Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,102 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:05 PM

..... - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / ..... (7041 Views)

509 Bandwidth Limit Exceeded - Nscdc.gov.ng / Help! .net Bandwidth Will Soon Finish - Suggestions Please / Sunnewsonline.com Bandwidth Limit Exceeded (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

..... by Ymodulus: 11:17am On Oct 21, 2011
Re: ..... by DualCore1: 11:39am On Oct 21, 2011
Bandwdith is an addition of upload and download traffic over a given period of time.

Example 1.
If you site's homepage is 500MB (God forbid). When a user visits your site's homepage he pulls off 500MB of your bandwidth. If 10 users visit just the homepage of your site they pull 5000MB (5gb) of your bandwidth.
So if you are given 20GB a month and 40 users visit your site. . . thts 40 x 500MB = 20000MB (20GB).
You have maxed your bandwidth and can buy more bandwidth for your host if they have that option or wait for the next 30day cycle for your bandwidth to be reset.

Example 2:
You have a site with 20GB (20000MB) monthly bandwidth,
You have a music file that is 10MB.
When you upload that music file you have spent 10MB of your bandwidth. You now have 19990MB left.
When users start downloading your music file they collect from your bandwidth.
So if 50 users download your music that 50 users multiplied by 10MB which is 500MB.
So now you are left with 19490MB. It goes on like that.
Your monthly bandwidth meter is reset every 30 days.

Summary: site's upload traffic + site's download traffic = total bandwidth used.
Re: ..... by sheriffman(m): 11:51am On Oct 21, 2011
Good one Dual core but pls is there any tool/site/software I can use in determining how much my ISP is giving me cos I really need to be able to measure if I get what i paid for.tx
Re: ..... by unite4real: 11:57am On Oct 21, 2011
you can visit the site www.bandwidthplace.com and do a speed test. you have to make sure no other computer or system is sharing bandwidth at that time. we call that back-to-back test. better still, you can unplug you internet cable from the network. set it up on only one computer to do this test.
Re: ..... by Afam4eva(m): 11:58am On Oct 21, 2011
Dual Core:

Bandwdith is an addition of upload and download traffic over a given period of time.

Example 1.
If you site's homepage is 500MB (God forbid). When a user visits your site's homepage he pulls off 500MB of your bandwidth. If 10 users visit just the homepage of your site they pull 5000MB (5gb) of your bandwidth.
So if you are given 20GB a month and 40 users visit your site. . . thts 40 x 500MB = 20000MB (20GB).
You have maxed your bandwidth and can buy more bandwidth for your host if they have that option or wait for the next 30day cycle for your bandwidth to be reset.

Example 2:
When you upload that music file you have spent 10MB of your bandwidth. You now have 19990MB left.
So if 50 users download your music that 50 users multiplied by 10MB which is 500MB.

Summary: site's upload traffic + site's download traffic = total bandwidth used.

Well said.
Re: ..... by Fakabiodun(m): 12:00pm On Oct 21, 2011
If you are the type that make use of webmail all the time, you can move your mail servers to google, by doing this you have 99.9% uptime for your business email. you may also consider buying your server from hostgator.For details on how to move your mail server to google call:01-7648135 thanks
Re: ..... by Nobody: 12:06pm On Oct 21, 2011

Example 1.

Example 2:

Are you very sure about that? I thought your bandwidth decreases when you upload more information unto your site alone. The number of times a user visits doesn't matter or decreases it. It is their own bandwidth that is effect. Don't you think so?

Make me understand more. I am confused here undecided
Re: ..... by Afam4eva(m): 12:11pm On Oct 21, 2011
Olodostein:

Are you very sure about that? I thought your bandwidth decreases when you upload more information unto your site alone. The number of times a user visits doesn't matter or decreases it. It is their own bandwidth that is effect. Don't you think so?

The more the size of the site, the more the bandwidth. Why do you think people will massive traffic always opt for a VPS or a dedicated server.
Re: ..... by sheriffman(m): 12:12pm On Oct 21, 2011
unite4real:

you can visit the site www.bandwidthplace.com and do a speed test. you have to make sure no other computer or system is sharing bandwidth at that time. we call that back-to-back test. better still, you can unplug you internet cable from the network. set it up on only one computer to do this test.

Is this not for a speed test?someone pls help
Re: ..... by JUO(m): 12:15pm On Oct 21, 2011
tx and Rx (transmitted  and received data) will be added up to get your internet speed. here is another link http://speedtest.net/ make sure no activity is going during the test
Re: ..... by JUO(m): 12:23pm On Oct 21, 2011
which kind of bandwidth are u asking for?
Re: ..... by sheriffman(m): 12:26pm On Oct 21, 2011
I am interested in d bandwidth from a service provider after activation of a vsat link
Re: ..... by DualCore1: 12:34pm On Oct 21, 2011
There is a difference between connection speed (limit) and bandwidth(limit).

Connection speed: The amount of data that can be transferred (download) or received(upload) per second. (Usually measured in megabits)
Bandwidth: addition of upload and download traffic over a given period of time.

Olodostein:

Are you very sure about that? I thought your bandwidth decreases when you upload more information unto your site alone.   The number of times a user visits doesn't matter or decreases it. It is their own bandwidth that is effect. Don't you think so?

The site owner loses bandwidth and so does the visitor to the site.

So if the visitor visits the homepage he has pulled 500MB of the site's bandwidth and 500MB of his ISP's bandwidth.

When you download files and attachments you pull bandwidth of both your ISP and the site's ISP. Same applies for uploads.

I second the use of Google for mails. Saves you and the host a lot of stress and comes with all the comfort of the Gmail UI. #GoogleApps.
Re: ..... by johndavid1(m): 12:34pm On Oct 21, 2011
Dual Core:

Example 1.

Example 2:

Summary: site's upload traffic +  site's download traffic = total bandwidth used.
You suppose be Computer Science lecturer for School coz your explanation is well broken down, cool cool cool cool cool
pls can you giv me your yahoo Msn so i can ask a couple of things pls  wink wink wink wink wink
Re: ..... by Nobody: 12:39pm On Oct 21, 2011
The more the size of the site, the more the bandwidth. Why do you think people will massive traffic always opt for a VPS or a dedicated server.

I agree that the more the size of the site, the more the bandwidth. I emphasized on "the number of times users visits your websites".

Does it affects the stipulated bandwidth of the site or the bandwidth of the user browsing the site?
Re: ..... by Afam4eva(m): 12:42pm On Oct 21, 2011
Olodostein:

I agree that the more the size of the site, the more the bandwidth. I emphasized on "the number of times users visits your websites".

Does it affects the stipulated bandwidth of the site or the bandwidth of the user browsing the site?

It affects both.
Re: ..... by Nobody: 12:55pm On Oct 21, 2011
The site owner loses bandwidth and so does the visitor to the site.

So if the visitor visits the homepage he has pulled 500MB of the site's bandwidth and 500MB of his ISP's bandwidth.

When you download files and attachments you pull bandwidth of both your ISP and the site's ISP. Same applies for uploads.

I second the use of Google for mails. Saves you and the host a lot of stress and comes with all the comfort of the Gmail UI. #GoogleApps.

Oh okay. Sorry I was mistook it for Disk-space . Thanks Profs Dual Core and Afameva. I am still learning.
Re: ..... by DualCore1: 1:02pm On Oct 21, 2011
LoL John, ask your questions here.

Olodostein, simple rule. . . both parties spend bandwidth on a direct connection. More parties spend bandwidth on a proxified connection.

In a direct connection its more like your connection (your ISP) - the server - the internet connection of the server (server's ISP).

The data we want is on the server.
You make a request for a 500MB file on the server. . .

Your ISP pulls that 500MB from the server.
The server's ISP pushes that 500MB from the server and gives to you.

If the data is cached on the first download then you wont be pulling that same amount of data on subsequent visits until you clear your cache.

Example:
Youtube videos.
By the time you finish watching a youtube video for the first time you have used up a specific amount of youtube's bandwidth and your ISP has aslo used up that same amount of your bandwidth.
If you do not close that page and want to play that video again, you are not pulling any extra bandwidth as the video has been cached in a temporary location.
Re: ..... by OWOLAYEMO: 1:04pm On Oct 21, 2011
You can see that we have very few interuptions and unproductive contributions on this topic , Cos what we are discussing is pure knowledge,yes, superior knowledge!

Weldone guys.
Re: ..... by goldng: 1:07pm On Oct 21, 2011
Pls sorry, I dont intend to derail this thread. Has Anyone used or know of domain companies where payment is made with Liberty Reserve? Thank you in advance.
Re: ..... by Afam4eva(m): 1:11pm On Oct 21, 2011
goldng:

Pls sorry, I dont intend to derail this thread. Has Anyone used or know of domain companies where payment is made with Liberty Reserve? Thank you in advance.

Lovingdomains and web4africa accepts payment visa LR.
Re: ..... by paniki(m): 1:20pm On Oct 21, 2011
Ymodulus:

Am curious to know this. Sometime ago when i first used a webhost company. They say unlinited bandwidth but they are always having problem somtime your server is down sometime errors for weeks. Now i want to get another webhost and they say 20gb. Pls i want to get this how are this bandwidth calculated.

The average website size is 200kb. If 10 people visit your site then that will use up 2mb of your bandwidth. 100 visits = 20mb, 1000 visits = 200mb, 10 000 visits = 2gb, 100 000 visits = 20gb wich will be your cap.

This is assuming that your website is simple with limited flash, no high res pictures or anything to download.

People who visit your website will most likely navigate to different pages within your site. Assuming that each visitor goes to your homepage and 4 other pages with no file to download(just browsing) that will equal to 1 visitor using 200kb * 5 = 1mb of your bandwidth. 20gb is equal to 20 000mb.
Re: ..... by DualCore1: 1:29pm On Oct 21, 2011
goldng, trudigits.com accepts liberty reserve. smiley
Re: ..... by Nobody: 1:33pm On Oct 21, 2011

Olodostein, simple rule. . . both parties spend bandwidth on a direct connection. More parties spend bandwidth on a proxified connection.

In a direct connection its more like your connection (your ISP) - the server - the internet connection of the server (server's ISP).

The data we want is on the server.
You make a request for a 500MB file on the server. . .

Your ISP pulls that 500MB from the server.
The server's ISP pushes that 500MB from the server and gives to you.

If the data is cached on the first download then you wont be pulling that same amount of data on subsequent visits until you clear your cache.

Example:
Youtube videos.
By the time you finish watching a youtube video for the first time you have used up a specific amount of youtube's bandwidth and your ISP has aslo used up that same amount of your bandwidth.
If you do not close that page and want to play that video again, you are not pulling any extra bandwidth as the video has been cached in a temporary location.

That is quite an explanation. Keep it up man
Re: ..... by Nobody: 1:36pm On Oct 21, 2011
The average website size is 200kb. If 10 people visit your site then that will use up 2mb of your bandwidth. 100 visits = 20mb, 1000 visits = 200mb, 10 000 visits = 2gb, 100 000 visits = 20gb wich will be your cap.

This is assuming that your website is simple with limited flash, no high res pictures or anything to download.

People who visit your website will most likely navigate to different pages within your site. Assuming that each visitor goes to your homepage and 4 other pages with no file to download(just browsing) that will equal to 1 visitor using 200kb * 5 = 1mb of your bandwidth. 20gb is equal to 20 000mb.

Mr Paniki Einstein, Nice one. That means Youtube as a site, no bi small site ooooooo. Since it only deals on videos eeh.
Re: ..... by JUO(m): 3:34pm On Oct 21, 2011
where are the engineers in this,  do u think this is to change ram in a laptop or love-vendor phone?
come and calculate data now
Re: ..... by Baawaa(m): 4:25pm On Oct 21, 2011
@Dualcore, Pls do u deal wt VSAT equipments?
Re: ..... by Baawaa(m): 4:42pm On Oct 21, 2011

Example:
Youtube videos.
[b][/b]

Very good illustrations,anybody can confirm this.Just go to youtube try to watch a video after the loading of the video,i means the first watching.For the second time to watch it u don't need internet,inasmuch,you don't close the browser and you don't shutdown your computer.But you can hibernate your computer.
Re: ..... by luluosas(m): 5:29pm On Oct 21, 2011
Thank you all. Your contributions is opening other peoples eye. You have all done very well in this regard. Keep it up.
Re: ..... by Ymodulus: 5:55pm On Oct 21, 2011
ok. good i think i wud have to look for an unlimited bandwidth cause am scared with this analysis
Re: ..... by Afam4eva(m): 5:58pm On Oct 21, 2011
Ymodulus:

ok. good i think i wud have to look for an unlimited bandwidth cause am scared with this analysis

There's no such thing as unlimited bandwidth. Don't be decieved. if you really need loads of bandwidth just get yourself a VPS or a dedicated server.
Re: ..... by sheriffman(m): 6:06pm On Oct 21, 2011
not dual core but i do VSAT

(1) (2) (Reply)

Google Celebrates 20th Birthday Today! / .:::::: Get Paid To Post Forum! - Make Money Online | $100 In A Month ::::::. / The Real Facts About Blogging As A Career

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.