Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,751 members, 7,813,478 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:47 PM

Wireless Router Connection - Technology Market - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Technology Market / Wireless Router Connection (1617 Views)

TP-LINK TK-WA5210G Outdoor Wireless Router - N11,000 - Julic 08029130404 / 3G Wireless Router With SIM Card Slot For Mtn,glo,airtel And Etisalat / 3g Wireless Router:insert Your Mtn,glo,etisalat & Zain Sim For Cafe/office (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wireless Router Connection by lynxnoon(m): 2:48am On Sep 16, 2007
can anyone tell me how to successfully connect a wireless router (Linksys) to 2 or more laptops via UNWIRED modem
I seriously need ur help guys!!!
Tried evrytin i cud bt it kips failing
THANKS!!!! cry cry
Re: Wireless Router Connection by brume2020: 8:55am On Sep 16, 2007
lynxnoon,

I am glad to share my knowledge (and perhaps ignorance in this case) grin

What exactly are you trying to do? If you simply want to connect your laptops to your linksys wireless router then you should be doing that using the laptops wireless Lan interface by which you can connect over the air.

Now if you are hooked up to the Big Bad Internet on the Wan side using a wireless modem I can understand that. i.e.

You might have :-

1. A wireless modem connection to the internet that hooks you up to your internet service provider.
2. The wireless modem also provides you an interface on the LAN side to connect your LAN router.
3. The Lan router itself provides you a wireless segment by which you can connect your laptops via their wireless Lan
interfaces.
i.e.

Internet <-->Wireless Modem<-->Lan Router<-->Laptops.

If you provide a detailed description of your network configuration and the symptoms you are facing, it would be easier to troubleshoot problems you have encountered.

peace,

brume
Re: Wireless Router Connection by lynxnoon(m): 3:25pm On Sep 16, 2007
Hw u dey? Brume
well it all started like dis:
just got hooked up the net with DOPC and wanted to connect my room mate who also has a laptop with WLAN
So i bought Linksys wireless router
followed all the instructions on connecting n configuring but i still have to connect d modem to the router, then an ethernet cable from the router to my laptop and not wirelessly; even with this the application cd interface for router at a point scans my system, the modem and then displays an error message stating the ethernet port is not responding or router not well configured; but this is the same port i'm using to browse via the modem.
I still feel there's something i may have missed
Thanks cheesy cheesy
Re: Wireless Router Connection by brume2020: 5:46pm On Sep 16, 2007
Hey lynxnoon,

I dey kampe. Just hanging in.

Ok. I know Direct On PC offers broadband wireless service (WIMAX?) in Nigeria. So it figures that your wireless modem connects you to DOPC.

Since you are able to connect your laptop to the ethernet port on your wireless modem and obtain internet service that tells me :-

1. Your laptop is likely correctly configured to receive network config information (DHCP IP address, default gateway, etc) from the wireless modem lan port.

2. DOPC is correctly providing this information through your wireless modem and will also provide it when you connect your linksys router to that port.

Perhaps the first thing that you need to establish is that you have physical connectivity when you connect your linksys router to your wireless modem lan port. If the link light is green at both ends of the connection, then you have physical connectivity and likely you have a router configuration issue. If there is no physical connectivity, then you may have a cable problem. There is also a slight chance that you actually need to use a crossover cable (and not a straight cable ) to connect the linksys router to the wireless modem. But I will not worry about that yet.

With the limited information you have provided, I can only suggest the following additional steps :-

1. Check that the WAN port on the linksys router is configured to obtain DHCP information from the wireless modem. And verify that it at least receives the same IP address (well this IP address may change slightly if you power off the modem long enough) you obtained earlier when you connected your laptop directly to the ethernet interface on the wireless modem.

2. Check that the linksys router is properly configured on the LAN side to provide network config information (i.e. DHCP like before) this time on the LAN side to the laptops you will be connecting. The router should be configured to dynamically provide a range of IP addresses to your laptops.

3. Check that there is physical connectivity (green LEDs) between the laptop ethernet port and the linksys router ethernet port.

4. Check if the laptop receives an IP address in the range you configured on your router for the LAN segment.

Try out these steps first and get back when you determine which of these steps failed. I am sure someone else who is perhaps more familiar with your type of set up would also willing help. I may have missed something out. Hopefully someone else reading this will chip in.

all the best,

brume
Re: Wireless Router Connection by lynxnoon(m): 7:06pm On Sep 19, 2007
Men Brume
thanks a mil; now able to connect to the wireless router but i had to use a laptop with windows vista to configure it
tnx 4 ur help
Re: Wireless Router Connection by brume2020: 1:08pm On Sep 20, 2007
lynxnoon,

Great. glad to be able to help.

peace

brume

(1) (Reply)

Used Ok, Blackberry 7230 Rim -for Sale / Anyone With A Clean Nokia 5230 For Sale? / Brand New Laptops @ Gooood Price FROM 56k AND 67K

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.