Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,758 members, 7,824,178 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:05 AM

Difference Between GPRS And EDGE - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Difference Between GPRS And EDGE (6595 Views)

Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte / MTN GPRS on PC Using Phone Modem or Bluetooth? / MTN/Glo GPRS Configuration for Windows Smartphones? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Difference Between GPRS And EDGE by double08(m): 1:10am On Oct 31, 2011
When am traveling sometimes by blackberry shows GPRS or EDGE and I cant really tell the difference because their speed is the same. Can someone please tell me the difference?
Re: Difference Between GPRS And EDGE by simeonval: 12:42pm On Oct 31, 2011
if there is no difference you would not have asked.
Re: Difference Between GPRS And EDGE by Nobody: 12:45pm On Oct 31, 2011
Google is ur friend
Re: Difference Between GPRS And EDGE by paniki(m): 12:57pm On Oct 31, 2011
How about 3G?
Re: Difference Between GPRS And EDGE by Mobinga: 1:09pm On Oct 31, 2011
Jesus. Was it that fucking hard to search google

http://www.google.com.ng/search?gcx=c&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=Difference+Between+Gprs+And+Edge

And how the Bleep did this weak thread make the front page?

@OP No offence
Re: Difference Between GPRS And EDGE by Bisijohn: 1:17pm On Oct 31, 2011
The difference btween the three is just the speed. In a layman language,It is like comparing, a  Moto cycle, a car and a Aeroplane. GPRS can only do between 56kb/s and 114kb/s as in the rate of data transfer. EDGE is an enhacement over GPRS,it can do almost 4 times of GPRS, btween 238-473kbit/s  approximately. And then 3G is the fastest, it can do up to 2Mbit/s. I hope this helps a little?
Re: Difference Between GPRS And EDGE by highland(m): 1:29pm On Oct 31, 2011
Speed is the only difference.
Re: Difference Between GPRS And EDGE by skeed19: 2:01pm On Oct 31, 2011
Bisijon, i like pple like u, thanks and to that goat that compares Christ ND HIS USELESS STAEMENTS, MAY gOD FORGIVE YOU, PPLE LIKE U FEEL THEY ARE IMPRESSING ONLINE WHILE U ARE ACTUALLY DIGGING YOUR SIT FULL GRAVE.
Re: Difference Between GPRS And EDGE by vitality22(m): 2:09pm On Oct 31, 2011
skeed19:

Bisijon, i like pple like u, thanks and to that goat that compares Christ ND HIS USELESS STAEMENTS, MAY gOD FORGIVE YOU, PPLE LIKE U FEEL THEY ARE IMPRESSING ONLINE WHILE U ARE ACTUALLY DIGGING YOUR SIT FULL GRAVE.

Dont mind him
Re: Difference Between GPRS And EDGE by begwong: 2:41pm On Oct 31, 2011
vitality22:

Dont mind him

don't mind him-2nded
Re: Difference Between GPRS And EDGE by Mobinga: 2:52pm On Oct 31, 2011
skeed19:

Olodo.
Re: Difference Between GPRS And EDGE by paniki(m): 3:05pm On Oct 31, 2011
How about HSDPA?
Re: Difference Between GPRS And EDGE by paniki(m): 3:26pm On Oct 31, 2011
How about LTE?
Re: Difference Between GPRS And EDGE by Mcleo007(m): 3:54pm On Oct 31, 2011
Difference is this: Gprs=2G, Edge=2.5G and its d middle point btw 2g and 3g.
Re: Difference Between GPRS And EDGE by jaydenbash: 4:09pm On Oct 31, 2011
GPRS: General Packet Radio Service. It is a 2G (2nd Generation) technology. It is the first data solution introduced on GSM that is packet switched
EDGE: Enhanced Data rates for GSM Evolution. Enhanced GPRS. 2.5G technology
UMTS: Universal Mobile Telecommunications System. 3G
HSDPA: High-Speed Downlink Packet Access. It is enhanced 3G also called 3.5G

You may not notice any difference in speed on most networks because the operators are cheating us. While the specified speeds are achievable between you and the BTS or NodeB (that is where you see the mast) the networks introduce bottlenecks along the path that make it almost impossible to reach the speed limit.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between GPRS And EDGE by ebecode(m): 4:53pm On Oct 31, 2011
The browsing and downloading speed of 3g is higher than GPRS or EDGE & u can also make video call on 3g network as against GPRS.
Re: Difference Between GPRS And EDGE by Konnektions146(m): 5:22pm On Oct 31, 2011
@bisiJon
weldone, i wonder y people are fond of abusing and making caricature of others,
he who wanna learn are not afraid to ask.

lets learn to be humble is helping people learn.

@ Op, as layman, bisijon just tried for yu
Re: Difference Between GPRS And EDGE by bright007(f): 6:01pm On Oct 31, 2011
good replies
Re: Difference Between GPRS And EDGE by samyng(m): 9:20pm On Oct 31, 2011
[size=13pt]My brother there is a little difference. On GPRS network there is no way you can open a webpage But on Edge network its better but very slow. At least managable, I will advise not to even bother to open a webpage when your phone signal changes to GPRS[/size]
Re: Difference Between GPRS And EDGE by EfeEkarume(m): 3:25pm On Nov 01, 2011
The difference is in its spelling : )
Re: Difference Between GPRS And EDGE by ncpat(m): 3:58pm On Nov 01, 2011
This is one thing i hate about people in this nairaland, they will start a topic looking for an answer and when the answer is given, they will not come back to say thank you. If you see them with BB you think they know a lot.
Re: Difference Between GPRS And EDGE by Saipro(m): 4:25pm On Nov 01, 2011
With so many search engines; and frankly, all you had to do was venture to ask a few friends. I hereby request that ALL inane questions be redirected to different board. Seun, please create a noob board. Thanks!

(1) (Reply)

Shocking Message I Received From MTN / Tecno T1 Vs Tecno N3 / MTN 4G-LTE Is Live

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.