Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,405 members, 7,861,143 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 03:08 AM

Why Does Nigeria Have Such Little Influence In Canada Compared to Indians? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Does Nigeria Have Such Little Influence In Canada Compared to Indians? (606 Views)

How Much Is Yam In Canada Compared To Nigeria / See What Is Now In London Can't Nigeria Have A Thing Like This? / Lagos Can Never Be Compared With Abuja - Lady Blasts Lagosians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does Nigeria Have Such Little Influence In Canada Compared to Indians? by Enculer2: 5:21pm On Nov 02, 2023
This is a question I am asking after observing some patterns in Canada (Ontario). I have lived in the UK and in France and I have always been curious to study the influence of Nigerians vs Indians wherever I have lived.

The presence of Indians is Canada top-down. We observed this when we did our soft landing last year as PR. Toronto felt like Mumbai extension.

We moved fully this year and CDG airport Paris had plenty Indians waiting to board our flight to Toronto. We had reasonable Nigerian representation as well.

As we landed Toronto airport, the first person I saw as I stepped out of the plane was an Indian lady helping passengers with reduced mobility.

We went to the passport/PR card check-in area and it was Indians directing things there. We went to immigration and was attended to by an Indian. There was heavy Indian presence there as well.

We had goods to follow from France and it was an Indian customs lady that helped with our goods to follow form.

The taxi we got from the airport to our hotel was manned by an Indian guy. The hotel had Indians in the reception receiving us.

The next day, we moved into our airbnb and the host was an Indian muslim. We stayed in their basement. Very nice people by the way. They even offered us food several times.

The guy who's car we rented for 2 weeks from Turo was an Indian Muslim. Very nice guy.

We saw plenty of Indian estate agents although we settled for a Canadian agent in the end because she had more houses.

By the way, most of the linkedIN contacts that helped me the most were Indians. Some Nigerians helped but they were sounding distant. The ones that really helped were Indians. A couple even offered teams meeting to explain stuff to me. I received solid advice from them. In summary, I received the most helpful from Indians/Indian-Canadians on linkedIN.

At work, plenty of Indians in management positions. There are some Nigerians but way more Indian directors and Vice Presidents.

Indian shops everywhere, Indian food everywhere, Indian pharmacists and dentists everywhere. Indian opticians everywhere.

As we went house hunting, we saw some entire street filled with Indians. You could count the number of non Indians in some streets.

These guys are everywhere! I salute them!! They have a strong presence in Canada.

How did they achieve this? I notice that they help themselves a lot. For instance they put money together to buy houses and rent them out or sell them for profit.

Feel free to add your experience and your thoughts.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Have Such Little Influence In Canada Compared to Indians? by LikeAking: 5:40pm On Nov 02, 2023
Nigerians and competition..

Allow Indians breath..

We are all one ..

Focus on how you as an individual go blow..

2 Likes

Re: Why Does Nigeria Have Such Little Influence In Canada Compared to Indians? by Timoleon(m): 6:00pm On Nov 02, 2023
Nigerians compete against Nigerians, Indians protect Indians from other people. The average Nigerian will exploit you when you get to Canada. The average Indian will be sheltered and helped by relatives and kinsmen until they get to their feet and of course are expected to help others. The average Indian will rather live moderate while building a business or career, the average Nigerian will want to pepper village people that still check on them on social media thereby not being able to save much let alone build something tangible in Canada.

Just as we like education, Indians like it too. But many of them are able to stay focus and get to the top of their careers, Nigerians mostly see it as a means of entering Canada and often deviate from it once they are in.

The general population of India is many times that of Nigerians. The ratio will almost always show especially in countries that have history with Uk. Examples include Australia, New Zealand, USA and of uk itself.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does Nigeria Have Such Little Influence In Canada Compared to Indians? by ednut1(m): 6:31pm On Nov 02, 2023
They are communal in nature and help each other to grow.

3 Indian families will stay in one house so they can own it faster while their grandparents take care of the kids ( no day care cost). In 10 years the 3 families have all acquired theirs. Ordinary your siblings or mother in law comes to visit the opposite spouse wants him or her out asap.

5 indian men will contribute money to buy hotel, gas station, fast food joint etc. Till all of them will own one each. Now picture 5 Nigerian men doing same, issues like deceit, financial fraud, sleeping with another of them wife or daughter will arise. Nigerians most times want to be the superstar in a clique , some people will never empower their siblings because of the respect and power they command in the family.

They also are strategic and contest for elective posts like parliament, mayor, Local governments etc . They have done it in USA, Canada, Uk etc.

We are like Leapards (loners) while they are like lions who move in pride.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Does Nigeria Have Such Little Influence In Canada Compared to Indians? by bularuz(m): 6:33pm On Nov 02, 2023
Indian network and assist themselves while Nigerian don't, there are lots of Canadian businesses almost exclusively run by Indian where they support Indians while sadly most Nigerian don't even relate well with there follow Nigerian,

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does Nigeria Have Such Little Influence In Canada Compared to Indians? by Enculer2: 7:09pm On Nov 02, 2023
LikeAking:
Nigerians and competition..

Allow Indians breath..

We are all one ..

Focus on how you as an individual go blow..

If you read the post carefully it was about an observation. No one is comparing. The salient point on there is how the Indians help themselves.

What is your own take on it?
Re: Why Does Nigeria Have Such Little Influence In Canada Compared to Indians? by Enculer2: 7:18pm On Nov 02, 2023
Timoleon:
Nigerians compete against Nigerians, Indians protect Indians from other people. The average Nigerian will exploit you when you get to Canada. The average Indian will be sheltered and helped by relatives and kinsmen until they get to their feet and of course are expected to help others. The average Indian will rather live moderate while building a business or career, the average Nigerian will want to pepper village people that still check on them on social media thereby not being able to save much let alone build something tangible in Canada.

Just as we like education, Indians like it too. But many of them are able to stay focus and get to the top of their careers, Nigerians mostly see it as a means of entering Canada and often deviate from it once they are in.

The general population of India is many times that of Nigerians. The ratio will almost always show especially in countries that have history with Uk. Examples include Australia, New Zealand, USA and of uk itself.

Thank you very much for this feedback. I am very happy that someone else has observed this.

I met an Indian guy in Toronto who told me he stays in Manitoba and visited Toronto without having any place to stay but he was not concerned because all he needed was a couple of calls and an 'uncle' or Bhayia (brother) will sort him out with accommodation.

With regards to staying focussed on schooling, I mentor students from differents parts the world and most of my steadfast students are Indians and Chinese. Some Nigerians will contact us for info and disappear soon afterwards but the Indians will stay till the end. The Chinese guys even show double commitment. It is really sad when I see this on a daily basis. The Nigerians just want free stuff or are just not focused or want to do it on their own. Just an observation.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does Nigeria Have Such Little Influence In Canada Compared to Indians? by Enculer2: 7:23pm On Nov 02, 2023
ednut1:
They are communal in nature and help each other to grow.

3 Indian families will stay in one house so they can own it faster while their grandparents take care of the kids ( no day care cost). In 10 years the 3 families have all acquired theirs. Ordinary your siblings or mother in law comes to visit the opposite spouse wants him or her out asap.

5 indian men will contribute money to buy hotel, gas station, fast food joint etc. Till all of them will own one each. Now picture 5 Nigerian men doing same, issues like deceit, financial fraud, sleeping with another of them wife or daughter will arise. Nigerians most times want to be the superstar in a clique , some people will never empower their siblings because of the respect and power they command in the family.

They also are strategic and contest for elective posts like parliament, mayor, Local governments etc . They have done it in USA, Canada, Uk etc.

We are like Leapards (loners) while they are like lions who move in pride.

Thank you so much for this.

Exactly what I saw. They contribute money to buy stuff. Check out the franchise. Go to the Mary Brown's and its Indians running it. Go to immigration, they are all over.

How many Nigerian or African franchise are present in Canada? How many Nigerians in customs? Immigration? Law making? Where are all the Nigerians? I ask my wife this as we drive through cities here.

I love to see Nigerians help themselves and prosper because it is really good to see. I have a feeling that everyone wants to do it on their own.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Have Such Little Influence In Canada Compared to Indians? by Possessedkid: 7:29pm On Nov 02, 2023
Indian help one another and most of them either come from rich homes or have valuable set of skills

Most nigerians don't particularly like Canada due to one or two reasons, they prefer UK where there are way too many blacks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Does Nigeria Have Such Little Influence In Canada Compared to Indians? by Enculer2: 7:29pm On Nov 02, 2023
bularuz:
Indian network and assist themselves while Nigerian don't, there are lots of Canadian businesses almost exclusively run by Indian where they support Indians while sadly most Nigerian don't even relate well with there follow Nigerian,

100% agree with you on this one.

The vibes I even got from LinkedIN from some Nigerians when I was job hunting was sad. Almost like I was there to take their Jobs in Canada. That was the saddest part for me.

I sent out the same message to different Canadian based professionals in my field on LinkedIn. If you read the responses I got by Country, you will shake your head for Nigeria. Na my Bahyas from India help me pass. Omo, I weak.

When I got the job, some were acting friendly. Na wah oh. Life is so short. We should help each other. Share information. Form bonds and show each other the way.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Have Such Little Influence In Canada Compared to Indians? by ednut1(m): 7:55pm On Nov 02, 2023
Enculer2:

Thank you so much for this.

Exactly what I saw. They contribute money to buy stuff. Check out the franchise. Go to the Mary Brown's and its Indians running it. Go to immigration, they are all over.

How many Nigerian or African franchise are present in Canada? How many Nigerians in customs? Immigration? Law making? Where are all the Nigerians? I ask my wife this as we drive through cities here.

I love to see Nigerians help themselves and prosper because it is really good to see. I have a feeling that everyone wants to do it on their own.
a leopard cannot operate like a lion. Some things in life are just like that 😁. Its just like we have in Nigeria igbos dominate trade and commerce in most states, you cant compete as they have the upper hand already.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Have Such Little Influence In Canada Compared to Indians? by LikeAking: 9:15pm On Nov 02, 2023
Enculer2:

If you read the post carefully it was about an observation. No one is comparing. The salient point on there is how the Indians help themselves.

What is your own take on it?

It’s good..
Re: Why Does Nigeria Have Such Little Influence In Canada Compared to Indians? by CornOak(m): 1:15am On Nov 03, 2023
Enculer2:

100% agree with you on this one.

The vibes I even got from LinkedIN from some Nigerians when I was job hunting was sad. Almost like I was there to take their Jobs in Canada. That was the saddest part for me.

I sent out the same message to different Canadian based professionals in my field on LinkedIn. If you read the responses I got by Country, you will shake your head for Nigeria. Na my Bahyas from India help me pass. Omo, I weak.

When I got the job, some were acting friendly. Na wah oh. Life is so short. We should help each other. Share information. Form bonds and show each other the way.

Sorry about your experience, mon ami.

Just wanted to ask, what are you personally doing to ensure we unite, cooperate, and form a strong force like the Indians?

Happy to read your views.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Have Such Little Influence In Canada Compared to Indians? by Enculer2: 5:38am On Nov 03, 2023
CornOak:

Sorry about your experience, mon ami.

Just wanted to ask, what are you personally doing to ensure we unite, cooperate, and form a strong force like the Indians?

Happy to read your views.

I offer subsidised professional coaching to less experienced professionals just starting off in their career. One way I have been helping out since 2015 but like I say, many Nigerians start but do not finish the mentoring program. The Indians and Chinese stay to the end and benefit instead.

I have seen instances when some of my Nigerian clients have attempted to clone my service and even steal some of my clients behind my back. This is after I provided free service to them since they are Nigerians and might be struggling with exchange rates. I thought I was helping out.

The Indians and Chinese recommend me to their other friends and colleagues. They carry themselves along. This is how I get the bulk of my clients but few or no recommendations by my Nigerian clients to their friends or colleagues. It is a pattern I have observed since 2015.

This one hits home on a personal level the most.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Ticketing / New Admission To Europe And Usa / Anybody Pls Reply

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.