Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,872 members, 7,851,953 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 10:45 AM

ChatGPT: Sam Altman, CEO Of OpenAI Has Been Sacked - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / ChatGPT: Sam Altman, CEO Of OpenAI Has Been Sacked (695 Views)

Ebun Okubanjo, CEO Of Lekki Fitness & Gym Centre Slams Customer / Profile Of Allen Onyema (CEO Of Air Peace) / How Sandra Iheuwa Became CEO Of 5 Companies (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ChatGPT: Sam Altman, CEO Of OpenAI Has Been Sacked by ShoeGetSize: 11:56pm On Nov 17, 2023
The chief executive of OpenAI - the firm behind viral chatbot ChatGPT - has been ousted after the board said it no longer has confidence in him.

Sam Altman is to depart and will be replaced in the interim by Mira Murati, who is currently chief technology officer for the artificial intelligence company.

In a statement on Friday, OpenAI said the move follows a "deliberative review process by the board" which concluded that Altman "was not consistently candid in his communications with the board".

The statement said Altman's behaviour was hindering the board's ability to exercise its responsibilities.

Posting on social media following the announcement, Altman wrote: "I loved my time at OpenAI.

"It was transformative for me personally, and hopefully the world a little bit.

"Most of all, I loved working with such talented people. (I) will have more to say about what's next later."

Altman helped start OpenAI as a non-profit research laboratory in 2015.

But in the past year, he was thrust into the global spotlight as the face of OpenAI after ChatGPT exploded into public consciousness.

On Thursday, he took part in a CEO summit at the Asia-Pacific Economic Co-operation conference in San Francisco, where OpenAI is based.

Altman predicted AI will prove to be "the greatest leap forward of any of the big technological revolutions we've had so far".

But he also acknowledged the existential threat posed by the quantum leaps being taking by computers, and the need for guardrails to protect humanity.

"I really think the world is going to rise to the occasion and everybody wants to do the right thing," Altman said.

Mynd44 Lalasticlala

https://news.sky.com/story/board-of-chatgpt-maker-openai-ousts-co-founder-sam-altman-as-chief-executive-13010604

1 Like

Re: ChatGPT: Sam Altman, CEO Of OpenAI Has Been Sacked by SadiqBabaSani: 12:59am On Nov 18, 2023
He create a rival soonest
Re: ChatGPT: Sam Altman, CEO Of OpenAI Has Been Sacked by HeatSeeker(m): 1:02am On Nov 18, 2023
SadiqBabaSani:

Without Musk to support him, I doubt it. The guy should take a break.
Re: ChatGPT: Sam Altman, CEO Of OpenAI Has Been Sacked by Ekemini11: 2:57am On Nov 18, 2023
SadiqBabaSani:
He's a co-founder. That means he still have shares in the company and will transit to become a board member.
Re: ChatGPT: Sam Altman, CEO Of OpenAI Has Been Sacked by KillahPriest: 3:08am On Nov 18, 2023
HeatSeeker:

Without Musk to support him, I doubt it. The guy should take a break.
Musk has his own AI platform called Grok in the works that's so far proving to be more intelligent than Chatgpt
Re: ChatGPT: Sam Altman, CEO Of OpenAI Has Been Sacked by FreeStuffsNG: 5:08am On Nov 18, 2023
Ekemini11:

He's a co-founder. That means he still have shares in the company and will transit to become a board member.
Board membership is not automatic wink

We don't even know the full details yet, hopefully he will not be another Bank-Friedman who the regulators may pick up soon to answer for serious breaches. The only thing I sense now is that it's becoming another flop like metaverse, Twitter with all hype but no money but heavy record making losses to the investors.

A very good product doesn't need the kind of relentless hype being given to AI. I am not AI-skeptic but I will not be surprised if it's ultimately a commercial failure. Check my signature for free stuffs!
Re: ChatGPT: Sam Altman, CEO Of OpenAI Has Been Sacked by SparkleSix: 6:42am On Nov 18, 2023
KillahPriest:
Musk has his own AI platform called Grok in the works that's so far proving to be more intelligent than Chatgpt

Lol, there is no LLM right now that can go toe to toe with ChatGPT 3.5 turbo not even talking about GPT4.

I have used almost all of them. Claude, Llama, models from hugging face, Google bard e.t.c

So I don't know where you pulled that from.
Re: ChatGPT: Sam Altman, CEO Of OpenAI Has Been Sacked by lanre316: 9:42am On Nov 18, 2023
Following..
Re: ChatGPT: Sam Altman, CEO Of OpenAI Has Been Sacked by strictly4data: 10:46am On Nov 18, 2023
ChatGPT, the game changer.

God bless the brilliant minds behind chatGPT.
Re: ChatGPT: Sam Altman, CEO Of OpenAI Has Been Sacked by WantsandMore: 12:00pm On Nov 18, 2023
They want AGI
Re: ChatGPT: Sam Altman, CEO Of OpenAI Has Been Sacked by HeatSeeker(m): 1:54pm On Nov 18, 2023
WantsandMore:
They want AGI

A possible end to mankind
Re: ChatGPT: Sam Altman, CEO Of OpenAI Has Been Sacked by StarRiderr: 5:05pm On Nov 18, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
Board membership is not automatic wink

We don't even know the full details yet, hopefully he will not be another Bank-Friedman who the regulators may pick up soon to answer for serious breaches. The only thing I sense now is that it's becoming another flop like metaverse, Twitter with all hype but no money but heavy record making losses to the investors.

A very good product doesn't need the kind of relentless hype being given to AI. I am not AI-skeptic but I will not be surprised if it's ultimately a commercial failure. Check my signature for free stuffs!
Mr free stuff what is this free stuff that you're always giving

1 Like

Re: ChatGPT: Sam Altman, CEO Of OpenAI Has Been Sacked by WantsandMore: 1:56pm On Nov 26, 2023
HeatSeeker:

A possible end to mankind
No way, Men can build machines but I'm yet to hear where a machine builds a man. Machines will forever be limited by the intelligence & resources of it's builder. See Charles Babbages, Pascal et al. These pioneers built machines as intelligent as they could imagine, 100 years from now, what we term as intelligent may well be a stepping stone to something else while man continues to search for perfection in other Areas.

(1) (Reply)

PLS SUGGEST A MICRO FINANCE PROVIDER / I Need Someone That Can Be Provide Original Honey For Me. / Looking For Company That Pays Fixed Monthly Interest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.