:
Because it's easier and convenient, cheap helps, cheap bills etc.
True. Cost of living is higher in the advanced countries than in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Wealthy Nigerians Prefer To Live In Nigeria Than To Relocate Abroad? by kabillionaire(m): 3:28pm On Oct 03, 2023
They're already living in a green pasture, it's those living in hinterland that japa for green pasture.
Re: Why Do Most Wealthy Nigerians Prefer To Live In Nigeria Than To Relocate Abroad? by t2luv1: 3:38pm On Oct 03, 2023
justwise:

They can't hide their wealth abroad but that can do that comfortably in Nigeria.

TAXES !!!!!! Get that Average Americans pay an effective tax rate of 28% federal 6% State(Unless you live in one of those tax-free state, but you still pay it back on Property taxes). I paid off my house 6 yrs ago but I still pay $6000 in property taxes every freaking year. I might as well be renting it for $500 per month. Only thing free in this land of milk and honey is the air one breath. That is free because it is even polluted.
Re: Why Do Most Wealthy Nigerians Prefer To Live In Nigeria Than To Relocate Abroad? by justwise(m): 3:40pm On Oct 03, 2023
maasoap:

You are naive again to think that Abacha's family or Diezani are not enjoy their loot.

I don't know your definition of enjoyment. Diezani particularly will be wearing electronic tag while waiting for court appearance, can not travel outside the Uk, at her age she is really not enjoying her loot. If she was in Nigeria she will be a free woman moving around freely.
Re: Why Do Most Wealthy Nigerians Prefer To Live In Nigeria Than To Relocate Abroad? by dahunsi12(m): 3:41pm On Oct 03, 2023
opera1:
Because is always better to be a king in your village than being a slave in a city.

Wisdom will not kiiiii u
Re: Why Do Most Wealthy Nigerians Prefer To Live In Nigeria Than To Relocate Abroad? by Akaujaa(m): 3:42pm On Oct 03, 2023
Because the few wealthy people make their money by milking or taking advantage of the poor people.
Re: Why Do Most Wealthy Nigerians Prefer To Live In Nigeria Than To Relocate Abroad? by SmartyPants(m): 3:43pm On Oct 03, 2023
Wealthoptulent:

not that easy to blow cashhere as wealthy man, having a chauffeur , maid ? then u must leave in palace. most wealthy people here in London live in sel lone big compound ( not detatched or semi detached) with jus duplex & no maid but agency that supplies such services at booked time

I don't know what you mean by "it's not that easy to blow cash here as a rich man"

You are trying to describe what foreign countroes are like to me without asking whether i should be the one describing them to you?

You can easily hire a live in housekeeper and it wont cost above 5k usd which is nothing to a wealthy person.

This is a fact
Re: Why Do Most Wealthy Nigerians Prefer To Live In Nigeria Than To Relocate Abroad? by Lincton: 3:50pm On Oct 03, 2023
Riches has no value where you are not being honoured (worship).
Re: Why Do Most Wealthy Nigerians Prefer To Live In Nigeria Than To Relocate Abroad? by Cizarr(m): 3:54pm On Oct 03, 2023
Fearyourcreator:

Oponu ..
if you tell me something like this face to face.. walahi I will slap you. Imbe.ci.le
Re: Why Do Most Wealthy Nigerians Prefer To Live In Nigeria Than To Relocate Abroad? by MrCuteAndLoaded: 4:00pm On Oct 03, 2023
Oga London..we hear you! Now can you tell me a Nigerian billionaire that lives in Zone 1?? During the Time when Gordon Brown was the PM you get taxed 50% if you earn more than 100k!

The set of people that live like that are the Royal family or those whose forefathers bestowed wealth and it's only in the UK.

Nigerians will never live in Zone 1 riding Rolls-Royce. Even the Emirati Oil big boys will prefer to come Harrods in thier hired Lamboghini shop and then go back to thei Kingdom!

[quote
author=Mille post=126153143]

Lol. Absurd reasoning and hate on rich folks. The kind of hate that stems on envy.

Poor people are the worst set of people to live or relate with. No wonder the rich in Nigeria live in gated, well guarded estates that is out of bounds to people who don't belong there.

In your mind now, every rich person in Nigeria has questionable wealth.

Lol at the "Abroad is a leveler of wealth". What sort of levelling is between people who live in shared flats in London Zone 5, running to catch the tube every day and those who live in private luxury estates in London Zone 1 with a rolls Royce, chaffeur, 24 hour nannies for their children, paying almost 50k in tuition per child at Elton College.

The audacity to compare rich people to our folks in the abroad who move around with bushy hairs because they can't afford to pay £15 pounds weekly for a haircut. [/quote]
Re: Why Do Most Wealthy Nigerians Prefer To Live In Nigeria Than To Relocate Abroad? by Gentew(m): 4:01pm On Oct 03, 2023
Nigeria is sweeter if you have money..... you can only travel abroad for medicals, vacations and all that.
Re: Why Do Most Wealthy Nigerians Prefer To Live In Nigeria Than To Relocate Abroad? by Fearyourcreator: 4:02pm On Oct 03, 2023
Cizarr:
if you tell me something like this face to face.. walahi I will slap you. Imbe.ci.le
Idiot .. nothing you will do if you face me
Re: Why Do Most Wealthy Nigerians Prefer To Live In Nigeria Than To Relocate Abroad? by DonroxyII: 4:04pm On Oct 03, 2023
essentialone:
Money/Wealth/Freedom is Easily Made in Nigeria Than Abroad ...

I'm not Japaing Anymore ... I'm staying here & Making it On God ...

We go dey represent Nigeria Abroad either for vacation or conference ....

As Oyinbo dey develop dem own side, We go develop our own side too ... Whatever it takes, Amen.
Re: Why Do Most Wealthy Nigerians Prefer To Live In Nigeria Than To Relocate Abroad? by bewla(m): 4:11pm On Oct 03, 2023
advanceDNA:
Why would u want to go to where tax is crazily high for the rich when u can be in nigeria, pay less, and flex on the poor...
the mor reason them don't want us to no and keep us in the dark
Re: Why Do Most Wealthy Nigerians Prefer To Live In Nigeria Than To Relocate Abroad? by spiralwedge(m): 4:11pm On Oct 03, 2023
It’s easier here.

Stay closer to where your money is coming from, easier to make money here.
Cheaper labour. Lesser tax. Wonderful summer weather all year round.
Affordable cook, chaffeur and security.
You also get to eat our local dishes at the most affordable rates.
Re: Why Do Most Wealthy Nigerians Prefer To Live In Nigeria Than To Relocate Abroad? by Michikech(m): 4:15pm On Oct 03, 2023
Curse777:
Go and read what Robert Mugabe of blessed memories said about London, UK and Europe compared to Africa

Pls explain to me..... couldn't get it on the internet
Re: Why Do Most Wealthy Nigerians Prefer To Live In Nigeria Than To Relocate Abroad? by planetx: 4:19pm On Oct 03, 2023
You are just another nigga abroad nobody send you no matter how rich, police can stop you and harrass you. So abroad is for poor people who have no choice.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Wealthy Nigerians Prefer To Live In Nigeria Than To Relocate Abroad? by gforce5: 4:21pm On Oct 03, 2023
OP, here are the following reasons why most wealthy Nigerians prefer to live in Nigeria as opposed to living abroad.

Firstly, most rich people of any country (especially developing countries) prefer to live in their country of origin as that is their base, their source of wealth and influence.

Secondly, most of them are always traveling abroad, so they are not in Nigeria 24/7. Tony Elumelu for example, is always traveling abroad for one engagement or another. Otedola frequently travels back and forth between London and Lagos.

Thirdly, most wealthy Nigerians would be subjected to tax in the west so they prefer to be based in Nigeria where they can easily game the system and preserve their wealth.

Fourthly, many wealthy people cannot afford to leave the running of their businesses to their subordinates. We Nigerians do not trust ourselves. Nigerian businesses have not grown to the level where the founder and CEO can afford distance himself from the day to day running of the business. Most business men own a majority of shares of their own companies.

Fifthly, majority of businesses in Nigeria are based on connections and influence. Most wealthy Nigerians need to maintain their contacts and influence by being physically present in the country. They have no connections abroad.

Lastly, as many people in this forum have stated, wealthy Nigerians can get away with so many things in Nigeria that they can never do abroad. They can never be taken to court in Nigeria as the matter will die a natural death. They can rape/abuse many women and get away with it. They can destroy people's properties without any consequences. The list goes on.
Re: Why Do Most Wealthy Nigerians Prefer To Live In Nigeria Than To Relocate Abroad? by planetx: 4:24pm On Oct 03, 2023
Maliqcious:
Why I go get money japa? No be because of money man they japa
They say it's not for money but for the children, that's the new excuse.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

U.S Bans A Female Nigerian Banker For Life Over Fake Visa / First Kilometre Of Lagos-Calabar Coastal Highway Completed With Street Lights / Cañada Real In Spain Looks Poor, Dirty (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.