Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,341 members, 7,815,685 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:31 PM

Lionel Messi Wins Record-Extending Eighth Ballon D’or Award - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Lionel Messi Wins Record-Extending Eighth Ballon D’or Award (28324 Views)

Messi Proves He’s World’s Greatest Footballer With Eighth Ballon D’or Win- GWR / Lionel Messi Wins Record Seventh Fifa Best Men's Player Award / Mercedes Driver Lewis Hamilton Wins Record Sixth British GP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lionel Messi Wins Record-Extending Eighth Ballon D’or Award by AImiron: 11:01pm On Oct 30, 2023
The winner of the 2023 Ballon d’Or has been announced and Lionel Messi has won a record-extending eighth award.

The Inter Miami and Argentina striker, who played for Paris Saint-Germain last season, captained Argentina to the World Cup in Qatar last December, ending a 36-year wait for the South American country. Messi, 36, has won the award three times more than anyone else.

Lionel Messi was named the Ballon d’Or 2023 winner at a ceremony in Paris on Monday, the eighth time he has won the prestigious award.

Messi captained Argentina to 2022 World Cup success in Qatar last winter, the first time he won the tournament which ended a 36-year wait for La Albiceleste.

The 36-year-old scored twice in a blockbuster final against France in December which finished 3-3 after extra-time, scored in the penalty shoot-out and was named player of the match.

Messi fought off competition from Manchester City’s Erling Haaland and former Paris Saint-Germain team-mate Kylian Mbappe, as well as 26 other nominees to win the award.

In a league title-winning season for PSG, he played 41 matches during the 2022/23 season, scored 21 goals and provided 20 assists.

At the World Cup in Qatar, Messi scored twice in the group stage and was on target in each knockout round, scoring against Australia, the Netherlands and Croatia, and then in the final.

He finished second in the top goalscorer charts with seven goals and received the Golden Ball at the conclusion of the tournament in recognition of his fine campaign.

On stage, he said: "Thank you very much, to share this with my national team-mates for what we were able to achieve with the national team.

"The entire group, the coaching staff, everyone involved. I’m delighted to be here once more to be able to enjoy this moment one more time.

"To be able to win the World Cup and really achieve my dream, to share this with all those who were involved."Fittingly, after his World Cup success, he added: "To finish, I want to say happy birthday to Diego Maradona."

After his contract at PSG ran out in the summer, Messi moved to Inter Miami in MLS on a free transfer and was one of three players nominated for the award who do not currently play in Europe.

The former Barcelona forward spent 17 years with the Spanish club between 2004 and 2021 and also won the award in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2019 and 2021.

He was 22 years old when he won his first in 2009 and 14 years later has sealed a record eighth award.

SOURCE

83 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Record-Extending Eighth Ballon D’or Award by AImiron: 11:01pm On Oct 30, 2023
At 36 year old Lionel Messi still holding off the next generation. He’s the greatest footballer ever liveth, no doubt about that, only penadogs disagree cos they live in their own world which is full of fantasies. Everything Penado dream off in his enter life, Messi did it already and surpass am, I wonder what’s going through his mind right now cos he has been forgotten. 😂😂

I remember when he equalled Messi’s number of D’ors at 5, a journalist asked him if the competition with Leo is over now since they have the same number of awards, he said “it’s just getting started “ modafucka empty barrel…fast forward Leo has 3 more than the loser and topped it with a World Cup, what a sad ending for him, these kind of pain no dey heal, if he like make e score 5000 goals all na wash, good riddance 😂😂😂.

I remember when Messi was asked the same question, earlier this year by a CNN reporter, when he won the Laurel awards, the reporter asked him “Now that you have won the World Cup does that validates your status as the 🐐”… Messi smiled and replied “ I don’t care about individual awards”

Goat or no goat conversations no concern leo, he has never mistakenly or intentionally add “goat” to any of his post ever, na we his fans Dey tag am, things like that no dey move am…. But you see that desert, egomaniac, renowned failure, empty barrel go Dey mumu himself dey call him sef goat, who dash monkey banana, he can only be that in his mind and that of his delusional fanbase who has zero knowledge of football.

I will make reference to day he congratulated King James when he got the highest point in the NBA history, the oloribu tag himself dey call am fellow goat, Ojuelegba goat…😂😂😂

The greatest achievement of penado is being compared to Leo.

Leo is up there with the legends Pele and Maradona, pendu is a nonentity. King of Luxembourg and Sheikh of Al Waziri fc.

PS: Penadogs as usual make una cry in my mentions. I love una tears. ENSR!!! 😂😂

179 Likes 24 Shares

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Record-Extending Eighth Ballon D’or Award by Projectwriter0: 11:02pm On Oct 30, 2023
King of the planet

34 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Record-Extending Eighth Ballon D’or Award by Rahkman: 11:05pm On Oct 30, 2023
My camel ronaldo will win next year own, in the mighty name of Allahu akbar amen!

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Record-Extending Eighth Ballon D’or Award by Jokerman(m): 11:06pm On Oct 30, 2023
Better picture here 👇

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Record-Extending Eighth Ballon D’or Award by AImiron: 11:07pm On Oct 30, 2023
Jokerman:
Better picture here 👇
as expected , I need more

36 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Record-Extending Eighth Ballon D’or Award by 7upnigeria: 11:07pm On Oct 30, 2023
Dem don announce am?

1 Like

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Record-Extending Eighth Ballon D’or Award by Franzese: 11:08pm On Oct 30, 2023
These Moderators be sleeping and snoring as usual.
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Record-Extending Eighth Ballon D’or Award by AImiron: 11:08pm On Oct 30, 2023
Rahkman:
My camel ronaldo will win next year own, in the mighty name of Allahu akbar amen!

9 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Record-Extending Eighth Ballon D’or Award by LIVINGICONREBOR: 11:08pm On Oct 30, 2023
And what a way to bow out of "active" football in style. We might never see another player in lionel messi's mode for a very long time to come. The messiah of socer indeed.🤔

50 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Record-Extending Eighth Ballon D’or Award by Crystalvivi: 11:08pm On Oct 30, 2023
And there were tears flowing in Saudi Arabia....people gnashing their teeths ..... infinity pain unleashed ....what a glorious way to bow out.... legendary

30 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Record-Extending Eighth Ballon D’or Award by Debroslink: 11:09pm On Oct 30, 2023
Messi, the S. I unit of football for ever and ever.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Record-Extending Eighth Ballon D’or Award by BOSSkesh(m): 11:10pm On Oct 30, 2023
Idan gab gan
Pendu fans now cry

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Record-Extending Eighth Ballon D’or Award by GanagiBitrus: 11:10pm On Oct 30, 2023
Congrats to the GOAT among goats...

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Record-Extending Eighth Ballon D’or Award by Ddonoflife(m): 11:12pm On Oct 30, 2023
Pain went straight to the camel league(Fc Walahi Talai) in the Desert

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Record-Extending Eighth Ballon D’or Award by Rahkman: 11:13pm On Oct 30, 2023
AImiron:
he also won fifa Saudi World cup

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Record-Extending Eighth Ballon D’or Award by dapsoneh: 11:16pm On Oct 30, 2023
Well deserved

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Record-Extending Eighth Ballon D’or Award by garfield1: 11:18pm On Oct 30, 2023
Second greatest ever behind pele

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Record-Extending Eighth Ballon D’or Award by Monday60655(m): 11:20pm On Oct 30, 2023
Indeed Messi is infinity. The greatest footballer ever.

37 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Record-Extending Eighth Ballon D’or Award by Urheadmaster(m): 11:22pm On Oct 30, 2023
Leo Messi is worldwide favourite player no doubt cool

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Record-Extending Eighth Ballon D’or Award by Lanre4uonly(m): 11:43pm On Oct 30, 2023
Congratulations Messi.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Record-Extending Eighth Ballon D’or Award by psychologist(m): 11:45pm On Oct 30, 2023
Robbery, bla bla bla
We know you all

😂

21 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Record-Extending Eighth Ballon D’or Award by Laple0541(m): 11:45pm On Oct 30, 2023
Congratulations to the dwarf goat.
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Record-Extending Eighth Ballon D’or Award by akpaulite(m): 11:45pm On Oct 30, 2023
Blessed

5 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Record-Extending Eighth Ballon D’or Award by chigoziri2403(m): 11:45pm On Oct 30, 2023
angry
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Record-Extending Eighth Ballon D’or Award by Sprints3: 11:45pm On Oct 30, 2023
AImiron:
At 36 year old Lionel Messi still holding off the next generation. He’s the greatest footballer ever liveth, no doubt about that, only penadogs disagree cos they live in their own world which is full of fantasies. Everything Penado dream off in his enter life, Messi did it already and surpass am, I wonder what’s going through his mind right now cos he has been forgotten. 😂😂

I remember when he equalled Messi’s number of D’ors at 5, a journalist asked him if the competition with Leo is over now since they have the same number of awards, he said “it’s just getting started “ modafucka empty barrel…fast forward Leo has 3 more that the loser and topped it with a World Cup, what a sad ending for him, these kind of pain no dey heal, if he like make e score 5000 goals all na wash, good riddance 😂😂😂.

I remember when Messi was asked the same question, earlier this year by a CNN reporter, when he won the Laurel awards, the reporter asked him “Now that you have won the World Cup does that validates your status as the 🐐”… Messi smiled and replied “ I don’t care about individual awards”

Goat or no goat conversations no concern leo, he has never mistakenly or intentionally add “goat” to any of his post ever, na we his fans Dey tag am, things like that no dey move am…. But you see that desert, egomaniac, renowned failure, empty barrel go Dey mumu himself dey call him sef goat, who dash monkey banana, he can only be that in his mind and that of his delusional fanbase who has zero knowledge of football.

I will make reference to day he congratulated King James when he got the highest point in the NBA history, the oloribu tag himself dey call am fellow goat, Ojuelegba goat…😂😂😂

The greatest achievement of penado is being compared to Leo.

Leo is up there with the legends Pele and Maradona, pendu is a nonentity. King of Luxembourg and Sheikh of Al Waziri fc.

PS: Penadogs as usual make una cry in my mentions. I love una tears. ENSR!!! 😂😂
you are a fool mods feel free to ban me for 2 weeks... This guy deserves to be insulted nonsense pessidiot...

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Record-Extending Eighth Ballon D’or Award by Agricmoney(m): 11:46pm On Oct 30, 2023
wow congratulations to him

Anyway, Agriculture is life.

2 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Record-Extending Eighth Ballon D’or Award by 43Ronin: 11:47pm On Oct 30, 2023
the short fraud just stole the glory of haaland & mbape same thing he did to lewandowsky

10 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Record-Extending Eighth Ballon D’or Award by Sprints3: 11:47pm On Oct 30, 2023
Rahkman:
another fool spotted mods feel free to ban me... Nonsense piggy messi clown

3 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Record-Extending Eighth Ballon D’or Award by Sprints3: 11:47pm On Oct 30, 2023
Ddonoflife:
Pain went straight to the camel league(Fc Walahi Talai) in the Desert
idiot

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigerians Talk About The Craziest Thing They Have Done For The Love Of Football / Ghana Vs Senegal: AFCON 2015 (1 - 2) On 19th January 2015 / Sergio Ramos Signs For Paris Saint-Germain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.