Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,180 members, 7,815,137 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:01 AM

Passengers Experience Chaos As Conveyor Belts At MMIA Breakdown - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Passengers Experience Chaos As Conveyor Belts At MMIA Breakdown (23397 Views)

Pictures Of The New International Terminal At MMIA / CODVID19 - Passengers Experience At POE / Samuel Getachew Complains Of Extortion By Immigration Officers At MMIA, Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Passengers Experience Chaos As Conveyor Belts At MMIA Breakdown by politicoNG: 3:27pm On Dec 10, 2023
The conveyor belts at the newly opened terminal of the Murtala Mohammed International Airport (MMIA), Lagos on Sunday collapsed, causing chaos for passengers and other airport workers at the terminal.

Information gathered by Nairametrics indicated that the collapse of the new conveyor belts led to crisis for some of the foreign travellers who arrived in the country on Sunday and were delayed in retrieving their check-in luggage.

Passengers experiencing crisis
It was also learnt that the airside workers of the airport had a harrowing experience loading the bags of the passengers manually, thereby slowing down the process.

A source close to the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN), told our correspondent on Sunday that the management made frantic efforts at resolving the challenge, but was unable to rescue the situation as at the time of filing this report.

Belts breaking down at intervals
Our source alleged that the newly installed conveyor belts break down almost 30 minutes daily, especially during the peak period.

Early morning flights especially from the West Coast and Europe to the airport were affected by the disruption.

The source also told our correspondent that it was not the first time the terminal, which was fully opened for operations in September would experience such collapse in recent weeks.

One of the affected passengers who didn’t want his name in print said: “There’s is a serious crisis here, please come to our rescue. The belt we are told to use is also epileptic. We need urgent attention on the situation of this belt, please.”

When contacted for comment on the issue, Mr. Abdullahi Funtua, the Director of Public Affairs and Consumer Protection, FAAN, could not be reached for comments as he didn’t respond to a phone call made to his phone at the time of this report.

https://nairametrics.com/2023/12/10/lagos-airport-conveyor-belts-breakdown-as-passengers-experience-chaos/

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Passengers Experience Chaos As Conveyor Belts At MMIA Breakdown by immortalcrown(m): 3:29pm On Dec 10, 2023
Yes, it is an accident. But such an accident is easily avoidable..

Naija is a disgrace. I am happy no life was lost.

ADDED
People with little or no safety knowledge, instead of asking for an explanation, are quoting me and saying I don't know what a conveyor belt is. Are you saying an airport conveyor belt is incapable of killing a human? It killed a lady, a trained baggage handler for that matter, in the US. Google it. Do you know the belt has a safety sign and an emergency button? Check it at an airport or google it before quoting me. Isn't the breakdown an accident? Was it planned? Is casuality is impossible when someone positions to lift a bag off the belt surface and the belt cuts? Can't manual carriage of airport luggage result in casualties or even death? Do you think conveyors at airports are just there to make carriage easy? Do you know the weight an airport conveyor lifts on daily basis and the consequence if humans are to manually do the conveyor's job? People take important things for granted until something goes wrong.

I admit my flaws. But I don't bow to pressure when a majority that can't prove me wrong turns against me.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Passengers Experience Chaos As Conveyor Belts At MMIA Breakdown by cumzle: 3:45pm On Dec 10, 2023
Hmm
Re: Passengers Experience Chaos As Conveyor Belts At MMIA Breakdown by MrDoGood(m): 3:45pm On Dec 10, 2023
This isn't shocking na.

Nothing fit shock me again for this country

So far AC dey work while they wait. And if the Ac no work, no wahala.

Politicians trying to frustrate us by every means possible

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Passengers Experience Chaos As Conveyor Belts At MMIA Breakdown by Kobicove(m): 3:45pm On Dec 10, 2023
If you're carrying more than 2 pieces of luggage just get ready to experience hell as a result of this sad

12 Likes

Re: Passengers Experience Chaos As Conveyor Belts At MMIA Breakdown by nairalanda1(m): 3:45pm On Dec 10, 2023
immortalcrown:

Conveyor belts convey luggage, not people

42 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Passengers Experience Chaos As Conveyor Belts At MMIA Breakdown by handsomeyinka(m): 3:46pm On Dec 10, 2023
Probably a malfunctioning software or they installed a Chinese model

10 Likes

Re: Passengers Experience Chaos As Conveyor Belts At MMIA Breakdown by Whois(m): 3:46pm On Dec 10, 2023
FAAN will soon blame it on Ghana-must-go bags

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Passengers Experience Chaos As Conveyor Belts At MMIA Breakdown by Kaybaba5(m): 3:46pm On Dec 10, 2023
Poor management......

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Passengers Experience Chaos As Conveyor Belts At MMIA Breakdown by Beuberry(f): 3:46pm On Dec 10, 2023
Terrible

1 Like

Re: Passengers Experience Chaos As Conveyor Belts At MMIA Breakdown by jayAjoku(m): 3:46pm On Dec 10, 2023
With all the beg beg and Income being generated in that airport so they cannot conduct regular maintenance on Essential Equipment 🤣😂🤣? I swear corruption is a terrible thing

7 Likes

Re: Passengers Experience Chaos As Conveyor Belts At MMIA Breakdown by immortalcrown(m): 3:47pm On Dec 10, 2023
nairalanda1:
Does any part of my comment say otherwise? Can't carriage of luggage result in casualties? Isn't the conveyor belt capable of killing a human? It happened in the U.S. You are ignorant.

7 Likes

Re: Passengers Experience Chaos As Conveyor Belts At MMIA Breakdown by Resetinc: 3:47pm On Dec 10, 2023
some unpatriotic folks will come here to badmouth our country now, 😂

But this na common occurrence everywhere..
It happens in Dubai a few weeks ago

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Passengers Experience Chaos As Conveyor Belts At MMIA Breakdown by handsomeyinka(m): 3:47pm On Dec 10, 2023
immortalcrown:

I beg they slow down to dey read news,its not an accident or plane crash so no life was lost.

"The news was about conveyors belt mechanical breakdown in the airport "

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Passengers Experience Chaos As Conveyor Belts At MMIA Breakdown by Umueme: 3:47pm On Dec 10, 2023
Lol
Re: Passengers Experience Chaos As Conveyor Belts At MMIA Breakdown by davies(m): 3:48pm On Dec 10, 2023
Recently MMiA disclosed that they won't accept Ghana must go bag at the airport anymore, what could be the problem again.

Naija my naija

1 Like

Re: Passengers Experience Chaos As Conveyor Belts At MMIA Breakdown by babaRUNtinz(m): 3:48pm On Dec 10, 2023
Belts sef don tire
Re: Passengers Experience Chaos As Conveyor Belts At MMIA Breakdown by Scarrr: 3:48pm On Dec 10, 2023
immortalcrown:

u b fool...u are always quick to call Nigeria a disgrace, the almighty USA has crashed multiple helicopters this year alone with so many lives lost,fools like u go keep mute cos it's not Nigeria... meanwhile, ordinary luggage carrier get issue in Nigeria,u don dey masturbate over it .

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Passengers Experience Chaos As Conveyor Belts At MMIA Breakdown by Lanretoye(m): 3:48pm On Dec 10, 2023
immortalcrown:

you dont even know what is conveyor belt to start with.
immortalcrown:
Does any part of my comment say otherwise? Can't carriage of luggage result in casualties?
bros abeg fall your hand jeje,your comment already shows that you have no idea what it is.

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Passengers Experience Chaos As Conveyor Belts At MMIA Breakdown by Lemos14: 3:49pm On Dec 10, 2023
immortalcrown:
Does any part of my comment say otherwise?

So what then does conveyor belt have to do with human life if I may ask?

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Passengers Experience Chaos As Conveyor Belts At MMIA Breakdown by immortalcrown(m): 3:49pm On Dec 10, 2023
Lanretoye:
you dont even know what is conveyor belt to start with.
What is wrong with you?
Re: Passengers Experience Chaos As Conveyor Belts At MMIA Breakdown by nairalanda1(m): 3:49pm On Dec 10, 2023
immortalcrown:
Does any part of my comment say otherwise? Can't carriage of luggage result in casualties?

It won't. It would result in delayed luggage. No human casualties

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Passengers Experience Chaos As Conveyor Belts At MMIA Breakdown by Kharol1234: 3:50pm On Dec 10, 2023
Maintenance zero
Re: Passengers Experience Chaos As Conveyor Belts At MMIA Breakdown by Emdebby2: 3:50pm On Dec 10, 2023
TQ0NneTeL:
Which part of Lagos please?
Re: Passengers Experience Chaos As Conveyor Belts At MMIA Breakdown by XAUBulls: 3:50pm On Dec 10, 2023
politicoNG:

https://nairametrics.com/2023/12/10/lagos-airport-conveyor-belts-breakdown-as-passengers-experience-chaos/
The facilities managers have to sit up or get fired here. Folks on international flights cannot be exposed to enervating issues like this as a large Nigerian Diaspora community will be flying in and out from nearly all continents between now and January 2024.

Second, the original supplier of the conveyor belts too have to be investigated to ensure that it wasn't refurbished or used conveyor belts that they installed at the new MMIA terminal instead of new ones. The Minister of Aviation, Festus Keyamo has to crack the whip so as to unravel what's responsible for the constant disgraceful breakdown of the conveyor belts.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Passengers Experience Chaos As Conveyor Belts At MMIA Breakdown by ColonelMichael: 3:52pm On Dec 10, 2023
T
Re: Passengers Experience Chaos As Conveyor Belts At MMIA Breakdown by id4sho(m): 3:52pm On Dec 10, 2023
All this women wey Sabi park luggages go hear am tongue
Re: Passengers Experience Chaos As Conveyor Belts At MMIA Breakdown by obaidan: 3:53pm On Dec 10, 2023
nairalanda1:

People don't read anymore, they just type auto response

2 Likes

Re: Passengers Experience Chaos As Conveyor Belts At MMIA Breakdown by Mindlog: 3:54pm On Dec 10, 2023
Shoddy job. angry angry
Re: Passengers Experience Chaos As Conveyor Belts At MMIA Breakdown by Femeto: 3:54pm On Dec 10, 2023
politicoNG:

FAAN done buy fake as usual. The free money wey them dey chop for toll gate never reach.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

10 World’s Most Beautiful National Parks / Nigeria, Vietnam Sign Visa Waiver Deal For Diplomatic, Official Passport Holders / If You Were To Get Second Africa Citizenship, Which Country Will It Be?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.