Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,383 members, 7,861,057 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 10:28 PM

Ministry To Jws, Part 6 - The Shunning Policy - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Ministry To Jws, Part 6 - The Shunning Policy (207 Views)

Ministry To Jws, Part 9 - Christ's Presence / Ministry To Jws, Part 2 - The 1914 Theology / GB To Jws ~ Avoid Unnecessary Arguments With Apostates. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ministry To Jws, Part 6 - The Shunning Policy by Sand2022: 6:06pm On Dec 28, 2023
Jehovah's witnesses practice Disfellowshiping and shunning. In their book, Enjoy Life Forever Lesson 57, point 4, this is said:

"If a person who has committed a serious sin refuses to follow Jehovah’s standards, he can no longer be part of the congregation. He is disfellowshipped, and we do not associate with him or even speak with him. Read 1 Corinthians 5:6, 11 and 2 John 9-11, and then discuss this question:"

They base their reasons on those two scriptures and they really mean it when they say they don't associate nor speak with such persons. To be sure, 1corinthian 5 speaks of Disfellowshiping, and also that one does not associate with such persons. How do we understand this instruction? That we strictly do not associate? When we check verses 9 and 10, one will understand why some will conclude that the counsel is strict shunning. Since the verse contrasts how impossible it will be to shun the world with shunning a brother. One can easily conclude that shunning a brother won't require your getting out of the world. So one should strictly shun. That conclusion would have been the best had that been the only scripture available for this subject.

However, at 2Thess 3:14 some who do not want to work are counselled to work, if not, the brothers should "stop associating" with them. This is a similar Greek word that appeared in the counsel at 1cor 5. JW create a distinction between this instruction and the one at 1cor 5. They say that the instruction at 2Thess 3:14 refer to sins that are not serious, and that such persons are handled using a marking talk delivered from the platform. After the congregation have heard the talk, they will now stop associating with that individual in social setting. This understanding is far from the truth.

First, the method Jehovah's witnesses use to handle serious sin is unscriptural. Even with the 1cor 5. Such sinners are handled during a gathering of the congregation, not by a body of elders. See 1cor 5:4. True, the elders will still be among the members, or even chair the gathering, but it is an open judgment on those sinners, it is not when elders enter into a private room with an individual. That is Watchtower policy, not bible.

So the instruction at 2Thess 3:14 is for the whole congregation. The elders will judge such matters in the view of all the congregation, they will all agree that certain person needs to be marked or disfellowshiped.

Is the sin of not working serious? Yes, it is a serious sin. We see that at 1Tim 5:8 where such persons are viewed as one who have disowned the faith. Even worse than person without Faith. Among JWs, any who doesn't provide for his family, when he is not in anyway incapacitated, can be disfellowshiped. So it's surprising that they say that 2thess 3:14 is a case of menial sin. Is it likely that they just want to have control over the flock and the Disfellowshiping injunction seems to provide them with such powers? Perhaps. But the truth is, that scripture helps us to see that the instruction at 1cor 5 is not meant to be applied to the extent the JW apply it. Those persons disfellowshiped are still brothers and they need to be helped.

It seems that the person with the power to disfellowship and hand over to Satan is the General Overseer. He is the one that issues that order for the congregation to apply. So whoever gets disfellowshiped or get mercy is not necessarily a function of repentance on his part. Now JW should pay attention here. It is believed by them that one gets disfellowshiped if he is unrepentant. That's true, but is it an automatic formula... If unrepentant, then you must go? No. The GO might still give such person time to repent even though he is unrepentant at present. He has the power to remove or retain.

Let's see why I said so.

At 2cor 12:21 Paul says:

" Perhaps when I come again, my God might humiliate me before you, and I may have to mourn over many of those who previously sinned but have not repented of their uncleanness and sexual immorality and brazen conduct that they have practiced."

First, we see they are many, and they sinned and had not repented as at the time he is writing. When did they start this sin? Chapter 13:1-3 helps us:

This is the third time I am coming to you. “On the testimony of two or three witnesses every matter must be established.”  2 Although I am absent now, it is as if I were present for the second time, and I give my warning in advance to those who sinned previously and to all the rest, that if ever I come again I will not spare them,"

By saying third time, Paul is showing that these sinners had been sinning since he founded that congregation, this will be around 5years now. Yet, they are unrepentant and not yet disfellowshiped. Among these are still persons teaching different doctrine and challenging Paul's apostleship. So we see they were really unrepentant to even challenge Paul instead of fighting to win over their sins. What can we learn?

1. At 1 Cor 5 Paul ordered the incestuous man to be disfellowshiped, yet there were still unrepentant wrongdoers in Corinth at that time. So Paul's order may be because the sin of this incestuous man was too serious and unheard of even in the world. It does not mean that it was just a case of unrepentance. Unrepentance is inclusive, but it wasn't the only reason.

2. It was in the hand of the GO, not just the elders to order for a disfellowship. Paul spoke of him not sparing them at 2cor 13:2, and in verse 10 he says he has the power to build up and to tear down, obviously meaning to remove or to retain.

Supporting the view that the GO has that power to order for a disfellowship is the words of Jesus to the Angels in the congregations in Asia Minor. These Angels are individuals caring for different cities. And these cities would be composed of many house congregations. Persons like Timothy, Titus etc are examples of persons who took care of congregations in different cities. So when Paul died, these men, Angels as used in the book of Revelation, took over. Jesus words was to commend them and also counsel them on areas they weren't doing well.

If we venture to what Jesus said, we see in some congregations, the angel allowed the sect of Nicolaus to remain, while in another, sects wasn't allowed. In some Prophetess Jezebel flourished. To further show that repentance wasn't the only factor to retain individuals in the congregation, notice that at Rev 2:21 Jesus had previously given Jezebel time to repent, but she was not willing. Now Jesus is given her the last warning to repent in verse 22, that is, additional time to repent although unrepentant at the time. All these while she was allowed to be in the congregation by the Overseer of the congregation Thyatira. Now the letter Jesus sent was to come to this man, not to the elders in that area. This Angel will be the one to order the elders in those areas to remove her. Of course, she would not be seen as an enemy, but be counselled as a sister.

Another example to show that shunning is not implied by Paul's letter at 1cor 5, is the fact that even Jehovah himself did speak to disfellowshiped persons. So I am not against disfellowship, but I think the scriptures are against strict shunning. One can limit his relationship with one disfellowshiped or even one not disfellowshiped yet but has a bad unchristian habit. You need not make such ones your close friends. Jehovah even initiated a discussion with Satan at Job 1:7; 2:2. Jesus spoke with Satan  (Matt 4:8-10), even with demons. These demons pleaded, and he granted their requests (Matt 8:29-32). While Jesus was on earth, he associate with those considered by his religious leaders as expelled for sin. (Matt 9:11).

The witnesses also point to 2John 9-11 as a proof. This instruction is not talking about grave sinners. It refers to preaching incorrect doctrines. The letter is evidently directed to an individual. Some of course feel that a congregation is in focus here. But the former seems obvious.

John was saying that this lady shouldn't welcome anyone with a different message. She was to avoid listening to such message, not the individual himself. Verse 10 says:

10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your homes or say a greeting to him."

That is, if such person comes and does not bring the true teaching. Perhaps the person is engaged in preaching. But what if such person comes and brings a wholesome teaching? Obviously the woman will accept him. Notice another thing, what if such person comes without any preaching, but he came to ask about your welfare, he came to just say a normal greeting and walk away, or he came to seek for secular work? According to JWs, you will still not speak to such person. But that is not what this place is talking about. The point is on wrong message, not on the individual. If a church preacher sees you to tell you the need to repent of your sins, is that the incorrect message John has in mind? Not at all. The funny thing is that the JWs do still carry false message to people's homes, I mean message they one day say its false, yet they expect you to keep putting up with those false teachings until their GB will change it. At times they don't change it, or they change it to another worse teaching. But they want you to keep welcoming them.

If among JWs and you welcome a preacher from another church, you could be disfellowshiped by them. But the same issue happened at 2 Cor 11, yet Paul didn't disfellowship anybody. We read:

4 For as it is, if someone comes and preaches a Jesus other than the one we preached, or you receive a spirit other than what you received, or good news other than what you accepted, you easily put up with him."

This congregation allowed people to preach a different doctrine, what JW will call apostasy, yet no one was disfellowshiped. But they were only counselled against such. But in another occasion, people who opposed Paul preached correct message about Christ, Paul rejoiced instead. We read, Phil 1

"True, some are preaching the Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill.  16 The latter are proclaiming the Christ out of love, for they know that I have been appointed to defend the good news;  17 but the former do it out of contentiousness, not with a pure motive, for they are intending to create trouble for me in my prison bonds.  18 With what result? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is being proclaimed, and I rejoice over this. In fact, I will also keep on rejoicing,"

Paul didn't say " oh no, they are Christendom, they are apostates, God will destroy them in Armageddon." Paul was happy that Christ is being preached. So John's point was against wrong message, not just every message coming from others.

There were times when false teachers were disfellowshiped however, example, Hymenaeus and Philectus. (2tim 2:17). But this must be a serious apostasy that became popular and notorious. Why did I say so? Because the superfine apostles at 2cor 11 to 13 were doing the same thing, yet they remained. We will also notice that the disfellowship of these men affected those who did the wrong, not those who listened or associated with them. 2tim 2:18 shows that they were subverting the faith of some, but those who were being subverted were not disfellowshiped. Paul too didn't threaten those who listened to the superfine apostles with disfellowship at 2cor 11. Lastly, even while the incest man was under disfellowship, some in the congregation didn't follow Paul's advise to discipline the man. We can see this at 2cor 2:6. Those who obeyed are in majority, meaning that there were minority that didn't obey. Paul didn't order that those ones that didn't obey should also be disfellowshiped as JWs do.

We can clearly see from the scriptures that JWs go overboard in applying disfellowship against their members. A single sin will warrant an immediate Judicial Committee. If you discuss with anyone disfellowshiped, you stand to be disfellowshiped yourself if you don't stop talking to them. They obviously do this to maintain control and silence any critic. They even make it righteousness to report any who go against their view. So we can see that the policy is not bible based, it's geared towards maintaining a high control religion. That is the logical conclusion.
Re: Ministry To Jws, Part 6 - The Shunning Policy by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:36pm On Dec 28, 2023
Sand2022:

A single sin will warrant an immediate Judicial Committee.
For what do I have to do with judging those outside? Do you not judge those inside, while God judges those outside? “Remove the wicked person from among yourselves" 1 Corinthians 5:12-13
Please who are to do this JUDGING in the absence of a JUDICIAL COMMITTEE? undecided

Sand2022:

If you discuss with anyone disfellowshiped, you stand to be disfellowshiped yourself if you don't stop talking to them.
If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your homes or say a greeting to him. For the one who says a greeting to him is a sharer in his wicked works! 2John 10-11
Apostle John said we must stop talking or greeting disfellowshiped ones.

Sand2022:

They obviously do this to maintain control and silence any critic. They even make it righteousness to report any who go against their view.
Now I urge you, brothers, through the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you should all speak in agreement and that there should be no divisions among you, but that you may be completely united in the same mind and in the same line of thought. 1Corinthians 1:10
Paul explained that whoever doesn't agree with the oneness we shared shouldn't be viewed as a brother anymore:
"Now I urge you, brothers, to keep your eye on those who create divisions and causes for stumbling contrary to the teaching that you have learned, and avoid them" Romans 16:17

Sand2022:

So we can see that the policy is not bible based, it's geared towards maintaining a high control religion. That is the logical conclusion.
We based everything on the scriptures just as the first century Christians adhere strictly to the teachings of those taking the lead among them! Act 2:42; Hebrews 13:17

May you have PEACE! smiley

1 Like

Re: Ministry To Jws, Part 6 - The Shunning Policy by Sand2022: 4:46pm On Dec 30, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

For what do I have to do with judging those outside? Do you not judge those inside, while God judges those outside? “Remove the wicked person from among yourselves" 1 Corinthians 5:12-13
Please who are to do this JUDGING in the absence of a JUDICIAL COMMITTEE? undecided

If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your homes or say a greeting to him. For the one who says a greeting to him is a sharer in his wicked works! 2John 10-11

Now I urge you, brothers, through the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you should all speak in agreement and that there should be no divisions among you, but that you may be completely united in the same mind and in the same line of thought. 1Corinthians 1:10
Paul explained that whoever doesn't agree with the oneness we shared shouldn't be viewed as a brother anymore:
"Now I urge you, brothers, to keep your eye on those who create divisions and causes for stumbling contrary to the teaching that you have learned, and avoid them" Romans 16:17

We based everything on the scriptures just as the first century Christians adhere strictly to the teachings of those taking the lead among them! Act 2:42; Hebrews 13:17

Out of context response. Try again
Re: Ministry To Jws, Part 6 - The Shunning Policy by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:10pm On Dec 30, 2023
Sand2022:

Out of context response. Try again

Explain what those scriptures are saying and the organization that's practicing it if not what JWs are doing? wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ministry To Jws, Part 6 - The Shunning Policy by Emusan(m): 7:20pm On Dec 30, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

So anyone who doesn't accept JWs teaching is a WICKED PERSON.

Is this what those verses were saying?

If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your homes or say a greeting to him. For the one who says a greeting to him is a sharer in his wicked works! 2John 10-11[/b]

The key point is @underline.

"Bring this teaching

Which teaching was the Apostle John talking about here?

Reading from verse 7 will shield more light on this.

"7 Many liars have gone out into the world. These deceitful liars are saying Jesus Christ did not have a truly human body. But they are liars and the enemies of Christ. 8 So be sure not to lose what we[c] have worked for. If you do, you won't be given your full reward. 9 Don't keep changing what you were taught about Christ, or else God will no longer be with you. But if you hold firmly to what you were taught, both the Father and the Son will be with you.

What teaching is Apostle Paul was talking about here?

If you base everything on the scripture, where does 1914 belong in the scripture? cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Ministry To Jws, Part 6 - The Shunning Policy by Sand2022: 4:24pm On Jan 11
MaxInDHouse:

Explain what those scriptures are saying and the organization that's practicing it if not what JWs are doing? wink

I have responded to them in the op
Re: Ministry To Jws, Part 6 - The Shunning Policy by MaxInDHouse(m): 5:15pm On Jan 11
Sand2022:

I have responded to them in the op

So in a nutshell what those scriptures says are not to be practiced shey? cheesy
Re: Ministry To Jws, Part 6 - The Shunning Policy by Sand2022: 2:45pm On Jan 18
MaxInDHouse:

So in a nutshell what those scriptures says are not to be practiced shey? cheesy

Check the response I gave.
Re: Ministry To Jws, Part 6 - The Shunning Policy by MaxInDHouse(m): 6:56pm On Jan 18
Sand2022:

Check the response I gave.
It's OK we know what the scriptures say and those practicing it! wink
Re: Ministry To Jws, Part 6 - The Shunning Policy by Janosky: 8:58am On Feb 24
Emusan:

So anyone who doesn't accept JWs teaching is a WICKED PERSON.

Is this what those verses were saying?

Is 1 Corinthians 5:1-13 in your own Bible?

Study it again and again until you receive Sense

Emusan:

The key point is @underline.

"Bring this teaching

Which teaching was the Apostle John talking about here?

Reading from verse 7 will shield more light on this.

"7 Many liars have gone out into the world. These deceitful liars are saying Jesus Christ did not have a truly human body. But they are liars and the enemies of Christ. 8 So be sure not to lose what we[c] have worked for. If you do, you won't be given your full reward. 9 Don't keep changing what you were taught about Christ, or else God will no longer be with you. But if you hold firmly to what you were taught, both the Father and the Son will be with you.What teaching is Apostle Paul was talking about here?

So, what's your point?
Did your own Bible, Romans 8:3 & Galatians 4:4 proven that Jesus was born in human form on earth?

Emusan:

If you base everything on the scripture, where does 1914 belong in the scripture? cheesy

Ezra 1:1-4. 1 chronicles 36:20-23. Jehovah's prophets said King Cyrus will free Israel captive for 70 years in Babylon.

Secular history such as the New World Encyclopedia proven the year king Cyrus set Israel from was 537 BCE.
537 BCE plus 70 years captivity equals 607BCE.

Bible chronology verified by secular history= 1914 CE.

cheesy grin cheesy grin

(1) (Reply)

What Happens When Your Heart Stops Beating / South Africa Has Made A Terrible Mistake In Taking Israel To Court / A Christian Brother Came To Preach To Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.