Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,817 members, 7,813,697 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:33 PM

Handworks To Learn In Nigeria Before You Japa - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Handworks To Learn In Nigeria Before You Japa (57048 Views)

UK: 10 Things You Will Miss About Nigeria When You JAPA / If You Had ₦6M, Would You Japa Or Open A Business In Nigeria? / Think Well Before You ‘Japa’ — Nigerian Man Shows Homeless People In US (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Handworks To Learn In Nigeria Before You Japa by Supremos: 12:13pm On Nov 12, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QcxZsNgGg8?si=uNPn-JnM979tCI4V

Ty Adekunle Advices Nigerians wishing to Japa, on a must have handwork that would help them upon arrival.

She said;

Normalize learning;

- Make up artist and tying of Gele

- Baking

- Mechanic

- Carpentry

- Tiling

- Plumbing

- Bricks Laying

- Painting.

These will Serve as side hustle for you.

Tailoring isn't no longer advisable because lots of people send their clothes back to Nigeria to be sowed and brought back to them.

75 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Handworks To Learn In Nigeria Before You Japa by Supremos: 12:14pm On Nov 12, 2023
More photos

Dear Mods let's help our people traveling out.

Cc OAM4J Nlfpmod Dominique Mynd44

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Handworks To Learn In Nigeria Before You Japa by Supremos: 12:17pm On Nov 12, 2023
Learn handwork so that you don't go and constitute nuisance to the society

10 Likes

Re: Handworks To Learn In Nigeria Before You Japa by ObongBassey: 12:25pm On Nov 12, 2023
Nice thread.

How about hair dressing and barbing saloon

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: Handworks To Learn In Nigeria Before You Japa by Supremos: 12:27pm On Nov 12, 2023
ObongBassey:
Nice thread.

How about hair dressing and barbing saloon
Though she didn't include it there, but me thinks hairdressing which I would say includes barbing salon, would be okay too

41 Likes

Re: Handworks To Learn In Nigeria Before You Japa by ObongBassey: 12:29pm On Nov 12, 2023
Supremos:
Though she didn't include it there, but me thinks hairdressing which I would say includes barbing salon, would be okay too
Good. And also wielding because being developed societies, they probably would need wielders

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Handworks To Learn In Nigeria Before You Japa by Boogyman557: 12:46pm On Nov 12, 2023
Holly Gram cool @ Supremos what about

Phone repair

Laptop repair

DJ (Disc Jockey)

Electronics repair (TV repair)

LITE UP my WEED in peace

WTF MAN!

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Handworks To Learn In Nigeria Before You Japa by ednut1(m): 1:07pm On Nov 12, 2023
Make up artist and tying of Gele

- Baking

- Mechanic

- Carpentry

- Tiling

- Plumbing

- Bricks Laying

- Painting.

From this list only baking and makeup artist can serve as side hustle. The rest are highly regulated abroad and you need a license to do it. It cannot serve as a side hustle. They are full time jobs that may require 1 or 2 years of being an apprentice.

101 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Handworks To Learn In Nigeria Before You Japa by ObongBassey: 1:53pm On Nov 12, 2023
ednut1:
Make up artist and tying of Gele

- Baking

- Mechanic

- Carpentry

- Tiling

- Plumbing

- Bricks Laying

- Painting.

From this list only baking and makeup artist can serve as side hustle. The rest are highly regulated abroad and you need a license to do it. It cannot serve as a side hustle. They are full time jobs that may require 1 or 2 years of being an apprentice.

Are you serious?. Oh dear lord.

I think more people should State their opinion and idea here

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Handworks To Learn In Nigeria Before You Japa by ObongBassey: 1:54pm On Nov 12, 2023
Cc @nlfpmod. I think this informative thread should be on the frontpage

1 Like

Re: Handworks To Learn In Nigeria Before You Japa by ednut1(m): 3:04pm On Nov 12, 2023
ObongBassey:
Are you serious?. Oh dear lord.

I think more people should State their opinion and idea here
this is UK. Many of the plumbers in Nigeria dont have certification, have never worked with heating systems and basement piping. So them no rate us. The rather take plumbers from south africa or Eastern Europe. Any Nigerian that decides to become a plumber na full time job not side hustle. Apprenticeship takes 4 years in uk or you go to a college to learn it.

44 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Handworks To Learn In Nigeria Before You Japa by Omoawoke2(m): 5:11pm On Nov 12, 2023
This is not exactly true

So many misconceptions and wrong information

Abroad is not like you think. You dont just enter a new country and start sewing clothes and making hair for people and money start rolling in.

Everything is regulated and closely controlled. It's not like the place you are going to, they don't have these services there. Of course they do, the best you may get may be to render this services to those within your network, I mean colleagues and friends and it doesn't mean they will patronize you every time.

Please don't get your hope too high so you wont be frustrated. Most important is to settle down and get your papers to stay legally

102 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Handworks To Learn In Nigeria Before You Japa by omoredia: 5:13pm On Nov 12, 2023
Dirty jobs. Nigerians are now aboki for abroad. How art the mighty fallen. Really sad

37 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Handworks To Learn In Nigeria Before You Japa by kenny714433(m): 5:13pm On Nov 12, 2023
You guys can never think of learning better skills?

Behaving like refuse scavengers all over the world. I'm not talking down on the skills you wrote there but considering the fact that 90% of people that considers japa are the graduates, putting up these skills is annoying.

Graduate should think above these.

55 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Handworks To Learn In Nigeria Before You Japa by Sonnobax15(m): 5:13pm On Nov 12, 2023
lipsrsealed
Nice thread...

These are the kind of posts that needs to be hitting Nairaland's FP from time to time and not always the bad news the mods have been steadily posting to paint us bad undecided

Well,a thread for those wey get money to japa.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Handworks To Learn In Nigeria Before You Japa by Theunbothered: 5:13pm On Nov 12, 2023
cheesy
Re: Handworks To Learn In Nigeria Before You Japa by Itzteewhy(m): 5:13pm On Nov 12, 2023
It's great to give advice... but have you think about the requirements required to be able to move with this route

e.g. as an artisan with such skills set, if you want to move to Australia you are required to tender your payslip to show how you are paid for gigs.... now tell me how many artisan can tender such?? Most artisan are paid in cash lol

1 Like

Re: Handworks To Learn In Nigeria Before You Japa by Mindlog: 5:14pm On Nov 12, 2023
You must have certification to work as a plumber in the UK.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Handworks To Learn In Nigeria Before You Japa by Panda7(m): 5:14pm On Nov 12, 2023
are beni still japaring?
Re: Handworks To Learn In Nigeria Before You Japa by Rebuker(m): 5:15pm On Nov 12, 2023
Also, these countries will pay you to move there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJEzEvf_95Q

Thank me later.
Re: Handworks To Learn In Nigeria Before You Japa by Reelmii: 5:16pm On Nov 12, 2023
Nice write up

1 Like

Re: Handworks To Learn In Nigeria Before You Japa by Emperormartin(m): 5:16pm On Nov 12, 2023
What of teaching Igbo as a private lesson?

7 Likes

Re: Handworks To Learn In Nigeria Before You Japa by FashionCookie(f): 5:16pm On Nov 12, 2023
Barbing especially...

1 Like

Re: Handworks To Learn In Nigeria Before You Japa by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:17pm On Nov 12, 2023
To buttress the OP's point :
Things are not all that rosy for Nigerians staying overseas.
You would have to work hard and smart to survive.
You must learn high-demand skills abroad if you have the intention to travel to Canada, the USA, Europe, etc.
Developed countries do not emphasize certificates like Nigeria. Your employability depends on your level of expertise.
There is nothing like I got the job because of my uncle or other types of corrupt practices.
We know family relatives who had difficulties settling abroad because of a lack of digital skills or handwork.
We know someone was able to succeed through her catering skills.
She was able to open a big restaurant because she knew how to cook delicious Nigerian meals.

The following is the list of handwork to learn before leaving Nigeria;
Tailoring
Plait Braid and Weave Hair
Makeup Artistry
Barbing
Electrician
Heavy Machine Operator
Phone & Laptop Repair
Auto Mechanic
Plumbing
Furniture Making
Carpentry
Welding
Construction
Cooking & Catering
Interior Decoration
Car Rewiring
Mow Flowers
Window Installation Service
Auto Body Painting

7 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Handworks To Learn In Nigeria Before You Japa by Omoawoke2(m): 5:17pm On Nov 12, 2023
omoredia:
Dirty jobs. Nigerians are aboki for abroad

Dirty jobs to you because you have been programmed to think everybody must be doing white collar jobs so you can look down on the rest like they dont matter.

The dignity of labor is well respected abroad and all animals are equal. You will see a beautiful girl will be proud to say her father is a plumber and that's her family business.
You will see a normal white babe or dude will say proudly that her family are into bakery.

And that's the business they do they use in living a quality life and sending their kids through college.

The kids even finish high school and start the family business.... they live a far better life than you..
You don't look down on labor in Western world

53 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Handworks To Learn In Nigeria Before You Japa by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:17pm On Nov 12, 2023
We watched a video where a popular Nigerian YouTuber living in Spain complained that sewing dress over there is expensive.

The amount for sewing a dress is more expensive than the price of the material itself.
It is even funnier because she would have to wait about two months before it gets ready.

May God bless the works of our hands

12 Likes 5 Shares

omoredia:
You wey get clean job, how mush dey ya account?
Orisirisi something cool

17 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Handworks To Learn In Nigeria Before You Japa by Mindlog: 5:17pm On Nov 12, 2023
omoredia:

What is dirty about those jobs?

9 Likes

Re: Handworks To Learn In Nigeria Before You Japa by Tjra: 5:17pm On Nov 12, 2023
Barbing should top the list.
Re: Handworks To Learn In Nigeria Before You Japa by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:18pm On Nov 12, 2023
Mindlog:

What is dirty about those jobs?
You dey mind d Mr Clean Job

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Handworks To Learn In Nigeria Before You Japa by fergie001: 5:18pm On Nov 12, 2023
Learn how to drive forklift.

19 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigerians Living In Qatar / Socail Visit Visa To Trinindad And Tobago. / My Trip To Russia & Teaching Experience In Russia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.