Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,093 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:06 AM

Specs Of Your Computer? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Specs Of Your Computer? (4615 Views)

Impress Your Friends With Your Computer Tricks,hacks, And Tips / Browse The Net Using Your Phone Connected To Your Computer / PC Specs For Serious Gaming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Specs Of Your Computer? by ektbear: 9:53pm On Oct 27, 2011
I had a cheap craptop which finally appears to be quitting on me. So I bought a HP Pavilion DV6 laptop with a quadcore AMD processor and 8GB of RAM. Never had so much memory before in my life. Feels like heaven grin

640GB hard drive too.

You can get some pretty damn nice machines these days for very cheap.

Anyway, what do you use?

1 Like

Re: Specs Of Your Computer? by HumbleP: 10:37pm On Oct 27, 2011
ekt_bear:

I had a cheap craptop which finally appears to be quitting on me. So I bought a HP Pavilion DV6 laptop with a quadcore AMD processor and 8GB of RAM. Never had so much memory before in my life. Feels like heaven grin

640GB hard drive too.

You can get some pretty damn nice machines these days for very cheap.

Anyway, what do you use?
I say ur specs are stil trying to get there. While it is a great upgrade for you, I wouldn't gloat feel too fly if I were you.
Anyways, since u ask, I use a dv7 with a core i5 processor (2nd Generation) with 750GB HDD and 8GB Ram
I'm sure ur system has beat audio so, id not mention that.
In anycase, computers have come of age.
Then again, if you think so, what about phones which now come as dual core processors and soon, Quadcore Processors.
Some of these phones habe more memory than some computers. smiley
Your processor, is it the A6 or the A8?
Re: Specs Of Your Computer? by HumbleP: 10:39pm On Oct 27, 2011
forgive the typos, i was a bit sleepy grin
Re: Specs Of Your Computer? by ektbear: 11:14pm On Oct 27, 2011
Looks like it is the A8:

www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c02996677">http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c02996677

Btw the D7, looks like it uses Intel i7 processors, not i-5?

Heh maybe my specs aren't the best in the world, but I feel satisfied at the price I got it grin
Re: Specs Of Your Computer? by HumbleP: 11:27pm On Oct 27, 2011
yeah thats a good processor you got there but you would only feel its true performance in Multi-threaded applications. Unfortunately, if you are not a high-end developer or 3-D graphics animator, you would not feel the quad impact. Seeing as most desktop applications are single threaded - including word processing, internet, multimedia etc. The A8-3850 would have been the monster if you had gotten that. Albeit, you have a gargantuan upgrade there. I would love to spec your system sometime.

Did u get your system in Nigeria, I got mine from the US. inbox me the cost if you got it in Nigeria. (memyselfandi1960@hotmail.com)

Thumbs man!
HINT: Please, do not underutilise that system like most would do.
i run both cores on my system and constantly utilise over 60% of my 8GB Ram.
Also my system has 10.5 Hour battery life.
Re: Specs Of Your Computer? by ektbear: 11:42pm On Oct 27, 2011
I ordered it online from Best Buy and had it shipped to my house. ~$713 or so after taxes and the shipping fee. So about N107k.

I actually don't do much on the computer but write documents, code, and browse the internet. But I might start playing some video games, since this computer is powerful enough for that.
Re: Specs Of Your Computer? by HumbleP: 12:00am On Oct 28, 2011
thats funny! the dollar has not been N150 in a long time. Are you sure about ur conversion? When i purchased mine sometime in August, the dollar was amazingly 165 to 1 Naira. You also sed you shipped and the varying cost is not substancial enough to have been ourside the US. Am guessing you do not stay in Nigeria cos I know that BestBuy do not ship to Nigeria. I also bought from BestBuy. grin
Oh! Did i mention that your GPU is a class two card? (which is quite commendable). What the system might have lacked in CPU, it makes up for in GPU. (at least fairly).
Re: Specs Of Your Computer? by ektbear: 12:05am On Oct 28, 2011
Yeah I don't live there. Lol, would be nice if Best Buy did ship to naija grin

If we use N165 to a dollar, mark up the conversion I gave by 10%
Re: Specs Of Your Computer? by iGuru1(m): 12:07am On Oct 28, 2011
I still use my lovely window XP Os,
Acer 10inch notebook, 160gb, 1gb ram, webcam.
I also bought online from amazon. $250 shocked
Re: Specs Of Your Computer? by samir101ng(m): 12:35am On Oct 28, 2011
Hmm, nice specs you guys have !!!

But can your systems play Crysis ??

Check out my specs in my signature below.
Re: Specs Of Your Computer? by denzel2009: 6:35am On Oct 28, 2011
ekt_bear don fall my hand. I cant believe a pro like you would buy a glossy cheap laptop like this. I give it a year of active use before it goes to the shed. Let me tell you a secret, HP makes these laptops for home users and they are ordinarily designed to work the warranty which is one year.

Next time, buy business laptops like HP probook  or elitebook. They are designed to stand the test of time and anything you throw at them.

*** Don't put this laptop on your lap else your sausage would roast. cheesy
Re: Specs Of Your Computer? by ektbear: 6:43am On Oct 28, 2011
Lmao.

We shall see.

Link me to the model you'd have suggested getting?

BTW it runs pretty cool for now.

If it craps out within a year I'll get HP to replace it. 1 year warranty.
Re: Specs Of Your Computer? by denzel2009: 6:49am On Oct 28, 2011
ekt_bear:

Lmao.

We shall see.

Link me to the model you'd have suggested getting?

BTW it runs pretty cool for now.

If it craps out within a year I'll get HP to replace it. 1 year warranty.

It will crap out exactly after the warranty. Bookmark this page! If it doesn't how do you expect HP to make money from gullible consumers like you. If an organisation orders like 200 business laptops and they all die after a year, HP would lose their preferred supplier status within that organisation.

Google HP Elitebook and HP Probook. Spambot will hook me if I send a link.
Re: Specs Of Your Computer? by HumbleP: 6:50am On Oct 28, 2011
denzel2009:

ekt_bear don fall my hand. I cant believe a pro like you would buy a glossy cheap laptop like this. I give it a year of active use before it goes to the shed. Let me tell you a secret, HP makes these laptops for home users and they are ordinarily designed to work the warranty which is one year.

Next time, buy business laptops like HP probook  or elitebook. They are designed to stand the test of time and anything you throw at them.

*** Don't put this laptop on your lap else your sausage would roast. cheesy

The only thing I can say here is that you clearly do not have your facts right.
Yes, the system ekt_bear got is an entertainment system but every hard PC User knows that when it comes to perfomance, any gaming laptop at whatever level (entry, intermediate or advanced) would do the job. The higher the better. Also, there are other factors that come into play when buying a system. There is performance per watt consideration, there is is performance per cost. And if you asked me, I dont think ekt_bear has made a fallable error in purchasing this baby. You clealr do not understnd the fundamentals and differences of the noew pavilion series in comparison with any other series.
Do you know that because of the build of the Pavilion, the system does not overheat and makes almost no noise. Ask me, I know, cos i use a Dv7, 17.3", Core i5 2410 (2nd Genneratio) with a battery life of 10.5 hours as specified by HP. (Over 7hours for the core developers and users,a nd close to 9hours for multimedia and internet).
Also, business laptops are not exactly the best development platforms. they are simply more expensive cos of their thinness and lightness. Ask Apple if you're unsure!
Re: Specs Of Your Computer? by ektbear: 6:56am On Oct 28, 2011
Yeah this computer runs super-cool and super-quiet.

If it craps out in a year's time, I'll harass HP until they replace it.
Re: Specs Of Your Computer? by ektbear: 6:58am On Oct 28, 2011
Hell, if it craps out after a year, I won't be the only one b1tching at them.

Everyone else will too. And they'll get bad PR.

It isn't as if I bought a laptop from a company with a reputation for making shoddy products. HP is a good brand name.
Re: Specs Of Your Computer? by denzel2009: 7:01am On Oct 28, 2011
HumbleP:

The only thing I can say here is that you clearly do not have your facts right.
Yes, the system ekt_bear got is an entertainment system but every hard PC User knows that when it comes to perfomance, any gaming laptop at whatever level (entry, intermediate or advanced) would do the job. The higher the better. Also, there are other factors that come into play when buying a system. There is performance per watt consideration, there is is performance per cost. And if you asked me, I dont think ekt_bear has made a fallable error in purchasing this baby. You clealr do not understnd the fundamentals and differences of the noew pavilion series in comparison with any other series.
Do you know that because of the build of the Pavilion, the system does not overheat and makes almost no noise. Ask me, I know, cos i use a Dv7, 17.3", Core i5 2410 (2nd Genneratio) with a battery life of 10.5 hours as specified by HP. (Over 7hours for the core developers and users,a nd close to 9hours for multimedia and internet).
Also, business laptops are not exactly the best development platforms. they are simply more expensive cos of their thinness and lightness. Ask Apple if you're unsure!

Lmao. . . . a year is around the corner.

BTW, No Laptop will last 7hrs on batteries alone. Quote me!
Re: Specs Of Your Computer? by HumbleP: 7:04am On Oct 28, 2011
samir101ng:

Hmm, nice specs you guys have !!!

But can your systems play Crysis ??

Check out my specs in my signature below.

Yeah, I know your specs. With a 2nd Gen Quad i7 @1.6GHz which is very overclockable. (since you have 8GB of DDR3 RAM) and a class one GPU.
I have always respected ASUS for their gaming edge per cost in relative to other harware vendors. Although, the drawback to your machine would be power. Apparently, the system is not optimized for power saving. ekt_bear can use his switchable graphics when not doing anything graphically tasking. Albeit, I hand it to you man, thats a nice system you have there! Am sure it runs Crysis effectively cos your GPU makes it highly possible. Also the backlit keyboard is a good design advantage. I also like your screen resolution.
Re: Specs Of Your Computer? by samir101ng(m): 7:07am On Oct 28, 2011
HumbleP:

Yeah, I know your specs. With a 2nd Gen Quad i7 @1.6GHz which is very overclockable. (since you have 8GB of DDR3 RAM) and a class one GPU.
I have always respected ASUS for their gaming edge per cost in relative to other harware vendors. Although, the drawback to your machine would be power. Apparently, the system is not optimized for power saving. ekt_bear can use his switchable graphics when not doing anything graphically tasking. Albeit, I hand it to you man, thats a nice system you have there! Am sure it runs Crysis effectively cos your GPU makes it highly possible. Also the backlit keyboard is a good design advantage. I also like your screen resolution.

Toh Badt !!! cool cool cool
Re: Specs Of Your Computer? by HumbleP: 7:07am On Oct 28, 2011
denzel2009:

Lmao. . . . a year is around the corner.

BTW, No Laptop will last 7hrs on batteries alone. Quote me!

lol, I dont have to quote you.
i use one which outlives 7hours (depends on what you are doing).
If not because of my intenseive use, it goes btw 8 to 9hours.
You know you cannot win this cos I have proof. it is my laptop afterall  grin
Re: Specs Of Your Computer? by HumbleP: 7:10am On Oct 28, 2011
samir101ng:

Toh Badt !!! cool cool cool

Show Off, lmao.
I feel you anyway, I'd do same if I were in your shoes.
But i feel that as a developer it is also important that I am able to use my laptop for longer hours and your system does not provide that. So, I'd not totally hand it to you man! grin grin
Re: Specs Of Your Computer? by samir101ng(m): 7:35am On Oct 28, 2011
HumbleP:

Show Off, lmao.
I feel you anyway, I'd do same if I were in your shoes.
But i feel that as a developer it is also important that I am able to use my laptop for longer hours and your system does not provide that. So, I'd not totally hand it to you man! grin grin

I use my system primarily for Auto cad drawings, 3D Renderings and playing PC games. I needed a powerful system. Its connected to an 8Hr APC unit at home. I don't carry it much around and if i have to, i connect it to a power outlet. Batteries last 2hrs which is ok. When i bring out the beast, everybody's laptops starts to they malfunction. LOL !! grin grin But am upgrading soon. Have bought a desktop for my power needs but i still need a powerful laptop with a Sandybridge Core i7 and Nvidia Optimus technology. Am going for a 15" also so that its not too heavy.
Re: Specs Of Your Computer? by denzel2009: 7:36am On Oct 28, 2011
HumbleP:

lol,  I dont have to quote you.
i use one which outlives 7hours (depends on what you are doing).
If not because of my intenseive use, it goes btw 8 to 9hours.
You know you cannot win this cos I have proof. it is my laptop afterall  grin

Are you baba suwe cos you are funny. Your laptop last 8hrs of intensive use on batteries  shocked I'm not talking about using the calculator on the system o?

If laptops can last that long IMHO, tablets will not see light of the day.
Re: Specs Of Your Computer? by denzel2009: 7:39am On Oct 28, 2011
HumbleP:

I use Asus Tablet and it is wonderfully good.
Re: Specs Of Your Computer? by samir101ng(m): 8:46am On Oct 28, 2011
Hmm !! Moderator don post us for front page o !! grin grin
Re: Specs Of Your Computer? by zPixel(m): 9:27am On Oct 28, 2011
Just got a Dell Inspiron 17R  two months ago with Core i7 - 2.0Ghz, 8Gb RAM, Nvidia GeForce GT 525M 1GB, 17.3" , 750Gb hard-drive. Searched the whole of computer village for an i7 but i couldn't find so i decided to order from the US . The laptop itself costs N157k,  paid $100 for shipping. By the way i'm into 3D animation and gaming.
Re: Specs Of Your Computer? by xeleb(m): 9:57am On Oct 28, 2011
Help just got an acer aspire laptop with 4gd , 500 gb hardrive , due to this don't really look at other that is d process have assume it will be high like 2.3ghz, but to my suprise it is only 1.00ghz is there any way I can increase it, course I can play most game on it which is one of the reason I bought it,
Re: Specs Of Your Computer? by maxtum(m): 10:06am On Oct 28, 2011
Nice! just got this Toshiba Laptop

16.1 "
6Gb
640Gb Bit Camera
1Gb Video
Bluray Burner
3D Glasses
32/64 Bit
Window 7 Home.

sent to me from someone but don't think i need it! Love my Apple Sleek Air!
Re: Specs Of Your Computer? by ektbear: 10:14am On Oct 28, 2011
I was thinking about getting an Apple. But they charge too damn much for their hardware specs undecided

And while I like their OS, dual-booting Ubuntu + Windows will give me everything I really need.

To get the same specs from Apple would be like $2k+ undecided
Re: Specs Of Your Computer? by DoubleN(m): 10:16am On Oct 28, 2011
I use a Macbook Pro 2010 with Core2Duo 2.4Ghz, 8GB RAM, 500GB (Seagate Momentus SSD Hybrid) grin
Re: Specs Of Your Computer? by ektbear: 10:18am On Oct 28, 2011
How much did you spend on that? Probably 3X or 3.5X what I spent on my HP.
Re: Specs Of Your Computer? by DoubleN(m): 10:26am On Oct 28, 2011
ekt_bear:

How much did you spend on that? Probably 3X or 3.5X what I spent on my HP.
Well not at all! Got the Laptop from Amazon for $1049, Crucial 8GB RAM upgrade kit for about $140 and the Seagate Momentus XT SSD hybrid drive for about $130. Total cost less than $1400! ;

(1) (2) (Reply)

Who Can Help Hack Into A Gmail Account / Get Your USA Used Samsung NP-NC10 itel dual core, 160gb hdd, 2gb RAM, 10.2inch. / This Laptop Could Be What You're Looking For

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.