Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,157 members, 7,815,029 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:31 AM

How Can One Prevent Theft Of Plaintain On Farm - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How Can One Prevent Theft Of Plaintain On Farm (422 Views)

Theft Of Farm Produce Spreads Across Nigeria / 2 Day Theory And On Farm Practical Goat Farming Training / UK Couple Train Trees To Grow As Furniture On Farm (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can One Prevent Theft Of Plaintain On Farm by excanny: 12:20am On Dec 02, 2023
I will like to get inputs of plantain farmers.

What is the best way to prevent theft of plantain when they are nearing harvest?

I'm really in need of advice as it's been a major discouragement for me to start.
Re: How Can One Prevent Theft Of Plaintain On Farm by FreeStuffsNG: 1:50am On Dec 02, 2023
excanny:

What is the best way to prevent theft of plantain when they are nearing harvest?

I'm really in need of advice as it's been a major discouragement for me to start.
Start first. Plantain takes time between it's fruiting and when they are ready for harvest. Once it's getting to harvest time, heighten your security and keep your ears close to the ground to monitor info on anyone seen with bunch of plantain
Re: How Can One Prevent Theft Of Plaintain On Farm by bassdow: 8:46am On Dec 02, 2023
excanny:

Easiest + cheapest + best way is, as soon as the time of fruiting approaches, build a small 1 room at the farm, and employ 1 or 2 Aboki to stay there. That's if you yourself can't afford to stay there for some reasons.

You don't need to stay or keep the security there from begining. Just wait till the plantains have approached time of fruiting. So long they know someone is always there, the few times the person isn't, they might never know.

Anything else e.g CCTV (most are cumbersome and not easily hidden from intruders), electric fence (requires added cost to install and power), spiritual way e.g juju (what if the person e.g myself no believe or fear juju? na to waka pass the JuJu go do wetin I wan do.) , Perimeter fencing, etc; are highly unreliable despite being super expensive.

Don't forget, you could employ someone there 24/7 the entire year BUT to keep cost to barest minimum, YOU or the Person only stay there as soon as the time of fruiting approaches. It takes approximately 2-months+ from start of fruiting to harvest.

3 Likes

Re: How Can One Prevent Theft Of Plaintain On Farm by Tickles001(m): 10:39am On Dec 02, 2023
excanny:

Where are you starting the farm. Is farm theft rampant in that area. Have you asked others?
Re: How Can One Prevent Theft Of Plaintain On Farm by benzion72(m): 11:23am On Dec 02, 2023
Deep taught. Theft of farmers harvest is rampant everywhere. It is not peculiar to plantain even cocoa are stolen from the tree.
One of my mentor said you farm for three entities thieves, monkey and other animal then yourself

1 Like

Re: How Can One Prevent Theft Of Plaintain On Farm by Lovemeharder(f): 3:55am On Dec 03, 2023
Hunger is in the land.
Re: How Can One Prevent Theft Of Plaintain On Farm by Waffarianman(m): 2:21pm On Dec 03, 2023
excanny:

If you can afford a room apartment for you to stay there for sometime and try and have like 3,4 dogs to watch the place for any intruder
Re: How Can One Prevent Theft Of Plaintain On Farm by excanny: 3:17pm On Dec 03, 2023
Waffarianman:

If you can afford a room apartment for you to stay there for sometime and try and have like 3,4 dogs to watch the place for any intruder

Dogs to patrol 10 acres?

How many dogs and which breed?
Re: How Can One Prevent Theft Of Plaintain On Farm by Waffarianman(m): 3:49pm On Dec 03, 2023
excanny:

Dogs to patrol 10 acres?

If you can't afford expensive dogs go local breed and use some local medicine for them to be aggressively against theifs
Re: How Can One Prevent Theft Of Plaintain On Farm by 1TrippleCee: 4:07pm On Dec 03, 2023
excanny:

Dogs to patrol 10 acres?

One single dog can patrol ten to twent acres. A very good German shepherd with a farm secrity personnel employed only at month of fruiting
Re: How Can One Prevent Theft Of Plaintain On Farm by excanny: 4:17pm On Dec 03, 2023
1TrippleCee:

One single dog can patrol ten to twent acres. A very good German shepherd with a farm secrity personnel employed only at month of fruiting

I wouldn't want a dog that a python will easily swallow.

Not sure a German Shepherd will be a good fit, except u have used one yourself for such task.
Re: How Can One Prevent Theft Of Plaintain On Farm by nurey(m): 10:37am On Dec 04, 2023
excanny:

Not sure a German Shepherd will be a good fit, except u have used one yourself for such task.

you cant eradicate theft completely but you can reduce it. start by cordoning of the easiest gateaway area using fortified wire net in that area, those sides closest to major road are secured because no thief will want to steal from there. build accommodation in other grey areas and employ people to secure it, it is also good to build house, water unit etc which attracts traffic, traffic will mitigate against theft.
Re: How Can One Prevent Theft Of Plaintain On Farm by spinna: 11:37am On Dec 04, 2023
excanny:

A fit Boerboel..would be best i feel..

By fit i mean one that is able to move well without tiring..not some that are bred only for size and would easily get tired .

Boerboel literally means (African) Farm Dog

Bred for defense against animal and human farm intruders

(1) (Reply)

New Nairalander / .. / Broilers For Sale In Large Quantity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.