Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,783 members, 7,813,586 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:32 PM

Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness - NYSC (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness (11722 Views)

NYSC Has Outlived Its Purpose, The Government Should Do This Instead / Lai Mohammed: NYSC Has Increased COVID-19 Cases In Nigeria / NYSC Has Started Paying November Allowance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by Pootle: 1:46pm On Oct 11, 2023
you right but how those milking from the scheme go allow there source of milk dry like that
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by techycontents(m): 1:47pm On Oct 11, 2023
G
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by Antoeni(m): 1:47pm On Oct 11, 2023
The Northerners Should Stay in Their Rocky Terrorist Territories While The Southerners Should Serve in Their Rich Oil Fruitful Reguon
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by fnep2smooth(m): 1:47pm On Oct 11, 2023
Na hook up most of them they do
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by cogwuche(m): 1:48pm On Oct 11, 2023
I totally agree with you. its high time we start doing things different to get different answer
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by Nobody: 1:49pm On Oct 11, 2023
lomprico:
Let's kill it grin

You have good points though.

Scrapping NYSC entirely will throw hundreds into the labour market, NYSC staff n officials, people that produce the uniforms, those that's sell at Mami market (during orientation), transporters, etc. It will have a ripple effect on some sectors.

Not necessarily. They can be merged with other agencies but the only difference is that government wouldn't have to budget billions annually for fake rubber shoes and cheap white T-shirts, all of those funds go into private pockets anyways...
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by Angelfrost(m): 1:49pm On Oct 11, 2023
Bishop1monte:
The sole reason for nysc is to try new places new people and new language for one to understand how diverse the country is. It’s just like being in school, just like South Korea mandates you to go to the army for 1 year

That's lame... This is not South Korea.

Let the scheme be optional and not mandatory if we wish to retain it.

If given the option, many graduates won't risk traveling that far in the name of learning new languages or knowing new people... Such things are not the cup of tea of everyone.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by ednut1(m): 1:50pm On Oct 11, 2023
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_service There are developed countries doing military service
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by Otolomo1(m): 1:50pm On Oct 11, 2023
You can't just define everybody the way you know ... I have seen someone who was given fertilizer and praying keg to promote his agriculture but instead he sell it the following week ... Talkless of 💰 money,some people will choose to use the money to buy cloth rather than use it for good purpose
spiSeyi:
Most developed worlds don't do programs like NYSC which have no or little impact on the economy.
The US unemployment rate stands at 3.1%, what the government does majorly is provide grants and create entrepreneurship institutions like Silicon Valley. Elon Musk got a grant from the government to start Space X, Meta, Google, and Microsoft are all products of Silicon Valley.
Which notable entrepreneur(s) has NYSC produced that has helped to solve the country's problem None undecided
Nigeria's unemployment rate stands at 53% among the youth and 90% of Nigerian graduates go to NYSC programs. The funniest thing is that it's not the US government that is creating the employment directly, the employment is being created by those who went through the grants & funding series, and Silicon Valley.
My opinions are
1 NYSC should be replaced with compulsory 6 months of entrepreneurship programs in major areas of the economy.
2 Every successful candidate should be given a noninterest loan of 5M each to start a venture.
3 Candidates who failed the programs should go for mandatory skill acquisition for 6 months. The government should give them the necessary equipment they need for their trade and a 1M noninterest loan. (e. g. , a trained fashion designer should be provided with a sewing machine, a weepy machine, and a 1M loan)
Feel free to object to the opinions or add yours
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by Okwyjesus(m): 1:50pm On Oct 11, 2023
spiSeyi:
Most developed worlds don't do programs like NYSC which have no or little impact on the economy.
The US unemployment rate stands at 3.1%, what the government does majorly is provide grants and create entrepreneurship institutions like Silicon Valley. Elon Musk got a grant from the government to start Space X, Meta, Google, and Microsoft are all products of Silicon Valley.
Which notable entrepreneur(s) has NYSC produced that has helped to solve the country's problem None undecided
Nigeria's unemployment rate stands at 53% among the youth and 90% of Nigerian graduates go to NYSC programs. The funniest thing is that it's not the US government that is creating the employment directly, the employment is being created by those who went through the grants & funding series, and Silicon Valley.
My opinions are
1 NYSC should be replaced with compulsory 6 months of entrepreneurship programs in major areas of the economy.
2 Every successful candidate should be given a noninterest loan of 5M each to start a venture.
3 Candidates who failed the programs should go for mandatory skill acquisition for 6 months. The government should give them the necessary equipment they need for their trade and a 1M noninterest loan. (e. g. , a trained fashion designer should be provided with a sewing machine, a weepy machine, and a 1M loan)

I graduated 2010 and went to exception

Got my first job 2011 and married 2012.

Am glad l didn't waste my one year in that NYSC
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by ganye1: 1:51pm On Oct 11, 2023
I hold the same opinion. The objective of exposing young Nigerians to other parts of the country since been defeated because all the corpers are posted to serve in their zones.
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by Pootle: 1:52pm On Oct 11, 2023
tven:
Federal should give them money. Lol. They will use it to Japa. All the Doctors that enjoyed cheap education and fat allawee during NYSC have all Japa. Government should not give anyone money. Anyone that collects FG money should have his/her international passport seized and placed on travel restrictions. No one can be trusted. My opinion

grin grin
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by BluntCrazeMan: 1:56pm On Oct 11, 2023
spiSeyi:
My opinions are
No. 2 option won't work in Nigeria.

There is no way to monitor its progress, its success, or its payback.
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by tollyboy5(m): 1:58pm On Oct 11, 2023
CoronaVirusPro:
And what replaces national integration and basic paramilitary training?

Entrepreneurship can always be added to school syllabus that qualifies best performing students for interest free loans. Not scrapping NYSC.
What you mean by national integration lol. Of what benefit has that done to the lives of the youth and the economy of nigeria?

The op made a fantastic submission.
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by richeeyo(m): 1:58pm On Oct 11, 2023
tven:
Federal should give them money. Lol. They will use it to Japa. All the Doctors that enjoyed cheap education and fat allawee during NYSC have all Japa. Government should not give anyone money. Anyone that collects FG money should have his/her international passport seized and placed on travel restrictions. No one can be trusted. My opinion
You are wicked
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by Owopumpy: 1:58pm On Oct 11, 2023
[quvery correctote author=spiSeyi post=126312234]Most developed worlds don't do programs like NYSC which have no or little impact on the economy.
My opinions are
Feel free to object to the opinions or add yours[/quote]
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by raumdeuter: 1:59pm On Oct 11, 2023
Govt to give 5m loan to graduates

Bros dem force you go school? Na only graduates dey the country? What should be given to those who chose not to go to school

Abi you go share your salary with them
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by UncleAyo: 2:01pm On Oct 11, 2023
NYSC definitely usually have negative effect on the psychic of newly graduated student. They are mostly sent to teach in schools and at establishments that have nothing to do with what they study during their undergraduate programs. This experience can kill industrialism and work spirit of many graduate and render them hopeless.

To me, I believe NYSC should be modified so that:
- Camping period is a real military training period. (So participants can serve truly as part of Nigerian military reserve).
- Corp Members are posted to very relevant PPA, or at least, allowed to easily change their PPA to where is relevant to their course of study.
- Participation is voluntary and not compulsory.

Focus should be toward industrial revolution and IT revolution.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by Blitzking: 2:01pm On Oct 11, 2023
lomprico:
Let's kill it grin

You have good points though.

Scrapping NYSC entirely will throw hundreds into the labour market, NYSC staff n officials, people that produce the uniforms, those that's sell at Mami market (during orientation), transporters, etc. It will have a ripple effect on some sectors.
they will survive..hate that scheme...it should be scrapped.
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by Blitzking: 2:05pm On Oct 11, 2023
Most of my colleagues got broke during their 1 year service. Cos they had to start renting house and stuff.with their income going down by up to 70 percent.
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by nairalanda1(m): 2:05pm On Oct 11, 2023
spiSeyi:
My opinions are

I object o.

The simple reason is that NYSC is the sole provider of teachers for schools in many rural areas, NYSC also provides some professionals like in medicine and even IT for the rural areas

Scrap NYSC, and there would be no teachers in many rural schools, and many rural hospitals would lack doctors.

And people would suffer.

It's only one measly year. Sacrifice it, you will still achieve like Elon Musk after.

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by erico2k2(m): 2:07pm On Oct 11, 2023
spiSeyi:
My opinions are
It has, it should be changed to work placement for at least 2 years so that companies can identify skills and retain youth copers and also train coppers to fit todays industries!.
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by tragergeorge(m): 2:08pm On Oct 11, 2023
olakraft:
God bless you. The scheme has outlived its importance and purpose! In fact, that 1 year delay has a serious impact on those who would have furthered their education.

I mentioned the same thing yesterday when the NYSC was begging employers to make room for corps members and some kid flaunting a 3rd class degree was saying it was because I didn't serve. I'm about to get my PhD but some silly kid was flaunting NYSC as an achievement. 🥴

Watch how Nigerians will come and defend the outdated scheme and start attacking everyone as if they wouldn't have survived without 1 year "alawee" grin
well the lazy,dumb, greedy ones and almost 99% of this going for the service falls in this category....
I studied hard in school,got my degree posted to katsina State (immediately I googled only the good things about katsina State....
There is town that Christian and churches plenty pass Muslim there,,I worked my way there.. both the chirstain and Muslim living as one...
I explore,as corper i for the advantage....
That's about 11yr ago
I'll tell you right now me got me wives kids hotel and a house here...

The problem is everybody wan serve for lekki abi live for ikoyi

1 Like

Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by erico2k2(m): 2:09pm On Oct 11, 2023
nairalanda1:

I object o.

The simple reason is that NYSC is the sole provider of teachers for schools in many rural areas, NYSC also provides some professionals like in medicine and even IT for the rural areas

Scrap NYSC, and there would be no teachers in many rural schools, and many rural hospitals would lack doctors.

And people would suffer.

It's only one measly year. Sacrifice it, you will still achieve like Elon Musk after.
Well it should be restructured not to near any military drilling or Army boot camp. I think it should be extended for two years and coopers posted to areas within their disciplines

1 Like

Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by eteebanky: 2:09pm On Oct 11, 2023
tuoyoojo:
Nysc has truly outlived its usefulness

All those money paid to corpers, monies used for their feeding, clothing and all those logistics should be gathered paid to these graduates after they finish their training as the OP pointed out

But the problem is that, corruption would not make this work. Y?

Those nysc staff would become moribund if such move is actualized

If monies is paid directly to graduates, the number of ghost Corp members would skyrocket and those funds would need in private pockets

Try dy make use of your brain sometimes

If the federal government gather the whole money and give them upon graduation, do you think they'll use the money to serve the country?? Capital NO

That first thing that will ring on their mind is to JAPA

We Nigerians self, we're too selfish ooo

I noticed something, Once we gain a thing we don't want others to experience it.
Nysc didn't outlive its usefulness when you served or about to serve right?

Thunder will fire your yanch

1 Like

Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by Kukutenla: 2:10pm On Oct 11, 2023
nairalanda1:

I object o.

And people would suffer.

A capitalist suddenly wants free services and sacrifice from others
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by checky619: 2:12pm On Oct 11, 2023
NYSC is deeper than all these things you’re saying
Those who know, know.
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by Venom11(m): 2:13pm On Oct 11, 2023
Whalis:
Stop this nonsense. This is one problem we have in Nigeria once we gain a thing we don't want others to experience it.
Nysc didn't outlive its usefulness when you served isn't it?
Wicked and selfish people.
See reason... Omo
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by 9gerian: 2:15pm On Oct 11, 2023
Sounds good.

Item 1 should have an option of 6 month’s military service so that more citizens are prepped against bandits and terrorists attacks. Such people can then be easily drafted to special police or military if they choose.

Just a though.

spiSeyi:
My opinions are
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by Chasito(m): 2:15pm On Oct 11, 2023
@Op, I'm currently a corp member, you are not far from the truth, the stress & the poor living condition that corpers are subjected to is really sickening, on top of that federal govt will still delay the payment of the monthly peanut allowance , if you are not careful u fit gather debts before the end of your service year, this tatitirike that they are paying us is too low.
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by finallybusy: 2:16pm On Oct 11, 2023
This is a topic older than Nairaland. No clear resolution has come forth despite all the debates.
Re: Opinion: NYSC Has Outlived Its Usefulness by Faposky95: 2:16pm On Oct 11, 2023
Jestin:
I have said it before that NYSC should be used for a compulsory one year entrepreneurship program but Nigeria Government is brainless especially APC govt.

I said this 20 years ago citing the casual use of potential professionals coming out from school.
I saw it as a mere continuation of the struggle from school hencemany never focussed on their usefulness but on procuring a job just for relevance.
It's the reason for casual work forces...graduates for that matter...etc
The degradation, maltreatment in some locations,.....accidents, death.....etc
Scrap.
Put the resources together and pay those who do well after a compulsory service in various fields of endeavour after a period.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

NYSC BATCH C'14 ONDO STATE,LET'S MEET HERE / Why Do Females Get Job Faster Than The Males After NYSC? / 2013/ 2014 Corpers': When Are You Returning For Your January Clearance?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.