Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,813 members, 7,851,728 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 06:43 AM

ONE-ON-ONE With Sulaimon Olagbade A.k.a Tyson Kill - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / ONE-ON-ONE With Sulaimon Olagbade A.k.a Tyson Kill (496 Views)

Tyson Fury: I Can Beat Wilder And Anthony Joshua On The Same Night / Tyson Fury Labels Anthony Joshua A Disgrace For Deciding Not To Fight Wilder / Mike Tyson Barred From Entering Chile, Put Back On Plane, See Why(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

ONE-ON-ONE With Sulaimon Olagbade A.k.a Tyson Kill by Epiphany18: 8:03pm On Dec 12, 2023
ONE-ON-ONE with Sulaimon Olagbade a.k.a Tyson Kill

Sulaimon Olagbade a.k.a "Tyson Kill" is a professional Super Welterweight boxer who has won laurels for himself and Nigeria at the National, Regional, Continental and World levels.

In commensurate measure with his accomplishments, his name may not necessarily ring a bell with every Nigerian. However, he has put Nigeria and the Nigeria Police Force on the global map for positive reasons.

In the 1st part of this interview series with AZ 360 Reports' Martins Onyeike, he talks about a variety of issues - from his exploits, challenges and future plans.

Q -For the benefit of those who probably have not heard your name before now, who is Sulaimon Olagbade?

A -Thank you. Sulaimon Olagbade is a Nigerian boxer, a world boxer and also a Police officer. He is well known to the world. I have won a world title, West African title and National title. That's all about me.

Q- How did you venture into boxing?

A - I started boxing as a kid. While growing up, I used to watch a lot of Mike Tyson fights and that was what propelled me into boxing. If you take a good look, you will see that I have some sort of physical resemblance with Mike Tyson and I told myself that I would like to become a professional, and reach the heights of my idol.
One day, I met a boxing Coach- he is late now. I enquired from him if he could become my trainer, and he responded in the affirmative. It's been a long time. That was how I discovered my talent. In all honesty, I never knew I will go this far in the sports because it was just about raw passion for me. After becoming a National champion, I went on from there to become a West African champion before winning the WBU World title.

Q -You mentioned earlier that you are a Police officer, what rank do you hold in the Nigerian Police Force?

A -Well, I am a 2-star (Assistant Superintendent of Police) waiting to be promoted to a 3-star (Deputy Superintendent of Police). I am also the Admin. Officer of Onipanu Police Station, Obasanjo, Sango-Ota. My exploits in boxing has given me the much desired recognition in the Force.
During the course of my career, I have been privileged to meet with at least 4 Inspector Generals (I.G) of Police and they all gave me due recognition. Even the incumbent I.G recognizes me. I am an ambassador of the Nigerian Police Force. By the grace of God, I have represented the Force with honour. I thank God.

Q- Your "Tyson Kill" sobriquet, what's the inspiration behind it? Have you killed somebody in the ring before? (General laughter)

A - In 2008, I travelled to Burkina Faso for camping in preparation for a fight. During my sparring sessions; I literally knocked out all my sparring partners in a brutal manner. One day, a certain Burkinabe boxer walked up to me and spoke in his Francophone accent- "you kill, kill, kill!!" In response, I told him that my fans in Nigeria call me Tyson because of my reputation for knocking out any boxer I come across since my days as an amateur boxer.

Since that day, "Kill" was incorporated into my nickname and I gladly adopted it. You can see I even have it here- (pointing to a tattoo on his upper arm).

Q -Over the years, the Nigerian Police Force has become renowned for producing world champions in various sports. People like Samuel Peter, Kikelomo Ajayi, Babatunde Jonathan, the late Sunday Bada, Nigeria's only individual Olympic gold medalist- Chioma Ajunwa and more recently; another Police Officer - ASP Olanrewaju Durodola, who is a world boxing champion in the cruiserweight category.
What exactly is the NPF doing right with regards to sports development that others have to emulate?

A -The secret is not farfetched. In the NPF, we have always been lucky to have sports loving Inspector Generals. Coupled with the existence of a Commissioner of Police dedicated to Sports. The most important thing is to release your athletes so they can have enough time for training.

Personally, on several occasions, the I.G gave me the release to travel to Scotland and other parts of the UK in preparation for my fights, and I have always reciprocated that gesture by coming out victorious. This is the simple secret behind the many champions the NPF has produced.

Q - According to information available on the boxrec website, you started your professional career in 2011 and have an outstanding record of 10-2-0...

A- (Cuts in). That information is exactly not correct. We have boxrec and boxranking. I had a fight in Bradford, UK where I defended my title and another one in Ota, Ogun State which are not listed by boxrec, but are available on boxranking.

Q. By your estimation, what is your professional record?

A - My record is actually 14-2-0.

Q- Okay. I would not be knowing this if I am not speaking to you. Like they say- hearing from the horse's mouth.14-2-0 is a total of 16 fights. For a boxer that started your professional career in 2011, don't you think you should have had more fights under your belt? What could this be attributed to?

A - This is a very good question. You see, when there's no management, there's nothing one can do. Boxing is all about money. I can't just wake up and start promoting my own fights. I need a sponsor. I have the talent, but what about the sponsorship? We have so many boxers in Nigeria that won't fight a single bout in a whole year because of lack of sponsorship and that's where the talent dies.

Stay on the lookout for the continuing part of this interview.

NB: Sulaimon Olagbade a.k.a Tyson Kill has an upcoming fight at the National Stadium, Surulere, Lagos on Sunday, 17th of December, 2023.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ONE-ON-ONE With Sulaimon Olagbade A.k.a Tyson Kill by Roboto11: 8:09pm On Dec 12, 2023
Tyson kill.

You've found a new fan.
Re: ONE-ON-ONE With Sulaimon Olagbade A.k.a Tyson Kill by ghettochild(m): 10:41am On Dec 13, 2023
Are the police allowed to have tattoos?

(1) (Reply)

AFCON: Keshi Keeps Mum On Moses, Emenike / The Only Thing That Can Give Super Eagles Respect Is To Whip Burkina Faso 7-0 / Do You Thhink Good-luck Would Want To Take Credit For Our Win Today?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.