Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,396 members, 7,819,411 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:54 PM

Carling Cup: Aldershot Vs Manchester United (0 - 1) On Oct 25th 2011 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Carling Cup: Aldershot Vs Manchester United (0 - 1) On Oct 25th 2011 (2929 Views)

Poll: Who Wins This Match?

Aldershot: 16% (1 vote)
Manchester United: 83% (5 votes)
This poll has ended

Manchester City Vs Manchester United (0 - 1) On 20th March 2016 / Carling Cup: Everton Vs Chelsea (1 - 2) On Oct 26th 2011 / Carling Cup: Arsenal Vs Bolton Wanderers (2 - 1) On Oct 25th 2011 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Carling Cup: Aldershot Vs Manchester United (0 - 1) On Oct 25th 2011 by mukina2: 10:52pm On Oct 24, 2011
Dean Holdsworth's team sheet on Tuesday night may not be familiar to some but the Aldershot players who line up against Manchester United in the Carling Cup fourth round will be full of confidence according to their manager.

The Shots have beaten higher-league opposition in all of the previous rounds and have been rewarded with a home tie against the four-time winners of the competition.

But former Wimbledon and Bolton striker Holdsworth, 42, is not ruling out an upset when his npower League Two outfit welcome United's superstars to the EBB Stadium.

He said: "It is a fantastic achievement by everybody, for Aldershot to be playing Man United is amazing.

"We are going to go into the game confident; we know what we can do on our day.

"We go and beat West Ham and then you go and beat Rochdale and Carlisle, two great teams from the divisions above and it is massive for this club.

"We are going to try and enjoy it as much as we can.''
The 2-1 win at Upton Park in the first round proved that Aldershot can spring surprises but Holdsworth believes his side will need the rub of the green to beat United, even though he is fully aware that Sir Alex Ferguson is likely to name a much-changed team.

"Everyone knows the first team don't they? You just want to find out what else they have got so we will look at the reserves and do our homework on everyone they have got,'' he said.

"All we can hope for is complacency from Manchester United. They are going to turn up and be overwhelming favourites - for us it is a challenge, we are underdogs but on the day it is about who turns up.

"On our day we are a very good side but I know we are going to have to be at our best to even get anything from the game. Once you get over the line all you can do is prepare them well and that is my job.''

Holdsworth is still relatively new to the dugout and took over at Aldershot in January following spells at non-league Redbridge and Newport County so to lock horns with the most successful manager in the history of British football is something he is relishing.

He said: "I think it is an honour - we have worked really hard. We are in a cup competition to get as far as we can and we have now earned the right to play Manchester United.

"I am loving it. I can't wait to see the man (Ferguson), I have met him a few times and have played against Man United a few times and won and scored against them.

"I have enjoyed those occasions and I want more of it, I'm hungry for more and it will make me hungrier that we have the greatest manager in world football coming here.''

Aldershot go into the game injury-free and in high spirits.

Holdsworth's experimental line-up at Dagenham put paid to a run of four straight defeats, resulting in a dramatic 5-2 victory.

Striker Adam Smith made his full debut since joining on loan from Mansfield and is likely to continue after setting up Jermaine McGlashan for his first goal of a brace against the Daggers.

Michael Rankine and Danny Hylton scored the goals that saw off the threat of Rochdale in the third round, and the latter will be looking to register his 11th goal in all competitions.

It is possible Ferguson might give some of his embarrassed players the chance to get the 6-1 derby demolition by City out of their systems against the minnows.

But it is more likely they will be saved until next week's test at Everton, with the likes of Michael Owen, Dimitar Berbatov and other fringe players given a run-out.

Captain Nemanja Vidic, who sat out Sunday's humbling after his midweek sending-off in the Champions League, may feature as he continues his comeback from a calf injury.

Fellow defender Phil Jones might also be in the reckoning after being deployed as a midfielder at Liverpool last week and then settling for successive substitute appearances.

Otherwise the 19-year-old has been impressive since his £16.5million summer move from Blackburn and he does not want to lose momentum.

Jones said: "I knew the pressure would be huge. I knew Manchester United was a massive club and a big challenge for me.

"Hopefully I'm proving to people that I can rise to that challenge. I've said before I've always believed in my ability.

"All the lads have been brilliant to me and really helped me along. Training with world-class players week in, week out has only made me a better player and I'm thankful for that.''

match
Re: Carling Cup: Aldershot Vs Manchester United (0 - 1) On Oct 25th 2011 by mukina2: 7:46pm On Oct 25, 2011
Game on!
Re: Carling Cup: Aldershot Vs Manchester United (0 - 1) On Oct 25th 2011 by r231(m): 7:50pm On Oct 25, 2011
game on grin
Re: Carling Cup: Aldershot Vs Manchester United (0 - 1) On Oct 25th 2011 by r231(m): 8:01pm On Oct 25, 2011
Goalllllll grin grin grin grin
Re: Carling Cup: Aldershot Vs Manchester United (0 - 1) On Oct 25th 2011 by mukina2: 8:28pm On Oct 25, 2011
2 -0

owen scores
Re: Carling Cup: Aldershot Vs Manchester United (0 - 1) On Oct 25th 2011 by r231(m): 8:30pm On Oct 25, 2011
oh yes grin
Re: Carling Cup: Aldershot Vs Manchester United (0 - 1) On Oct 25th 2011 by Redstone(m): 8:39pm On Oct 25, 2011
final scores??
Re: Carling Cup: Aldershot Vs Manchester United (0 - 1) On Oct 25th 2011 by Bash92(m): 8:44pm On Oct 25, 2011
Gud game so far from berbatov a goal and a assist
Re: Carling Cup: Aldershot Vs Manchester United (0 - 1) On Oct 25th 2011 by mukina2: 8:51pm On Oct 25, 2011
3 -0!
Re: Carling Cup: Aldershot Vs Manchester United (0 - 1) On Oct 25th 2011 by r231(m): 8:53pm On Oct 25, 2011
^^^^you suppose to be watching Arsenal game grin grin grin
Re: Carling Cup: Aldershot Vs Manchester United (0 - 1) On Oct 25th 2011 by Bash92(m): 9:00pm On Oct 25, 2011
Valencia make it three
Re: Carling Cup: Aldershot Vs Manchester United (0 - 1) On Oct 25th 2011 by r231(m): 9:01pm On Oct 25, 2011
dat babertov na useless guy undecided
Re: Carling Cup: Aldershot Vs Manchester United (0 - 1) On Oct 25th 2011 by Bash92(m): 9:10pm On Oct 25, 2011
Cleverly on for pogba hope ravel morisson get some playing time to prove is worth
Re: Carling Cup: Aldershot Vs Manchester United (0 - 1) On Oct 25th 2011 by DOGIDOPE: 9:11pm On Oct 25, 2011
Dry bones don dey rise again
Re: Carling Cup: Aldershot Vs Manchester United (0 - 1) On Oct 25th 2011 by mukina2: 9:23pm On Oct 25, 2011
r231:

^^^^you suppose to be watching Arsenal game grin grin grin
dem channels don fex grin grin they were hoping for another six in the city grin grin grin
Re: Carling Cup: Aldershot Vs Manchester United (0 - 1) On Oct 25th 2011 by dandollar1: 9:48pm On Oct 25, 2011
Where una watch am? Super sports no show am o. cry
Re: Carling Cup: Aldershot Vs Manchester United (0 - 1) On Oct 25th 2011 by Gbenge77(m): 1:18pm On Oct 26, 2011
But aldershot play in the 4th tier of english football nah?mtcheew

(1) (Reply)

Poll: Champions League Golden Boot, Who Do You Think Will Win It? / QPR Vs Liverpool (0 - 3) On 30th December 2012 / Málaga Vs Barcelona (1 - 4) On Sunday 22nd January 2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.