Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,832 members, 7,810,201 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:29 PM

4000MW Gas-fired Power Plant To Be Built In Nigeria - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 4000MW Gas-fired Power Plant To Be Built In Nigeria (7607 Views)

FG Commissions Nigeria’s First Solar/Wind Power Plant / $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri / Federal Government Plans 3 Coal-fired Power Stations To Generate 3,000 Megawatts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

4000MW Gas-fired Power Plant To Be Built In Nigeria by igbo2011(m): 12:36am On Oct 26, 2011
4000 Mw Gas Plant To Be Built In Nigeria

By Chika Amanze-Nwachuku

Federal government’s bid to ensure regular power supply has received a boost as Sparkle Energy has said it planned  to build a $10 billion 4000 Gas-fired Power Plant called Sparkle Power Plant, which is to become the largest gas-fired power plant in Nigeria.
Making the disclosure in a document made available to THISDAY, Groot Property Group Ltd said it floated the firm (Sparkle Energy) in partnership with some prominent Nigerian entrepreneurs and scholars based in the United States,  and a Nigerian consortium for the development of the power project. The company said the project, with a construction budget of $10 billion was designed to sufficiently power up to 5 million homes in Nigeria.

Nigeria, with a population of about 155 million produces more than 22 billion of KWh and consumes more than 20 billion KWh, with a surplus of about 2 billion KWh of electricity, the company said.

The Chief Executive Officer of Sparkle Energy, Julius Gbayange, said:  "Every well-meaning Nigerian understands the importance of clean, safe and constant power supply. This is the core of the development of our nation's economy because it addresses the question of industrialisation and the current high rate of unemployment. And we are glad that under this oriented Groot Property Group's technical mentorship and planning management, this power project is going to help rid Nigeria this illness. This is a new dawn for Nigeria.”
The consortium also seeks to form a partnership with the federal government of Nigeria for the development and realisation of Sparkle Power Plant.

"Obviously, Groot Property Group (Pty) Ltd will only hold 15percent stake in Sparkle Energy Ltd, while the Nigerian consortium will hold 37percent and 25percent stake is reserved for the Nigerian Central Government, while the difference of 23percent will be reserved for our future investors and partners. So, this is a development project by the Nigerians for the Nigerians and for the Government of Nigeria”, Chief Economist and VP Development Operations of Groot Property Group (Pty) Ltd, Simon Kapenda  said.

"By 2016, Nigeria will become Africa's largest economy surpassing South Africa. However, Nigeria's industrial development lags far behind of South Africa, due to the country's infrastructure maintenance and management. And until Nigeria fixes some of these issues, South Africa will always be the leading and powerful economy in Africa due to its massive industrialisation and well-maintained infrastructure", he added.

Sparkle Energy Ltd also seeks to help repair and fix the current electricity infrastructure in Nigeria. The company said preliminary research revealed that in Nigeria, there might be certain people who constantly sabotage purposely the country's electricity power lines in order to help increase the sale of personal electricity generators in the country.

Said Kapenda:  "There are currently laws in place against the sabotaging of power lines by anyone but these laws have little or are not entirely enforced. What we hope to do is to ask the Central Government to look into this senseless act of vandalism, which is only pushing down the vast development of our country's economy.”

Under the agreement, the government is expected to finance the start-up costs for the predevelopment of Sparkle Power Plant, which is $50 million. Then, with the guarantee of the government and Offtake Agreements in place, the company said it expected to raise the needed $10 billion to fund the project through a combination of debt and equity through a network of Development Finance Institutions (DFIs) with a mandate to fund projects in developing countries.

The DFIs include DFIs include Industrial Development Corporation of South Africa Limited, Development Bank of Southern Africa Limited, IFC and African Development Bank, as well as certain export credit agencies like the Export Credit Insurance Corporation of South Africa (Pty) Ltd (ECIC) and export facilitation banks like the Export-Import Bank of China and other commercial banks.

The preliminary development for Sparkle Power Plant is expected to be completed by mid-December 2011. Thereafter, the company expects to select the EPCM Contractor for the engineering, procurement and construction management (EPCM) of Sparkle Power Plant. The technical, engineering and construction is expected to start in mid 2012 and to make Sparkle Power Plant ready for commercial operation by the end of 2016.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/firm-to-build-4000mw-power-plant/101292/

What do you think about this?  White elephant or will it help the people?  It is supposed to be finished by 2016 which is a long way away,
Re: 4000MW Gas-fired Power Plant To Be Built In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 12:48am On Oct 26, 2011
Re: 4000MW Gas-fired Power Plant To Be Built In Nigeria by ektbear: 12:51am On Oct 26, 2011
Your new emoticons are hilarious grin

Reminds me of whack-a-mole for some reason
Re: 4000MW Gas-fired Power Plant To Be Built In Nigeria by Olaone1: 12:54am On Oct 26, 2011
Hahahaaa, Kobojunkie grin

Your emoticon should be on Flog It.

You be case ooo
Re: 4000MW Gas-fired Power Plant To Be Built In Nigeria by netotse(m): 12:58am On Oct 26, 2011
white elephant. . .first, where is the surplus electricity they're talking about? abi I'm the one misunderstanding the grammar

I dont have nearly enough experience at the level that govt takes such decisions but somehow I have a feeling that the people behind this deal are people that dont understand the power sector.

No be by mouth dem dey build power plant. . .make them sort out the regulations first.
Re: 4000MW Gas-fired Power Plant To Be Built In Nigeria by aljharem3: 12:59am On Oct 26, 2011
Kobojunkie:

wetin dey do u sef grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 4000MW Gas-fired Power Plant To Be Built In Nigeria by aljharem3: 1:00am On Oct 26, 2011
@ topic

another WEP (White elephant project)
Re: 4000MW Gas-fired Power Plant To Be Built In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:54am On Oct 26, 2011
Just 4000? undecided

People dey suffer in that hell hole sha. No wonder everi bodi dey come on NL to feed on each other for self consolation (even tho some of us do it for the phun).

It's good to be a Canadian.
Re: 4000MW Gas-fired Power Plant To Be Built In Nigeria by paniki(m): 7:32am On Oct 26, 2011
Power stations take a long time to build. 2016 is just imaginative.
Re: 4000MW Gas-fired Power Plant To Be Built In Nigeria by violent(m): 10:05am On Oct 26, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Lmao!

says everything on my mind!
Re: 4000MW Gas-fired Power Plant To Be Built In Nigeria by Kx: 10:09am On Oct 26, 2011
Another "to".
Keep the plan to yourself, when the plant is built and producing, come back, we ll clap for u.
Re: 4000MW Gas-fired Power Plant To Be Built In Nigeria by sgd: 10:09am On Oct 26, 2011
Re: 4000MW Gas-fired Power Plant To Be Built In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:17am On Oct 26, 2011
When i start seeing 3hours uninterrupted supply of power, i would start believing but for now, This na Gimmicks angry
Re: 4000MW Gas-fired Power Plant To Be Built In Nigeria by dgr8truth(m): 10:21am On Oct 26, 2011
It is only in this country that faceless firms deceive the persuasion of the average Nigerians. Another Extreme/Pure White Elephant Project that will not even takeoff. Because we are die in need of power, that every nick and harry will come out to foolishly tell Nigerians that he want to build a power plant. In fact I will, no I am building a 50,000MW plant in my backyard grin grin grin grin grin. arrant nonsense.
Re: 4000MW Gas-fired Power Plant To Be Built In Nigeria by talktrue1(m): 10:26am On Oct 26, 2011
The preliminary development for Sparkle Power Plant is expected to be completed by mid-December 2011. Thereafter, the company expects to select the EPCM Contractor for the engineering, procurement and construction management (EPCM) of Sparkle Power Plant. The technical, engineering and construction is expected to start in mid 2012 and to make Sparkle Power Plant ready for commercial operation by the end of 2016.

You mean we have to wait till 2016 before we get additional 4000Mw.
Re: 4000MW Gas-fired Power Plant To Be Built In Nigeria by aribisala0(m): 10:37am On Oct 26, 2011
this is NOT a white elephant.

that would be insulting elephants

this is a sparkling FANTASY.

Question : how many plants have these guys built before.

really there is no need to get an erection over a bowl of fufu
Re: 4000MW Gas-fired Power Plant To Be Built In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:38am On Oct 26, 2011
[size=15pt]The emoticon needs a 4000 Mw shock.[/size] grin
Re: 4000MW Gas-fired Power Plant To Be Built In Nigeria by daywatcher: 10:50am On Oct 26, 2011
We all know that our government is useless at completing projects. It is upto us citizens to ensure that it is started and completed.
Re: 4000MW Gas-fired Power Plant To Be Built In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:07am On Oct 26, 2011
Track record, please? How many gas plants have these "Sparkle" guys built?
Re: 4000MW Gas-fired Power Plant To Be Built In Nigeria by igbo2011(m): 11:09am On Oct 26, 2011
HNosegbe:

Track record, please? How many gas plants have these "Sparkle" guys built?

They are a start up company.
Re: 4000MW Gas-fired Power Plant To Be Built In Nigeria by Johnpaul2k2(m): 11:18am On Oct 26, 2011
federal govt / P Square Song Reloaded  grin grin grin
' if you plan you i Plan you  Man no go Vex'
' step on the embezzle floor Man no go Vex'
' touch me i slap you Man no go Vex (3times )  grin cheesy grin grin
Re: 4000MW Gas-fired Power Plant To Be Built In Nigeria by debosky(m): 11:20am On Oct 26, 2011
I saw the article yesterday - unadulterated rubbish. It is likely just another scheme to siphon money from the government.

Their 'chief economist and VP' is still a PhD Candidate and is proudly using the title already. . . .I've never  seen anyone use PhD Candidate as a title except in an academic environment, and definitely not as an official title.

Why on earth does the government have to finance the $50m take off costs? That money will be stolen and spent and there will be no power plant built.

No talk of what electricity tariffs they will need to make the project economical, no mention of their own funding contribution, no mention of where the plant will be located, where the gas will be sourced from and whether it has been secured or not.

All they want is $50m of the govt's money to steal. A company less than a year old with zero experience in building power plants wants to build a 4,000MW station.

I am with dgr8truth  - I'm going to build a 200,000 MW power plant using tribal bashing energy from nairaland. grin
Re: 4000MW Gas-fired Power Plant To Be Built In Nigeria by highland(m): 11:21am On Oct 26, 2011
After obtaining the license, they will go back home and do nothing.
Re: 4000MW Gas-fired Power Plant To Be Built In Nigeria by LadyT(f): 11:22am On Oct 26, 2011
Utter trash.  angry

Dont these people understand that if they actually did the job properly they would earn more in the long run!!!

Why are we so stupid in Nigeria?
Re: 4000MW Gas-fired Power Plant To Be Built In Nigeria by aribisala0(m): 11:26am On Oct 26, 2011
LadyT:

Utter trash.  angry

i could not agree with you more
a start up company wanting to build one of the biggest gas power plants ever built.
a start up company wanting to start up with a $10 billion project in one of the worst places to do business on earth .
honestly i think this thread should be closed and i am really disappointed it is on the front page.
nigeria will host the football world cup and olympics before this happens

this is just fantasy and falsehood.

the article uses the expression "the agreement" and "government"which agreement with whom,which government. is there a named government official involved.
Re: 4000MW Gas-fired Power Plant To Be Built In Nigeria by LadyT(f): 11:34am On Oct 26, 2011
This site is another example of the stupidness of Nigerians.

I guess since the site owner is earning good money from the site he has decided to let any trashy topic appear on the front page!
Its either that or someone he has employed to look after the site needs sacking.
Re: 4000MW Gas-fired Power Plant To Be Built In Nigeria by engrj(m): 11:49am On Oct 26, 2011
Kobojunkie:

mount close. smiley
Re: 4000MW Gas-fired Power Plant To Be Built In Nigeria by Beaf1: 12:14pm On Oct 26, 2011
Sparkle Energy Ltd also seeks to help repair and fix the current electricity infrastructure in Nigeria. The company said preliminary research revealed that in Nigeria, there might be certain people who constantly sabotage purposely the country's electricity power lines in order to help increase the sale of personal electricity generators in the country.

Said Kapenda: "There are currently laws in place against the sabotaging of power lines by anyone but these laws have little or are not entirely enforced. What we hope to do is to ask the Central Government to look into this senseless act of vandalism, which is only pushing down the vast development of our country's economy.”

Unless the bolded is tackled we will perpetually remained in darkness in Naija. What annoys me must is that the people in the position to stop that are the culprits.

I learnt that the Emir of Kano has upto 40% shares with MIKANO Generators. Now tell me if this heediot will ever want a stable power in Nigeria.

Re: 4000MW Gas-fired Power Plant To Be Built In Nigeria by igbo2011(m): 12:27pm On Oct 26, 2011
Beaf!:

Unless the bolded is tackled we will perpetually remained in darkness in Naija. What annoys me must is that the people in the position to stop that are the culprits.

I learnt that the Emir of Kano has upto 40% shares with MIKANO Generators. Now tell me if this heediot will ever want a stable power in Nigeria.

We neeed to ocupy Nigeria until they stop doing this bull. Instead of invest in generators to benefit themselves, they should invest in power plants to benefit everybody AND theirselves. This is so frustrating about Nigeria. Liba has more power than us with only 6 million people.
Re: 4000MW Gas-fired Power Plant To Be Built In Nigeria by debosky(m): 12:41pm On Oct 26, 2011
Beaf!:

This is an old wives tale - even if you eliminate sabotage 100%, the power generation is still grossly inadequate and the system losses due to inefficiencies make the actual available power even less.

The prime issues are increasing power generation and upgrading the transmission and distribution systems. Whatever sabotage is allegedly going on is not even close to 10% of the problem.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Danger Of Borrowing Unclaimed Dividends / FCCPC Imposes $110 Million Fine On British American Tobacco / Keke Napep (marwa) Or Golf 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.