Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,440 members, 7,819,624 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:24 PM

Between Western Dress Culture And Africa, Which Do You Prefer? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Between Western Dress Culture And Africa, Which Do You Prefer? (169 Views)

Africa Is Not Primitive, We Just Prefer Our Ways - Charity Ekezie (Video) / The Oldest Living Tree In Africa Which Had A Bar Inside Its Trunk / Culture And Tradition Of The Ogho (owo) Kingdom Of Ondo State. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Between Western Dress Culture And Africa, Which Do You Prefer? by Ezemann(m): 12:01pm On Nov 18, 2023
Guys let's discuss

Western dress culture versus African: my position.

The primary aim of dressing is to cover unclothedness. Beyond this, dressing serves as an article for fashion and adornment. More so, tells where a person comes from. For this reason, a Ghanaian and an Indian are known by their dressing pattern. It is important to note that every culture's dressing pattern is unique in itself and none should be seen as being superior to the other.

The context or the demands of this week's engagement stresses the preference between Western style dressing and African style dressing. To undertake this challenge, I will attempt to define western dressing style and African dressing style before I finally take my position.

The western style of dressing are the ones attributed to the inhabitants of Europe and the American continent. Most of the time, the men in their usual and official outfits appear in either suit and tie or jean and shirt or T-shirts while their women appear in skirts and blouses. In Africa however we see different dress patterns that most times are difficult to describe in English. Typical African men wear traditional outfits like wrapper on a long gown with a staff and hat. The women also tie wrapper called bubba with blouse and hair tie.

From the illustration above, one can deduce the uniqueness of each dressing pattern; however, I prefer to always appear on the western dress pattern because of its simplicity and easy to wear ability. With just trousers and shirt and off to wherever I wish to without taking lots of time to dress. Also, western dress makes me look smarter compared to that of Africa. With jean trouser, and a polo or T-shirt I can do things with ease and comfort.
It is also convenient for me whenever I appear in a Western dress pattern.

To sum it all, I prefer the western dress culture compared to African. However, it's the type of occasion that always determines the type of outfit I appear in. For traditional ceremonies like burials, marriages, and most church programmes I chose to appear in African wear, but on occasions like, works, partying, interviews, and sit outs, I prefer to appear western.

Thank you for reading this article.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Accelerationism / Trade Nigeria Organisation / What Do You Love About You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.