Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,391 members, 7,836,572 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:05 AM

A Need For Self Reliance : My Idea For A Community Education System - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Need For Self Reliance : My Idea For A Community Education System (104 Views)

Facts About Nigeria's "Poor" Education System That Will Make You Agree With ASUU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Need For Self Reliance : My Idea For A Community Education System by WriterX(m): 9:17am On Nov 01, 2023
If anyone has ever taken a drastic look at the educational system of Nigeria, what we would is a deteriorating case of lack of care, corruption and no clear, obtainable and sustainable goals and plans towards education.

I come from a family where everyone has held a chalk or a marker at some point in their life needless to say as a typical Nigerian I understand the need for an improved educational experience in terms of management.

Face it, Education by the minute is either becoming a necessary past time for the young as it's value underscores the amount of time and money it gulps annually.

But I am not here to point fingers but I am here to offer solutions, solutions I myself would implement as I seek to gather reliable and trustworthy stakeholders in my vision for education.

This is coming after I recently began writing my book "TEACHER JOHN OUR ENEMY" a book that aims to celebrate the sacrifices and efforts of the men and women who have spent decades of their lives in teaching and preparing the future generations for the future, a sacrifice I know a lot about as I too, am a teacher currently.

WHAT IS THE PLAN

One of the famous quotes by Abraham Lincoln goes as this "It's not what America can do for you, it is what you can do for America"

A bitter sweet reminder of how awful things are in the country where there is a growing need to be self reliant to boost productivity.

So why Not create a Community Education management system?

In the old days, we had schools, infact we still have schools where the community are actively involved in decision making that directly affect the school.

Here are some ideas and ways on how a community can build and maintain a school all by itself with total control over its resources:

**Building the school**

* The community can form a school building committee made up of volunteers from the community. This committee will be responsible for overseeing the planning, construction, and maintenance of the school with plethora of professionals who live within the community, it will be an all hands on deck project.

* The community can raise funds for the school through donations, fundraising events, and grants. There are communities that put up money for its development and maintenances already, it's a happening. Having politicians, businesses organizations and community patrons etc contribute this would constitute the main source of finance but it doesn't end there.

Other sources of finances would include internally generated revenue, how is this possible? Imagine having a home economics department that could tutor and train students on catering and sewing and etc, a tech department that could tech the students and work together to open up internal businesses such as a school cyber Cafe, a school restaurant, a school fashion design center or furniture center, an ICT center managed to the school where the students learn and gain skills and help generate resources and finance to keep the school running.

The possibilities are endless.

The community can use local resources and materials to build the school. This will help to reduce the cost of construction and make the school more sustainable again, we would have professionals to work hand in hand with within the community and even outside. There are still people who care about the educational system.

The community can also seek help from outside organizations, such as non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and government agencies, to provide technical assistance and support, opening of the school business centers can be managed properly by a committee.

Maintaining the school: The community can form a school management committee made up of volunteers from the community. This committee will be responsible for the day-to-day operation of the school, including hiring and managing staff, developing and implementing curriculum, and managing finances.

The community can raise funds for the school's operating expenses through tuition fees, donations, and fundraising events.

The community can also partner with local businesses and organizations to provide support for the school.

Here are some specific ideas for implementing a self-reliant school operation:

The school can grow its own food on a school farm. This will provide fresh, healthy food for students and staff, and it will also help to teach students about agriculture and sustainability, an agric department could operate poultry farms which would be sold to generate more money.

The school can generate its own electricity through solar panels or wind turbines. This will reduce the school's reliance on fossil fuels and save money on energy costs, again professionals coming together to work together would be great.

The school can compost food scraps and other organic waste to create fertilizer for the school farm. This will help to reduce waste and create a more sustainable school environment.

The school can teach students about sustainable living practices and encourage them to adopt these practices in their own homes.

By implementing these ideas, communities can build and maintain self-reliant schools that are sustainable and meet the needs of their students, with a well designed and subsidised school fee payment plan that both , we could be looking at a school that could be sustainable, affordable and reliable.

A little survey of my community showed it had over 150,000 people. If 100,000 of these decide to pay a 1000 each month this would go as follows :

100,000 * 1000 = 100,000,000.
100,000,000*12= 1,200,000,000

I believe we spend more than that for card and all that weekly.

Education is not a scam, it has b
Never been and will never be. Just as money is a currency by which you are able to transact any meaningful transaction. Education is vital and important to us, our children and future generations.

I WANT TO SHARE MY IDEAS AND PLANS FOR THIS PROJECT, I SEE ONE OF THESE SCHOOLS IN EVERY COMMUNITY ACROSS NIGERIA YEARS FROM NOW.

WE CAN'T RELY ON PEOPLE FOR EVERYTHING WE NEED, NOTE WE HAVE TO LOOK INWARD AND HELP PREPARE OURSELVES.

I HAVE PLANS TO DO THIS, MY IDEA GO WAY BEYOND WHAT IS WRITTEN HERE TO BE HONEST BUT NOTHING CAN BE ACHIEVED WITHOUT YOU ALL READING AND ALL THOSE WHO STILL BELIEVE IN THIS COUNTRY, WHO STILL BELIEVE IN EDUCATION.

thank you for reading.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Upgrade Your College Experience With Student Apartments / Mathematician And Physicists HELP / Embarking On The Journey Of Learning Artificial Intelligence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.