Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,119 members, 7,849,497 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 10:41 PM

I Was Expelled By Ana Osun For My Steadfast Backing Of Camillus Ukah - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / I Was Expelled By Ana Osun For My Steadfast Backing Of Camillus Ukah (145 Views)

Ibadan Book Club Congratulates Camillus Ukah On Pawa Award / Camillus Ukah, Ana President To Receive Pawa Award / Ana President, Camillus Ukah Promises To Consolidate On Achievements (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I Was Expelled By Ana Osun For My Steadfast Backing Of Camillus Ukah by synw: 8:38am On Oct 14, 2023
I WAS EXPELLED BY ANA OSUN FOR MY STEADFAST BACKING OF CAMILLUS UKAH, WITHOUT EVER ATTEMPTING TO DIVIDE ANA – WOLE ADEDOYIN
Recently, I came across allegations suggesting that I played a role in factionalizing the Association of Nigerian Authors (ANA), with specific mention of my involvement in dividing ANA Osun chapter. I want to categorically state that these claims are untrue. I have always been committed to promoting unity and solidarity within ANA. In fact, ANA Osun holds a special place in my heart, which is why I dedicated my efforts and resources to revive it when it faced a period of stagnation, devoid of any literary activities or events for two years. My actions have consistently been geared towards the preservation and enhancement of ANA's unity, not its division.
My conflict with ANA Osun began in 2019 when I started supporting the outgoing President of ANA, who expressed interest in running for the ANA Presidency. During Denja Abdulahi's term as President, the outgoing ANA President was Denja’s Vice President, and I served as the National Publicity (South) of the Association of Nigerian Authors (ANA). I was part of the team chosen to work with Camillus Ukah's Presidency. At that time, I intended to run for my second term as ANA PRO South.
To my surprise, I discovered that ANA Osun Chapter, led by Mr. Muriola Awosemo, had aligned itself with Camillus Ukah's main opponent. I was shocked to find out at the convention that ANA Osun had endorsed another candidate for the same position, effectively replacing me. Prior to this, Camillus Ukah had campaigned in ANA Osun, and they had all pledged their support to him. However, things took a different turn at the convention. A close friend from the chapter informed me a day before our arrival in Enugu that ANA Osun had chosen another candidate to replace me and that they would all be voting for Camillus’s opponent. According to him, I was the only ANA Osun member supporting Camillus Ukah, causing a division within the chapter.
At the convention, it took us more than an hour to resolve this issue. Unfortunately, the election did not take place, and their plans ultimately failed.
Regardless of the numerous threats I faced, I stood firm in my support for Mr. Camillus Ukah's candidacy. Guided by the counsel of Mallam Denja Abdulahi, I continued to issue statements, challenging those who were attempting to undermine Mr. Ukah and ANA.
A few weeks later, I came across information on various social media platforms revealing that certain chapters supporting Mr. Camillus Ukah's main rival, including the Osun State Chapter, had organized an unlawful election and declared their candidate the winner. I distinctly recall being at our family home in Ilesa when I stumbled upon this news. In response, I drafted a statement condemning their actions, which can be found at this link: https://thenationonlineng.net/crisis-tears-ana-apart/.
Prior to this incident, the ANA Osun, led by Mr. Muriola Awosemo, had ceased inviting me to their meetings.
I later discovered that my contact information had been deliberately removed from the members' mailing list due to my support for Mr. Camillus Ukah. Upon learning this, I confronted Mr. Muriola Awosemo, who shifted the blame onto the PRO. When I confronted the PRO, he failed to provide a reasonable explanation. It became evident to me that I had been excluded, solely because I supported Camillus.
In response, I protested my removal from the chapter's mailing list, reminding them of my past contributions. I had arranged for the only surviving son of the late D.O. Fagunwa, Mr. Diipo Fagunwa, to be a special guest at one of their monthly readings. Additionally, I had recruited new members and consistently ensured the venue was clean before monthly readings, a fact known to Mr. Muriola Awosemo. I had also taken the initiative to create a Facebook account and a WhatsApp group for the chapter. Despite all my efforts, I found myself unjustly barred from participating in the chapter's activities.
Regardless of their actions, I persevered in canvassing and mobilizing support for Mr. Camillus Ukah while awaiting the final decisions from the ANA Board of Trustees and the Advisory Council. The absence of a chapter left me feeling isolated, yet I pressed on.
Finally, the ANA Board of Trustees delivered their verdict, deciding that a new election should take place in Benue. In summary, it was during this election that Mr. Camillus Ukah emerged as the President of the Association of Nigerian Authors (ANA).
Two weeks later, I discovered that I had been unlawfully removed from the chapter without any disciplinary committee being set up to investigate my actions. This information was revealed in the public release, stating that I was dismissed due to my unwavering support for Mr. Camillus Ukah. Despite my efforts to reconcile with the ANA Osun Chapter under Muriola Awosemo's leadership, I was consistently denied any opportunity for resolution.
I spent a year without a chapter until the intervention of the ANA President and some prominent elders in the southwest region who encouraged me to establish a new chapter. With the support of God and fellow authors, I successfully established a new chapter in Osun, which is now active. However, the chapter faced a standstill for two years, devoid of any reading activities or literary events. This stagnation was caused by a single individual, a matter I will address later.
I found it amusing when the Chairman of another chapter accused me of removing the former Chairman of our chapter. In truth, it was a decision made during a congress, in accordance with the Association's constitution. Fortunately, I, along with other dedicated members, intervened and revitalized the chapter. Currently, ANA Osun operates under a Caretaker Committee, led by Mrs. Nikeagbeja Adesanya, an accomplished author with more than ten published works to her name.

(1) (Reply)

How You Can Make At Least 100k Weekly By Writing For Foreign Companies / African Human Rights Art Contest / IWA Advocates For Mother Language Integration In Education And Society

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.