Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,506 members, 7,816,207 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:37 AM

What Is The Purpose Of Religion? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Purpose Of Religion? (1705 Views)

The Wars Of Religion / The Duration Of Courtship And Purpose Of Courtship In Christian Marriage. / Mazaje, State The Purpose Of Your Life! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Purpose Of Religion? by benodic: 11:58am On Oct 22, 2011
after going through a lot of the threads in this religion section i was forced to ask this question to all posters. what in your own opinion is the purpose of religion? and also in your own opinion is religion achieving that purpose in the world today? and if not why? and how can we make it better.
i will like opinions from everybody including atheists and satanists no body is exempted.
Re: What Is The Purpose Of Religion? by Dyt(f): 12:17pm On Oct 22, 2011
1st i ll ask u if truely u know d meanin of religion
Re: What Is The Purpose Of Religion? by benodic: 12:33pm On Oct 22, 2011
@ Dyt

1st i ll ask u if truely u know d meanin of religion

what does religion truely mean to you?
Re: What Is The Purpose Of Religion? by Dyt(f): 12:36pm On Oct 22, 2011
Dont direct dat back at me
i wan u 2 understnad wat u askd
so now wat does it mean 2 u?
Re: What Is The Purpose Of Religion? by benodic: 12:40pm On Oct 22, 2011
@ dyt

ladies first grin grin grin
Re: What Is The Purpose Of Religion? by Dyt(f): 12:42pm On Oct 22, 2011
u must b a confused fellow
Re: What Is The Purpose Of Religion? by benodic: 12:48pm On Oct 22, 2011
@ dyt

u must b a confused fellow

how did you know? grin grin grin ; you must be a prophet. grin grin grin

thanks all the same.
Re: What Is The Purpose Of Religion? by Sweetnecta: 12:59pm On Oct 22, 2011
Allah says in His book [the Quran]; 'And I did not create the Jinni and Mankind, except to worship Me. No sustenance do I ask of them'.

This verse in surah Ghafir in the Ha Mim family of Surahs has done two things, if not more;

1]. A need for a way to know how to worship Him, being the sole purpose of our creation.
    that way has to be consistent from the first man to the last man, both in core belief, process and even in name to identify it correctly.
    that way is religion, which He had sent school of carriers of that way and its instructions, from time to time to human communities as needed.
    the carriers, being messengers and or prophets [as] must be practitioners of this same religion the only way to God.

2]. The fact that God says He does not need any sustenance from any one shows that those who eat, needing supports or given food to is not God.
    This therefore shows that holy ghost who is an errant entity is not God. Jesus who ate among other human functioning things was not God.
    idols who idolaters sacrifice to are not God. What you make with your hands or can completely imagine or comprehend, etc, is not God.
    what has logical limitation in human eyes,  is not God. Though God restricts Himself from doing something not befitting Him is not a limitation.

3]. Religion, the true religion and the false religions have many values; sense of belonging to a specific spirituality, a community of brotherhood with
    the worshipers. It rightly or wrongly provides a direction [Qibla], a belonging, a purpose and clear reason for life, giving meaning to living. For
    example the christians are not being charitable out of the whims of their hearts, but basing their kind gesture on who they take as their spiritual
    leader. The muslims have this same reason for being charitable, command from God and example of Muhammad [as]. If people can go back and
    draw even more from the examples of their spiritual leaders, using the spiritual textbooks as guide[s], the world will be more peaceful with less
    strife.
Re: What Is The Purpose Of Religion? by benodic: 1:12pm On Oct 22, 2011
@ sweetnectar

thanks a lot for your wonderful post.
from what i could deduce from your post Religion can be seen as means of bringing us closer to God our creator. but the question is, is it really achieving that purpose. if not why?

If people can go back and draw even more from the examples of their spiritual leaders, using the spiritual textbooks as guide[s], the world will be more peaceful with less
strife.

this one i like. but another question is why is it that people do not like doing this?
Re: What Is The Purpose Of Religion? by Sweetnecta: 2:08pm On Oct 22, 2011
the apparent lack of its achieving the purpose and why people are not going back to drink from the sources of their religions, have the same essential reason; human weakness/weak nature in resisting what seemingly pleasing, but in truth ugly and dangerous to total self; the soul, the mind both intangible and the heart and whole body both known quantities.

what influences man to do evil, not staying far away from it, is the weakness to listen and then accept the suggestion of the whisperer, satan.

so you see people who in spite of saying that they are from a spirituality, are worse in some deeds than those who reject faith outright. Religion and morality are tossed aside when one embark on expedition whose outcome is termed evil, from the basis human instinct.
Re: What Is The Purpose Of Religion? by NegroNtns(m): 2:57pm On Oct 22, 2011
@topic,

God commanded "WORSHIP", not "religion". Religion is a veil, it is a discrimination barrier to identify who belongs within the fold of an identified coalition, the "US" syndrome! Those within the US membership receive privileges that must be denied to others. WORSHIP serves mankind but religion serves members of US.
Re: What Is The Purpose Of Religion? by Sweetnecta: 4:26pm On Oct 22, 2011
^^ so how do you offer correct worship, if it is not through the tenets of true religion of God?
Re: What Is The Purpose Of Religion? by benodic: 7:28pm On Oct 22, 2011
@ sweetnecta

nice one again. Human base nature is the stumbling block that stops one forming the discipline of drinking from the fountain of knowledge that leads to enlightenment.
Does that mean then that the enemy is not out there but lies within us? Shouldn't we then be taking the battle to our negative nature?
Have you been doing this? What results have you been getting ? I would like your further input.
Re: What Is The Purpose Of Religion? by Jenwitemi(m): 9:27pm On Oct 22, 2011
Sweetnecta, how can you and your islamic scripture say that your Allah does not need any sustenance from humans when HE clearly NEEDS their WORSHIP? Heck, he CREATED humans just to worship him, according to your scriptures! Is that WORSHIP not sustenance? If allah truly needs no sustenance from humans, then he wouldn't have created  them just purely to worship him, for WORSHIP = ALLAH'S SUSTENANCE, man. Allah needs sustenance and that is through WORSHIP. FACT!
Sweetnecta:

Allah says in His book [the Quran]; 'And I did not create the Jinni and Mankind, except to worship Me. No sustenance do I ask of them'.

This verse in surah Ghafir in the Ha Mim family of Surahs has done two things, if not more;

1]. A need for a way to know how to worship Him, being the sole purpose of our creation.
    that way has to be consistent from the first man to the last man, both in core belief, process and even in name to identify it correctly.
    that way is religion, which He had sent school of carriers of that way and its instructions, from time to time to human communities as needed.
    the carriers, being messengers and or prophets [as] must be practitioners of this same religion the only way to God.

2]. The fact that God says He does not need any sustenance from any one shows that those who eat, needing supports or given food to is not God.
    This therefore shows that holy ghost who is an errant entity is not God. Jesus who ate among other human functioning things was not God.
    idols who idolaters sacrifice to are not God. What you make with your hands or can completely imagine or comprehend, etc, is not God.
    what has logical limitation in human eyes,  is not God. Though God restricts Himself from doing something not befitting Him is not a limitation.

3]. Religion, the true religion and the false religions have many values; sense of belonging to a specific spirituality, a community of brotherhood with
    the worshipers. It rightly or wrongly provides a direction [Qibla], a belonging, a purpose and clear reason for life, giving meaning to living. For
    example the christians are not being charitable out of the whims of their hearts, but basing their kind gesture on who they take as their spiritual
    leader. The muslims have this same reason for being charitable, command from God and example of Muhammad [as]. If people can go back and
    draw even more from the examples of their spiritual leaders, using the spiritual textbooks as guide[s], the world will be more peaceful with less
    strife.
Re: What Is The Purpose Of Religion? by benodic: 9:39pm On Oct 22, 2011
@ jenwitemi

since you are not okay with what sweetnecta posted about God needing us to worship It. Then what is your own opinion about the purpose of Religion? Why did God create us then?
Re: What Is The Purpose Of Religion? by Jenwitemi(m): 10:04pm On Oct 22, 2011
In my own view, we were created to learn and grow in all aspects via the experiences we're having throughout our earthly lifetime. The CREATOR does not need our WORSHIP other than for us to experience and learn. That is all. Experience, learn and evolve. Only entities with EGOS desire worship and they are mostly malevolent towards human beings.

As for the purpose of religions, or should i say, the purpose they are suppose to have? They were supposed to help us with our spiritual evolution by helping us get back our lost link to the CREATOR within us, and not to the fake ones(Allah/Yahweh/Jehovah/Jesus) which are outside of us.   

benodic:

@ jenwitemi

since you are not okay with what sweetnecta posted about God needing us to worship It. Then what is your own opinion about the purpose of Religion? Why did God create us then?
Re: What Is The Purpose Of Religion? by Sweetnecta: 10:56pm On Oct 22, 2011
@Jenwitemi: « #13 on: Today at 09:27:07 PM »
[Quote]Sweetnecta, how can you and your islamic scripture say that your Allah does not need any sustenance from humans when HE clearly NEEDS their WORSHIP? Heck, he CREATED humans just to worship him, according to your scriptures! Is that WORSHIP not sustenance? If allah truly needs no sustenance from humans, then he wouldn't have created them just purely to worship him, for WORSHIP = ALLAH'S SUSTENANCE, man. Allah needs sustenance and that is through WORSHIP. FACT![/Quote]Sustenance is nourishment. It is very clear that Allah does not nourishment, considering the fact that Jinni and insi [mankind] are not the only creation. Angels are more in obedience, in fact it is absolute obedience. So are other creations. Only Jinni and Insi [mankind] that are given "freewill", so that worship is practicing obedience, and not because they way they have been programmed.

If Jinni and or Insi {mankind] do/does not worship Him, there is no demising of His Supreme Position. Worship, because of freewill is a test of obedience and there is reward for it.
Re: What Is The Purpose Of Religion? by Jenwitemi(m): 11:07pm On Oct 22, 2011
Your Allah needs nourishment, dude. That is why "HE" needs the amount of worship and rituals he demands from every muslim. What? 4 times praying per day? That is heavy worshiping rituals, mate. You think all that is for nothing? WORSHIP = NOURISHMENT for Mr Allah, mate. Whenever you worship, praise and pray to a deity, you give away your psychic energy which your Allah is sucking up in the background. That is what sustains Allah. That is what happens when you are in the mosque or at home with your face on the floor, you give away your psychic energy to a malevolent being who then turn around and use it to cause havoc in your world creating a "devil's cycle". That is why all temples, mosques and churches have ALTARS, a place to focus your attention on, hence all your psychic energy, All fake gods demand worship. All of them. And they are all malevolent, evil.
Sweetnecta:

@Jenwitemi: « #13 on: Today at 09:27:07 PM »Sustenance is nourishment. It is very clear that Allah does not nourishment, considering the fact that Jinni and insi [mankind] are not the only creation. Angels are more in obedience, in fact it is absolute obedience. So are other creations. Only Jinni and Insi [mankind] that are given "freewill", so that worship is practicing obedience, and not because they way they have been programmed.

If Jinni and or Insi {mankind] do/does not worship Him, there is no demising of His Supreme Position. Worship, because of freewill is a test of obedience and there is reward for it.
Re: What Is The Purpose Of Religion? by Sweetnecta: 11:10pm On Oct 22, 2011
@Benodic: « #12 on: Today at 07:28:34 PM »
[Quote]@ sweetnecta

nice one again. Human base nature is the stumbling block that stops one forming the discipline of drinking from the fountain of knowledge that leads to enlightenment.
Does that mean then that the enemy is not out there but lies within us? Shouldn't we then be taking the battle to our negative nature?[/Quote]Absolutely. The enemy is within; the presence of evil persuasion. We will call this the suggestions of Satan and his legion of army. They will not force you. But they argue against the good part of you, in effort that you allow the not so good part, in deeds and actions or speech rise up and dominate. It is always a moment in time.

[Quote]Have you been doing this? What results have you been getting ? I would like your further input.[/Quote]It is a struggle and its easier to resist now that I am older, based on experience and clear assurance that I will one day die and and will be raised up for accounting. I have surrounded myself with friends who have the same spiritual direction. This is a way apart for my experience that I set a boundary for myself, God helping me that this is my safety net. People know my routine and I have tried not to sway away, especially since i know what my tests are, my weaknesses. I stay away from them. My focus is my after life, while I get the best of this life, based on the resources that God provides, without any illegality of my own.
Re: What Is The Purpose Of Religion? by Sweetnecta: 11:12pm On Oct 22, 2011
I know that you are a playa, mr. jenwitemi.

it is a waste of my time tlking to playaz. Its magrib. I will not bother with your single mindedness.

Good night, mehn.
Re: What Is The Purpose Of Religion? by Jenwitemi(m): 11:18pm On Oct 22, 2011
I don't know what you mean by "playa", mate. I am just giving you correct and deeply esoteric information about your religion and about the deity you worship on daily basis. I will end it here because it really is not what this thread is about. Cheers. smiley

(1) (Reply)

Christ Spotted! / Heard Of Goldie's Death And smiled in pain / Why Does Our Society Frown At Adultery But Normalise Fornication

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.