Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,822 members, 7,851,748 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 07:10 AM

A Note To The Newcomer - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / A Note To The Newcomer (181 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Note To The Newcomer by Darevofpeace(m): 7:20pm On Nov 18, 2023
As you travel to live abroad, these are a few things I think you should know.

Point 1 is related to the rest.

1. Each one for himself, God for us all: Don’t expect to rely on anyone for anything. Everyone is dealing with their issues and no one is prepared to add yours. I don’t know if it’s the system, but no one will be willing to do you unnecessary favours. Once you have this mentality, you lower your expectations.

2. Cut friends and family some slack. Don’t think you know someone in abrokyire so they are at your beck and call. No one is. The system is designed in such a way that time is premium and mentally, you have many things taking your attention.

3. Don’t take anything personal. If you call someone and they say they will call back and they don’t, don’t take it personal. If you need to call back, call back. For example, I have an uncle in Canada who doubles as both a financial/tax consultant and an immigration consultant. His office is always full and once he speaks to you, he’s billing you. I needed his attention sometime ago and he kept texting to say he was gonna call back and he never did for weeks. I just ambushed him. Anytime I need his advise or expertise, if he doesn’t pick up or return my call, I just go to his office and wait like everyone else. I remember when I was younger and didn’t know better I was upset with a family friend in England who never made time to see me. I was just a young lad.

4. Ghana might be hard or tough but because it’s familiar territory, you are conditioned to navigate your way more effortlessly. The lifestyle is also more laid back and you can always call friends or meet at some joint and unwind. If someone doesn’t even have money to give you, they can give you plenty of their time. Life is just laid back that you can see someone with money for just 2 shots chilling easily at some blue kiosk like there’s no tomorrow . In obimanso, the system might be smoother but it’s not as socially-oriented. Time is fast and furious and can also get lonely. If you are broke and it’s a cold season, +15 degrees, feels like -15. You need to understand this.

5. The bills will come at you hard and fast. You have to go in survival mode and be prepared to do any job to pay the bills… at least in the short term.

6. Networking is king. It’s everything. Find and attend networking events, find networking groups etc, always find a place to worship and network there. Places of worship are always the easiest places to find support. If you are a Christian too, know what church to go. Don’t go where they are interested in fleecing you of your small coins. A word to the wise….

7. Research, research, research. Research about anything you need and never stop digging. There are always hidden gems, opportunities or support you can access.

In summary, lower your expectations, network, be prepared to grind and understand that you are alone. With this mindset, you will be fine.

#Minister4Happiness

PS:

Thinking of studying in Canada? This is your plug.

www.vertexbridge.ca

(1) (Reply)

Lagos To Ekiti / Truck, Car Collide On Lagos-ibadan Highway / Which Resort Is The Most Beautiful In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.