Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,948 members, 7,845,054 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 11:45 AM

Can We Change Our Destiny? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can We Change Our Destiny? (7052 Views)

Truth About Our Destiny / The Words We Speak Shapes Our Destiny / Is It True That Our Destiny Is In Our Hands? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can We Change Our Destiny? by BABE3: 1:46pm On Nov 01, 2011
Tonye-t:

Man-the-changer: Pls explain?

Jeez-- grin Aight.

Mr. A is destined to be great--like super, duper, great; President-great. That's "God's plan" for his life.

Mr. A got into the high school/University and rolled with the wrong people. As a result of that, he deviated from his christian ways, and became a hardcore alcoholic.

Mr. A is got hit by a car due to his drunk state, and died.

We clear?
Re: Can We Change Our Destiny? by Tonyet1(m): 1:46pm On Nov 01, 2011
OLAADEGBU:

Your decision determines your destiny.

Hi brother,

Long time! On the comment above, pls expantiate as related to Pharoah's fate, Esau's fate, and most importantly Iscariot's. Thanx
Re: Can We Change Our Destiny? by Nobody: 1:48pm On Nov 01, 2011
BABE!:

Jeez-- grin Aight.

Mr. A is destined to be great--like super, duper, great; President-great. That's "God's plan" for his life.

Mr. A got into the high school/University and rolled with the wrong people. As a result of that, he deviated from his christian ways, and became a hardcore alcoholic.

We clear?

Lol, So Mr. A's actions were more influential than his supposed 'destiny'. If destiny were real, he would survive and get on with his life.
Re: Can We Change Our Destiny? by BABE3: 1:53pm On Nov 01, 2011
musKeeto:

Lol, So Mr. A's actions were more influential than his supposed 'destiny'. If destiny were real, he would survive and get on with his life.

I don't know if destiny is real or not. However, I know we, as humans can make choices. God gave us that freedom/liberty. He could have made robots instead of the first man and woman, and controlled them to do his will. BUT, he didn't. You're not forced to live according to his will and plan. He can force you, but he chooses not to.

So yh, I believe if destiny is real, we can change it.
Re: Can We Change Our Destiny? by Tonyet1(m): 1:55pm On Nov 01, 2011
BABE!:

Jeez-- grin Aight.

We clear?

Thanks! but how are we so sure that all these ^^ couldnt just be some 'orchestrated events' divinely scripted by the 'playwright' who by design knows the end of a thing from the beginning" - Isaiah 46:10  smiley

IMO, destiny means more than scenarios of a bad guy turning good. . .the onus is how are we so sure his new turn wasnt part of his fate.
Re: Can We Change Our Destiny? by BABE3: 1:59pm On Nov 01, 2011
^^ Exactly. I wouldn't know what his real/true destiny/fate is. But if being great is his destiny, you'll agree with me that he changed his destiny all by himself.
Re: Can We Change Our Destiny? by Tonyet1(m): 2:00pm On Nov 01, 2011
BABE!:

I don't know if destiny is real or not. However, I know we, as humans can make choices. God gave us that freedom/liberty. He could have made robots instead of the first man and woman, and controlled them to do his will. BUT, he didn't. You're not forced to live according to his will and plan. He can force you, but he chooses not to.

So yh, I believe if destiny is real, we can change it.

The word 'robot' on the issue of 'destiny' has been bastardized by many. As far as i see and understand man in the scheme of divinity we are nothing more than robots. . .yes robots with ability to take decisions and choices that IMO still add up to the 'divine script'.
Re: Can We Change Our Destiny? by Nobody: 2:05pm On Nov 01, 2011
If God created us and gave us freewill, then it simply means no one has a destiny. U can't have a free choice and still have a destiny.

Life, for me is a bus station. So many buses, ITC, RTC :d heading in different directions. The one you get on depends on where you get to. Halfway there, you still have a choice to drop off and get on another bus heading back the way you came. Therefore, your ACTION influences your LATER OUTCOME( DESTINY). your USE of your FREEWILL will create your ENDING (DESTINY)
Re: Can We Change Our Destiny? by Tonyet1(m): 2:07pm On Nov 01, 2011
BABE!:

^^ Exactly. I wouldn't know what his real/true destiny/fate is. But if being great is his destiny, you'll agree with me that he changed his destiny all by himself.

Now you are getting there my friend. The fact is and still remains that "no one knows their destinies' because I believe God will not allow us to know, getting one to know their destiny will/could only amount to them knowing it and changing it. And should this happen, it will distort 'the script' and ineviable create 'unbalance'.
Re: Can We Change Our Destiny? by BABE3: 2:10pm On Nov 01, 2011
Tonye-t:

The word 'robot' on the issue of 'destiny' has been bastardized by many. As far as i see and understand man in the scheme of divinity we are nothing more than robots. . .yes robots with ability to take decisions and choices that IMO still add up to the 'divine script'.

I disagree. We are not robots. I don't think you know what a robot is. lol. Im not talking about the robots from the movie "I robot", I'm talking about robots that are totally controlled. They have no power to do their own will.

If robots can make their decisions, then that defeats the whole purpose of them being robots.

So in short, you think everything to going according to God's plan/script? The world as it is now is God's initial plan?
Re: Can We Change Our Destiny? by Tonyet1(m): 2:16pm On Nov 01, 2011
musKeeto:

If God created us and gave us freewill, then it simply means no one has a destiny. U can't have a free choice and still have a destiny.

Life, for me is a bus station. So many buses, ITC, RTC :d heading in different directions. The one you get on depends on where you get to. Halfway there, you still have a choice to drop off and get on another bus heading back the way you came. Therefore, your ACTION influences your LATER OUTCOME( DESTINY).  your USE of your FREEWILL will create your ENDING (DESTINY)

Nah nah nah. . .you are geting yourself twisted!

What is this freewill of a thing we keep throwing up every now and then. For me, i see freewill as nothing more than a patch amidst the full code Lets say you create a money exhange software application and added a freebie in it  to read up time alerts and lets say you put in a patch code to allow the software read out the time in any language of its choice(random selection) and when 12noon ticked the software blew it in hausa. Isnt that a freewill?
Re: Can We Change Our Destiny? by buzugee(m): 2:24pm On Nov 01, 2011
changing your destiny is part of your destiny. point being, while you think you are changing something, you really are not. a good analogy, i create a maze that has 2 ends. a start end and a finish end. i put a rat at the start end. and i know the destiny of the rat is to get to the finish end because i created the rat and the maze and hence can see the rats mind. while the rat may decide to go through a short cut to get to the end and his lil mind thinking he has changed his route, but all the while i already knew the route he was going to go through. see he thinks he changed his destiny. in actuality he did not. in short, its an illusion in your mind if you think you changed your destiny.
Re: Can We Change Our Destiny? by Tonyet1(m): 2:28pm On Nov 01, 2011
BABE!:

I disagree. We are not robots. I don't think you know what a robot is. lol. Im not talking about the robots from the movie "I robot", I'm talking about robots that are totally controlled. They have no power to do their own will.

If robots can make their decisions, then that defeats the whole purpose of them being robots.

So in short, you think everything to going according to God's plan/script? The world as it is now is God's initial plan?

Lols. . .so what makes you think we arent similar to the i-robot thingy. Robot by definition means a machine capable of carrying out complex series of actions automatically as programmed by a designer.

Now tell me, what makes you think Man is any different from this robot carrying out complex series of actions. Robots are made of metals {not all though} and Man made of clay, robots function by the codes in them, Man(christian or sinner) functions by the breathe of God. . . are we then any different?

P.S Genesis 2:7 says the clay was called a MAN before the breathe came into him. . . meaning the breathe did not make the clay become a MAN rather the clay was a MAN before the breathe. Just like robots are robots before the code thingy. . . understand? wink grin grin grin

Humans are just too afraid to admit the truth! I understand, its a nAtUrAl thingy! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Can We Change Our Destiny? by trusted(m): 2:48pm On Nov 01, 2011
Every thing that happens to you is your destiny. A person said everybody is born to be great, then why was not everybody rich like MKO or Dangote. Whatever way/method you take/use and lead you to a destination is your destiny, remember many people have pass/use that way/method and did not arrive at the same destination as you. Maybe prayer change destiny.
Re: Can We Change Our Destiny? by BABE3: 2:54pm On Nov 01, 2011
Tonye-t:

Lols. . .so what makes you think we arent similar to the i-robot thingy. Robot by definition means a machine capable of carrying out complex series of actions automatically as programmed by a designer.

Now tell me, what makes you think Man is any different from this robot carrying out complex series of actions. Robots are made of metals {not all though} and Man made of clay, robots function by the codes in them, Man(christian or sinner) functions by the breathe of God. . . are we then any different?

P.S Genesis 2:7 says the clay was called a MAN before the breathe came into him. . . meaning the breathe did not make the clay become a MAN rather the clay was a MAN before the breathe. Just like robots are robots before the code thingy. . . understand? wink grin grin grin

Humans are just too afraid to admit the truth! I understand, its a nAtUrAl thingy! grin grin grin grin grin

What's making you laugh, and why are you shinning teeth and winking? lol.

Errrm sweerat, let's get one thing straight. The divine script/robot theory is your theory; it's what you believe. That doesn't make it the truth.

There's nothing to be afraid to admit. I wouldn't mind the idea of God controlling my every move. Who am I to complain?

What does your reference to Gen 2:7 have to do with being a robot? God made the shape of a man from clay and his breath made it a living being----how is that a robotic reference?

Anyways, God is powerful and far too kind. He has good plans for everyone. He gave those chickens in Eden freewill and that messed his plans up. That caused a chain reaction till he had to bring his son to the world. Bringing his son solved parts of the "problem" (like Noah's ark) and It proved something; he loves us.

Through all these BS he still proves that he's God. That's the joyful part.  cheesy
Re: Can We Change Our Destiny? by dinah777: 2:55pm On Nov 01, 2011
yes we can.
Re: Can We Change Our Destiny? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:26pm On Nov 01, 2011
Tonye-t:

Hi brother,

Long time! On the comment above, pls expantiate as related to Pharoah's fate, Esau's fate, and most importantly Iscariot's. Thanx

How you dey my dear fellowsoldier?

The statement I made says that the decisions we make here on earth determines where we are going to spend eternity. When God created everything He made Adam and Eve to be in charge but they had to choose to obey God. Their decision to obey or disobey had its attendant reward and consequences respectively. Today God still reigns sovereign and has a plan and purpose for our lives. Those who have made the decision to accept Jesus Christ as their personal Saviour and Lord have accepted God's plan which includes our joy and glory in this world and in the world to come.

As for the fate of Pharaoh, Esau and Iscariot God's providence was in place. God has a plan for His creation, these men had freewills, there is the law of cause and effect and fighting against God's plan is pointless. If we choose out of our free will to disobey God remember that there is the law of cause and effect in place but God's plan will still come to pass.

God planned that the Israelites will be in Egypt for about 400 years and when the time was up no one will stop God from moving them out, not even Pharaoh. The laws of nature works the same way, when the sun heats clay it gets hardened and when it heats the porous sand it gets coarse. When their is rainfall on both type of earth the muddy one will not allow the water to percolate while the coarse sand permits rainwater to go through. The state of Pharaoh's heart determined his destiny.
Re: Can We Change Our Destiny? by ogajim(m): 4:54pm On Nov 01, 2011
@OP, NO!

You can't change what you don't know, everyone believes they are somehow supposed to be "great" without knowing fully well God's intention and purpose for them.

There is ABSOLUTELY no way you can screw up God's intention for your life, even when you roll with the wrong folks, God will send an Angel to deliver you back to the track he set out for you.

Was Jonah able to escape God's mission for him? "Destiny changers" is a HUGE lie being bought and sold in today's "WOF/PROSPERITY" based Churches of today where everyone is somehow supposed to be rich like Bill Gates whether that will block their Salvation or not.
Re: Can We Change Our Destiny? by finofaya: 5:19pm On Nov 01, 2011
I don't think destiny can be changed. The word means what u'll end up being in life and it is usually when a man has died that you can say he fulfilled his destiny. I don't believe a man can know what his life will turn out to be cos life is too complex and mysterious to allow a man that kind of knowledge. Since you do not know what you will end up as i.e. what ur destiny is, how can you purport to change it? From what to what will you be changing it? What ur doing now could lead u to success and u may not know it. The best you can to is try to live an upright life and avoid things that are certain to lead you to a bad end and leave the rest for the God you believe in. Remember, the destiny of a living person cannot be known. Live an intelligent life and maybe at ur end people will refer to you as a great man.
Re: Can We Change Our Destiny? by Nobody: 5:26pm On Nov 01, 2011
BABE!:

What's making you laugh, and why are you shinning teeth and winking? lol.

Errrm sweerat, let's get one thing straight. The divine script/robot theory is your theory; it's what you believe. That doesn't make it the truth.

There's nothing to be afraid to admit. I wouldn't mind the idea of God controlling my every move. Who am I to complain?

What does your reference to Gen 2:7 have to do with being a robot? God made the shape of a man from clay and his breath made it a living being----how is that a robotic reference?

Anyways, God is powerful and far too kind. He has good plans for everyone. He gave those chickens in Eden freewill and that messed his plans up. That caused a chain reaction till he had to bring his son to the world. Bringing his son solved parts of the "problem" (like Noah's ark) and It proved something; he loves us.

Through all these BS he still proves that he's God. That's the joyful part.  cheesy

Hope this thread doesn't change to a 'Is there a God' thread, we're on the borders now,
Re: Can We Change Our Destiny? by BABE3: 5:35pm On Nov 01, 2011
musKeeto:

Hope this thread doesn't change to a 'Is there a God' thread, we're on the borders now,

It shouldn't. The topic is "Can we change our destiny?", not "Do you believe in destiny?"
Re: Can We Change Our Destiny? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:52pm On Nov 01, 2011
Christians believe in the providence of God, Muslims and Hindus believe in fatalism.
Re: Can We Change Our Destiny? by makonko(m): 6:19pm On Nov 01, 2011
You can't change it no matter what you do. It is pre-ordained
Re: Can We Change Our Destiny? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:25pm On Nov 01, 2011
That is fatalism.
Re: Can We Change Our Destiny? by Nobody: 6:45pm On Nov 01, 2011
BABE!:

It shouldn't. The topic is "Can we change our destiny?", not "Do you believe in destiny?"
If we start a grammar argument, then the question 'Can we change our destiny' is a tautology. cheesy

From wiki,  (I tire for this pple at time sha)

Destiny is seen as the final outcome, independently of the events that precedes, which are inevitable and unchangeable per themselves, but as a sequence, could be arranged and rearranged in order to arrive to the final outcome.

There is the often confusing argument that individuals can choose their own destiny by selecting different "paths" throughout their life, even though the different courses of action the individuals take nonetheless lead to a very predetermined destiny.

To escape the contradiction (the incompatibility of philosophical terminology) of this argument and fully support the concept of destiny, most believe it necessary to declare and accept this notion of choice (free will) as illusion.

Another belief, known as Micaic Destiny, states that free will and destiny can coincide in harmony. This argument states that we all make only one unchangeable choice every moment. Simply because a certain choice will inevitably be made does NOT mean that we do not make our own decisions. This belief assumes that we have no power to accurately and precisely predict the future.

Love ur pic by the way. wish say i fyn reach you, i for upload my own grin
Re: Can We Change Our Destiny? by stildude(m): 6:46pm On Nov 01, 2011
I'll tell you guys a story that has been told several times before.  A man died and went to heaven. He met with angel gabriel and asked him a question. He asked  who the greatest war general that ever walked the face of the earth is. Angel Gabriel replied ''that's easy'' That man, pointing to a particular tomb stone. The man was surprised and thought honestly that the angel was wrong and he didn't hide it from him. He told the angel that he knew the man and he lived close to him on earth and that he was a poor plumber. Then, the angel replied '' it is because, he never got into the army hence he couldn't accomplish the destiny of the greatest warrior on earth''
So guys, you see, if you are born to be great or to become perhaps the greatest musician on earth but you never did develop those inherent talents wired in you to make you the greatest musician, rather, under pressure from your parents, you went and studied law. You may like to sing at home or whistle in your chamber. but that is how close you gonna get to being a musician.
Re: Can We Change Our Destiny? by Nobody: 6:54pm On Nov 01, 2011
stildude:

I'll tell you guys a story that has been told several times before.  A man died and went to heaven. He met with angel gabriel and asked him a question. He asked  who the greatest war general that ever walked the face of the earth is. Angel Gabriel replied ''that's easy'' That man, pointing to a particular tomb stone. The man was surprised and thought honestly that the angel was wrong and he didn't hide it from him. He told the angel that he knew the man and he lived close to him on earth and that he was a poor plumber. Then, the angel replied '' it is because, he never got into the army hence he couldn't accomplish the destiny of the greatest warrior on earth''
So guys, you see, if you are born to be great or to become perhaps the greatest musician on earth but you never did develop those inherent talents wired in you to make you the greatest musician, rather, under pressure from your parents, you went and studied law. You may like to sing at home or whistle in your chamber. but that is how close you gonna get to being a musician.

1. Is anyone not born to be great?

Everyone born is born with a potential. Whether that potential will be fulfilled is a different story. First of all the parents. Then the environment. Then later when he/she is old enough, the kid. Considering all the randomness involved in this, it's difficult to say one has a destiny.

Would you say those that ended up in the WTC had that as their destiny? Wasn't it evil actions that led them there? My point is if your belief in destiny only succeeds in making you irresponsible towards personal development and making a positive contribution to the world around you, then f**k it,
Re: Can We Change Our Destiny? by stildude(m): 7:14pm On Nov 01, 2011
musKeeto:

1. Is anyone not born to be great?

Everyone born is born with a potential. Whether that potential will be fulfilled is a different story. First of all the parents. Then the environment. Then later when he/she is old enough, the kid. Considering all the randomness involved in this, it's difficult to say one has a destiny.

Would you say those that ended up in the WTC had that as their destiny? Wasn't it evil actions that led them there? My point is if your belief in destiny only succeeds in making you irresponsible towards personal development and making a positive contribution to the world around you, then f**k it,

I Mentioned the boldened before. The WTC victims chose their career, chose their location hence ultimately decided their fate. One thing I actually believe is that if you are playing along with a God Pre determined occurrence for you life, You will not be cut off prematurely. Even death cannot stop a man on a mission. But that's just my belief.
Re: Can We Change Our Destiny? by Image123(m): 8:17pm On Nov 01, 2011
Noreasy frontpage.
Re: Can We Change Our Destiny? by tpia5: 10:42pm On Nov 01, 2011
The answer is yes and no.

Some parts of destiny can be changed eg if you were headed for hell before, you can change your destination. Spiritual aspect, in other words.

However, some aspects of our earthly life might be fixed but what those are, only God knows imo and the best we can do is trust him and believe in his word.

Also, not worry about these things.
Re: Can We Change Our Destiny? by puravida: 8:12am On Nov 02, 2011
Destiny can absolutely be changed because it is an illusion. Destiny is a choice and you have it in your own hands, God says it has been given unto you to choose the path to walk, As you have the liberty and the freewill to choose between good or evil so as you have the liberty to control your own destiny.

For example, God Gives every bird it's food, but He does not throw it into its nest, it depends on every bird to look for foods , it is in the hands of every bird to die with empty stomach or to spread their wings and go out of their nests to look for food.

Pura Vida.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Do You Chase Out A Monitoring Spirit From A Building?? / Wedding Photos: Pastor Matthew Ashimolowo’s Son, Tomi Weds Dorothy In Style / Salvation Is Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.