Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,454 members, 7,830,243 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:33 PM

What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items (35588 Views)

CBN To Intervene In Forex Market, Lifts Ban On 43 Items / CBN Reiterates Stance On FX Access, ‘status Quo Remains On 43 Non-eligible items / Forex Restriction Threatens Over 50,000 Jobs In Dairy Sector (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by Funkyswagzz(m): 4:08pm On Oct 15, 2023
JagabanB:

Somehow a Nigerian thinks governance is about party, the party doesn't decide what happens, the individual called the president does.
INEC didn't force them on Nigerians, they won election that ur candidate lost.
Nîgeriàns made their choice and their choice is not your candidate.

If you say this with your full chest I can only say may Nigeria happen to you and ur family IJN.
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by skj1377(m): 4:09pm On Oct 15, 2023
The government should simply remove Nigeria from the world trade organisation. Reach agreement on currency value with individual countries and do business with those countries.
This policy is not bad as it will reduce the value of the Naira even further which will equally drive up the cost of imported items. The good news is any smart business man will embark on local production with minimal foreign inputs . This will give him a price advantage over forgine competition.
Example imported cement may be N1500 . Local cement will have to reduce their profiteering and sell at N1400 to gain sales. Same as local rice. Why sell local rice higher than important rice? How much dollar did the rice take to grow in Nigeria? Or did they pay dollar for the rain that fell on it?. If imported rice is sold at N10,000 local rice will have to reduce to N9000 or close down their factory.
Nigerians tend to exploit each other at the slightest opportunity. With all the restrictions Naira lost value and things only became far more expensive. Removal of restrictions is ok let things get cheaper.

2 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by IyaTola: 4:10pm On Oct 15, 2023
BoldBrainz:

If I am a cement supplier with enough naira to stock 5000 bags of cement, I can survey the market and see where I can buy it cheaper. If BUA cement here in Nigeria gives me a bag for 3500 plus the transportation to my warehouse and I compare it with the price outside Nigeria, I can decide to import those 5000 bags from another country (if I get the same cement quality for 3400 plus delivery to my warehouse) and by the time it arrives, I'll supply to retailers at 4000 naira.

That effectively puts competition in the cement market. I'll be selling to retailers at 4K plus delivery while the other man who is buying from BUA will sell for 4,200 plus delivery. Naturally, I'll have more patronage and BUA will be compelled by their loss of patronage to me, to reduce their price to flow with the market.

Ordinarily, that's how it should be. But this is Nigeria and this move has the potential to backfire. I spent an entire night reading and researching on it.

You too pessimistic jare
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by Bravepenis: 4:11pm On Oct 15, 2023
blabulu2000:
is the definition of Settler colonialism and the "Lebensraum" project of the Zikist Igbos over the rest of Nigeria most especially Yorubaland.

They tell you to join them to k:ill Yoruba political leaders in order to create a new Nigeria but replace them with who? Igbos of course!
For every Gbajabiamila you remove, they will be replaced by one kenechukwu Osuji.

They are ready to burn down Nigeria than to stop their morbid, rabid and toxic obsession for political power in Yorubaland at all cost.

While Ahmadu Bello and Obafemi Awolowo were advocating for regional or confederal Nigeria, Zik was advocating for a unitarist constitution and system of government before 1960. Azikwe wanted his people to rule Yorubaland badly that he was ready to create chaos in Nigeria to achieve that.

Till today, the sons of Zik still publicly cvrse Awolowo for stopping their patriarch from Igbonizing YORUBALAND. What Zik could not achieve by becoming the premier of Yorubaland, he started implementing it through federal power. He used his power in the federal government to start appointing Igbos as the Vice chancellors of universities in Lagos and Ibadan. The railway corporations in the West was heavily igbonized and federal offices in the Western region was filled with Azikiwe's kinsmen. Imagine what this ma:d man would have done if he had access to the keys of the treasury in the western region? The chaos Azikwe created in Yorubaland was so much to the extent that Awolowo had to start building a Yoruba university from the scratch currently called Obafemi Awolowo University in Ile Ife.

Those who assasinated Aare Ladoke Akintola at the political capital of YORUBALAND in Ibadan, so that they can pave way for the current unitary system of government that has ravaged the lives of ethnic nationalities within Nigeria are currently scheming at every elections on how to take over political offices and power from Yoruba people in Yorubaland.

This is the definition of evil. While their current leader Peter Obi who is nothing but a empty nu:isnace continues to incite anarchy against the president of Nigeria who is a Yoruba man, another local Peter Obi like Kenechukwu Osuji is scheming to replace Femi Gbajabiamila. All their lives, they have always coveted anything the Yoruba people have or possess. Our land, our waters, resources, our culture, our heritage, our economic space, political space and even our dressings should be theirs by lies, propaganda or hiding under one Nigeria.

The problem is that, these Zikists don't know when to stop. That is why any sane and right thinking individual will understand that the biggest beneficiaries of the current unitary system of government are Igbos. This is because it gives unfettered access to the economic and political spaces of other ethnic nations outside their ethnic space. The same people who quickly formed ESN against "Fulanis" because of the protection of the political and economic space in Igboland will tell you 1000 and 1 reasons why kenechukwu must be Governor of Lagos state and why Shinedu must be the senator of Ogun state.

The ethnic minorities talkless of the Hausa-Fulanis will not condone this evil in their midst.

Nigeria is an ethnically heterogeneous country made up of different Geopolitical zones and the Southwest will not be the victim of the machinations and Zionist settler colonialist agenda of Zikist Igbos who sponsor constant Yoruba hate on social media and orthodox media in Nigeria.

All Yorubas within the Southwest and outside the Southwest of Nigeria should come together to see the evil that is unfolding once again in YORUBALAND.

We are dealing with a group who believe that their roadmap to political power in Nigeria is to deyorubanize Yoruba states and space by capturing political power from the Indigenous Yoruba population by lies, subterfuge, uncontrolled migration, unitary system of government or by cloning themselves into Yoruba politics by adopting Yoruba names

Now, I give you a 🎤 to tell us how you feel about this your tribalistic write up
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by kenny714433(m): 4:15pm On Oct 15, 2023
kokakola:
This is a step in the right direction if they have plans for the Economy and Local industries in their short and long term plans.
The last administration failed with their policy by putting the cart before the horse and with selfish policies. I hope going forward we'll get things right, irrespective of who is in power.
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by SpockFederation: 4:16pm On Oct 15, 2023
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by Nyceguy92: 4:19pm On Oct 15, 2023
The simple economics is ban or restrict the importation of items that can be produced enough locally, or that do not add value to the economy, e.g. toothpicks.

Cement and other buildings materials are very important to Nigerians. So is rice. Do we produce enough that is also cheap?

This brings us to the crux of the matter: CONSUMPTION vs PRODUCTION.
In order to revive a the closed industries, we need to invest in regular power supply,

CBN may do all the policy summersault they want, but without factories producing the banned items,
the problem will still remain.
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by femicyrus(m): 4:21pm On Oct 15, 2023
So you will collect forex legally, use it to import rice then customs will seize it at the border.

Are we normal?

1 Like

Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by DMerciful(m): 4:22pm On Oct 15, 2023
The elections were rigged! That was why IREV was shutdown to prevent electronic transmission and force manual collation overnight where results are usually changed
JagabanB:

Somehow a Nigerian thinks governance is about party, the party doesn't decide what happens, the individual called the president does.
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by PHAYOL81: 4:23pm On Oct 15, 2023
Good policies on paper and I honestly hope it effects the good change we aspire
GOD BLESS PRESIDENT TINUBU GOD BLESS NIGERIA
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by Otolomo1(m): 4:24pm On Oct 15, 2023
Your
Son
Will
Not
Die
🧠🧠🧠
JagabanB:

Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by IyaTola: 4:26pm On Oct 15, 2023
They cannot meet loca consumption as we approach the festive period.
Penguin2:
Placing FX restrictions on these products was well intentioned but I guess other variables made it become unattainable for now.

The CBN is therefore right to lift the restriction for now so that the importers of those items will not be putting pressure in the black market which adds pressure to the Naira.

It’s an intricate situation really.
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by deavicky(m): 4:30pm On Oct 15, 2023
In all the grammar can I now buy something on line with my master card?.
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by sanya4good(m): 4:34pm On Oct 15, 2023
Our national legislators should just make laws that will compel every one who has been importing particular products for like 10 years or more into the country to begin processes of collaborating with the foreign producers to setup industries here in the country to manufacture such goods.

1 Like

Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by Nyanabo(m): 4:36pm On Oct 15, 2023
If BDC's are banned the naira to begin it's upward recovery. More than 70% of every foreign currency coming into this country are being grabbed by this set of people.

We are seeing millions of Foreign cash flow into the country, but this monies are not accounted for by the system.
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by GoodGovernance: 4:39pm On Oct 15, 2023
Artiiclebeast:
Rigmarolic trial and error government and CBN.

Suppose they've struggled to meet the FOREX demands despite these initially exempted 43 items. How do they intend to meet the demand with these extra 43 coming on board to pile pressure on the never-available FOREX further?

Voodoo economists playing ping pong with the economy and lives of the citizens under the direct supervision of their slave masters at BRETTON WOODS (IMF, WORLD BANK, etc).

Mark this comment.

They'll still reverse this decision and re-ban these items.

Good commentary.

Only clowns would expect prices to come down, amidst forex scarcity and imported inflation.

And only the foolish ,would expect local production boost, amidst market flooded with imported finished goods.
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by barinedan(m): 4:44pm On Oct 15, 2023
Apc banned, APC lifted the ban, party of confusion and confusionists
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by SirLakes: 4:48pm On Oct 15, 2023
Na the same grammar we speak so tey dollars enter N1000+ grin
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by Dest8sman: 4:48pm On Oct 15, 2023
blabulu2000:
is the definition of Settler colonialism and the "Lebensraum" project of the Zikist Igbos over the rest of Nigeria most especially Yorubaland.

They tell you to join them to k:ill Yoruba political leaders in order to create a new Nigeria but replace them with who? Igbos of course!
For every Gbajabiamila you remove, they will be replaced by one kenechukwu Osuji.

They are ready to burn down Nigeria than to stop their morbid, rabid and toxic obsession for political power in Yorubaland at all cost.

While Ahmadu Bello and Obafemi Awolowo were advocating for regional or confederal Nigeria, Zik was advocating for a unitarist constitution and system of government before 1960. Azikwe wanted his people to rule Yorubaland badly that he was ready to create chaos in Nigeria to achieve that.

Till today, the sons of Zik still publicly cvrse Awolowo for stopping their patriarch from Igbonizing YORUBALAND. What Zik could not achieve by becoming the premier of Yorubaland, he started implementing it through federal power. He used his power in the federal government to start appointing Igbos as the Vice chancellors of universities in Lagos and Ibadan. The railway corporations in the West was heavily igbonized and federal offices in the Western region was filled with Azikiwe's kinsmen. Imagine what this ma:d man would have done if he had access to the keys of the treasury in the western region? The chaos Azikwe created in Yorubaland was so much to the extent that Awolowo had to start building a Yoruba university from the scratch currently called Obafemi Awolowo University in Ile Ife.

Those who assasinated Aare Ladoke Akintola at the political capital of YORUBALAND in Ibadan, so that they can pave way for the current unitary system of government that has ravaged the lives of ethnic nationalities within Nigeria are currently scheming at every elections on how to take over political offices and power from Yoruba people in Yorubaland.

This is the definition of evil. While their current leader Peter Obi who is nothing but a empty nu:isnace continues to incite anarchy against the president of Nigeria who is a Yoruba man, another local Peter Obi like Kenechukwu Osuji is scheming to replace Femi Gbajabiamila. All their lives, they have always coveted anything the Yoruba people have or possess. Our land, our waters, resources, our culture, our heritage, our economic space, political space and even our dressings should be theirs by lies, propaganda or hiding under one Nigeria.

The problem is that, these Zikists don't know when to stop. That is why any sane and right thinking individual will understand that the biggest beneficiaries of the current unitary system of government are Igbos. This is because it gives unfettered access to the economic and political spaces of other ethnic nations outside their ethnic space. The same people who quickly formed ESN against "Fulanis" because of the protection of the political and economic space in Igboland will tell you 1000 and 1 reasons why kenechukwu must be Governor of Lagos state and why Shinedu must be the senator of Ogun state.

The ethnic minorities talkless of the Hausa-Fulanis will not condone this evil in their midst.

Nigeria is an ethnically heterogeneous country made up of different Geopolitical zones and the Southwest will not be the victim of the machinations and Zionist settler colonialist agenda of Zikist Igbos who sponsor constant Yoruba hate on social media and orthodox media in Nigeria.

All Yorubas within the Southwest and outside the Southwest of Nigeria should come together to see the evil that is unfolding once again in YORUBALAND.

We are dealing with a group who believe that their roadmap to political power in Nigeria is to deyorubanize Yoruba states and space by capturing political power from the Indigenous Yoruba population by lies, subterfuge, uncontrolled migration, unitary system of government or by cloning themselves into Yoruba politics by adopting Yoruba names

Yorubas are expert in reverse psychology. They were the ones against unitary government yet, they made sure all the federal agencies and parastatals in Nigeria are in Lagos while none is in zik's Igboland. Yorubas wanted to opt out of Nigeria just because Awolowo lost election, they equally created OPC (Oodua People's Congress) to fight Nigerian when Abiola lost election, but now are condemning Igbos because Igbos said they don't want to be Nigerians as the type of government practiced in the country doesn't favour them. Yorubas had and have being campaigning since time immemorial to make sure Igbos and the South South do not cooperate so that they can milk the South South which they have succeeded by making sure all the oil companies are headquartered in Yorubaland. And when oil was discovered in Lagos, Yorubas openly told everybody they will not make the same mistake the South South made. Yorubas have destroyed the best government in Nigeria, enthroned and defended a senile as the head of government, and now, sacrificed their own wellbeing just to make sure they dominate Nigeria by having one of their own in the helm of affairs even if the person is of questionable character. I have saved this write up and will use it to educate my children.
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by Ishilove: 4:51pm On Oct 15, 2023
Meanwhile the hopeless Nigerian customs were haunting clearing agents and importers for bringing in rice. Ignorant mofos
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by Rowj: 4:54pm On Oct 15, 2023
JagabanB:

please tell them, I stop to comment since I discovered that we always politicize everything we seems not to see good things coming from another party, tribe or religion,,,, so bad.
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by emmyN(m): 4:56pm On Oct 15, 2023
Policy summersault
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by BoldBrainz(m): 4:57pm On Oct 15, 2023
IyaTola:
You too pessimistic jare

Oya wait na😂!

As na my pessimism make naira dey open legs like ashawo for badagry make dollar dey fvck am with craze so, you go soon see am. Na here we dey!
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by Khyrvxjzy: 4:59pm On Oct 15, 2023
IyaTola:
Those items would reduce as the prices in the market as the flood Nigeria market in coming months

it well
am hearing rice is already coming down
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by sulaak(m): 5:02pm On Oct 15, 2023
Dogalmighty17:

BUHARI WAS AN ILLITERATE WITH HIS IMPORT RESTRICTION POLICIES. HE KILLED NIGERIA.

Every economy has things it produces cheaper than other countries. So it is advisable to dwell on what you can cheaply produce and import what another country can produce cheaper. Import restriction policies are failed policies. Nigeria will never be able to produce rice cheaper than India and Thailand can. Restricting imports only forces the prices of inadequate local supply to rise. Just as we have seen local rice do. Multiply this scenario across a number of other sectors and then you understand what damage Buhari really did.

The ban on poultry importation pushed so many people into poultry business. This created a huge demand for poultry feed that the feed making companies in Nigeria still can't meet with. The result, high price of feeds, which leads to high price of birds and eggs at the point of sale. The present price of a crate of eggs is twice what it was at the end of Jonathans tenure.

Nigeria has too many built-in economic efficiencies. We do not have the knowledge base for tertiary industries and secondary even. We can't drive a 21st century economy primarily on subsistence industry. Government can't keep paying lip service to science and technology and expect things should change. It is far easier to steal and which is what our political class have done and keep doing. I have nothing but utter contempt for them.

So you would rather import products that you can produce, then wonder why millions of Nigerians are out of work because there are no jobs.

You would rather waste limited FX importing products that you can produce, so what will Nigeria export for FX to fund the import? The import restriction has witnessed significant investment in meat, poultry, refineries and steel investment, but the lack of poultry feed is a supply chain problem.
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by Rowj: 5:03pm On Oct 15, 2023
blabulu2000:

oil they your head. They always believe they are best in everything. They believe they have sense more than everyone.
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by warlordd(m): 5:05pm On Oct 15, 2023
[quote author=Akwamkpuruamu post=126418441]Double edged, confused government.

The restriction aimed at reducing foreign exchange demand for products that could be locally produced, improve employment generation and conserve foreign reserves.

Your last paragraph op, negates this. Eg, Local rice goes for around 50k per bag now. Imported rice will hardly cross 35k/bag. How will the local rice factory generate employment, if not to pack up?

This importation increase will make all competing loca
That's better! Good riddance to bad rubbish. The local producers are wicked.

1 Like

Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by oluwasegun007(m): 5:12pm On Oct 15, 2023
All this items no go get impact until cars join the list grin

1 Like

Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by Rowj: 5:12pm On Oct 15, 2023
Dogalmighty17:
Believe the rubbish above at your peril. What business does the cbn have with the parallel market? The parallel market exists simply as a result of the failure of the CBN to make dollars available so people have to source for dollars elsewhere. The simple truth is that Nigeria is not earning enough dollars. The profligacy and wastefulness of the Jonathan and Buhari government is beginning to catch up with us.

The billions of dollars being stolen from this country has brought Nigeria to its knees. Instead of addressing the thieves, the APC and PDP rather chose to embark on borrowing mindlessly. These loans have to be paid back and serviced in dollars. Presently 96% of Nigerias earnings are channeled into debt servicing. Which useless and stupid CBN governor has been in charge for the past 12 years? That fool Emiefele.

There is nothing the CBN can do now. The present CBN governor is very senseless with this poorly thought out policy. There are better ways to seek harmonization of both the parallel and official market. In the first place, it is even wrong that selling of currency is even a business. That is a very fundamental failure for any Central Bank.
If the CBN can't guarantee availability of dollars in the official market then this policy is as useless as it comes. The parallel market only responds to the official market. The dollar didn't cross 1000 naira until Tinubu came up with a supposed harmonization policy. We all see what a disaster that has become.

BUHARI WAS AN ILLITERATE WITH HIS IMPORT RESTRICTION POLICIES. HE KILLED NIGERIA.

Every economy has things it produces cheaper than other countries. So it is advisable to dwell on what you can cheaply produce and import what another country can produce cheaper. Import restriction policies are failed policies. Nigeria will never be able to produce rice cheaper than India and Thailand can. Restricting imports only forces the prices of inadequate local supply to rise. Just as we have seen local rice do. Multiply this scenario across a number of other sectors and then you understand what damage Buhari really did.

The ban on poultry importation pushed so many people into poultry business. This created a huge demand for poultry feed that the feed making companies in Nigeria still can't meet with. The result, high price of feeds, which leads to high price of birds and eggs at the point of sale. The present price of a crate of eggs is twice what it was at the end of Jonathans tenure.

Nigeria has too many built-in economic efficiencies. We do not have the knowledge base for tertiary industries and secondary even. We can't drive a 21st century economy primarily on subsistence industry. Government can't keep paying lip service to science and technology and expect things should change. It is far easier to steal and which is what our political class have done and keep doing. I have nothing but utter contempt for them.
you too get sense, keep it up
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by ednut1(m): 5:16pm On Oct 15, 2023
SeaTrade:
You already have machinery, structure on ground.
You just don't up and leave.
many manufacturing companies in Nigeria have packed up their machinery. They simply import and rebag
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by SeaTrade(m): 5:19pm On Oct 15, 2023
ednut1:
many manufacturing companies in Nigeria have packed up their machinery. They simply import and rebag
Many?
Then who are those having all the backlogs of fx the CBN is trying to clear?
Rebaggers or 40ft container traders?
Re: What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items by baralatie(m): 5:20pm On Oct 15, 2023
lordm:
Still don't understand. Put it in layman's term. Will it make cement cheaper?
No
It will not make cement cheaper
Unless the naira goes strong in the other direction whereby the dollar is going #200

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Has Anyone Successfully Linked Their NIN With Their Bank Account? / Ibukun Awosika Visits Governor Amosun (Photos) / List Of Top Oil Producing Companies In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.