Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,361 members, 7,819,299 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:54 PM

Basketball - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Basketball (1547 Views)

Photos From DSTV Basketball Throwdown Event / Nigeria Vs USA: Olympics Basketball (73 - 156) On 2nd August 2012 / Nigeria Into Olympic Basketball Qualifying Semifinals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Basketball by Zule(m): 4:30am On Mar 07, 2006
do we have basket baller in the house this forum is for you guyz
but first can some one give send in the rules and the pitch formation of basket ball to this forum so that we can help out some rookies to advance in the bigger boys game
Re: Basketball by Seun(m): 11:12am On Mar 14, 2006
Why should we be interested in basketball? Tell us. The ball is in your court, so shoot!
Re: Basketball by chinani(f): 2:02am On Mar 20, 2006
I love basketball. So let me try & givve the rules. Excuse me if I say something that you already know.

Basketball is designed to be a 5 on 5 non contact sport between 2 teams. Each team has 2 members/ppl on the court during the game. The fame consists of 4 equal quarters or 2 halves which ever you prefer. the professional game and the high school and younger kids use 4 quarters while the college sport uses 2 halves. The pros do 12 min/ per quarter and in college it's 20 minutes per half. If you are playing w/ friends halves usually work better. Start w/ 10 mintue halves. You'll get tired faster than you think.

Anyhow, the 5 positions are Center, Forward, Small forward, Shooting Guard and Point Guard. The center is usually the biggest. He guards t basket on defense and usually makes close shots (off the "block"wink on offense. The forward is also large. He/she has a mid range jump shot ("jumper"wink but can defend against a center if the coach asks. The small forward is a smaller version of the forward. The shooting guard should be the best shooter, fast, scrappy, and a great team player. The point guard is the field general. He/she calls the play, takes (dribbles) the ball down court. He assists/dishes/passes the ball etc. He should be the fastest. A team player like no other and BOLD! He should try to shot in a 7 footers face and stuff! ***Teams play w/ any and every version and variety of "personnel" on the court and are successful! So don't worry if you don't have a "true" center" or a "true small forward". But, the guards are crucial, sha!***

Every "official" bball games start w/ a tip. (The tip is hard for me to explain. sorry undecided)Usually "pick up games" or games at the park or btw friends one team just takes the ball first. Official and non official games are "don't make it, take it". This means that if you didnt score, then your team get the ball. That way possession of the ball alternates etc. The team w/ the ball is on offense and tries to score by shooting and making the ball go in the hoop. The team that does not have the ball is on defense and tries to take the ball from them. On defense, a team can steal the ball in midair, pick pocket (steal while another person is dribbling), block the shot, hit the ball out of bounds and more! But, if/when the ball goes out of bounds, the team that last touched the ball does NOT get/retain possession.

Since basketball is officially a noncontact sport fouls are called whenever there is excessive contact. Pushing, hitting wrists, tripping, is all not allowed (and more). There is less contact than soccer. When a foul is commited in an officil game the referre calls it, like in soccer. But in unofficial games, the person who feels like they've been fouled calls it. (at the beginning of a game someone should yell "call your fouls" so that everyone knows that's what's real.) If the foul is made while the person was shooting than they get a free throw (an uncontested shoot from the free throw line) but if the person was NOT shooting than the person's team who was fouled gets to inbound the ball from around the spot that the foul was committed. After 5 fouls, a person is out of the game and cannot return.
Re: Basketball by chinani(f): 2:05am On Mar 20, 2006
I love basketball so much! But, I haven't even begun to do the game any justice. Here a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basketball Notice the "rules and regulations" as well as the pictures.
Re: Basketball by chinani(f): 2:16am On Mar 20, 2006
But basketball is best learned by playing!!! As well as watching the greats play. What's your fav team? If you don't have on, then get one & be loyal! ***only teasing***

Seun:

Why should we be interested in basketball? Tell us. The ball is in your court, so shoot!

Because the sport has produced some of the greatest athletes of this & the last century. Michael Jordan, Kareem Abdul Jabar, Larry Bird and more. Even the unsung workhorses like John Stockton & Avery Johnson. Also, it totally effects the landscapes of Black Americans and the inner city. Though I'm 100% Naija and I've always lived in the 'burbs I have a deep love for this sport. It's the great equalizer. Even those w/ not much money (for camp or equipment can play b/c it only requires a basketball & a hoop!) In the U.S., soccer is more of a "money" sport. Pppl in the inner city can't play b/c they're are no fields/ no space and the equipment costs $$$. Women can hoop as well as men w/ practice (with the sole exception of pros).
Re: Basketball by chinani(f): 2:33am On Mar 20, 2006
Seun:

Also, our African and Nigerian brothers and sisters are VERY VERY successful, so let's all support them! There's Emeka Okafor who hails from Nigeria (via Houston). He won the National Championship in college, graduated in 3 years instead of 4 and was named Rookie of the Year (Charlotte Bobcats)! Luol Deng of he Chicago Bulls from the Sudan. (His younger sister is also a college star.) Manute Bol of the Sudan & NJ 76ers fame. Mutumbo. Hakeem Olajuwon of the Houston Rockets! He was part of the DREAM TEAM during the Olympics and "Phi Slamma Jamma" at that U of Houston when he went there. Another new schooler is Andre Iguodala. His momma is an American black lady but of course I claim him!

These cats are sick! Of course there are many more. I was just hitting the high notes. There are many octaves left to explore. wink

Re: Basketball by Zule(m): 5:20pm On Mar 20, 2006
i Think that we should stop arguing over the importants of basket ball or rather why we should learn basket ball but think of teaching the skillsin this forum
Re: Basketball by Kadeejah(f): 12:59pm On Mar 11, 2007
Did u know that it was a canadian that invented basketball? lol. tongue
. . .yet da only team we got ta show fo dis is da raptors undecided
Re: Basketball by ristic(f): 2:53pm On Mar 14, 2007
i love bball, but i cant play, reason cos there is none to teach me.
Re: Basketball by Seun(m): 7:23pm On Mar 25, 2007
Isn't Basketball rather complicated? There are rules about how long you can stand at a spot, how many steps you can take, when you are allowed to intercept the ball in the air, et cetera. How can one just have fun playing it?
Re: Basketball by Zule(m): 1:18pm On Apr 09, 2007
no matter what i say , b-ball is just like a game of chess, a game of the mind
the bigger boys game
Re: Basketball by maverick2(m): 9:11pm On Jan 04, 2012
Seun:

Isn't Basketball rather complicated? There are rules about how long you can stand at a spot, how many steps you can take, when you are allowed to intercept the ball in the air, et cetera. How can one just have fun playing it?

Its fun once u get past the initial awkwardness d sky isn't even a limit. u'll enjoy watching and playing d game for a lifetime.

(1) (Reply)

watch and download d-banj's performance @ Afcon 2013 Closing Ceremony video / Boxing Gym In Warri / "Play Hard Die Young" Soccer Players That Died While Playing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.