Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,230 members, 7,815,296 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:22 AM

Suggestions: What Would Be The Minimum Hourly Pay Rate For The Nigerian Workers? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Suggestions: What Would Be The Minimum Hourly Pay Rate For The Nigerian Workers? (11889 Views)

Why Don’t Nigerian Employers Adopt Hourly Pay? / FG Rejects Plans By Multichoice To Sack Nigerian Workers / See What Nigerian Workers Did To Their Boss Who Owed Them 4 Months Salary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Suggestions: What Would Be The Minimum Hourly Pay Rate For The Nigerian Workers? by BluntCrazeMan: 6:14am On Dec 11, 2023
Preamble:
During the 2023 campaign period, part of the things which Peter-Obi promised that he would do in order to increase the “productivity” of the government workers was to phase-out the “Monthly Salary” system, and introduce an “Hourly-Pay” system, where the hours of work by the workers are calculated and paid at the end of the agreed periods of payment.

He promised that there would also be flexibility of how the workers chose to be paid...
Either Weekly, Biweekly, or Monthly.

He envisaged that this system would make workers to have control over their works by knowing exactly what they are supposed to do, and do it.. Then they can clock-out at the first job in order to go to the next job where their expertise are also needed and clock-in.

There won't be any fear of paying double salary to anyone who works at more than one place at a time.

Basic “Hourly Pay Rates” are calculated and paid for 8 hours per day.
They are the payments which are taxed by the Government.
(Any other extra hours above the maximum 8-hours are counted separately and paid as overtime, with some additional added percentages to it)

Then, 5 days per week. (That is, the weekdays).
Works that were done on the weekdays are the ones that were taxed by the Government.
(For someone who had worked completely for 5 days in any week, any other extra days above the maximum 5-days are counted separately and paid as overtime, with some additional percentages to it. Nevertheless, if the person didn't work completely for 5 days within the weekdays, and he hoped to cover-up the days of work within the weekend, he doesn't get an overtime on the number of weekend days of work which are below 5 days in a week,, but those works which he did on the weekends would not be taxed)

Then, for those that are paid monthly, Each month consists of 4-weeks..
Thus, actually making it 13-months in a year..
(And not the 12 months we used to know)

NOW, TO THE MAIN REASON FOR OPENING THIS THREAD:

The current minimum basic monthly pay in Nigeria is N30,000..
Which translates to N187.50 for each hour of work,, or N1,500 for each day at work, and N7,500 for each week.

The current minimum basic hourly pay rate in the United Kingdom (both for Government Workers and Private Workers) is £10 (ten-pounds)..
Which is about N11,000 in Nigeria - going by the CBN’s official rate for conversion..

I am not advocating for Nigerians to be paid up to N11,000 per hour of work in Nigeria.. To be frank, that amount is too high for the Nigerian economy to carey.. but at-least, something reasonable enough which our economy can actually carry at the moment.

LET US JUST SUGGEST WHAT WE THINK IS FEASIBLE AND OBTAINABLE..

What amount (in Naira) should be the “Minimum Basic Hourly Pay Rate” for the Nigerian Workers,, Both the Workers in the Government Establishments and those in Private Firms, including those who are employed by individual employers.

My own personal Opinion...
I am suggesting any amount between N1,500 and N2,000... (Per Hour Ooo.. Not Per Day)
It is still too small compared to other countries, but it is actually what the economy can actually sustain for now, and at the same time, bring out the very best outputs in the workers..

(To put it into the contest we can understand:
N1,500 per hour means:
N12,000 per day.
N60,000 per week.
And N240,000 per month..
N2,000 per hour means:
N16,000 per day.
N80,000 per week.
And N320,000 per month..)

NOW, YOU CAN SUGGEST YOURS...

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Suggestions: What Would Be The Minimum Hourly Pay Rate For The Nigerian Workers? by BluntCrazeMan: 6:16am On Dec 11, 2023
Anyone who suggests anything less than N1,000 is not actually aware of how big the Nigerian Economy truly is,, and how the human resources are being seriously bastardized..

The workers are being neglected..

And that's the resultant effect of what we have now at the moment.

In Nigeria, in the informal building construction sector,, the daily pay for the experienced artisans is N10,000, while that of the inexperienced labourers is N6,000.

This translates to N1,250 and N750 per hour respectively -- for the artisan and the labourer.

So, why would the professionals be the ones to be paid far less than artisans and labourers??

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Suggestions: What Would Be The Minimum Hourly Pay Rate For The Nigerian Workers? by Tochitee(m): 6:21am On Dec 11, 2023
₦200

1 Like

Re: Suggestions: What Would Be The Minimum Hourly Pay Rate For The Nigerian Workers? by gbaskiboy: 6:28am On Dec 11, 2023
Going by the way Nigerians are subjected to harsh treatment under their employers, going by the hourly rate they earn about N210 per hour.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Suggestions: What Would Be The Minimum Hourly Pay Rate For The Nigerian Workers? by BluntCrazeMan: 6:30am On Dec 11, 2023
Tochitee:
₦200

Are you for real??
Masons earn about N1,250 per hour.
Mason-Servers earn about N750 per hour.

So tell me...
Why would professionals in the design-offices earn N200??

Are there good reasons?
Or abi you're just trying to joke?

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Suggestions: What Would Be The Minimum Hourly Pay Rate For The Nigerian Workers? by Agboola321(m): 6:30am On Dec 11, 2023
Truth is Nigeria can pay up to 11k per hour if it really wants to. What does UK have that we don't have? It's basically proper visionary leadership.

There's money in this country. The major issue is that we have extravagant leaders with very poor vision. Leaders who don't care about us. Leaders who at the slightest opportunity divide us amongst tribal and religious lines. Leaders who now use illiteracy and poverty as a weapon to keep enriching themselve.

Let the cost of governance alone be reduced and you'd see that there's money in this country.

5k per hour is a good start. Remember, increasing pay will surely increase productivity.

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Suggestions: What Would Be The Minimum Hourly Pay Rate For The Nigerian Workers? by BluntCrazeMan: 6:31am On Dec 11, 2023
gbaskiboy:
Going by the way Nigerians are subjected to harsh treatment under their employers, going by the hourly rate they earn about N210 per hour.

Are you for real??

So tell me...
Why would professionals in the design-offices earn N210??

Are there good reasons?
Re: Suggestions: What Would Be The Minimum Hourly Pay Rate For The Nigerian Workers? by BigIyanga: 6:52am On Dec 11, 2023
BluntCrazeMan:
Anyone who suggests anything less than N1,000 is not actually aware of how big the Nigerian Economy truly is,, and how the human resources are being seriously bastardized..

The workers are being neglected..

And that's the resultant effect of what we have now at the moment.

In Nigeria, in the informal building construction sector,, the daily pay for artisans is N10,000, while that of labourers is N6,000.

This translates to N1,250 and N750 per hour respectively -- for the artisan and the labourer.

So, why would the professionals be the ones to be paid far less than artisans and labourers??
A typist/clerical person with OL/NCE/OND should not earn more than mason, carpenters, welders, plumbers -all doing technically and physically demanding jobs.. It does not work like that in UK, EU, Canada, US… Construction workers are one of the most paid workers without university degree. Just like electricians and mechanics are well paid abroad.

17 Likes

Re: Suggestions: What Would Be The Minimum Hourly Pay Rate For The Nigerian Workers? by BluntCrazeMan: 6:54am On Dec 11, 2023
Agboola321:
Truth is Nigeria can pay up to 11k per hour if it really wants to. What does UK have that we don't have? It's basically proper visionary leadership.

There's money in this country. The major issue is that we have extravagant leaders with very poor vision. Leaders who don't care about us. Leaders who at the slightest opportunity divide us amongst tribal and religious lines. Leaders who now use illiteracy and poverty as a weapon to keep enriching themselve.

Let the cost of governance alone be reduced and you'd see that there's money in this country.

5k per hour is a good start. Remember, increasing pay will surely increase productivity.

That's good..

Should private firms and individual employers also pay this minimum hourly pay rate?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Suggestions: What Would Be The Minimum Hourly Pay Rate For The Nigerian Workers? by BluntCrazeMan: 6:56am On Dec 11, 2023
BigIyanga:

A typist/clerical person with OL/NCE/OND should not earn more than mason, carpenters, welders, plumbers -all doing technically and physically demanding jobs.. It does work like in UK, EU, Canada, US… Construction workers are one of the most paid workers without university degree. Just like electricians and mechanics are well paid abroad.

I think I need a figure here.

How much do you think that A typist/clerical person with OL/NCE/OND should be paid per hour??
Re: Suggestions: What Would Be The Minimum Hourly Pay Rate For The Nigerian Workers? by brain54(m): 7:02am On Dec 11, 2023
My suggestion is #2k...

Every hour.

By the way I do not think Masons collect the amount you stated o.

Firstly, they charge per day... Which depending on the area is between #2.5k-4k. But this is for a whole day's job which can be between 5-8hours.

I may be wrong though because it's been a while I engaged the services of one and realise inflation may have occurred.

But like suggested #2 hourly is a good start considering the present economy and if one doesn't want to be too unrealistic!

3 Likes

Re: Suggestions: What Would Be The Minimum Hourly Pay Rate For The Nigerian Workers? by BluntCrazeMan: 7:25am On Dec 11, 2023
brain54:
My suggestion is #2k...

Every hour.

By the way I do not think Masons collect the amount you stated o.

Firstly, they charge per day... Which depending on the area is between N2.5k-4k. But this is for a whole day's job which can be between 5-8hours.

I may be wrong though because it's been a while I engaged the services of one and realise inflation may have occurred.

But like suggested #2 hourly is a good start considering the present economy and if one doesn't want to be too unrealistic!

Ok..
That's good.

Please,, which State is that, where MASONS charge N2,500 to N4,000 per day??

And also..
Please I want to know how much the casual-workers are charging per-day in such State where Masons charge so low.
(by “casual workers”,, I mean bush-cutters, street-sweepers, trench-diggers e.t.c.)
They may be charging N1,000 per-day, or even N700 or N500 per day sef.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Suggestions: What Would Be The Minimum Hourly Pay Rate For The Nigerian Workers? by MEEVEET: 7:31am On Dec 11, 2023
BluntCrazeMan:
Preamble:
During the 2023 campaign period, part of the things which Peter-Obi promised that he would do in order to increase the “productivity” of the government workers was to phase-out the “Monthly Salary” system, and introduce an “Hourly-Pay” system, where the hours of work by the workers are calculated and paid at the end of the agreed periods of payment.

He promised that there would also be flexibility of how the workers chose to be paid...

He envisaged that this system would make workers to have control over their works by knowing exactly what they are supposed to do, and do it.. Then they can clock-out at the first job in order to go to the next job where their expertise are also needed and clock-in.

There won't be any fear of paying double salary to anyone who works at more than one place at a time.

(Any other extra hours above the maximum 8-hours are counted separately and paid as overtime, with some additional added percentages to it)

Works that were done on the weekdays are the ones that were taxed by the Government.
(For someone who had worked completely for 5 days in any week, any other extra days above the maximum 5-days are counted separately and paid as overtime, with some additional percentages to it. Nevertheless, if the person didn't work completely for 5 days within the weekdays, and he hoped to cover-up the days of work within the weekend, he doesn't get an overtime on the number of weekend days of work which are below 5 days in a week,, but those works which he did on the weekends would not be taxed)

Which translates to N187.50 for each hour of work,, or N1,500 for each day at work, and N7,500 for each week.

The current minimum basic hourly pay rate in the United Kingdom (both for Government Workers and Private Workers) is £10 (ten-pounds)..
Which is about N11,000 in Nigeria - going by the CBN’s official rate for conversion..

I am not advocating for Nigerians to be paid up to N11,000 per hour of work in Nigeria.. To be frank, that amount is too high for the Nigerian economy to carey.. but at-least, something reasonable enough which our economy can actually carry at the moment.

What amount (in Naira) should be the “Minimum Basic Hourly Pay Rate” for the Nigerian Workers,, Both the Workers in the Government Establishments and those in Private Firms, including those who are employed by individual employers.

I am suggesting any amount between N1,500 and N2,000... (Per Hour Ooo.. Not Per Day)
It is still too small compared to other countries, but it is actually what the economy can actually sustain for now, and at the same time, bring out the very best outputs in the workers..

N1,500 per hour means:
N12,000 per day.
N60,000 per week.
And N240,000 per month..
N2,000 per hour means:
N16,000 per day.
N80,000 per week.

Hope u can pay your cleaner n driver that too

2 Likes

Re: Suggestions: What Would Be The Minimum Hourly Pay Rate For The Nigerian Workers? by BluntCrazeMan: 7:45am On Dec 11, 2023
MEEVEET:

Hope u can pay your cleaner n driver that too
So what amount do you suggest??
Re: Suggestions: What Would Be The Minimum Hourly Pay Rate For The Nigerian Workers? by brain54(m): 7:53am On Dec 11, 2023
BluntCrazeMan:

Ok..
That's good.

Please,, which State is that, where MASONS charge N2,500 to N4,000 per day??

And also..
Please I want to know how much the casual-workers are charging per-day in such State where Masons charge so low.
(by “casual workers”,, I mean bush-cutters, street-sweepers, trench-diggers e.t.c.)
They may be charging N1,000 per-day, or even N700 or N500 per day sef.
Ogun, Delta and Port Harcourt...

Haven't engaged the services of one in Lagos so can't speak about there.

But In each of the states I listed its within that range... Except maybe Inflation like I said.

Some of those casual workers collect more because theirs is more of contract agreement.

I remember a friend complaining about being charged #15k for a casual guy to cut the grass on his half plot of land when I was in warri.

I was charged #80k to evacuate (just to pack the faceas out manually) by those aboki guys from a collapsed soak away before maintainance work began proper.

So I can say some of the casual guys collect more even though there might take a day or 2 to complete their task- but at their own pace!

1 Like

Re: Suggestions: What Would Be The Minimum Hourly Pay Rate For The Nigerian Workers? by BluntCrazeMan: 8:24am On Dec 11, 2023
brain54:

But In each of the states I listed its within that range... Except maybe Inflation like I said.

Some of those casual workers collect more because theirs is more of contract agreement.

I remember a friend complaining about being charged #15k for a casual guy to cut the grass on his half plot of land when I was in warri.

I was charged #80k to evacuate (just to pack the faceas out manually) by those aboki guys from a collapsed soak away before maintainance work began proper.

So I can say some of the casual guys collect more even though there might take a day or 2 to complete their task- but at their own pace!

Wow..
Ogun, Delta, and Rivers??

Day-Pay of about N4,000 is so cheap though.
Re: Suggestions: What Would Be The Minimum Hourly Pay Rate For The Nigerian Workers? by Akaegwu(m): 8:36am On Dec 11, 2023
BluntCrazeMan:

Are you for real??

So tell me...
Why would professionals in the design-offices earn N200??

Are there good reasons?
200 is enough. It can buy 100 garii and 100 beans. The remaining 1400 will go for transportation. That is why they say education is scam in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Suggestions: What Would Be The Minimum Hourly Pay Rate For The Nigerian Workers? by Akaegwu(m): 8:45am On Dec 11, 2023
brain54:

In Ogun state, Mason is 7500 and labourers 3000. for over five years now. same thing in Anambra, Imo and Enugu. anyone saying 2500 doesn't know what he is saying. I'm evolved. I have jobs simultaneously going on in many locations in western and Eastern states. A partition of foundation is now between 2k and 3k depending on the depth

1 Like

Re: Suggestions: What Would Be The Minimum Hourly Pay Rate For The Nigerian Workers? by BluntCrazeMan: 9:01am On Dec 11, 2023
Akaegwu:
200 is enough. It can buy 100 garii and 100 beans. The remaining 1400 will go for transportation. That is why they say education is scam in Nigeria.
Ok..

That means,, N1,600 per day??

Too poor abbegg
Re: Suggestions: What Would Be The Minimum Hourly Pay Rate For The Nigerian Workers? by BigIyanga: 1:07pm On Dec 11, 2023
BluntCrazeMan:

I think I need a figure here.

How much do you think that A typist/clerical person with OL/NCE/OND should be paid per hour??
50k-80k/mon
Re: Suggestions: What Would Be The Minimum Hourly Pay Rate For The Nigerian Workers? by Merry100: 1:29pm On Dec 11, 2023
There are 20-22 working days in a month. Anything less than N3,000 per hour is low.
Re: Suggestions: What Would Be The Minimum Hourly Pay Rate For The Nigerian Workers? by BluntCrazeMan: 1:51pm On Dec 11, 2023
Merry100:
There are 20-22 working days in a month. Anything less than N3,000 per hour is low.
That's good enough.
Re: Suggestions: What Would Be The Minimum Hourly Pay Rate For The Nigerian Workers? by BluntCrazeMan: 1:52pm On Dec 11, 2023
BigIyanga:

50k-80k/mon
Per month??

Convert it to hourly rate..

What do you have??

And then..
Do you think it is good enough?
Re: Suggestions: What Would Be The Minimum Hourly Pay Rate For The Nigerian Workers? by BigIyanga: 10:20pm On Dec 11, 2023
BluntCrazeMan:
Per month??

Convert it to hourly rate..

What do you have??

And then..
Do you think it is good enough?

It’s marketplace that determines how much talent and skills are worth… not how much an employee thinks they are worth. Most Naija office workers and informal workers would run if you measure their productivity on hourly basis. Like cashiers/salespeople at shops,malls/shoprite/filling stations etc standing up for 8-10hrs a day with 30mins break in between. Dont use ur phone while at work. Most go quit lol.

1 Like

Re: Suggestions: What Would Be The Minimum Hourly Pay Rate For The Nigerian Workers? by BluntCrazeMan: 4:57am On Dec 12, 2023
BigIyanga:

It’s marketplace that determines how much talent and skills are worth… not how much an employee thinks they are worth. Most Naija office workers and informal workers would run if you measure their productivity on hourly basis. Like cashiers/salespeople at shops,malls/shoprite/filling stations etc standing up for 8-10hrs a day with 30mins break in between. Dont use ur phone while at work. Most go quit lol.

Hehehhehahahahaaaaahaaa..

Ok.

So, let's put this into figures.
Like the cashiers/salespeople..
Considering the type of physically stressful work they do, and the resultant productivity that goes with it........
What do you think should be their HOURLY Pay Rate??
Re: Suggestions: What Would Be The Minimum Hourly Pay Rate For The Nigerian Workers? by Risingblue008(m): 12:46pm On Dec 12, 2023
Atleast

#700-800 per hr is okay
Work for 6hrs na something
Highest u go another place continue from whr u stop

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Suggestions: What Would Be The Minimum Hourly Pay Rate For The Nigerian Workers? by Olawade24: 12:47pm On Dec 12, 2023
OP, you know how will do it now. First you need to find X then divide it by the number of citizen. There goes the answer.

In DJ khaled voice "Another One".
Re: Suggestions: What Would Be The Minimum Hourly Pay Rate For The Nigerian Workers? by ogododo: 12:48pm On Dec 12, 2023
BluntCrazeMan:
Preamble:

N1,500 per hour means:
N12,000 per day.
N60,000 per week.
And N240,000 per month..
N2,000 per hour means:
N16,000 per day.
N80,000 per week.

N5000 per hour.

1 Like

Re: Suggestions: What Would Be The Minimum Hourly Pay Rate For The Nigerian Workers? by JustPowerApps(m): 12:48pm On Dec 12, 2023
Hourly pay rate in a country governed by APC. Let's say ₦150/hr in APC format. cheesy Judging from their 30k NPower stipend which is even no more grin

1 Like

Re: Suggestions: What Would Be The Minimum Hourly Pay Rate For The Nigerian Workers? by sotall(m): 12:48pm On Dec 12, 2023
undecided

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Masters In Project Management At Unilag Or Pmp Certified? / 8 Ways To Impress During Your First Week Of A New Job. / Sam Altman To Return As OpenAI CEO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.