Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,087 members, 7,821,756 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:54 PM

Ard In It's Singular Form - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Ard In It's Singular Form (117 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ard In It's Singular Form by NICEEY: 12:40pm On Nov 15, 2023
Assalaamu Alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakaatuhu brothers and sisters. I was asked by my muallim to find out why the word ARD meaning earth in english does not have plural in Arabic. ARD always stay ARD in the Qur'an even in the plural form. I was the one who actually asked him the question and he gave it to me as an assignment quoting a great scholar that said it's not everything a student asks that he is told the answer. This happened almost a week ago and I still could not provide the answer. So yesterday he told me that if I did not provide the answer today that we will just be looking at each other till the day I provide the answer. Brothers and sisters this is my punishment, our Muallims here should pls enlighten us on this. Jazaakumullahu Khairan.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ard In It's Singular Form by Debangis20(m): 8:45pm On Nov 15, 2023
Aameen. I hope someone here could help out.

1 Like

Re: Ard In It's Singular Form by fawaz050(m): 6:38am On Dec 03, 2023
Ard actually has its plural form. The plural form is Araad or Al-araadiy or Araduun i.e أراض أو الأراضي أو أرضون.

The reason why samaahu is usually plural is because we have exosphere, ionosphere, stratosphere and the likes

Ard refers to earth, Although we have planets ( known as كواكب المجموعة الشمسيّة in Arabic) , planet earth (solely) is usually referred to as Ard.

Allah knows best.

NICEEY

1 Like

Re: Ard In It's Singular Form by NICEEY: 6:20pm On Jan 01
fawaz050:
Ard actually has its plural form. The plural form is Araad or Al-araadiy or Araduun i.e أراض أو الأراضي أو أرضون.

The reason why samaahu is usually plural is because we have exosphere, ionosphere, stratosphere and the likes

Ard refers to earth, Although we have planets ( known as كواكب المجموعة الشمسيّة in Arabic) , planet earth (solely) is usually referred to as Ard.

Allah knows best.

NICEEY

Thanks sir, but I don't think Ard has any plural form because it is not used in the Qur'an.

And secondly, the reason you gave for samaau usually been plural not valid because the Qur'an made it clear that there are seven heavens. All those you mentioned above are within the first heaven.

Planet earth been referred solely to as Ard as you said is also incorrect because there are many planets and the Qur'an also made it clear that there are seven earths in Q65:V12.

So this shows that there are more than one earth but the Qur'an always choose to use the singular form, there must be a reason to this.

ALLAH KNOWS BEST.
Re: Ard In It's Singular Form by fawaz050(m): 10:45pm On Jan 01
NICEEY:

Thanks sir, but I don't think Ard has any plural form because it is not used in the Qur'an.

And secondly, the reason you gave for samaau usually been plural not valid because the Qur'an made it clear that there are seven heavens. All those you mentioned above are within the first heaven.

Planet earth been referred solely to as Ard as you said is also incorrect because there are many planets and the Qur'an also made it clear that there are seven earths in Q65:V12.

So this shows that there are more than one earth but the Qur'an always choose to use the singular form, there must be a reason to this.

ALLAH KNOWS BEST.

Okay, thanks for the enlightenment. But I didn't make those plural form up. You can check the muhn'jam.

Allah knows best.
Re: Ard In It's Singular Form by NICEEY: 12:48am On Jan 02
fawaz050:

Okay, thanks for the enlightenment. But I didn't make those plural form up. You can check the muhn'jam.

Allah knows best.

Yes, you were right. Ard has a plural form, but it's plural form used by the Prophet is araadeen.

And i don't really get what this muhn'jam mean.
Re: Ard In It's Singular Form by fawaz050(m): 8:55am On Jan 02
NICEEY:

Yes, you were right. Ard has a plural form, but it's plural form used by the Prophet is araadeen.

And i don't really get what this muhn'jam mean.

Muhn'jam means dictionary. Another name for it is qaamus.

I wrote Araadun and its same with Araadeen. The reason for the difference is related to syntax rule (nah'Wu).

Allah knows best

1 Like

Re: Ard In It's Singular Form by NICEEY: 3:29pm On Jan 02
fawaz050:

Muhn'jam means dictionary another

I wrote Araadun and its same with Araadeen. The reason for the difference is related to syntax rule (nah'Wu).

Allah knows best

Jazaakallahu khair

(1) (Reply)

When Is Ramadan 1445AH Starting? / A Word On Carbon Dating / Sarafa Raaji Gbadebo The Greatest Lair

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.